PDA

View Full Version : Pirates

Echwaz
03-13-2013, 03:04 PM
So just thought I'd open up a discussion for what pirates you guys think we'll be seeing or would like to see in Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag. Keep in mind we already received confirmation that Edward Teach aka Black Beard and Charles Vane.
I personally would like to have some time with Calico Jack and his crew not to mention Anne Bonny and Mary Read who were part of his crew, and would allow for some less temperamental and cruel pirates to be seen compared to Teach and Vane.
[Another good reason to have him is to insert Edward Kenway as a friend of Calico and crew and break into the prison and save Bonny]

MasterAssasin84
03-13-2013, 03:28 PM
So just thought I'd open up a discussion for what pirates you guys think we'll be seeing or would like to see in Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag. Keep in mind we already received confirmation that Edward Teach aka Black Beard and Charles Vane.
I personally would like to have some time with Calico Jack and his crew not to mention Anne Bonny and Mary Read who were part of his crew, and would allow for some less temperamental and cruel pirates to be seen compared to Teach and Vane.
[Another good reason to have him is to insert Edward Kenway as a friend of Calico and crew and break into the prison and save Bonny]

I am not to familier with Famous Pirates other than Edward Teach but i would imagine Assasins Creed going down the historical route will feature some famous faces or the Golden age of piracy. i will need to brush up on my History about pirates to fully give an explanation as to whom i would like to see.

pirate1802
03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
It will feature me ofcourse..

MasterAssasin84
03-13-2013, 04:00 PM

I was gonna say Pirate1802 :p

Echwaz
03-13-2013, 04:35 PM

but you don't even "yarrrr" :l

Well assassin's creed always tries to work in historic characters of note I just hope they don't magic school bus it like AC3, seriously riding with Paul Revier and the signing of the declaration was pretty shoved in.

MasterAssasin84
03-13-2013, 04:43 PM

Well assassin's creed always tries to work in historic characters of note I just hope they don't magic school bus it like AC3, seriously riding with Paul Revier and the signing of the declaration was pretty shoved in.

But Paul Revere was famouse for alerting the Colonists of the arrival of the british loyalists and the signing of the declaration the historical characters who signed the decree in the game was present during the real thing so i would say ubi's research was pretty spot on.

ProletariatPleb
03-13-2013, 04:46 PM
But Paul Revere was famouse for alerting the Colonists of the arrival of the british loyalists and the signing of the declaration the historical characters who signed the decree in the game was present during the real thing so i would say ubi's research was pretty spot on.
He's talking about Connor doing that...

TheHumanTowel
03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
He means there was no need for Connor to be present on the ride or at the signing of the Declaration of independence. It was just forced to have him there.

MasterAssasin84
03-13-2013, 05:00 PM
He means there was no need for Connor to be present on the ride or at the signing of the Declaration of independence. It was just forced to have him there.

But why not ? Thats the fiction of it .

Echwaz
03-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Yup~

Connor was an assassin and while he was himself a little in favor for the rebels he was not one himself "They mistake me for one of their own"-Connor upon receiving a letter asking for aid. Connor had no business attending these occurrences because he was an assassin and had no real interest in these events because they did not pertain to him nor his people whom he wants to protect. These events could have been mentioned but not need waste time, Connor could have at the msot should have shadowed reviere to to stop Templar agents from killing him. Or could have if wanted watched the townhouse from the roof while looking for agents.

At anyrate I felt it was just a bit much and was not needed and felt a little unnatural for Connor's character, and therefore my statement that I hope they don't make it so shoehorned in with historic moments or characters in AC4

pirate1802
03-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Because I'm being polite :)

Right. I felt in AC III the writers tried VERY hard to shove history in it and as a result, didn't feel natural. Consider: This was not a case with AC 1 and 2, or the side-sequels. Why? Because AC 1 was not ABOUT the Holy War, that was merely the backdrop. AC2 wasn't about the Renaissance. But AC 3 is ABOUT America's independence. I think putting the plot right in the middle of a big huge historical event proved detrimental. Many of Connor's meetings with the historical characters felt forced.. like you said, revere, the declaration of Independence.. AC works beset when it uses history as a platform to tell its own story, not retelling us the whole historical event with our assassin thrown into the mix. let's hope AC IV learns from this mistake.

TheHumanTowel
03-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Connor doesn't have to be directly involved in every famous moment of the American Revolution. Paul Revere's ride was one of the worst missions in the game. Taking Revere's directions while you ride. If he knew the way why didn't he just ride himself? Connor was only there because Ubi wanted to force him into to another moment of the revolution no matter how unsuitable it is. The Declaration of Independence is another one. Why is Connor there? Because Ubi wanted him to be an 18th century Forrest Gump. You think no one would think to remark on the heavily armed Native American who for some reason was hanging around the signing? It was bad because Ubi placed too much emphasis on having Connor appear at historical events than on what would actually be good missions and flow with the story.

Echwaz
03-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Because I'm being polite :)

Right. I felt in AC III the writers tried VERY hard to shove history in it and as a result, didn't feel natural. Consider: This was not a case with AC 1 and 2, or the side-sequels. Why? Because AC 1 was not ABOUT the Holy War, that was merely the backdrop. AC2 wasn't about the Renaissance. But AC 3 is ABOUT America's independence. I think putting the plot right in the middle of a big huge historical event proved detrimental. Many of Connor's meetings with the historical characters felt forced.. like you said, revere, the declaration of Independence.. AC works beset when it uses history as a platform to tell its own story, not retelling us the whole historical event with our assassin thrown into the mix. let's hope AC IV learns from this mistake.
hehe well black beard was pretty much as polite as you could get when it comes to prisoners and captives..

Exactly the events of the time period are supposed to be an aid for the story and game-play. They are supposed to help make the Templar and Assassin story feel more grounded.

Connor doesn't have to be directly involved in every famous moment of the American Revolution. Paul Revere's ride was one of the worst missions in the game. Taking Revere's directions while you ride. If he knew the way why didn't he just ride himself? Connor was only there because Ubi wanted to force him into to another moment of the revolution no matter how unsuitable it is. The Declaration of Independence is another one. Why is Connor there? Because Ubi wanted him to be an 18th century Forrest Gump. You think no one would think to remark on the heavily armed Native American who for some reason was hanging around the signing? It was bad because Ubi placed too much emphasis on having Connor appear at historical events than on what would actually be good missions and flow with the story.

Yeah I mean suspension of disbelief but seriously no one questions the 5'11(my perspective) Native American armed to the teeth sitting here and watching this? I mean sure I am willing to bet Samual helped him enter the building but why would Conner want to be there?

Yet again point made, so I simply hope that we go back to the more stylized meetings and such with past AC games when AC4 comes out