PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think that AC5 should be set during the holocaust?

Fappin-Dragon
03-13-2013, 02:46 AM
I was debating this with my friend and i strongly believe that Ubisoft should set the next AC during WWI. I know it would be difficult because of the modern weaponry but i believe Ubisoft could find a way to make it work.

Eternal Reward
03-13-2013, 02:49 AM
The problem is, for me, the setting. AC games ALWAYS have been centralize around a few cities, with a little "wilderness" area, and thats it. Sometimes we go to some remote place, but its always just for one mission, or its one of the cities.

Also, I REALLY don't want to have an machine-gun equipped Assassin. It would be stupid. I would say WWI latest, after that everything is too much gun based. Even in WWI I see it being hard for them to pull it off.

rileypoole1234
03-13-2013, 02:53 AM
I think 1920 is the latest an Assassin's Creed game can be set, and that's REALLY late. I personally think a roaring twenties game would be really cool, but there's a part of me that says it wouldn't be as well.

LoyalACFan
03-13-2013, 02:55 AM
No. Honestly, anything past 1850 would be far too gun-centric. Melee combat would either be completely obsolete, or ridiculously anachronistic (see Desmond's Abstergo infiltration). And the absolute last thing I want to happen is for AC to become another shooter game.

Fappin-Dragon
03-13-2013, 02:57 AM
I see what your saying, but maybe it could be set a little bit before the Nazi regime takes complete control of basically all of Eastern Europe, so maybe the S.S. could just have nightsticks or something, kinda like how Batman Arkham City was, with few enemies with firearms, but most with melee weapons.

LoyalACFan
03-13-2013, 03:02 AM
I see what your saying, but maybe it could be set a little bit before the Nazi regime takes complete control of basically all of Eastern Europe, so maybe the S.S. could just have nightsticks or something, kinda like how Batman Arkham City was, with few enemies with firearms, but most with melee weapons.

Nah, man... It worked in Arkham City because you were fighting a bunch of prison inmates who weren't even supposed to have guns in the first place. Going up against a formal, world-class army in the 1930s who just happen to have no guns? I don't think so. It would feel too much like the Abstergo goons who conveniently forgot they had semiautomatic pistols, and even when they used them, they would fire one shot and re-holster it...

Anyway, I'm EXTREMELY tired of WWII-era games. Not even AC could make me interested in playing another one.

Eternal Reward
03-13-2013, 03:03 AM

That would be a lame way to have a game set in friggen WWII play....

BATISTABUS
03-13-2013, 03:11 AM
I'm too cautious about modern weaponry, and WWII has been done to death in just about every entertainment medium.

Enhance89
03-13-2013, 03:14 AM
I don't think it would work with the Assassin's Creed series. I only see it working in two ways. One, you'd have to make it more of a shooter game, meaning you'd have to change the game's mechanics and implement a cover system. Any third person shooter game that wants to be successful has to have some form of working cover system. And I have to be honest, I don't want to crouch behind boxes with a Thompson.

The second option is to make the missions more scripted. For example, Captain Kidd's treasure mission at Fort Wolcott is heavily scripted in comparison to other missions. You pretty much have one path and almost every kill is laid out for you. And while those missions are fun, they're better used as a change of pace. And the reason you'd have to do this is because a lot of people aren't advanced enough to survey an entire surrounding and make their moves without drawing a lot of attention to themselves. People would get gunned down by machine gun fire left and right.

Furthermore, I think one thing that makes AC so appealing is the fact that it's set centuries in the past and there are no automatic weapons. Almost every action game today involves automatic guns. AC is a different breed and should stay that way.

Fappin-Dragon
03-13-2013, 03:17 AM
I would have to disagree with you guys. I just believe it would make a great storyline, i mean think about it. You play as a Jewish citizen of France, Poland, Germany, etc. and your parents were killed by the S.S. You get introduced to the Assassins and so on. On the last mission, you join the Allies in their storming of Berlin and you kill Hitler, i mean, there is alot of mystery surrounding Hitlers death, so maybe you kill him, or on the last mission you join the Russians in their liberation of Auschwitz and resuce the Concentration camp prisoners. I just believe that if Ubisoft did consider making an AC in WWI-WWII era, they would find a way to make it work.

xx-pyro
03-13-2013, 03:39 AM
If you're going to be storming Berlin you'd probably be on the Russian front, considering they are the ones who captured the city single handedly :cool:

Eternal Reward
03-13-2013, 03:46 AM
If you're going to be storming Berlin you'd probably be on the Russian front, considering they are the ones who captured the city single handedly :cool:

YEEAAAHH....about that...

Assassin_M
03-13-2013, 04:03 AM
Nope..

pirate1802
03-13-2013, 04:30 AM
No. Honestly, anything past 1850 would be far too gun-centric. Melee combat would either be completely obsolete, or ridiculously anachronistic (see Desmond's Abstergo infiltration). And the absolute last thing I want to happen is for AC to become another shooter game.

Dis loyal AC fan gets it. I too think 1850s should be the cut-off time (but we should still be able to sneak in an India-centric game, plesh Ubi?) and like him I think the Abstergo infiltration was beyond ridiculous and shows AC can't work in a gunned enviornment. Sadly.

Have you played The Saboteur, good sire? Its an AC game without the Assassins Creed logo on it. It borrows so many concepts from AC that sometimes I feel like I'm playing an AC game (and I mean it as a good thing), and it takes place in Nazi-occupied Paris and its countryside, so you also have your main city and Frontiers! :D Its got stealth sections, climbing tall buildings, and also limited roofrunning. Win win. Try it, its a great game, and a tale of revenge like AC2.

Assassin_M
03-13-2013, 04:40 AM
Have you played The Saboteur, good sire? Its an AC game without the Assassins Creed logo on it. It borrows so many concepts from AC that sometimes I feel like I'm playing an AC game (and I mean it as a good thing), and it takes place in Nazi-occupied Paris and its countryside, so you also have your main city and Frontiers! :D Its got stealth sections, climbing tall buildings, and also limited roofrunning. Win win. Try it, its a great game, and a tale of revenge like AC2.
Greatly underrated...

Awesome game

NvmberFiveUA
03-13-2013, 05:16 AM
Won't happen Ubisoft has said it would be "boring' for an AC game. Go play Brothers in Arms Road to Hill 30.

I-Like-Pie45
03-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Only if we get to play from the German perspective.

Megas_Doux
03-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Too modern and gun oriented

LightRey
03-13-2013, 10:09 AM
No, and luckily it never will either.

AjinkyaParuleka
03-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Lol wait,isn't WWs are in the not-gonna-come-evah list of Ubisoft?I would seriously hate Any Shooter game except Crysis.They should make it like after a century when that generation doesn't even knows what happened the last week.

MasterAssasin84
03-13-2013, 11:00 AM
I was debating this with my friend and i strongly believe that Ubisoft should set the next AC during WWI. I know it would be difficult because of the modern weaponry but i believe Ubisoft could find a way to make it work.

For me WW1 and WW2 is a very boring setting for an AC game , i mean how many games have been centered around those settings ? i agree with AC team that its very unoriginal.

But right now i am more concerned about AC4 ( exciting stuff ) rather than AC5

emperior
03-13-2013, 12:12 PM
WW1 could work and not many games feature it.
It basically should be guerrilla warfare. You infiltrate enemy camps and stealthy kill them but it would be boring.
WW1 is boring.

Billiam301
03-13-2013, 07:09 PM
I think WW2 would work, good cities (Munich and Berlin would be good major cities) and good enemies (the nazis obviously). And it wouldn't have to be your classic War game, maybe play as a german citizen who became a Nazi during the failing Wiemar Republic but join the assassin's after coming into contact with a PoE that shows what will happen when Hitler becomes dictator, and try and assassinate him

ProletariatPleb
03-13-2013, 07:11 PM
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no

And Holocaust wasn't in World War 1 but 2.

pirate1802
03-13-2013, 07:13 PM
I think WW2 would work, good cities (Munich and Berlin would be good major cities) and good enemies (the nazis obviously). And it wouldn't have to be your classic War game, maybe play as a german citizen who became a Nazi during the failing Wiemar Republic but join the assassin's after coming into contact with a PoE that shows what will happen when Hitler becomes dictator, and try and assassinate him

There's already such a game:

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Richmedia/Image/Screenshots/the-saboteur-pc-eiffel-tower_656x369.jpg?cb=1334003796

Can't see AC working well with guns, no matter how pretty the cities are.

ProletariatPleb
03-13-2013, 07:14 PM

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Richmedia/Image/Screenshots/the-saboteur-pc-eiffel-tower_656x369.jpg?cb=1334003796

Nailed it.

pacmanate
03-13-2013, 07:23 PM
The further you go in time, the less appealing the architecture is, thats one of my gripes with AC3. Compare AC3's buildings with Florence or Venice and you will know what I mean. I don't think they should go past the American Revolution tbf.

pirate1802
03-13-2013, 07:25 PM
The further you go in time, the less appealing the architecture is, thats one of my gripes with AC3. Compare AC3's buildings with Florence or Venice and you will know what I mean. I don't think they should go past the American Revolution tbf.

But..but..but what about 1850s India? We have good buildings! :) Not like those wooden huts!

Bastiaen
03-13-2013, 08:03 PM
I doubt it will happen... But I believe that Ubisoft could pull off doing it well.

Bastiaen
03-13-2013, 08:07 PM
WW1 could work and not many games feature it.
It basically should be guerrilla warfare. You infiltrate enemy camps and stealthy kill them but it would be boring.
WW1 is boring.

WWI is not boring at all. A person can't understand WWII until they understand the real politics that drove WWI (None of that Franz Ferdinand stuff). Only then can you understand why WWII happened and from there why the modern world is structured the way that it is.

MinuteGlobe
03-13-2013, 08:22 PM
I love how people say that AC is going to become a first person shooter if they have guns. AC2 had a gun on ezio's vembrace, in brotherhood, you could use guns, same in revelations and in 3, you could use pistols and muskets and in black flag, you can use up to 4 pistols plus, in Desmond's sections, you could use modern guns and they all worked relatively easy. and so what if you can go into a first person mode? as long as the whole game is not a fps and you could switch to first person view for some guns say, machine guns and snipers but everything else works exactly like an AC game, what's the problem? I think it'd be kinda neat if you could go in first person view if you have a gun.

nitres15
03-13-2013, 08:29 PM
No.

pirate1802
03-13-2013, 08:30 PM
I love how people say that AC is going to become a first person shooter if they have guns. AC2 had a gun on ezio's vembrace, in brotherhood, you could use guns, same in revelations and in 3, you could use pistols and muskets and in black flag, you can use up to 4 pistols plus,

All of these were single-shot, high reload guns, except the Ezio gun but then it was a weapon only available to him and not his enemies. The problem is kinda compounded when EVERYONE has access to fully automatic weapons. Using knives in a fully automatic enviornment would look as stupid as walking into a facility full of armed guards only with a knife. Oh wait... :p

in Desmond's sections, you could use modern guns and they all worked relatively easy.

Let's not go there.. XD

..you could switch to first person view for some guns say, machine guns and snipers but everything else works exactly like an AC game, what's the problem? I think it'd be kinda neat if you could go in first person view if you have a gun.

R.I.P AC, Welcome CoD..

SaintPerkele
03-13-2013, 08:31 PM
No, I don't want to see this. Unlike reasons like guns and too modern and so on, I think the event of the holocaust is just too horrible and too close to today in terms of years to use it for a commercial product like Assassin's Creed.
I'm aware that Saboteur did it and I'm perfectly fine with that, as it was set in Paris where no extermination camps were close. Also, Saboteur was in certain terms true to the actual history. But Assassin's Creed? The usual conspiracy stuff, Templars and Assassins and magical artifacts and all of that with the holocaust somewhere in there? No, no and no, that is an insult to the victims of these horrible crimes.

ProletariatPleb
03-13-2013, 08:32 PM
I love how people say that AC is going to become a first person shooter if they have guns. AC2 had a gun on ezio's vembrace, in brotherhood, you could use guns, same in revelations and in 3, you could use pistols and muskets and in black flag, you can use up to 4 pistols plus, in Desmond's sections, you could use modern guns and they all worked relatively easy. and so what if you can go into a first person mode? as long as the whole game is not a fps and you could switch to first person view for some guns say, machine guns and snipers but everything else works exactly like an AC game, what's the problem? I think it'd be kinda neat if you could go in first person view if you have a gun.

http://i.imgur.com/jBQsZsU.jpg

Fappin-Dragon
03-13-2013, 09:49 PM
I agree with MinuteGlobe. Just because the game would feature automatic weapons doesnt mean that it is going to turn as ****ty as CoD, and anyways, it would keep the annoying *** kids away from the game by increasing the difficulty. If someone pops up in your face with an MP40 and you dont kill them quick enough, you die. It will make the game a little more difficult. I personally enjoy difficult games, and the combat could be a little more complex (not that i dont like the combat already).

Assassin_M
03-13-2013, 09:54 PM
I agree with MinuteGlobe. Just because the game would feature automatic weapons doesnt mean that it is going to turn as ****ty as CoD, and anyways, it would keep the annoying *** kids away from the game by increasing the difficulty. If someone pops up in your face with an MP40 and you dont kill them quick enough, you die. It will make the game a little more difficult. I personally enjoy difficult games, and the combat could be a little more complex (not that i dont like the combat already).
Keep kids away ??

No...just no..Guns are gonna keep kids away ? tell me again how more than half CoD players are not kids...

When did all these "we want WW" people come anyway ??

Dammed casuals...

ProletariatPleb
03-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Assassin's Creed is far from difficult or even challenging.

And the whole charm of the game is not falling into the modern firearms business. Melee combat. If it throws that away as well...well guess what, we have another CoD. Just no.

Sushiglutton
03-13-2013, 09:59 PM
I think the Holocaust is a subject a bit too sensitive for AC. AC is not really mature enough to deal with a topic like that. I mean after all you are going to murder a massive amout of people in stylish ways. Combining this with the Holocaust would just feel awkward to me. A WW2 AC could technically work (like infiltrating the Eagle's Nest), but there are others eras I would much prefer.

ProletariatPleb
03-13-2013, 10:00 PM
I think the Holocaust is a subject a bit too sensitive for AC. AC is not really mature enough to deal with a topic like that. I mean after all you are going to murder a massive amout of people in stylish ways. Combining this with the Holocaust would just feel awkward to me. A WW2 AC could technically work (like infiltrating the Eagle's Nest), but there are others eras I would much prefer.
OP is confused himself as he mentions World War I and Holocaust...

Sushiglutton
03-13-2013, 10:07 PM
OP is confused himself as he mentions World War I and Holocaust...

I assumed that was a missprint ;)

ProletariatPleb
03-13-2013, 10:08 PM
I assumed that was a missprint ;)
A typo you mean...I'll not discount anything right now with the ridiculous ideas...

Eternal Reward
03-13-2013, 10:39 PM
But..but..but what about 1850s India? We have good buildings! :) Not like those wooden huts!

Pics or it didn't happen.

ProletariatPleb
03-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.
Google.

BATISTABUS
03-13-2013, 10:41 PM
If anything, I think this is the perfect issue for AC to take on. They handled Native American genocide issues in AC3, and slavery in AC3:L.

The "sensitive issues" aren't the problem for me, but even so, I'd prefer sensitive issues that aren't so frequently handled by other media.

Eternal Reward
03-13-2013, 10:52 PM
They handled Native American genocide issues in AC3, and slavery in AC3:L.

I have to disagreed. They barely touched on the actual grit of them. For American Indians, all they said was that they got kicked out, nothing on the wars and genocides. For slavery, Connor saw it like twice, and just basically said "That bad."

They definitely barely brushed the actual bad stuff.

Sushiglutton
03-13-2013, 10:58 PM
If anything, I think this is the perfect issue for AC to take on. They handled Native American genocide issues in AC3, and slavery in AC3:L.

The "sensitive issues" aren't the problem for me, but even so, I'd prefer sensitive issues that aren't so frequently handled by other media.

The Native genocide was very much in the background. Something like that could work for a WW2 game too. But having the Holocaust as a central theme, showing victims and all the horror. And then you double assassinate a couple of Nazis. To me that would be super distasteful.

BATISTABUS
03-13-2013, 11:03 PM
I have to disagreed. They barely touched on the actual grit of them. For American Indians, all they said was that they got kicked out, nothing on the wars and genocides. For slavery, Connor saw it like twice, and just basically said "That bad."

They definitely barely brushed the actual bad stuff.
You see a child cry as his mother is burned to the ground with the rest of his village right in front of him. There's some subtle stuff that isn't shoved in your face too, such as Ratonhnhake:ton getting a European name. It's not getting down to the heart of the issue, but this is still a game.

I never played AC3:L, so I'm just going by what the devs have said.

But having the Holocaust as a central theme, showing victims and all the horror. And then you double assassinate a couple of Nazis. To me that would be super distasteful.

Maybe I just misinterpreted what this person wanted? I don't think people want an AC game where you are a concentration camp prisoner living out your days and witnessing all of these horrors in real game time.

Farlander1991
03-13-2013, 11:04 PM
The Native genocide was very much in the background. Something like that could work for a WW2 game too. But having the Holocaust as a central theme, showing victims and all the horror. And then you double assassinate a couple of Nazis. To me that would be super distasteful.

Not to mention that people WILL try to kill Jews (because, well, that's just how a lot of players are, actually), and that may bring a REALLY unwanted attention of the press (which puts up a fuss over the Tyranny of King Washington thing).

It's too recent. If there's a game about Crusaders massacring Jerusalem in the First Crusade as a focus, people won't care that much because a 1000 years have passed, but Holocaust... yeah, it's kinda TOO sensitive to be handled in a game where you can kill pretty much anyone.

Sushiglutton
03-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Maybe I just misinterpreted what this person wanted? I don't think people want an AC game where you are a concentration camp prisoner living out your days and witnessing all of these horrors in real game time.

I guess we pretty much agree then, just interpreted OP different?

Not to mention that people WILL try to kill Jews (because, well, that's just how a lot of players are, actually), and that may bring a REALLY unwanted attention of the press (which puts up a fuss over the Tyranny of King Washington thing).

It's too recent. If there's a game about Crusaders massacring Jerusalem in the First Crusade as a focus, people won't care that much because a 1000 years have passed, but Holocaust... yeah, it's kinda TOO sensitive to be handled in a game where you can kill pretty much anyone.

Yeah the Washington thing would be NOTHING compared to what would happen then. If you are going to make a game about the Holocaust I think something similar to Heavy Rain could work. But you would need a very delicate touch for sure.

BATISTABUS
03-13-2013, 11:20 PM
I guess we pretty much agree then, just interpreted OP different?

Yeah the Washington thing would be NOTHING compared to what would happen then.
Yeah, I guess so.

Unfortunately, things were not as different as you might think. Washington was not responsible for the bulk of them, but American history related to indigenous mistreatment is very comparable to that of the Germans and the Jews.

Farlander1991
03-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I guess so.

Unfortunately, things were not as different as you might think. Washington was not responsible for the bulk of them, but American history related to indigenous mistreatment is very comparable to that of the Germans and the Jews.

Yeah, but I guess the difference is, you won't find alive the people who Washington or americans of that time have wronged personally, while there are still Holocaust survivors, living and breathing. Which is why the approaches have to be different.

I'm not saying that what happened to Native Americans back then is not sensitive. But Holocaust is a lot more dangerous route at this moment.

NvmberFiveUA
03-14-2013, 12:01 AM

I loved this game.

MinuteGlobe
03-14-2013, 02:25 AM
Assassin's Creed is far from difficult or even challenging.

And the whole charm of the game is not falling into the modern firearms business. Melee combat. If it throws that away as well...well guess what, we have another CoD. Just no.

is sly 4 like call of duty? when you play as sly's western ancestor, you can use his gun and while your using it, you're in 3rd person mode until you let go of the button, once you let go, it goes back to the regular gameplay. I'm nearly suggesting that AC could do what sly 4 did. now, if you were in that mode all the time, you'd have an FPS.

the_brok
03-14-2013, 02:26 AM
is sly 4 like call of duty? when you play as sly's western ancestor, you can use his gun and while your using it, you're in 3rd person mode until you let go of the button, once you let go, it goes back to the regular gameplay. I'm nearly suggesting that AC could do what sly 4 did. now, if you were in that mode all the time, you'd have an FPS.

it`s a bad idea, in my opinion. AC is not compatible with guns or any other setting past 1800s

it`s too modern.....just drop it, because it`s not happening as long as corey is in charge of the bulk of the story

Assassin_M
03-14-2013, 03:11 AM
it`s a bad idea, in my opinion. AC is not compatible with guns or any other setting past 1800s

it`s too modern.....just drop it, because it`s not happening as long as corey is in charge of the bulk of the story
Modern* guns

SaintPerkele
03-14-2013, 04:49 AM
Keep kids away ??
No...just no..Guns are gonna keep kids away ? tell me again how more than half CoD players are not kids...
This so much. Age restrictions don't keep a certain age group away from gaming. Instead, generic shooting action attracts younger people for some weird reason, probably as a result of all those FPS multiplayer games that are currently so popular.

pirate1802
03-14-2013, 04:58 AM
Well one of the core fun of AC is the hand-to-hand combat. Dat feeling when you counter someone and watch the smooth animations flow. When you have guns, what is the need of countering people? Why not just line 'em up and shoot 'em all?

No, the introduction of mainstay guns would change AC too much. I'm all for something as diverse as a naval AC, but guns... nope sorry. For the same reason I wouldn't buy a modern day AC either (and I hope to god they never make one).

xx-pyro
03-14-2013, 05:33 AM
Only if you play as Anne Frank.

Wojakzpolski
11-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Assassins`s Creed V in Fedal Japan ninjas and **** imagine that fighting with a fri king katana

PedroAntonio2
11-17-2013, 01:58 AM
An AC game on WWII would have a poor storyline and a generic gameplay design. The problem about the storyline it's because it would be too cliche, the main character would be a dude who lost everything because of the Nazis and he joined the Assassins so he could find revenge against the Templars. And the gameplay it's obvious, a lot of guns and the combat would non'existant. I would like a WWI game, some soldiers still carried swords with them at that time and machine guns were very rare.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-17-2013, 02:07 AM
Perhaps as a spin off they could have a roaring twenties AC game.

I'm skeptical of a game getting to close to modern times as you'll lose the gameplay significantly. Buildings will get to tall, automatic weaponry and cars will turn the game into a MAfia/GTA clone, etc.

At that point, it's Mafia with a white trench coat and hat but I think it'd be hard to make into a game. That said...it would LOOK cool.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/301/f/7/mobster_assassin_by_thehypotheticalnerd-d5j9stq.jpg

Black_Widow9
11-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Please use this thread for Future AC title discussion.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/758424

Thanks