PDA

View Full Version : Whale hunting is a horribly stupid, uselsess game feature and waste of money...

WINTER.S0LDIER
03-16-2013, 05:38 PM
So apparently Black Flag is going to have a whale hunting feature.

It's just a terrible idea.

Who the crap actually wants to play an ASSASSIN'S CREED game to go whale hunting? The money and time used to implement this feature could be put to MUCH better use. I don't know if they thought 'hey this will be controversial!' but... it's just a bad idea... spend more money and time on polish, multiplayer sea-battle feature or just making the world more vibrant, interactive and adding more customization of your crew/home port instead of a pointless side game like this.

itsamea-mario
03-16-2013, 05:40 PM
You are a stupid person.

Whaling was a part of history and just as valid a way of making money for a pirate as actual piracy.

EDIT: aaaaand it sounds fun. so shut up.

WINTER.S0LDIER
03-16-2013, 05:44 PM
While that might be true, it's still a pointlessly stupid side game in an Assassin's Creed game where the focus could be on much more interesting things and features. The time and money being spent to implement this feature could have been put towards more meaningful and rewarding game play experiences.

,.l..

montagemik
03-16-2013, 06:06 PM
While that might be true, it's still a pointlessly stupid side game in an Assassin's Creed game where the focus could be on much more interesting things and features. The time and money being spent to implement this feature could have been put towards more meaningful and rewarding game play experiences.

,.l..

SUCH AS ??? ...........

And keep in mind - Whaling being a pointless sidegame or stupid is just Your opinion .......
It's just a source of income throughout the game .........
Altair had everything provided by the Order - Ezio was a rich nobleman / property developer :rolleyes: - Connor hunted Bears & deer ............Edward hunts Whales / loots ships ...........
Each Assassin had to Live somehow .
Ship battles will be common place enough already in AC4 - So stealing from other ships as the only source of income would get boring quickly .
At least whaling offers a little variety in an OPEN WORLD free roam game . ....... Or would you prefer to endlessly sail between islands & ship battles for the entire game ? .

WalSwJan
03-16-2013, 06:06 PM
I'll hunt some whales for you my PETA-friend. And I am going to enjoy it. :)

Bashilir
03-16-2013, 06:13 PM
If they make the whales do some depressing dying sound once you've "beaten" them, I probably won't do it. I'm not some butthurt PETA follower, or a follower at all but, I'd just feel bad. xD

WINTER.S0LDIER
03-16-2013, 06:14 PM
I think there will be plenty of opportunities to make money from looting enemy ships / possibly treasure hunts / Learning of locations where a ship sank and cargo was lost (there was a screenshot of diving down below to find loot left behind from what I can only presume was a downed ship).

Sure, whaling was a part of life and income. But I'd much rather a game like this focused on things like upgrading/customizing your ship, crew and port. Multiplayer naval battles. Hell even merchant-style missions which you can pick up in port - smuggling runs.

And of course, POLISH. After ACIII I can't help but feel like more money, time and effort should be spent on polishing.

Btw, I'm not saying any of this cuz of some PETA hard on... first off, PETA is a friggin joke of an organization. Secondly, it's a video game. Third, I'm in the game industry and that makes me a little agitated when I see money/time being misused (in my opinion of course) when it could be used to make a game much stronger in other aspects.

AjinkyaParuleka
03-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Whaling would be much fun than just going around bow arrowing,air assassinating,gunning down animals.
As much I would love multiplayer sea battles,that is probably an extremely hard feature to develop,and ***** please,12 billion units,thats ****loads of money.I don't care if they feature it or not in the next game.Its just too hard,might take more than a year to develop,test and bring to the public.
And seriously you'd be bored going from island to island with just ship battles and no whaling.I wonder if you can kill sharks and other stuffs.
By the way,he doesn't seems to be a PETA,he did not state disgusting,pro-whaling Ubisoft or something..probably a guy stating his opinion like the rest of us.

AjinkyaParuleka
03-16-2013, 06:16 PM
sorry for x2 post.But we have crew system,upgrading your own ship,hell,Ubi stated if you don't upgrade the Jackdaw then you won't progress.

ACfan443
03-16-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't see why people are labelling him as a PETA supporter/member, his reasoning for why whaling shouldn't be in the game is not because it's morally wrong, but just because he feels it's a pointless feature, and he should be entitled to his opinion.

I personally don't care about its presence in the game, it's just another side feature.

eagleforlife1
03-16-2013, 06:24 PM
I'll hunt some whales for you my PETA-friend. And I am going to enjoy it. :)

Why is he not allowed an opinion without personal digs coming in? He thinks it's a stupid idea, fair enough. I love animals myself but can't see PETA's point.

Sushiglutton
03-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Think it sounds like a fun activity :). Hopefully the whales will put up a fight so you have to aim your harpoon carefully. I'm also looking forward to jump off the ship to swim with the whales. I wonder if you can stand on them or hold on to them in some way. That would be amazing. As for resources I doubt this is that expensive to implement. They allready have the ships and the swivel cannons. Whale hunting is likely just a reskin of that (more or less).

TheBearJew32
03-16-2013, 06:28 PM
You speak so much about polish this, polish that. Do you forget that they are using the same engine? it's going to be better than AC3 in terms of "polishing" that's almost a given.

D.I.D.
03-16-2013, 06:30 PM
I agree that it doesn't necessarily have to be a mini-game, but I think it's absolutely vital that the whale-hunting issue is featured in detail. The centuries of industrial whaling changed the world, and they're vital to understanding how the world economy worked in that time. If anything, it's a shame we're going to be too early to catch the most interesting part of this period; the scene Ishmael describes in Melville's Moby **** is a fascinating insight into how every substance in the whales was separated, and how it would be put to use in society.

pirate1802
03-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Whale hunting is not more stupid than say.. Connor hunting and skinning animals, both ethically and economically.

itsamea-mario
03-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Why is he not allowed an opinion without personal digs coming in? He thinks it's a stupid idea, fair enough. I love animals myself but can't see PETA's point.

Because the internet.

monster_rambo
03-16-2013, 10:57 PM
If whale hunting turns into a hunting game like ACIII where you only rely on QTEs, I'll pass. If it provides a fun and challenging experience and the whales are not hunted carelessly, then it would be fine.

Assassin_M
03-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Who the crap actually wants to play an ASSASSIN'S CREED game to go -Add anything other than killing people here-
The most ignorant phrase ever...

LoyalACFan
03-16-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't know if they thought 'hey this will be controversial!'

I can guarantee to you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they never thought whale hunting would cause controversy in a series dedicated to murdering political leaders.

I mean, for ****'s sake, PETA is making a bigger deal about killing whales than the Catholic Church did about killing the Pope.

Assassin_M
03-16-2013, 11:26 PM
I can guarantee to you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they never thought whale hunting would cause controversy in a series dedicated to murdering political leaders.

I mean, for ****'s sake, PETA is making a bigger deal about killing whales than the Catholic Church did about *killing the Pope.
*Fist fighting:p

LoyalACFan
03-16-2013, 11:31 PM
*Fist fighting:p

Still, Ezio killed (by my estimation) two priests, an Archbishop, two friars, a couple of Cardinals, and TRIED to kill the Pope... :rolleyes:

ACfan443
03-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Still, Ezio killed (by my estimation) two priests, an Archbishop, two friars, a couple of Cardinals, and TRIED to kill the Pope... :rolleyes:

Gotta love Assassin's Creed :D

AssassinGame1
03-17-2013, 12:06 AM
It is pointless but will most likely be fun and you could probably sell the whale blubber and get money.

Assassin_M
03-17-2013, 12:07 AM
It is pointless
Really ?

but will most likely be fun and you could probably sell the whale blubber and get money.
Uuuuuh...