PDA

View Full Version : The new Tomb Raider and AC

silvermercy
03-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Anyone noticed some similarities? XD I'm halfway through and it's really awesome by the way!!

Eagle Vision is "Survival Instincts" vision (you see enemies as red and gold) and the game map looks so much like the AC map. LOL
Also every time I jump on a rooftop I feel like Ezio. I only need some hidden blades dammit! :D

Escappa
03-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Anyone noticed some similarities? XD I'm halfway through and it's really awesome by the way!!

Eagle Vision is "Survival Instincts" vision (you see enemies as red and gold) and the game map looks so much like the AC map. LOL
Also every time I jump on a rooftop I feel like Ezio. I only need some hidden blades dammit! :D

Isn't that a bad thing :p
Rip off!!! ;)

dxsxhxcx
03-11-2013, 12:05 PM
I finished it yesterday, great game, the puzzles are really cool, something I miss in AC... :)

MasterAssasin84
03-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Isn't that a bad thing :p
Rip off!!! ;)

Without being biased do you get the feeling that the developers of tomb raider was heavily inspired by Assassins Creed and in short ripped of some the abilities and causualy renamed them .

Escappa
03-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Without being biased do you get the feeling that the developers of tomb raider was heavily inspired by Assassins Creed and in short ripped of some the abilities and causualy renamed them .

Sorry haven't played the game, based my statement on the thing you said about enemies turning red and gold... sounds a bit familiar.

But seriously...isn't everything a rip off of something these days :p

Spider_Sith9
03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Intuition isn't anything knew this gen...well...last gen. It's just AC was one of the earliest to do it. Same with Saint's Row and Phones and GPS. It being a so-called GTA and nothing more as it is remembered by many should know that if not for it, GTA wouldn't have the fully operational phone/gps. Tomb Raider is no different.

Sickull
03-11-2013, 01:05 PM
The new Tomb Raider is great but you're right it does have some AC and Far Cry 3 similarities.

pirate1802
03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Well even if they did rip those off AC they managed to implement them far better than AC. in AC III I almost forgot I've got that ability, whereas in TR I used that almost all the time. Hunting is also much more challenging than AC, even hunting freaking rats is fun whereas in AC III its easy as frack.

Also, we need more awesome female @sskickers like Miss Croft.. :D

silvermercy
03-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Well even if they did rip those off AC they managed to implement them far better than AC. in AC III I almost forgot I've got that ability, whereas in TR I used that almost all the time. Hunting is also much more challenging than AC, even hunting freaking rats is fun whereas in AC III its easy as frack.

Also, we need more awesome female @sskickers like Miss Croft.. :D
Indeed!!
Yes, it's very well implemented. Sometimes this is more important. Borrowing something and making it even better.
It also borrows a little from Uncharted (the ladder climbing for example). Or maybe it's the other way around as Tomb Raider came first. lol

Hey, I managed to get the "Tastes Like Chicken" trophy for shooting rats. :D

montagemik
03-11-2013, 01:59 PM

Without being biased - Don't you get the feeling That AC Developers already ripped off almost every ability & feature the AC series has , From the old Tenchu series. .
In short ripped off every ability & re-introduced these things as 'New' for the AC series instead. ( The TOKW abilities being the latest additions)

There really aren't any/many original videogames anymore - either story or gameplay features are usually just re-makes/ re-writes of other games .
Everything is 'Inspired' by something else - is their usual statement.

Mr_Shade
03-11-2013, 02:25 PM
ripped off - such a harsh word...

I prefer Inspired by..

Anything that is inspired by another title, which makes a game better = all good to me...

TR is an awesome game - and well worth checking out, after playing the AC series of course ;)

pacmanate
03-11-2013, 02:25 PM
You can compare Dead Eye in Red Dead to Max Paynes Bullet time... You cant just compare everything with one another.

MasterAssasin84
03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
ripped off - such a harsh word...

I prefer Inspired by..

Anything that is inspired by another title, which makes a game better = all good to me...

TR is an awesome game - and well worth checking out, after playing the AC series of course ;)

I will remember to use the word inspired next time around lol !! not living my life in a goldfish bowl but i only ever play the AC series , Call of duty put me of Shooters for life and IMO there has not been anything in that catagory worth entertaining since Rainbow Six Vegas (and i am talking about number 1 ) yeah im a ubi nerd .

roostersrule2
03-11-2013, 02:35 PM
You can compare Dead Eye in Red Dead to Max Paynes Bullet time... You cant just compare everything with one another.Yea but there the same company, it's like R* getting inspiration from R*.

kuled2012
03-11-2013, 02:40 PM
AC needs to copy TR's stealth elements.

pacmanate
03-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Yea but there the same company, it's like R* getting inspiration from R*.

Not really, only the 3rd was developed by Rockstar. Bullet time existed in the previous game when Remedy Entertainment invented it.

dxsxhxcx
03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
AC needs to copy TR's stealth elements.

they need to reduce the number of weapons and do the same TR did with weapon selection, make it happen in real time instead of need to stop the game just to select a weapon...

pacmanate
03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
They need batman combat, Right trigger and a face button to link in loads of awesome attacks. It will never happen though :(

lothario-da-be
03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
they need to reduce the number of weapons and do the same TR did with weapon selection, make it happen in real time instead of need to stop the game just to select a weapon...
Stopping time is waaay better then in real time, you don't have time to do anything.

roostersrule2
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Not really, only the 3rd was developed by Rockstar. Bullet time existed in the previous game when Remedy Entertainment invented it.Didn't R* make MP 1 and 2?

pirate1802
03-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Meh.. like I said, I don't care whether they ripped 'em off or not. The only thing that matters is, even if they DID rip AC off, they managed to make those concepts far better and useful than that the original masters could. That's a win in my books. Better take an already invented concept and make it awesome than invent a new but mediocre one.

There's hardly any original idea out there anyway, each idea, each new story has its roots, its inspiration in something else. Only thing you should care about is, when you do copy an idea you should make it even better, add your personal touch in it rather than simply copy-pasting it in your games.

TR copied AC's hunting, but unlike AC, like I said, hunting is actually challenging in TR. Animals run away at the slightest whiff, are hard to catch, and bigger animals are one-shot kill only when they are unaware and you're powering your bow (or use guns) unlike AC III where you can pretty much one shot every huntable animal with any weapon. They perfected hunting more than AC III could. Win.

TR also copied AC's Eagle vision but unlike AC3, and all ACs off late where I had barely any incentive to use it, here I use it to detect the enemy's awareness status, hidden journals, animals, hidden routes, puzzle elements, salvages and other collectables. Far far more useful than it was in AC. Again, a win.

Good job Crystal Dynamics!

lothario-da-be
03-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Didn't R* make MP 1 and 2?
I don't know who made 1 and 2 , but R* only made 3

D.I.D.
03-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Not really. Eagle Vision is not much different to Predator's heat vision, or any number of wall hacks, infra-reds and night vision abilities in other games from years before AC. They were working on their hunting at the same time as AC3 developed its hunting, probably without either knowing about the other game's plans, and there have been other hunting games before. Arguably Tomb Raider's been doing forest exploration and running across mossy logs for years anyway!

silvermercy
03-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Meh.. like I said, I don't care whether they ripped 'em off or not. The only thing that matters is, even if they DID rip AC off, they managed to make those concepts far better and useful than that the original masters could. That's a win in my books. Better take an already invented concept and make it awesome than invent a new but mediocre one.

There's hardly any original idea out there anyway, each idea, each new story has its roots, its inspiration in something else. Only thing you should care about is, when you do copy an idea you should make it even better, add your personal touch in it rather than simply copy-pasting it in your games.

TR copied AC's hunting, but unlike AC, like I said, hunting is actually challenging in TR. Animals run away at the slightest whiff, are hard to catch, and bigger animals are one-shot kill only when they are unaware and you're powering your bow (or use guns) unlike AC III where you can pretty much one shot every huntable animal with any weapon. They perfected hunting more than AC III could. Win.

TR also copied AC's Eagle vision but unlike AC3, and all ACs off late where I had barely any incentive to use it, here I use it to detect the enemy's awareness status, hidden journals, animals, hidden routes, puzzle elements, salvages and other collectables. Far far more useful than it was in AC. Again, a win.

Good job Crystal Dynamics!
Great job indeed!!

For the hunting, I'm not so sure as it was probably developed way before AC3 or at the same time. But I agree with how they managed to make it extremely enjoyable in TR. It's all in the little details. (They even have warnings that a specific area can get over-hunted, thus, giving you less XP points! It makes you move on.)

Very impressed in general!