PDA

View Full Version : Non-linearity

LtBen
04-17-2004, 06:27 AM
In SH2 you had freedom to go wherever you wanted, however, there was no point in doing so. The ships and planes pertained only to that specific mission and there was no point in sightseeing because it was 1990s graphics.

With the revamped graphics engine, will there be good graphics if you decide to head to Bermuda, can you temporarily dock in any friendly port to resupply? Most importantly, will there be ships not pertaining to the mission, like supply convoys crossing the Atlantic?

LtBen
04-17-2004, 06:27 AM
In SH2 you had freedom to go wherever you wanted, however, there was no point in doing so. The ships and planes pertained only to that specific mission and there was no point in sightseeing because it was 1990s graphics.

With the revamped graphics engine, will there be good graphics if you decide to head to Bermuda, can you temporarily dock in any friendly port to resupply? Most importantly, will there be ships not pertaining to the mission, like supply convoys crossing the Atlantic?

Mon Pavion
04-18-2004, 02:14 AM
I think at this point, your guess is as good as ours.

Hitman_PAces
04-18-2004, 03:35 AM
I agree in that ships all over the world give the sensation that a war is really going on and add to the inmersion and realism feeling, but I also reckon that UBoots were asked to strictly stay on their assigned patrol zones. It was not rare to see lots of radio reports telling about convoys you could not reach, and the commanders had to be patient. If they had left their patrol zones on a wild goose chase, they would probably have been courtmartialed http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

LtBen
04-19-2004, 05:58 PM
It wasn't so much of a path of patrol as an area to stay around. If they got a sighting and it was close enough they'd break patrol and join the fray. If they couldn't join it wouldn't be because of patrol zone, it'd be because it would take too long, overheat the engine, use up too much fuel, that sort of thing.

CB..
04-19-2004, 07:23 PM
they could simulate this without causing a drain on resources by perhaps running "dice throws" on the possibility of sub versus convoy encounters in areas outside the players reach ,
rather than in sh2 trying to place subs in the path or airbase spawning them hundreds of miles away when a convoy passes that area..just run a dice throw on the probablities and results
send a radio message and show any deaths or sinkings on the resuts board at the end...theres no chance you would be able to reach these far of areas during yur patrol , and the convoy would be long gone even if you could..so it actually wouldn't be an issue..

would add interest and atmosphere..

CDragon
04-19-2004, 08:34 PM
"Zones of Possibility" would be cool. Since the game is mission orientated, the missions should have as many dynamic trigger structures as humanly possible. Like bases in SH2, Zones of Possibility would define an area where the possibility of a group of ships or planes or whatever would appear if the player entered. Even more, the Zone of Possibility, when triggered, could then choose randomly among many groups to decide which to spawn. Mission scripting doesn't have to be all bad. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DrDeathhand
04-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Greetingss,

You know what I would like to see in the Silent Hunter series?? is that you can influence the course of the war, what I found frustrating in silent hunter2 was the fact that no matter how well you did your thing, in the end it didnt matter, and heck you ARE fighting for the german navy so there should be a way for you as a sailor to influence the course of the war and stuff.

Well I was just wondering if this is possible in the game right now?? and if not if they might make it in the game?? and like if you guys also think if this is a good idea.

Well Greetss from LORD_DrDeathhand

Megahurt
04-22-2004, 12:02 AM
I agree. If sinking huge tonnage doesnt effect the outcome of the war, why bother. I like following orders and getting the job done, but playing a hunch, or sitting outside a harbour and nailing a convoy that HQ never even heard of, can reap rewards too. I hope we can chart a coarse for repairs or decide to see action in the mediterrainian just because we can...Orders be dammed!

walter_gouws
04-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I reckon it would be good if you can, say, prevent an invasion of a country by stopping the troop transports etc.

SailorSteve
04-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Their Finest Hour, by LucasArts, was a Battle Of Britain airplane game which had a campaign which, if playing German, would let you do well enough to go ahead with the invasion of England. It was fun-once. After that it got old.

The reality is than no one submarine is going to do enough to make a difference. Sure, you can say that your single performance might be indicative of the overall performance of the entire U-bootwaffe, and that sort of thing works well in a game about a future war; but answer this-do you want Germany to win the war?

Always keep you clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Mohican2000
04-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Why not? It´s a game.

SOF_Timber
04-22-2004, 11:17 AM
I also agree...it's a game. Maybe if you did real good for the Fatherland the SH3 developers could make a fictional "bonus mission".

CDragon
04-22-2004, 11:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SOF_Timber:
I also agree...it's a game. Maybe if you did real good for the Fatherland the SH3 developers could make a fictional "bonus mission".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooo, yeah, the "UberMensch" mission, where you are the captain of a Type XXI uboat towing a special submersible barge/container carrying a heavily modified V2 rocket outfitted with the super-secret "Fat Kinder" atomic bomb. Your mission: Vaporize Manhatten, to compel the Allies to come to terms other than unconditional surrender, that would preserve the borders of a Pre-war Third Reich while leaving the Nazis in power.

Alas, the Allies, through decrypted Enigma intercepts, have learned something of this plan and have deployed an impressive array of hunter/killers in your path.

Can you complete your mission, end the war, and secure the Thousand Year Reich? Or will you die trying in your iron coffin?

Stay tuned!

SOF_Timber
04-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Now that sounds good! Ubi... you guys listening?

Egan2.0
04-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Gotta throw my two pence in here. I am not a fan of 'What if?' style Historical campaigns. A single U-boot couldn't change the war on it's own.

I don't want it to be a 'game' I want it to be a 'simulator.' Same goes for swanning around the world on a submersible pleasure boat. fine, as long as you get court martialled for dereliction of duties.

But then, it always bugged me in SH2 when i got more tonnage in a single patrol than Kretchsmer got in his whole career. I guess i'm just weird... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

CDragon
04-22-2004, 12:12 PM
But...but...a dynamic campaign is inherently non-historical because of the very nature of its randomness. Sure, you can start off in September 1939 with all the ships exactly where they were historically, but then all bets are off. The whole thing quickly diverges. What happens if you, as uboat captain, encounter the HMS Hood and sink her in June, 1940? What is the Bismarck to do?

Egan2.0
04-22-2004, 12:31 PM
You are quite right, a dynamic campaign IS inherently non-historical as once you take it up, history does indeed go out the window. But let me clarify.

Perhaps we should be talking about a 'realistic' campaign here instead of 'historical'. In a 'realistic' campaign you would be subject to the same sort of limitations as real U-boot captains would, you would follow orders, communicate with base and adhere to regulations that would already be laid down for you. In some situations you would be free to do what you felt was best.

If you came across the Hood and put it under, fine. that was a realistic possibility for u-boots until it was sunk.

Going sailing of into the blue in the hope that hunting may be better down in the tropics isn't 'realistic' although perhaps communicating with base and requesting permission to travel to a new area is.

In either case winning the war on your own is just silly.

Hey, I really don't mind a 'what if' campaign or single missions as long as a 'realistic' campaign is included to...

CB..
04-22-2004, 01:51 PM
one has to consider the possibility that recreating the experiences of a u-boat crew/captain is allso considered historical accuracy, in that at the time the whole situation was in fact dynamic and ever changing
and he had absolutely no idea that the hood wasnt supposed to get sunk till later (time machines not having been invented nor equiped as standard u-boat equipment at that time /alledgedly http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

realism historical accuracy and so on can in fact be just about anything yu want (within certain parameters of course)...but shouldnt neccesarily in-clude nor exclude anything in an abitrary selection of personal "flavouritism"

said Dougal http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif