PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone feel Ben Franklin was under used?

itsamea-mario
03-09-2013, 01:57 AM
i know this is a pretty petty topic, but it just came into my head so i thought i'd post it here.
Remember in the build up to AC3, we all thought Benjamin Franklin would be a pretty significant character, i don't know much about him myself, however i believe he was quite an intelligent and inspired man, with several philosophies regarding matters such as freedom(i believe he noted the hypocrisy of the cause whilst they were still keeping slaves). This could have opened the door for some interesting dialogue and such. Instead what we got was a lengthy conversation about how he likes to sleep with old women.

Hopefully the 2nd part of TOKW will do him a little more justice.

SixKeys
03-09-2013, 02:36 AM
I didn't expect him to play a major part in the story (since he was in France for most of the war) but I had hoped they would at least make him somewhat interesting. The dialogue you mentioned was painfully long. If I ever play the game again, I'll make sure to skip it. I know it was modeled after his actual historic writings, but IMO it wasn't really funny or interesting enough to be included. I did like his voice though, for some reason.

I-Like-Pie45
03-09-2013, 03:51 AM
Poor guy never even got his almanac pages returned. :( At least in AC2 you got two cutscenes that showed what happened regarding those BLEEPING feathers. But no, we have to live with the potential fact that Connor as well as his dad are hoarding all the pages for themselves.

roostersrule2
03-09-2013, 04:01 AM
Poor guy never even got his almanac pages returned. :( At least in AC2 you got two cutscenes that showed what happened regarding those BLEEPING feathers. But no, we have to live with the potential fact that Connor as well as his dad are hoarding all the pages for themselves.I think I'm gonna be sick.

AdamPearce
03-09-2013, 04:18 AM
Actually I think ALL the important figures in the are under used. Going from Benjamin Franklin to Georges Washington passing by Lafayette and Putnam. Seriously, Ubisoft promised that those figuries would have an important place in the game. But in fact that's how they put them.

Franklin > We saw him one time at the begining for stupide secondary quest and 2 seconds at the signature of Independance...Oh yeah and we have his inventions to craft put we got no explanation on that and though they are completely useless.

Washington: We saw at the beginning with Haytham but we have no interaction with unless of seeing Tio beating the **** out of him (like a boss). After that with Connor, the only interesting thing on him is to know he launch the attacks on the village...and that's all. The other time he passes for a stupid and weak man that as no charisma at all, and the dialogue with him, gosh, even the alternative one in the streets between two civilian are more interesting. Seriously he just serve to nothing.

Israel Putnam > Two cinematics, one dialogue, and that's it, good bye Putnam. Is sad because he was a really fun character and I really enjoyed the little sequence with him.

Lafayette > Frenchies deceptions, the only dialogue with him it's about him turning into a lady to escape Red Coats view, what the bloody hell? Is that all that they can say about Lafayette? Also, he was basically the only one who had a nice relationship with Connor, they could've easily be friends, I hope will see him back in TOKW, but I don't think so...

The only who's really usefull is Sam Adams, because he really helps us trough all the story.

Eternal Reward
03-09-2013, 04:19 AM
Poor guy never even got his almanac pages returned. :( At least in AC2 you got two cutscenes that showed what happened regarding those BLEEPING feathers. But no, we have to live with the potential fact that Connor as well as his dad are hoarding all the pages for themselves.

Those bastards...

Roanark
03-09-2013, 04:28 AM
Full agreement with Adam a couple posts up, but I personally think the entire game was a flop... Just a rushed job out the door to make some money just like Revelations and probably Black Flag... I haven't been impressed since the first two games and it feels the series peaked after that.

Caeser_of_Rome
03-09-2013, 05:31 AM
I'll tell you this, if it wasn't for Three people America would've never existed. The 3 people are,

1.) Most importantly, Ben Franklin. He was the one that got the French into the War, and the French and America combined defeated the Brtish.

2.)Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben, a Prussian Military inspector and Trainer. He was the one who Trained the United states army during the Revolutionary war, and made it so we Stood a Big Chance against the British.

3.) Most Famous Person, Commander George Washington. Most battles this man was in he lost, but he kept the order and dicipline of the troops, and kept using Gurrilla warfare against the Reds to Stall time for the French.

Without these three men, the United States would've never been victorious.

So to Slack these men off in Assassins creed 3, is just really insulting.........................

Assassin_M
03-09-2013, 05:52 AM
I'll tell you this, if it wasn't for Three people America would've never existed. The 3 people are,

1.) Most importantly, Ben Franklin. He was the one that got the French into the War, and the French and America combined defeated the Brtish.

2.)Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben, a Prussian Military inspector and Trainer. He was the one who Trained the United states army during the Revolutionary war, and made it so we Stood a Big Chance against the British.

3.) Most Famous Person, Commander George Washington. Most battles this man was in he lost, but he kept the order and dicipline of the troops, and kept using Gurrilla warfare against the Reds to Stall time for the French.

Without these three men, the United States would've never been victorious.

So to Slack these men off in Assassins creed 3, is just really insulting.........................
the game is not about the story of how America was made, much as you want it to be..

"Sorry if this hurts your American Pride" -Shaun:)

Eternal Reward
03-09-2013, 06:27 AM
the game is not about the story of how America was made, much as you want it to be..

Actually, it kinda was....just showed how Connor was part of it.

Assassin_M
03-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Actually, it kinda was....just showed how Connor was part of it.
not really. The revolution comprised the main theme in sequences 6,7,8 and 10.

That`s just 4 out of 12

So, although yes the Revolution was indeed a main part of the game, it`s not the main story of the game...

AdamPearce
03-09-2013, 06:47 AM
not really. The revolution comprised the main theme in sequences 6,7,8 and 10.

That`s just 4 out of 12

So, although yes the Revolution was indeed a main part of the game, it`s not the main story of the game...

It's a good thing that the game is essentially concentrate on the Templar/Assassin ideology fight but in this case don't use the Revolution to do your trailers, otherwise, do a game on the Revolution. ACR's trailers showed us the quest of truth of Ezio, the ones of ACB the ascension of the Brotherhood, etc.

But all the ones of AC3 were on the Revolution. Even their godam' citation for the game was based on it: RISE. And when you look at the back of the box: Ignite the Revolution. C'mon.

At least make the figures we met important to the story, take of some of them to push the personnality of others, who care, it will still be better then have only 3 lines each...

Assassin_M
03-09-2013, 06:52 AM
It's a good thing that the game is essentially concentrate on the Templar/Assassin ideology fight but in this case don't use the Revolution to do your trailers, otherwise, do a game on the Revolution. ACR's trailers showed us the quest of truth of Ezio, the ones of ACB the ascension of the Brotherhood, etc.

But all the ones of AC3 were on the Revolution. Even their godam' citation for the game was based on it: RISE. And when you look at the back of the box: Ignite the Revolution. C'mon.

At least make the figures we met important to the story, take of some of them to push the personnality of others, who care, it will still be better then have only 3 lines each...
I think we all agreed that Ubisoft`s marketing was skewed as hell, but generally I agree with you...

telcontar7
03-09-2013, 08:41 AM
After that scene where he went on and on about young and older women I was glad that he didn't appear again. I wish he was used in a way that was relevant to the story.

Assassin_M
03-09-2013, 09:17 AM
After that scene where he went on and on about young and older women I was glad that he didn't appear again.
That was basically the first dating tip in the history of dating...HOW DARE YOU ?? It`s ALL RELEVANT TO THE STORY.....Had it been told to Connor. didnt seem like `Aytham needed advice xD

Caeser_of_Rome
03-09-2013, 04:13 PM

Was waiting for some idiot to say that. The Story takes place in the Revolutionary War, FYI Americas Birth.....You help out the Colonials in defeating the British......getting it now? Just waiting for you to say, "ohhhhh, yeah now I got it."

*Edit, Even look at the back of the Game case, you'll see the phrase, "Ignite the Revolution".

Assassin_M
03-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Was waiting for some idiot to say that. Very Mature...I love you too

The Story takes place in the Revolutionary War, FYI Americas Birth.....You help out the Colonials in defeating the British......getting it now? Just waiting for you to say, "ohhhhh, yeah now I got it." Wait...Wait...Wait.....Not laughing..also, you`re helping Assassins defeat the Templars...Not Colonials in defeating the British...Pay attention to what you play, buddy xD

*Edit, Even look at the back of the Game case, you'll see the phrase, "Ignite the Revolution"
Skewed Marketing. I thought you were smarter than that

There`s the Idiot who said that....Me

MasterSimaYi
03-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Not this argument again. The American purists insist the game is about the founding of their glorious nation, those who are not fond of America insist that the American Revolution is just the backdrop of the game.

The thing is that Connor's duty as an Assassin is fighting the Templars, but his own agenda has him supporting and fighting alongside the patriots in claiming independence from Great Britain to secure his people's future. His fights with the patriots and George Washington for his own people, and he doesn't just do that because his goal of fighting the Templars with aiding the patriots. Connor willingly aided the patriots during the Battles of Lexington and Concord, during the Battle of Monmouth and when uncovering Benedict Arnold's treachery, just as a few examples.

Kanen'tó:kon: "Tell me something. The other Kanien'kehá:ka side with the Loyalists. Our village alone commits to no one. And you seem to favor the Patriots."
Connor: "I favor only freedom."

Connor's exploits in supporting the Continental Army undeniably had him play a part in the nation's foundation, and even Washington points this out in his notebook.

"I especially think of Connor, the mysterious man who played such a surprising role in my destiny and that of the nation..."

Just wish it would be actually hard to stumble onto an argument about this subject.

Caeser_of_Rome
03-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Not this argument again. The American purists insist the game is about the founding of their glorious nation, those who are not fond of America insist that the American Revolution is just the backdrop of the game.

The thing is that Connor's duty as an Assassin is fighting the Templars, but his own agenda has him supporting and fighting alongside the patriots in claiming independence from Great Britain to secure his people's future. His fights with the patriots and George Washington for his own people, and he doesn't just do that because his goal of fighting the Templars with aiding the patriots. Connor willingly aided the patriots during the Battles of Lexington and Concord, during the Battle of Monmouth and when uncovering Benedict Arnold's treachery, just as a few examples.

Kanen'tó:kon: "Tell me something. The other Kanien'kehá:ka side with the Loyalists. Our village alone commits to no one. And you seem to favor the Patriots."
Connor: "I favor only freedom."

Connor's exploits in supporting the Continental Army undeniably had him play a part in the nation's foundation, and even Washington points this out in his notebook.

"I especially think of Connor, the mysterious man who played such a surprising role in my destiny and that of the nation..."

Just wish it would be actually hard to stumble onto an argument about this subject.

Finally someone Smart!

Assassin_M
03-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Finally someone Smart!
You WOULD say that..

Surprised you managed to understand his post...did you read all of it ?