PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 720 not needed according to epic games

MasterAssasin84
03-11-2013, 10:57 AM
So epic games have released a statement claiming that a new xbox is not needed due to the current gen having not reached its limits ?

Ok to be fair i was not a fan of Gears of war and as much as its hype and success i dont belive that epic games are in any position to dictate that new technology is simply not an answer to enhance and enrich our gaming experience, with sony and nintendo releasing next gen systems it would suicide for Microsoft to become complacent and not release a follow up. i for one will be trading in old xbox 360 console for the 720 ( if thats what its going to be reffered to as).

and the ironic thing is games like Assassins Creed 3 and Halo 4 that are using new technology seem to be being bombarded with gameplay issues due to the processor of current gen systems so to claim that xbox 720 is not needed is in my view ignorrant and selfish.

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-720-not-needed-current-system-hasn-t-hit-its-limits-yet

Escappa
03-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Well....BS!!!
Next gen is very needed, gonna buy a PS4 on release day, because a new era of gaming is coming.

MasterAssasin84
03-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Well....BS!!!
Next gen is very needed, gonna buy a PS4 on release day, because a new era of gaming is coming.

I think its a case of Epic is stuck in the past and IMO Gears of War was not exactly groundbreaking gaming !!

silvermercy
03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
That's a weird statement to make... lol Not sure why the left PS4 out of this though, as I'll be buying PS4. My only issue is with that is backward PS3 game compatibility. I already have a PS2. I'll run out of space soon!

Will xbox 720 play 320 games??

MasterAssasin84
03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
That's a weird statement to make... lol Not sure why the left PS4 out of this though, as I'll be buying PS4. My only issue is with that is backward PS3 game compatibility. I already have a PS2. I'll run out of space soon!

Will xbox 720 play 320 games??

Well if you think about it Gears of War was an xbox exclusive game thats proberbly why they left PS4 out , but i would imagine it would backwards compatible as the 360 was, the only reason it wont be is if they totaly ban the use of pre owned games on next gen systems which i have been hearing alot of coverage about lately.

silvermercy
03-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Well if you think about it Gears of War was an xbox exclusive game thats proberbly why they left PS4 out , but i would imagine it would backwards compatible as the 360 was, the only reason it wont be is if they totaly ban the use of pre owned games on next gen systems which i have been hearing alot of coverage about lately.
Oh dear... I hear those rumors as well... For PS4 at least, there's still not a straight story. http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/02/playstation-4-used-games/

MasterAssasin84
03-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Oh dear... I hear those rumors as well... For PS4 at least, there's still not a straight story. http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/02/playstation-4-used-games/

The pre owned games not being able to play on other systems is quite ilogical IMO, think about all these companies that offer game rental ? will ultimately loose out and Gamestores who offer trade ins have said that the ability to trade is a huge thing for the industry because it gives players the chance to purchase their favorite games at non extortionate prices so just think if games become un affordable for many then game retailers will suffer hence developers will see a massive decline in profit hence them not being able to fund new projects, its a chain reaction one that will explode right in their faces ! i for one will boycott consoles if this does go ahead but realisticaly i would say its highly unlikely unless they go down the digital route.

I

blacklimoband
03-11-2013, 11:43 AM
I already have my next-gen gaming console... it's called a PC

MasterAssasin84
03-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Ironicaly PC is not for everyone including myself but hey its all preference i guess.

blacklimoband
03-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Ironicaly PC is not for everyone including myself but hey its all preference i guess.

lol... all good, was having a stir :) I have Xbox as well, probably will get the 720 just for the Halo franchise :)

MasterAssasin84
03-11-2013, 02:18 PM
lol... all good, was having a stir :) I have Xbox as well, probably will get the 720 just for the Halo franchise :)

IMO this restriction on 2nd hand games i am still finding extremely strange or BS to the point would that not hurt the industry ? i mean they are earning enough from us with DLC and trading in your old games which i usualy do other than my AC collection :D opens the lanes up for everyone to have an opportunity to play these awesome games and these corporate bone heads would seek to undo this ? hmmm Hidden blades at the ready ;)

pacmanate
03-11-2013, 02:23 PM
What a stupid statement.

MasterAssasin84
03-11-2013, 02:25 PM
What a stupid statement.

Tell me about it ! are epic looking to go backwards instead of foward i wonder ? not exaxactly groundbreaking ambitions .

Gears of war was not exactly amazing it was fun granted but not state of the art stuff unless your a 9 year old kid who enjoys killing everything is sight !

leCarrot
03-11-2013, 05:40 PM
But it is true that games are technically better if they are forced on older platforms, and have to be optimized. The best games technology-wise always come out for consoles closer to the end of their life-span, because by then developers have learned most of the tricks and the potential of the platform. And no, AC3 didn't have problems (at least I think) on the consoles due to the hardware; the game itself was buggy and glitchy. Here's about the same thing: http://www.t3.com/news/assassins-creed-3-on-xbox-360-and-ps3-was-almost-a-miracle
So, no, I don't think it was such a stupid statement :)

MasterAssasin84
03-11-2013, 05:57 PM
But it is true that games are technically better if they are forced on older platforms, and have to be optimized. The best games technology-wise always come out for consoles closer to the end of their life-span, because by then developers have learned most of the tricks and the potential of the platform. And no, AC3 didn't have problems (at least I think) on the consoles due to the hardware; the game itself was buggy and glitchy. Here's about the same thing: http://www.t3.com/news/assassins-creed-3-on-xbox-360-and-ps3-was-almost-a-miracle
So, no, I don't think it was such a stupid statement :)

It clearly was a stupid statement and to say Assassins Creed 3 was a miracle in terms of performance i am inclined to dissagree !! there have been two title updates since the game has been released and even now i am experiencing minor bugs and glitches not a huge issue but i would not go far to say that game performs well on current platforms, Anvil next is a new Engine so technicaly its the other way around the new consoles will have more processing power so if i played AC3 on the new xbox its less likely to experience bugs.

And to be very frank Gears of war was no were near as technologicaly ambitious as Assassins Creed 3. Epic are singing from cloud cuckoo land.

D.I.D.
03-11-2013, 06:07 PM
If you follow the story chain back (THREE times!) to the original, the level designer doesn't say the neXtBox isn't needed.

He's saying that he's proud of what Epic has been able to do, but not every house is Epic, and I doubt they'll be sharing their advantage. That extra ability is certainly needed by the market, even if this person is right that they could make another huge leap with a further sequel to GoW.

The level designer's comments aren't necessarily intended to be connected with other games or other types of games. I doubt he'd be saying the 360 is fine for their purposes if GoW was an open world game, because that would require completely different approaches and more resources would always be welcome. And besides, his employers need to sell Unreal Engine 4 to keep him in work!

D.I.D.
03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
What a stupid statement.

He didn't say it. This magazine republished a republished article, and added "not needed" to the headline themselves. He wasn't talking about the wider market at all.

D.I.D.
03-11-2013, 06:11 PM
IMO this restriction on 2nd hand games i am still finding extremely strange or BS to the point would that not hurt the industry ? i mean they are earning enough from us with DLC and trading in your old games which i usualy do other than my AC collection :D opens the lanes up for everyone to have an opportunity to play these awesome games and these corporate bone heads would seek to undo this ? hmmm Hidden blades at the ready ;)

They might drop the price to make it worthwhile. PC owners can't resell their games, and they're just used to it now - the low prices make it acceptable. Developers have been complaining for some time that the RRP is too low on console titles because it's been fixed for so long, hence all the microtransactions and DLC, but if they find it hard to shift games on the new machines then you might see them soften on this.

deskp
03-11-2013, 08:56 PM
This si soemthing they gotta say to keep selling games on current gen. Keep in mind the new egars of war is not coming to 720(propably)

also epic games also made a plea(?) for both new consoles to get a certain standard in power, they amde a "love letter" to the console manufactureres to show what could be achieved with a certain power, WHatever EPIC is saying now is ********, Epic game very much wants new consoles.

HeedfulMass4856
03-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Next-gen is BS. PC for life!

Sushiglutton
03-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Part of the marketing for their new Gears Of War game, not to be taking seriously. Ask the Epic guys working on Unreal Engine 4 and you may get a different answer ;).

Gi1t
03-11-2013, 10:57 PM
The pre owned games not being able to play on other systems is quite ilogical IMO, think about all these companies that offer game rental ? will ultimately loose out and Gamestores who offer trade ins have said that the ability to trade is a huge thing for the industry because it gives players the chance to purchase their favorite games at non extortionate prices so just think if games become un affordable for many then game retailers will suffer hence developers will see a massive decline in profit hence them not being able to fund new projects, its a chain reaction one that will explode right in their faces ! i for one will boycott consoles if this does go ahead but realisticaly i would say its highly unlikely unless they go down the digital route.

I

Absolutely. One of the major draws of any console is its ability to play the rest of your games. Your older system may not last forever (especially this particular generation of consoles XD ) so having a new console that plays the old games renews that investment. If you were to buy one that didn't play them and then lose the old one, those games wouldn't play anymore. That's a big loss.

On the other hand, digitally available books are sort of trying to do that despite the fact that you can't loan them to people anymore if they're all digital. :(

As for the statement, I guess it's not really a big deal to say it's early for a new generation of consoles. But I would place this in the same category as me thinking I needed to wait to get a drawing Tablet until I'd gotten better at drawing without it. My friend pointed out to me that really, there's so much to learn with the newer tech that I was a lot better off getting it as soon as I could and starting that process earlier. It doesn't mean you can't continue to practice with the fundamentals of the old tech.

TheBearJew32
03-12-2013, 03:17 AM

There's an article from IGN and eurogamer saying that there was an interview with Yoshida saying the PS4 won't block used games. There's another article somewhere from Tretton saying "we are making the right choice for consumers." I think we're in the clear
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games

...sorry for the late reply. Also the upcoming generation is overdue at least a year according to most, based on past gen. cycles. I'm ready for it

ProletariatPleb
03-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Who cares about what Epic games says. All they do is Gears and Infinity. The only contribution they made that actually mattered was Unreal Engine.

D.I.D.
03-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Who cares about what Epic games says. All they do is Gears and Infinity. The only contribution they made that actually mattered was Unreal Engine.

The most demanded engine of the last gen, to be fair, and probably the next.

Seriously, take a look at what actually happened here. You have to click through this site to its source, and then click again to get to its source, to finally read an interview with ONE level designer on Gears Of War, who says that he can continue to do his job making another GoW game and still get more out of the 360 than they did last time.

That's all he said. Then a repost of a repost puts words in his mouth, and suddenly Epic Games itself is allegedly saying the next gen is unnecessary. Didn't happen.

Kotaku gets a lot of ire on this board, but it's amazing to see the kinds of tripe people are reading instead!

ProletariatPleb
03-12-2013, 08:10 AM
The most demanded engine of the last gen, to be fair, and probably the next.

Seriously, take a look at what actually happened here. You have to click through this site to its source, and then click again to get to its source, to finally read an interview with ONE level designer on Gears Of War, who says that he can continue to do his job making another GoW game and still get more out of the 360 than they did last time.

That's all he said. Then a repost of a repost puts words in his mouth, and suddenly Epic Games itself is allegedly saying the next gen is unnecessary. Didn't happen.

Kotaku gets a lot of ire on this board, but it's amazing to see the kinds of tripe people are reading instead!
Demanding? Hell no. It's one of the least demanding engines I can think of. If you want Demanding then we have Cryengine, Frostbite, Glacier, REDEngine, RAGE. But Unreal Engine 3 doesn't require much.

And about the news, I've already read it before, elsewhere. I'm just adding to the discussion not about the article itself.

D.I.D.
03-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Demanding? Hell no. It's one of the least demanding engines I can think of. If you want Demanding then we have Cryengine, Frostbite, Glacier, REDEngine, RAGE. But Unreal Engine 3 doesn't require much.

And about the news, I've already read it before, elsewhere. I'm just adding to the discussion not about the article itself.

No, not "demanding", "demanded"! I can't think of any engine more widely used in recent years than UE3, and there is every reason to expect UE4 to define the standard of next gen games as well. That's a big deal.

I would also mention that many of us have love for Unreal and Unreal Tournament from years ago too, but yeah I'm absolutely in agreement that the games they make are generally not too interesting to me. I still respect what they do though, even if I don't buy it, because I have played the GoWs on my friends' machines and I've always found it easy to understand why they like them. My objections are only thematic, but they're technically impressive games which provide a lot of fun, if you can get past the absurd ultrabro thing.

ProletariatPleb
03-12-2013, 08:41 AM
No, not "demanding", "demanded"! I can't think of any engine more widely used in recent years than UE3, and there is every reason to expect UE4 to define the standard next gen games as well. That's a big deal.

I would also mention that many of us have love for Unreal and Unreal Tournament from years ago too, but yeah I'm absolutely in agreement that the games they make are generally not too interesting to me. I still respect what they do though, even if I don't buy it, because I have played the GoWs on my friend's machines and I've always found it easy to understand why the like them. My objections are only thematic, but they're technically impressive games which provide a lot of fun, if you can get past the absurd ultrabro thing.
Oh lawd, lol for a moment I was wondering what happened to TF. Sorry I read it wrong. Yeah UE3 is widely used and for good reason, I just hope they fix the vaseline textures and pop-in issues.

I played a lot of UT back in the days...when shooters required speed and skill, also Quake. And I can understand that feeling. I'm just talking about recent years they haven't really done too much.

D.I.D.
03-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Haha, I figured! :D

Yeah, I'd love to see them come back with a UT-style game with the speed and simplicity of the early UTs. I guess they decided that UT3 look was a winner for the consoles, and that's why they got into GoW and Bulletstorm instead. I did like UT3, but I'm not keen on what happens when that art style starts talking and having stories.

pirate1802
03-12-2013, 10:22 AM

Spoken like a true Master Racer! :cool: