PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed IV Black Flag Release date concerns

MisterS_Here
03-10-2013, 12:16 PM
I have seen a lot of people concerned about the quality of ACIV due to the short time that passes between ACIII and ACIV. I have made a video adressing this concern and I would like you to share it here, because 1. It could give a new insight to some people with concerns and 2. It is a first video in a series that I am planning to start and I need some feedback about the quality/format

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN08opoN9Hk

Thank you for feedback in advance.
(I know my mic is bad)

roostersrule2
03-10-2013, 12:18 PM
AC4 has been in development for 2 years now.

MisterS_Here
03-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Yeah that was my point :D

roostersrule2
03-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah that was my point :DOh hahahaha I have to read things more carefully, sorry haha.

AidenPixxel
03-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know for how long was AC2 in development?

IWGCJoeCool
03-10-2013, 01:04 PM
at least Ubisoft has different teams working on these games, even if there is a certain core braintrust keeping it on track. and when a game like Far Cry is done, there available peeps come on over to the AC title in progress. the now yearly release cycle doesnt scare me that much. but i have some experience with another game house who releases Sports titles every year, but are helmed and worked by the same peeps all the time. so, by the time they get done adding all the new bells and whistles to the same platform, there isnt time to backtrack and fix old problems. it seems you only get fresh and totally new games when there is a next-gen console. i happen to favor a PGA Golf game featuring a big Superstar of the game, but the NFL and futbol guys get a similar shortchanging.

JC

nitres15
03-10-2013, 01:05 PM

i donīt know, what i do know is that they spent almost a year just doing re-search

MasterAssasin84
03-10-2013, 01:18 PM
2 years between AC1 and AC2 and 2 years development between AC3 and Black flags ! i personally do not have any concerns about this as AC2 is my favourite Assassins Creed.

Sushiglutton
03-10-2013, 01:24 PM
I don't understand the need to make a video. I mean if you posted a text instead it would have taken me 30sec to go through instead of 2:30. Also I could have easily quoted passages I thought were interesting to discuss further. The video doesn't add anything. Sorry if this sounds harsh :(. On the positive side I think you did a fine job explaining your point :)!

As for the point itself, It is true that Ubisoft is working on these games for more than a year and to have a rolling schedule with different studios is def possible. However the reason I and others worry is because we see quality problems with the recent releases. And many of these problems can be associated with yearly releases:

The most obvious one is the buggy state in which AC3 was released. The yearly release schedule means that there is no room for delaying the game to polish it up. Delays are fairly common in the industry, recent examples: Farcry 3, GTA5, The Last Of Us, Bioshock Infinite etc. AC3 needed a couple of extra months to be a finished product.
Some content is very unispired and generic. Like for example the assassination contracts, delivery missions, all the different versions of collectibles etc.
Some systems hang around without making much sense anymore. Like recruits in AC3, or renovating shops in AC:R. You make this sound like a good thing, which is a bit strange to me. You basically say that since they can just copy paste old games, the tight release schedule is less of a problem. For me this is twisted logic. The fact that they are copy/pasting the old games is one of the problems of the tight release schedule.
Some old problems stick around like horses, broken AI and so on. Feels like someone needs to rework these systems from scratch.
Mission design is overall dreadful. Now this may not only be a deadline-issue, but I do think varied, fun and interesting missions is one of the harder aspect of a game to massproduce.
Modern day storyline has collapsed. There is really no other way to describe it. After Brotherhood it feels like the developers lost control over it and in a desperate attempt to regain it they killed off as many characters as they could in AC3. A clever story is also tough to massproduce and especially the modern part suffers when the developers need to stretch it out longer than it was initially designed for.

MisterS_Here
03-10-2013, 01:26 PM

Well the wiki says this:
"On January 22, 2008, it was confirmed by Ubisoft that Assassin's Creed II was in production, but no details were revealed. A promotional video was released by Ubisoft on April 6 showing a map of Italy, some Hidden Blade designs and Leonardo da Vinci's flying machine on a scroll. On the official site after the teaser was viewed, a symbol was given to print and show in front of a webcam. Doing this would unlock a picture displayed on the site. 4 of the 5 symbols had been given by Ubisoft, and the other was found by a fan.
Later, on April 10, Game Informer magazine released details on the game, as well as pictures of Ezio. There were about 240 team members, some of which were sent to Italy, traveling through Venice, Florence, Tuscany, and Rome. ScrewAttack also released a video with some of the pictures from the magazine. In early May, Ubisoft had stated that they were putting full emphasis on the game and that 450 team members were now working on the title. 75% of the original developers for the original game were now working on the second."

Abeonis
03-10-2013, 01:41 PM
AC4 has been in development for 2 years now.

Arugeably longer if you include AnvilNext's development time. The slightly early release date for Black Flag is (hopefully) an indication of the PS4 and Xbox 720's launch dates...

ajl992008
03-10-2013, 02:54 PM

I cba to find the source but I remember in an interview with patrice desilets that ac2 had a 20 month development cycle im assuming they spent 3/4 months after ac1 researching and that the 20 months is of actual game development, they had the established engine like with blag flags, ac3 is similiar to ac1, ambitious game which couldn't deliver on every promise, since ac4 already has anvil next as a base I have high hopes for this game, maybe competing with ac2 who knows.

MisterS_Here
03-10-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't understand the need to make a video. I mean if you posted a text instead it would have taken me 30sec to go through instead of 2:30. Also I could have easily quoted passages I thought were interesting to discuss further. The video doesn't add anything. Sorry if this sounds harsh :(. On the positive side I think you did a fine job explaining your point :)!

As for the point itself, It is true that Ubisoft is working on these games for more than a year and to have a rolling schedule with different studios is def possible. However the reason I and others worry is because we see quality problems with the recent releases. And many of these problems can be associated with yearly releases:

The most obvious one is the buggy state in which AC3 was released. The yearly release schedule means that there is no room for delaying the game to polish it up. Delays are fairly common in the industry, recent examples: Farcry 3, GTA5, The Last Of Us, Bioshock Infinite etc. AC3 needed a couple of extra months to be a finished product.
Some content is very unispired and generic. Like for example the assassination contracts, delivery missions, all the different versions of collectibles etc.
Some systems hang around without making much sense anymore. Like recruits in AC3, or renovating shops in AC:R. You make this sound like a good thing, which is a bit strange to me. You basically say that since they can just copy paste old games, the tight release schedule is less of a problem. For me this is twisted logic. The fact that they are copy/pasting the old games is one of the problems of the tight release schedule.
Some old problems stick around like horses, broken AI and so on. Feels like someone needs to rework these systems from scratch.
Mission design is overall dreadful. Now this may not only be a deadline-issue, but I do think varied, fun and interesting missions is one of the harder aspect of a game to massproduce.
Modern day storyline has collapsed. There is really no other way to describe it. After Brotherhood it feels like the developers lost control over it and in a desperate attempt to regain it they killed off as many characters as they could in AC3. A clever story is also tough to massproduce and especially the modern part suffers when the developers need to stretch it out longer than it was initially designed for.

Unfortunately I dont have time to fully respond now (I have to go shopping before they close the shop :D ), but, apart from the ammount of bugs in AC3, most of the problems you mentioned were present in most of the games in my opinion. A lot of the side missions and contracts and collectibles were, at least to, always a bit boring and dull. Especially in AC1 and though it got a bit better further on, it never reached a level I wished for. I for once am one of the few people, that enjoyed the recruit system and renovations. I do agree however, that it seemed rather out of context and should maybe have been removed for the sake of story coherence, but on the other hand I think it was sort of needed to offer more gameplay variety/mini games. In a recent interview I read (or maybe heard- I did look up a lot on ACIV, being a fan of the franchise and all), that they want to tighten these things up. During the assassination missions they want to go a bit back to how it was in AC1, where they would really only give you a target and let you approach the mission in whatever way you want. I also heard, that the recruitment system from Brotherhood will be back, but it should make sense, because you would be able to recruit your crew (I will try to find the articles/interviews later.)
4.- I feel like they had plenty of oppurtunities for this across all of the various games. This might not be an issue with the tight release schedule.
5.- I agree with this completely- it gets a bit samey after a while.
6.- I actually never was a big fan of the modern day story line, except for the parts in AC1. I think the storywriters lost it even before brotherhood and the aliens/gods/the ones who came before should never have been thrown in. Again, I read an article a while back, that said, that they did not really know where the modern day story line would go, because they never thought it out in advance. I think, that they decided to go for this "deus ex machina" style of solution because they were desperate, but I dont think this was a time issue, seeing as the ancestor stories were good pretty much all across. I would be much happier if they got rid of all the modern day stuff all together and just went from one period to another and the puropose of the apples and shrines and what not would reveal itself gradually. But thats just me maybe, I never liked sci-fi too much.

Disclaimer: I am not a native speaker so sorry if I made too many mistakes or did not explain my points well. Also, Im just a teenager :P

lothario-da-be
03-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Since we passed 21 december there is no reason anymore to not delay the games.I hope they wil do it if its required.

Soulid_Snake
03-10-2013, 05:51 PM

A point made by IGN, they started development in Summer 2011, meaning will they honestly address the problems of AC3? As AC4 started development, whilst AC3 was still being developed. The same buggy crap could be reflected in AC4, we'll have to wait and see.

Without even playing GTAV, I know it's gonna being amazing technically and as a concept, Rock* will only release a game when it's a 100% right! On the other hand, Ubi, relying on Day 1 patches is pretty pathetic.

MisterS_Here
03-10-2013, 10:19 PM
A point made by IGN, they started development in Summer 2011, meaning will they honestly address the problems of AC3? As AC4 started development, whilst AC3 was still being developed. The same buggy crap could be reflected in AC4, we'll have to wait and see.

Without even playing GTAV, I know it's gonna being amazing technically and as a concept, Rock* will only release a game when it's a 100% right! On the other hand, Ubi, relying on Day 1 patches is pretty pathetic.

Yes, but it was not developed by the same team. All of the games in AC series move from one development house to another during the development process. ACIII also started development during the development of revelations and revelations started during Brotherhoods development and so on. There are various studios working on different parts of the games.

Soulid_Snake
03-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Yes, but it was not developed by the same team. All of the games in AC series move from one development house to another during the development process. ACIII also started development during the development of revelations and revelations started during Brotherhoods development and so on. There are various studios working on different parts of the games.

I get where you are coming from, but AC series has always recycled, I doubt this will change anytime soon, new dev team or not. I don't even mind it, if they do a good job. For example,
AC:R and AC2, improved recycled mechanics from they're predecessors.

But, when a games shoddy and your reusing its coding, surely it has to have you worried? I mean come on, the character movement didn't feel properly calibrated in AC3, all previous games controls felt extremely tight and responsive.

I can tell you for a fact, from just by looking at a AC4 screenshot, has evidence of recycling.

Farlander1991
03-13-2013, 04:31 AM
Why does everybody say that ACIV is 'already 2 years in development'? That would mean that the development has started in March 2011. It was stated in an interview (I think it was with either Ashraf Ismail or Jean Gusdon) that development of Assassin's Creed IV started in September 2011. And since the release date is October, the game has to be completed and sent for Sony/Microsoft certification on September 2013. So the whole development cycle is 2 years.

With a project of this scope, the period of pre-production would last approximately 4 months. Which leaves us with 20 months of production. Which is enough, especially considering that most problems with AnvilNext were fixed in AC3. But it's not been in development for 2 years already, because that would mean that it's development cycle is close to 3 years.

But, anyway, just wanted to point that out. Honestly, I really, really hope that there is NO OTHER big console AC title in development right now. They really need to stop doing that, for the sake of a coherent modern day plot. I mean, if there would've been no meta-story in the modern world, I would be more fine with the yearly cycle. But there is. And, honestly, it has transformed into a mess.

Although there's also the problem with mechanics... most of the mechanical problems found in ACIII probably will not be addressed in ACIV. Some of them, no doubt, will be, but there hasn't been enough time to properly process all the feedback. And I know that the developers are saying that they're taking all the best from the previous AC games.... and I want to believe them... but so far there's nothing about fixing the worst of all the previous AC games, and there are problems that persist in the series ever since the first AC game.

SixKeys
03-13-2013, 04:40 AM
Why does everybody say that ACIV is 'already 2 years in development'? That would mean that the development has started in March 2011. It was stated in an interview (I think it was with either Ashraf Ismail or Jean Gusdon) that development of Assassin's Creed IV started in September 2011. And since the release date is October, the game has to be completed and sent for Sony/Microsoft certification on September 2013. So the whole development cycle is 2 years.

With a project of this scope, the period of pre-production would last approximately 4 months. Which leaves us with 20 months of production. Which is enough, especially considering that most problems with AnvilNext were fixed in AC3. But it's not been in development for 2 years already, because that would mean that it's development cycle is close to 3 years.

But, anyway, just wanted to point that out. Honestly, I really, really hope that there is NO OTHER big console AC title in development right now. They really need to stop doing that, for the sake of a coherent modern day plot. I mean, if there would've been no meta-story in the modern world, I would be more fine with the yearly cycle. But there is. And, honestly, it has transformed into a mess.

Although there's also the problem with mechanics... most of the mechanical problems found in ACIII probably will not be addressed in ACIV. Some of them, no doubt, will be, but there hasn't been enough time to properly process all the feedback. And I know that the developers are saying that they're taking all the best from the previous AC games.... and I want to believe them... but so far there's nothing about fixing the worst of all the previous AC games, and there are problems that persist in the series ever since the first AC game.

I think Darby McDevitt said on Twitter that he's been working on AC4 since summer 2011. If that's true, then they likely spent the first several months working on the script and then moved on to gameplay mechanics.

I completely agree with your concerns about the feedback processing. The feedback for AC3 didn't start pouring in until last November, there's no way they can possibly fix some of the most glaring issues if they're already almost 2 years into development.

MisterS_Here
03-13-2013, 06:56 AM

Well the forum post announcing ACIV here says that its been in development for almost two years. I think it says almost anyways :/