PDA

View Full Version : Emotional Moments in AC/ Other Games

Bastiaen
03-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Major Spoilers for tons of games ahead!!! First, I'm a happily married man, and my wife thinks it's hilarious that this happens, but sometimes when I'm playing a game, I can get a little emotional. As in, I sometimes shed tears... Now I tell you this not because I want your ridicule, but because I want to share some of those moments and see if anybody else has had those moments.

AC1: Nothing really, but I really like when Altair and Malik make up.
AC2: The hanging... wow...
ACB: Mario's death; when I realized how Caterina died and how little closure she and Ezio had.
ACR: Clay saving Desmondl; TLA throughout (This is one of my favorite DLC's ever).
AC3: So MANY!!! (AC3 is my favorite) Lee's speech to young Connor (mad as heck), The village burning (Kanie:thio's death), Haytham's Death, Achille's Death (Funeral and everything), Desmond rescuing William, and Desmond's death. That was a great game.

Mass effect: Depends on the playthrough... Everyone thinking Shepard is dead at the end of ME1. ME2, Ashley hating me for working with Cerberus. ME3, Miranda's Death Throughout, everything with Romancing Tali. ME3: The ending, which I loved. It was fantastic and extremely emotional for me.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The soundtrack

Batman Arkham City: Joker's Death (Strange emotions to be sure).

RDR: Marston's Death, riding home after saving the family, Dutch's Death.

Share your moments!!!

pacmanate
03-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Firstly label the title of this thread with Spoilers as there will be lots of spoilers for other games in here.

Also, AC doesnt really have any. John Marston is the saddest for me that I can remember at the moment.

TheHumanTowel
03-12-2013, 08:22 PM
SPOILERS FOR ARKHAM CITY UP THERE

Seriously this forum is in desperate need of a way to hide spoilers. What's the problem? Loads of forums have ways to hide spoilers.

ProletariatPleb
03-12-2013, 08:24 PM
AC1: Nothing really, but I really like when Altair and Malik make up.
Talking to Garnier de Naplouse after killing him.

pacmanate
03-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Seriously this forum is in desperate need of a way to hide spoilers. What's the problem? Loads of forums have ways to hide spoilers.

No idea, even putting stuff in headers isnt good because it means you cant say anything without something being spoilt. If we had spoiler things like then we could all just be like "Spoilers for Arkham City" *ENTER SPOILER HERE"

Im guessing whoever made the forums just cant be bothered

Bastiaen
03-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Sorry, how do I edit the title?

pacmanate
03-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Sorry, how do I edit the title?

Edit the first post then click advanced.

TheHumanTowel
03-12-2013, 08:32 PM
No idea, even putting stuff in headers isnt good because it means you cant say anything without something being spoilt. If we had spoiler things like then we could all just be like "Spoilers for Arkham City" *ENTER SPOILER HERE"

Im guessing whoever made the forums just cant be bothered
Yeah given that it's commonplace on other forums there's really no excuse other than laziness.

Bastiaen
03-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Edit the first post then click advanced.

Thanks, I got it fixed. Sorry again about that.

And guys, this isn't the "Rip on Bastiaen because he's stupid and forgot to put spoilers in the title" thread. Let's get back to posting on topic.

ACfan443
03-12-2013, 08:42 PM

It's dated and in desperate need of a revamp. The search function is also terrible.

WalSwJan
03-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Oh yeah..John Marston's death...

Stardust235
03-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Lee's death in the Walking Dead.

MasterAssasin84
03-12-2013, 11:06 PM
It's dated and in desperate need of a revamp. The search function is also terrible.

I do agree its not very user friendly !

nitres15
03-12-2013, 11:09 PM
so little love for Yusuf, i liked him.

Gil_217
03-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Potential Spoilers for Mass Effect 3 and RDR

Mordin's death/sacrifice in Mass Effect 3. Most powerful scene of all time regarding video games. The importance and significance of it was just off the charts, with Mordin undoing his own work and finally curing the genophage, giving a new hope to the Krogan and convincing them into working with other species in order to help in the fight against the Reapers. Add to this Mordin talking about how he still wanted to run tests on sea shells as he enters the elevator, his inhaling in the way up, and then his singing but principally his smile after he releases the cure and just before he dies from the explosions. Absolutely perfect!

Marston's death is obviously up there too.

ArabianFrost
03-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Apart from the original sequences, which were all filled with emotions, the epilogue sequence of AC3 is just a sad sad sequence. The village being sold and Connor's eyes gleaming with sadness and disappointment as he sees slaves being auctioned by the people he sough to save, at this moment I could see whatever little faith he had in humanity fade away. Also, the speech for Achilles' s funeral was just unbelievably beautiful. On a happier side note, I was never happier when I saw a rare, little, warm smile sprouting from Connor's lips, when he was marrying Myriam to that miner guy. Certainly, what AC3 lacked in gameplay and story, it compensated for in emotions.

emperior
03-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Achilles death is the most emotional moment in every AC game, hands down.

TheHumanTowel
03-12-2013, 11:53 PM
This made me feel things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EoOojQkwOw

pacmanate
03-13-2013, 12:09 AM
This made me feel things

OMG! Yes actually, because I knew what would happen. The hanging didn't make me sad... but the scene in that video did.

Bastiaen
03-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Wow, getting some great replies... I don't know how I forgot about Moridin's death... That was freaking amazing. (It's not nearly as emotional if you choose to kill him, you just feel like a great big jerk). I didn't know how to describe that opening sequence from AC2, but you're right, it's exactly so emotional because you know what's going to happen (it was in the story trailer).
Also I forgot how happy Connor looks at the wedding when giving away Myriam. The homestead missions are a great opportunity to get to know Connor a lot better.

NvmberFiveUA
03-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Haytham's death was a very sad and violent way to go. :(

skathegreat
03-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Nobody going to say Ezio's death in Embers? The look in Sofia and Flavia's eyes. Oh lots of tears were shed that day.....

the_brok
03-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Achilles` death

Rugterwyper32
03-14-2013, 01:50 AM
For this series, Achilles' death is easily on top, with the epilogue of the game being up there. Altair's death in AC:R was a really moving moment too.

As for other games:
Fighting Rundas in Metroid Prime 3. It just came as such a shock at first, and the music during the battle didn't make things easier.
The entire scene right after Sam learns the truth about Lambert and his daughter in Conviction. It was a mix of powerful and extremely awesome.
That one scene from Red Dead Redemption that everyone has mentioned already.
The entire section in Zelda Twilight Princess after Midna is injured. The music is just perfect for it, too.
The conversation in the last corridor right before the final boss of Silent Hill 2 is an amazing moment too.

Those are the first ones to come to mind.

LieutenantJojo
03-14-2013, 01:54 AM
AC1: It's been quite a while since I played it, so nothing really comes to mind.

AC2:
- Ezio and Frederico on the roof, looking over Florence. Great scene.
- The hanging of Giovanni, Frederico and Petruccio. Ezio's face just tore me apart.
- Jacopo de' Pazzi's death. It showed how little Rodrigo cared for his fellow Templars. They were just his puppets.
- Rodrigo telling Ezio why his brothers had to die. "Just to make a point". Nothing but sheer hatred towards Rodrigo at that point.

ACB:
- Mario's death.
- Cristina's death. When she told Ezio that she always kept loving him, ****...
- Rodrigo's death. I don't know why, but I felt sorry for the bastard. He got killed by his own son... with an apple...

ACR:
- Yusuf's death and funeral. Did not see that coming.
- Maria dying in Altair's arms.
- Altair saying goodbye to Darim.
- Altair's death. Passing of a legend...

AC3:
- The village burning down and Ziio dying, terrible.
- Haytham's death and him saying that he's proud of Connor.
- Kanen'tó:kon's death. Seeing Connor kill his best friend was not fun.
- Achilles' death and funeral. The speech while you're digging his grave was just too much. I never felt sadder about a game as then.
- Desmond's death. Even though I never felt really connected with Desmond, nor really cared about him, it did touch me.

Farlander1991
03-14-2013, 02:10 AM
AC2:
- Ezio and Frederico on the roof, looking over Florence. Great scene.
- The hanging of Giovanni, Frederico and Petruccio. Ezio's face just tore me apart.
- Jacopo de' Pazzi's death. It showed how little Rodrigo cared for his fellow Templars. They were just his puppets.
- Rodrigo telling Ezio why his brothers had to die. "Just to make a point". Nothing but sheer hatred towards Rodrigo at that point.

ACB:
- Mario's death.
- Cristina's death. When she told Ezio that she always kept loving him, ****...
- Rodrigo's death. I don't know why, but I felt sorry for the bastard. He got killed by his own son... with an apple...

ACR:
- Yusuf's death and funeral. Did not see that coming.
- Maria dying in Altair's arms.
- Altair saying goodbye to Darim.
- Altair's death. Passing of a legend...

AC3:
- The village burning down and Ziio dying, terrible.
- Haytham's death and him saying that he's proud of Connor.
- Kanen'tó:kon's death. Seeing Connor kill his best friend was not fun.
- Achilles' death and funeral. The speech while you're digging his grave was just too much. I never felt sadder about a game as then.
- Desmond's death. Even though I never felt really connected with Desmond, nor really cared about him, it did touch me.

I sense a recurring pattern here :D And some people say that I like too much morbid scenes, lol. :D

dAnNyKiLlZ
03-14-2013, 03:14 AM
This made me feel things

Right on point. This and Embers were the most emotional parts of AC for me.

BATISTABUS
03-14-2013, 03:26 AM
I would like to participate in this conversation, but since I have the chance of getting a random game spoiled, I'd best avoid it. This should've just been about Assassin's Creed. =/

pirate1802
03-14-2013, 03:37 AM
Talking to Garnier de Naplouse after killing him.

It was more like a surreal mysterious moment than an emotional one imo.

D.I.D.
03-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Achilles` death

But that was pure comedy

PRESS X TO DIG

ProletariatPleb
03-14-2013, 08:41 AM
It was more like a surreal mysterious moment than an emotional one imo.
It was for me, started questioning my motives as an assassin.

But that was pure comedy

PRESS X TO DIG
The scene with him dead on the chair was kinda emotional for me.

Assassin_M
03-14-2013, 08:53 AM
But that was pure comedy

PRESS X TO DIG
I don't know about your tastes (from what I see, I probably loathe them), but...that scene was pretty emotional for me..

Legendz54
03-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Ezio meeting Altair gave me goosebumps.
Lucy's Death was my top WTF and emotional moment for me i have to say, They shouldn't of killed her :( Her and Desmond got the short end of the stick.

Assassin_M
03-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Ezio meeting Altair gave me goosebumps.
Lucy's Death was my top WTF and emotional moment for me i have to say, They shouldn't of killed her :( Her and Desmond got the short end of the stick.
SHE probably got that short end (if you know what I mean)

We don't know about Dessie yet

Legendz54
03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
SHE probably got that short end (if you know what I mean)

We don't know about Dessie yet

Her death felt like a cheap shot, and then they rubbed salt into the proverbial wound by suggesting she and Desmond could have been more.It irritated me...Desmond's ancestors all got a happy (as far as getting married) ending, why couldn't Desmond? Why did Altair and Ezio get noble, dignified deaths, and Desmond fried to a crisp in an instant by a sadistic space-witch after being forced to murder the woman he might have had a chance with by the same space-witch? It didn't seem very fair to me, Its all about money these days, I love AC but i hate what they have done to the modern day, "Oh we need to produce more games, lets just end Desmond's cycle by killing him so we can begin a new cycle and make heaps of more AC games'"

Assassin_M
03-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Her death felt like a cheap shot, and then they rubbed salt into the proverbial wound by suggesting she and Desmond could have been more.It irritated me...Desmond's ancestors all got a happy (as far asgetting married) ending, why couldn't Desmond? Why did Altair and Ezioget noble, dignified deaths, and Desmond fried to a crisp in an instantby a sadistic space-witch after being forced to murder the woman hemight have had a chance with by the same space-witch? It didn't seemvery fair to me, Its all about money these days, I love AC but i hate what they have done to the modern day, "Oh we need to produce more games, lets just end Desmond's cycle by killing him so we can begin a new cycle and make heaps of more AC games'"
yeah, because it`d be very very fun if they all ended the same exact way...right ?

RinoTheBouncer
03-14-2013, 09:12 AM
AC:R : Ezio: Desmond?
ACIII : *Desmond embracing his father at Abstergo*
AC:R : Altair's return to Masyaf to kill Abbas.
AC:R : Maria: Strength...Altair
AC:B : Ezio, Requiescat in pace, my love.
AC:Embers : Ezio: Yours forever, Ezio.
AC:R : Ezio: Show them what it means to cross the assassins
AC:II : The execution
AC:R : Ezio meeting Altair's body
ACIII : Estaaaaaaaaaaaaa
ACII : Intro, Federico: may it never change and may it never change us.

Other games:

Final Fantasy XIII ending theme (all of it) especially when Fang says: "Vanille"
Silent Hill: Homecoming : Alex: I'm a soldier, I protect people.
Tomb Raider: Underworld : Lara Croft: My mother died a long time ago.
Tomb Raider 2013: Ending theme
Metal Gear Solid 4: Big Mama: Call me Eva. Here we go!

Legendz54
03-14-2013, 09:22 AM
yeah, because it`d be very very fun if they all ended the same exact way...right ?

I would of preferred that Desmond got an ending similar to his Ancestors then the ending they gave us. Anyway whats done is done, I thought Desmond's story could have been something to remember, Ubisoft were clearly thinking something else when they made AC3.

Assassin_M
03-14-2013, 09:25 AM
I would of preferred that Desmond got an ending similar to his Ancestors then the ending they gave us. Anyway whats done is done, I thought Desmond's story could have been something to remember, Ubisoft were clearly thinking something else when they made AC3.
That`s what we got....something we`ll remember forever and ever and ever....Desmond`s ending...Who can honestly say it was forgettable ? everyone will be remembering it for the rest of their lives...(Note: I did not say in a good way)

RinoTheBouncer
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM

I agree. I had hoped that 5 games attempting to develop Desmond to become something big have ended up with an ending that people will remember and condemn forever rather than appreciate and cry for.

Legendz54
03-14-2013, 09:27 AM
That`s what we got....something we`ll remember forever and ever and ever....Desmond`s ending...Who can honestly say it was forgettable ? everyone will be remembering it for the rest of their lives...(Note: I did not say in a good way)

Sigh.. Dont worry Im sure we will all enjoy playing as some random guy in first person who just walks around :)

Legendz54
03-14-2013, 09:31 AM
I agree. I had hoped that 5 games attempting to develop Desmond to become something big have ended up with an ending that people will remember and condemn forever rather than appreciate and cry for.

Yup.. When i started at the beginning, I imagined something big.. A massive climax of excitement and a feeling of.. This is the moment I have been waiting for. What i got was a cutscene and then he was dead.

D.I.D.
03-14-2013, 09:55 AM
The scene with him dead on the chair was kinda emotional for me.

Didn't really feel much one way or the other - the game didn't make me care about these characters.

However, after they laid it on so thick with the funeral, and then capped it with a QTE? I laughed so hard. At first I thought it was Ubisoft making a joke about QTEs in their games.

pirate1802
03-14-2013, 10:05 AM
lol I didn't press anything to dig. I just stood there and listened, because I was afraid digging would skip the scene or something. :p

And yeah.. I found it very emotional. "You gave an old man hope..." . :'(

ProletariatPleb
03-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Didn't really feel much one way or the other - the game didn't make me care about these characters.

However, after they laid it on so thick with the funeral, and then capped it with a QTE? I laughed so hard. At first I thought it was Ubisoft making a joke about QTEs in their games.
Oh i don't disagree, QTEs are ****ing stupid. I just got the "feels" because of the Al Mualim reference.

D.I.D.
03-14-2013, 10:15 AM
I don't know about your tastes (from what I see, I probably loathe them), but...that scene was pretty emotional for me..

Effective emotional scenes in games are pretty rare. Ico did that beautifully, pretty much all the way through.

AC takes a big Hollywood sledgehammer to these moments and camps them up too hard. There are other moments when they get it right, usually the smaller events and the emotional effect of their music and skylines, but the major scenes leave me cold.

I'd be very surprised if you know what my tastes are, but by all means loathe away. Achilles was just a one-note Mr Miyagi to me, standard video game character.

Assassin_M
03-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Effective emotional scenes in games are pretty rare. Ico did that beautifully, pretty much all the way through.

AC takes a big Hollywood sledgehammer to these moments and camps them up too hard. There are other moments when they get it right, usually the smaller events and the emotional effect of their music and skylines, but the major scenes leave me cold.

I'd be very surprised if you know what my tastes are, but by all means loathe away. Achilles was just a one-note Mr Miyagi to me, standard video game character.
I`m very surprised you think I think I know your tastes even after I said "I don't know about your tastes" xD

I`d agree that Ico did indeed hit the nail on the head with many of it`s moments, but Achilles` just clicked with me for some reason. I dunno if it was the superb voice acting, but it did it`s done the purpose to me.

skathegreat
03-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Dat signature.

TheHumanTowel
03-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Oh i don't disagree, QTEs are ****ing stupid. I just got the "feels" because of the Al Mualim reference.
there was an Al Mualim reference?

ProletariatPleb
03-14-2013, 10:58 AM
there was an Al Mualim reference?
Old Man on the mountain/hill.

TheHumanTowel
03-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Old Man on the mountain/hill.
Hmmm I guess. I thought they just called him the Old man because he was old. And a man.

D.I.D.
03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
I`m very surprised you think I think I know your tastes even after I said "I don't know about your tastes" xD

:D Well, you were saying that from what you see of my tastes, you'd probably loathe them, and yet also said you don't know my tastes in the same sentence. That's just having your cake and eating it, M.

I bet you'd hate my cakes, too.

pirate1802
03-14-2013, 04:47 PM
I bet you'd hate my cakes, too.

And this is why we can't have nice things..

ProletariatPleb
03-14-2013, 04:47 PM
And this is why we can't have nice things..
Cakes are nice.

pirate1802
03-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Cakes are nice.

Then how come people hate them? THAT is the reason we can't have nice things!

AjinkyaParuleka
03-14-2013, 05:18 PM
1.Zack Fair's death in Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII,best emotional scene ever.
2.MW3:-Soap's death,and Yuri's too.Task Force 141's sacrifice to save Price,Yuri and the Prez.
3.ACIII:-Heck...almost 80% of the game.That moment when Rahtonhake:ton looses his mom again in TOKW.
got more but will tell them later.

Bastiaen
03-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Nobody going to say Ezio's death in Embers? The look in Sofia and Flavia's eyes. Oh lots of tears were shed that day.....

I did specify games, but that one really got me too.

AjinkyaParuleka
03-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Aww come on!No one for Zack's death in Crisis Core FF7?Made me cry,literally.

skathegreat
03-15-2013, 06:33 PM
I did specify games, but that one really got me too.

Oh I missed that, sorry.

Soulid_Snake
03-15-2013, 07:09 PM
AC2: The hanging... wow...

Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The soundtrack

You've got soul!

*Spoiler*

Choosing to save Malik, in DE:HR, is one of the most emotional moments for me, on the second trip to Hengsha (DE:HR). The music during the segment reflects the importance of what needs to be done.

*Spoiler*

The introduction to AC2, with Ezio's Family running in the background was equally as awesome, sets the whole tone of the game.

Bastiaen
03-15-2013, 08:20 PM
You've got soul!

*Spoiler*

Choosing to save Malik, in DE:HR, is one of the most emotional moments for me, on the second trip to Hengsha (DE:HR). The music during the segment reflects the importance of what needs to be done.

That was a great part. I really love the music during the cutscene after you launch that rocket thing...
I used to work at a day center for adults with disabilities, and there I had a client who would calm down every time I put on the Deus Ex soundtrack.

Soulid_Snake
03-15-2013, 11:12 PM
That was a great part. I really love the music during the cutscene after you launch that rocket thing...
I used to work at a day center for adults with disabilities, and there I had a client who would calm down every time I put on the Deus Ex soundtrack.

Same here, if I'm being honest the whole soundtrack for DE:HR is perfection from start to finish, I hope McCann will return for the sequel's soundtrack. The question is, can he outdo himself?