PDA

View Full Version : Size of AC4 cities?

freddie_1897
03-07-2013, 09:41 PM
the three main cities are, correct me if i'm wrong, Kingston (Port Royale), Nassau, and La Habana (which i can only assume is now 'Havana'). My query is how big these cities are, any maps, pictures, events, etc. from that time. Because for me they could be anything from a bunch of shacks to a sprawling metropolis.

pacmanate
03-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I don't know what you just said, but I like cities.

Rugterwyper32
03-07-2013, 09:49 PM
the three main cities are, correct me if i'm wrong, Kingston (Port Royale), Nassau, and La Habana (which i can only assume is now 'Havana'). My query is how big these cities are, any maps, pictures, events, etc. from that time. Because for me they could be anything from a bunch of shacks to a sprawling metropolis.

This topic has some explanation about the cities so you can have the idea: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/756593-All-you-need-to-know-about-AC4-locations

Havana will easily be the biggest. It's been described as "Florence under the Caribbean sun" by the developers, and looking at the concept art, they ain't kidding.

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/d/d0/Caribbean_city_ACIV.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/a/a6/601530_540955815949856_602942696_n.jpg

We know little about Kingston and Nassau, but they should turn out interesting.

LoyalACFan
03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Kingston is said to be somewhat reminiscent of Boston, except it's surrounded with plantations and tobacco fields. And Nassau... I'm presuming it'll be the smallest, but it's an all-pirate town, so it should be interesting to say the least.

freddie_1897
03-07-2013, 09:55 PM
This topic has some explanation about the cities so you can have the idea: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/756593-All-you-need-to-know-about-AC4-locations

Havana will easily be the biggest. It's been described as "Florence under the Caribbean sun" by the developers, and looking at the concept art, they ain't kidding.

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/a/a6/601530_540955815949856_602942696_n.jpg

Havana looks amazing. I'm really interested in the cities because Havana was spanish i believe, Kingston was British, and Nassau was French (i think). So that's three different kinds of architecture in one game but in the carribean.

emperior
03-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Hopefully they are gonna be big...

TheBearJew32
03-07-2013, 10:01 PM
This may shed some light.
http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/Assassins-Creed-4-Black-Flag-Caribbean-Map-570x366.jpg

andre982d
03-07-2013, 10:02 PM
This is an absolutely beautiful British map showing the city plan for Kingston, Jamaica, 1745.

http://sanfranciscoarchive.com/ebay15/ct001905w.jpg

JCearlyyears
03-07-2013, 10:05 PM
That looks extremely gridded. And thats a lot of boats.

LoyalACFan
03-07-2013, 10:05 PM
This is an absolutely beautiful British map showing the city plan for Kingston, Jamaica, 1745.

http://sanfranciscoarchive.com/ebay15/ct001905w.jpg

Wow. And they removed Philadephia because it was too grid-like? :p

Nice find though, Andre, you're always the man with the great maps.

freddie_1897
03-07-2013, 10:07 PM
This may shed some light.
http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/Assassins-Creed-4-Black-Flag-Caribbean-Map-570x366.jpg
okay, so there are 3 markers on that map, but one of them points at florida, when we haven't had a city confirmed for that area. There isn't a marker for Kingston however, yet it's been confirmed as a city. So just what the hell are those markers for? assassin dens?

Megas_Doux
03-07-2013, 10:10 PM
To the Op:

Havana is its name in english, while "La Habana" in spanish. In regards of that city, it was a pretty big deal way back when, its population was more than both Boston and NY combined during AC III´s timeframe.

There was also a gorgeous one, for those buildings known as "Old Habana" were named a UNESCO World Heritage place, so it is fair to say that La Habana has a lot potential to become a fan favorite.

And given the fact that 3 out of my top 5 locations are coastal cities (Constantinople, Venice and NY) I am hyped about it..

AherasSTRG
03-07-2013, 10:13 PM
The pirate cities of Carribean by that time were very big. In fact, one the those 3 cities (I think Havana, but i am not exactly sure) was 3rd biggest city of America at that time. It also was twice as large as Boston (the biggest city of North America).

Rugterwyper32
03-07-2013, 10:21 PM

Nice find though, Andre, you're always the man with the great maps.

Well, these devs clearly don't think the way the AC3 devs thought, having that in mind.
Heck, New Orleans was pretty gridded and the devs for Liberation made it work.

LoyalACFan
03-07-2013, 10:22 PM
okay, so there are 3 markers on that map, but one of them points at florida, when we haven't had a city confirmed for that area. There isn't a marker for Kingston however, yet it's been confirmed as a city. So just what the hell are those markers for? assassin dens?

It's hard to say what they are exactly, but the Assassin symbols have nothing to do with the three main cities. They're blown up a bit in the three boxes on the sides; one is in the coast lands of Florida, one is in the Cayo Islands, and one is on the coast of Andreas.

And making things more interesting, there are subtitles in each of the boxes. I had to look up a higher-res version to make them out, but the Florida one reads "within a shipwreck on the beach", the Andreas one says "abandoned on the beach", and the Cayo Islands one says "close to the shore among rocks." That doesn't sound like Assassin dens to me (how could you have a den in a shipwreck?) but there's obviously something significant in each of those places.

monster_rambo
03-07-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm hoping there is a hub, similar to Homestead or Monteriggioni where you base your assassins/pirate headquarters. Without the boring Homestead missions of course.

emperior
03-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Last assassin den was Masyaf I think... then they realized it had no sense to had a den.
Monteriggioni was a den infact it got destroyed but was more a secret den then masyaf.

LoyalACFan
03-07-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm hoping there is a hub, similar to Homestead or Monteriggioni where you base your assassins/pirate headquarters. Without the boring Homestead missions of course.

I'm thinking Nassau will serve this purpose. I remember hearing from one of the news sources that that would be where Edward built his base.

Rugterwyper32
03-07-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm thinking Nassau will serve this purpose. I remember hearing from one of the news sources that that would be where Edward built his base.

The problem would be how to handle that if the game got past 1718, after Woodes Rogers arrived. They'll probably find a way, though.
I personally was hoping for the sections on the map with Assassin symbols to be hideouts at first, but with those descriptions underneath, I doubt it by now

Sushiglutton
03-07-2013, 10:39 PM
I think they will be fine. Every AC game has imo delivered a stunning world, I'm not really worried about that :). That Lacoste guy seems to know what he is doing (AC:R had a beautiful color palette). The Caribbean is naturally beautiful. Those art works are incredible btw. I'm much more concerned about the game-part of the project. That's where AC has always struggled to deliver.

freddie_1897
03-07-2013, 10:39 PM
I was hoping they'd have assassin dens in each city, similar to AC1, but with one main assassin den inland somewhere, hidden in the jungle

monster_rambo
03-07-2013, 10:42 PM
I know the Frontier wasn't everyone's favorite and it certainly wasn't mind but I am still hoping some kind of natural environment other than underwater to return to the game. They need to make navigation more challenging and fun and remove QTEs or implement a new system into hunting.

TheBearJew32
03-07-2013, 10:52 PM
And making things more interesting, there are subtitles in each of the boxes. I had to look up a higher-res version to make them out, but the Florida one reads "within a shipwreck on the beach", the Andreas one says "abandoned on the beach", and the Cayo Islands one says "close to the shore among rocks." That doesn't sound like Assassin dens to me (how could you have a den in a shipwreck?) but there's obviously something significant in each of those places.
Treasure...i say its gotta be similar to the kidd missions (each location has a clue) ...someone mentioned The Fountain of Youth?
idk just speculation. The Kidd missions were awful compared to the tombs, so hopefully if this is the case, it's a lot better with thrilling levels and gives a better reward than a goofy outfit and a crumby shard that "deflects bullets"

LoyalACFan
03-07-2013, 11:04 PM
I know the Frontier wasn't everyone's favorite and it certainly wasn't mind but I am still hoping some kind of natural environment other than underwater to return to the game. They need to make navigation more challenging and fun and remove QTEs or implement a new system into hunting.

It's been confirmed that the jungle will be a major play area, so there's one of your concerns put to rest. Also, I think hunting will be downplayed somewhat; I don't see Edward being much of a hunter like Connor was.

And I completely disagree about navigation needing to be more challenging... If anything, that's the one aspect of the game that should feel easy and natural.

monster_rambo
03-07-2013, 11:10 PM
It's been confirmed that the jungle will be a major play area, so there's one of your concerns put to rest. Also, I think hunting will be downplayed somewhat; I don't see Edward being much of a hunter like Connor was.

And I completely disagree about navigation needing to be more challenging... If anything, that's the one aspect of the game that should feel easy and natural.

I don't know. I always felt that there should be some level of challenge reaching view points. At the very least, there should be some level of thinking or maneuvers that requires some level of skill like reaching the top church in AC1.

freddie_1897
03-07-2013, 11:20 PM
I don't know. I always felt that there should be some level of challenge reaching view points. At the very least, there should be some level of thinking or maneuvers that requires some level of skill like reaching the top church in AC1.
I agree with the viewpoints, i found it too easy to climb those tall structures in Revelations and 3

Sl1ckM4st3r
03-08-2013, 12:44 AM

The jungles will be there. Plenty of them. You can go to a bunch of random islands and a lot of those random islands will actually be full of jungle.

SAT-14
03-08-2013, 01:32 AM
who cares about the size ? as long as its packed with stuff to do then **** size

LoyalACFan
03-08-2013, 01:48 AM

OK, I can agree with you about the viewpoints. I thought you were just talking about free-running in general. But yeah, having some challenging structures to climb would be fine.

inferno33222
03-08-2013, 03:27 AM

It wasn't because it was grid-like, it was because the streets were too wide in most places.

LoyalACFan
03-08-2013, 03:34 AM
It wasn't because it was grid-like, it was because the streets were too wide in most places.

That was a contributing factor as well, but I definitely remember them saying it was too grid-like to be fun.

monster_rambo
03-08-2013, 04:38 AM

Right...at first I did believe that they remove Philadephia for being too grid-like or the streets being too wide but after playing ACIII, I found out that this is really an excuse because the streets were wide and parkour became non-existent. I'm pretty sure they just removed it because they didn't have enough time to complete the game before the dead line. That could explain why so many things were poorly done.

Eternal Reward
03-08-2013, 04:48 AM
I honestly didn't feel like New York and Boston were different at all in AC3. Would have been nice to have a city that was different.

pirate1802
03-08-2013, 04:50 AM
I honestly didn't feel like New York and Boston were different at all in AC3. Would have been nice to have a city that was different.

No they weren't :P New York just seemed to be a cleaner version of Boston.

Also about NY, is it just me or that city was introduced a tad too late in the game?

Eternal Reward
03-08-2013, 04:51 AM

Also about NY, is it just me or that city was introduced a tad too late in the game?

Three fourths of the way through the game. So...yeah.

Annoying as heck for me, cause you had to get into New York to get the dual holsters.

rileypoole1234
03-08-2013, 04:51 AM

I think it'd be cool if Eddie's headquarters was his ship. It'd be cool to go below deck and into the captain's quarters and look over charts and stuff.

Eternal Reward
03-08-2013, 04:53 AM
I think it'd be cool if Eddie's headquarters was his ship. It'd be cool to go below deck and into the captain's quarters and look over charts and stuff.

The ship is suppose to be a character, so I hope they make it basically the homestead.

LoyalACFan
03-08-2013, 05:04 AM

Yes. And even when you unlocked it, there were only like three missions in it (not counting the ones where you're stuck in jail).

pirate1802
03-08-2013, 05:06 AM
Yes. And even when you unlocked it, there were only like three missions in it (not counting the ones where you're stuck in jail).

Yeah and that jail mission was a full sequence. Wasted city IMO. Hope they space out the AC IV cities well.

Eternal Reward
03-08-2013, 05:10 AM
Yeah and that jail mission was a full sequence. Wasted city IMO. Hope they space out the AC IV cities well.

That sequence annoyed me even more because I was stuck, in New York, wanting to unlock the seamstress lady so I could get my bloody dual holsters....but instead I had to kill annoying old Hicky.

Kirokill
03-08-2013, 05:19 AM
AC3 frontier was the major thing taking all the space. If there will not be a big frontier then I can guarantee the cities will be big and well detailed.

monster_rambo
03-08-2013, 05:20 AM

This is so true. There is a sense of uneven pacing in the game and at times, there are sequences or missions that should have been in the game to bridge some of the gap in the story but were not present in the story. There is also an uneven balance of seasons. I waited so long for it to become winter but I finished the game before I could change the seasons.

LoyalACFan
03-08-2013, 05:23 AM

I imagine they had intended to have more sequences in NY, but then they cut out the Great Fire for some reason... I'm sure that would have been a good chunk of NY content if they had put it in.

pirate1802
03-08-2013, 05:29 AM
I had imagined the visit to New York would have been like the visit to Venice, kinda like the halfway point. :(

I-Like-Pie45
03-08-2013, 06:00 AM
I see all this concept art of the Great Fire and become depressed at what may have been. Again.

Oh well. I'll see it someday. Alongside frozen lakes in winter, canoes, and randomly generated battles between Redcoats and Patriots.

monster_rambo
03-08-2013, 06:15 AM

These cities look like Spanish, Venice, with an middle easternn mix into it. They could make it as vibrant as Constantinople, enchanted feeling of Venice, with a mix of stoic serious tone of Damascus all into one.

Dimension.
03-08-2013, 09:33 AM
I feel quite happy with this. The cities look like they're going to be interesting after all. In future games we'll hopefully visit Paris, London and greater cities like that, but this is good enough for now. Now, all I'm really worried about is the story, focus on naval battles and the structure of missions (hope they go back to focusing on actual assassinations in this game).

Farlander1991
03-08-2013, 09:51 AM
I imagine they had intended to have more sequences in NY, but then they cut out the Great Fire for some reason... I'm sure that would have been a good chunk of NY content if they had put it in.

Technical reasons. The devs mentioned it in interviews or Q&As. Things just weren't working properly with the Great Fire.

RinoTheBouncer
03-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Am I the only one who actually thinks that all cities from all AC games are just the same with different textures and little changes in some structures?

ze_topazio
03-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Am I the only one who actually thinks that all cities from all AC games are just the same with different textures and little changes in some structures?

Yes you are.

MasterAssasin84
03-08-2013, 12:33 PM

I would imagine Havana would be the biggest out of the three cuba is the biggest island in the caribbean Nassau and Kingston i would say mediocre in terms of size but none the less i am very excited about exploring them.

Megas_Doux
03-08-2013, 01:34 PM

This!

In my book, NY is greatly underrated and underused. I hope that it has more protagonism in TTKW, I really like it.

pirate1802
03-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I wonder which city is this... Doesn't look like Havana. Kingston maybe?

http://cs323131.vk.me/v323131149/82b6/lshcnivJdsM.jpg

MasterAssasin84
03-08-2013, 04:02 PM

I would be willing to be thats Nassau the image below is Nassau today, look at the tower in this pic and the one in the gameplay picture ?

I could be wrong but its a shrude guess.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/Nassau-hall-princeton.JPG/250px-Nassau-hall-princeton.JPG

twenty_glyphs
03-08-2013, 04:20 PM
I love the way Havana looks in the artwork and a few screens so far. It gives off a similar exotic feeling from past cities like Damascus, Venice and Constantinople. I love the unique type of architecture that it brings. If it really is like a Spanish version of Florence, that sounds great. I just hope the streets aren't too wide. If they are in some areas, they need to be better about adding routes across the gaps. I am fine with having wider streets, especially in front of large landmarks, but they can still add ropes and other paths around and across those areas. AC3 was terrible at that. My memories of the game are mostly just running on the ground trying to find a route up all the time, which was so dull compared to previous games. I still remember the claustrophobic feeling from AC1's cities and thinking how interesting it was seeing cities so crammed together like that, and how fun it was to play around in them.

Another great point from this thread has been the pacing of the cities. AC2 was great, opening up in Florence for a few sequences, then introducing Monterrigioni and Tuscany/San Gimignano for a couple, back to a new part of Florence, then on to Romagna and eventually Venice by the halfway point of the game. With the DLC, the pacing continued to be good by coming back through Romagna and on to a new part of Florence. AC3's pacing was just all over the place, and New York felt really pointless. AC4 needs to have good pacing when introducing the cities and good story reasons for each new location introduced along with significant missions taking place in each city's sandbox (not the linear style of AC3's New York).

pirate1802
03-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I would be willing to be thats Nassau the image below is Nassau today, look at the tower in this pic and the one in the gameplay picture ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/Nassau-hall-princeton.JPG/250px-Nassau-hall-princeton.JPG

Nice catch. So that's the pirate city. I guess the shanty look points towards it too. But then who are those guards? French?

MasterAssasin84
03-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Nice catch. So that's the pirate city. I guess the shanty look points towards it too. But then who are those guards? French?

I think they are Spanish because in the trailor when blackbeard says he once see him clear the deck of a Spanish Galleon you may recall we see him dual weilding pistols on the deck of a ship from which i can only assume that it was a Spanish ship as the guards are dressed in white as of the Trailor.

Or they could be Dutch as they landed their during that time .

ze_topazio
03-08-2013, 08:18 PM

That tower looks nothing like the one in the picture.

MasterAssasin84
03-08-2013, 08:34 PM
That tower looks nothing like the one in the picture.

No but its very similar in its design

Cornik22
03-08-2013, 08:38 PM

Nope, that's clearly Havana, under spanish rule. Remeber, guys. Spanish soldiers will wear white, english red + white, and french blue + white. I'm in fact wondering if we'll see french enemies in the game, and we should because they had several islands (like Guadeloupe and Martinique) under their control, not to mention Haiti (then known as Saint-Domigue). I can't wait to travel to the infamous Tortuga island (seen several times in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies) near Haiti, which was also french and appears in the official AC:Black Flag map.

TheHumanTowel
03-08-2013, 08:50 PM
I love the way Havana looks in the artwork and a few screens so far. It gives off a similar exotic feeling from past cities like Damascus, Venice and Constantinople. I love the unique type of architecture that it brings. If it really is like a Spanish version of Florence, that sounds great. I just hope the streets aren't too wide. If they are in some areas, they need to be better about adding routes across the gaps. I am fine with having wider streets, especially in front of large landmarks, but they can still add ropes and other paths around and across those areas. AC3 was terrible at that. My memories of the game are mostly just running on the ground trying to find a route up all the time, which was so dull compared to previous games. I still remember the claustrophobic feeling from AC1's cities and thinking how interesting it was seeing cities so crammed together like that, and how fun it was to play around in them.

Another great point from this thread has been the pacing of the cities. AC2 was great, opening up in Florence for a few sequences, then introducing Monterrigioni and Tuscany/San Gimignano for a couple, back to a new part of Florence, then on to Romagna and eventually Venice by the halfway point of the game. With the DLC, the pacing continued to be good by coming back through Romagna and on to a new part of Florence. AC3's pacing was just all over the place, and New York felt really pointless. AC4 needs to have good pacing when introducing the cities and good story reasons for each new location introduced along with significant missions taking place in each city's sandbox (not the linear style of AC3's New York).
I think part of the reason AC3's cities were so strangely paced is because tons of missions were cut from the game. We were supposed to visit New York before the Great Fire but that was entirely cut. Maybe those missions were a proper introduction to the city instead of the intro we did get where we're immediately imprisoned and set on rails for the whole sequence after which there's barely any important missions in New York.

hellomrdarcy
03-08-2013, 09:07 PM
I love the pictures of the setting this far, and I look forward to see more of it. Something Ubisoft never disappoints with in the AC games is the enviroment, IMO they deliver everytime. And I really do understand why they chose the Carribean; it's a beautiful, colorful place, including it's native carribean people. It'll be awesome walking the streets and hear all the different accents (I especially love Carribean accents:o). I don't know, I guess I kinda have a soft spot for warm places...

twenty_glyphs
03-08-2013, 09:35 PM

It looks like the same city and short tower as this shot, which also has the iconic Spanish church from the Havana artwork:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/10/1362426194-1.jpg

Megas_Doux
04-17-2013, 12:44 AM
http://www.examiner.com/article/assassin-s-creed-4-exclusive-the-flavors-of-havana-kingston-and-nassau?cid=rss

"The 3 major cities are all unique and have their own flavor.

"Havana is very busy with buildings and landmarks. Streets are tight and roof running is highlighted. It is also beautiful and very European in its flavor. This city was inspired by Venice from 'ACII.'

La Habana sounds really promising.....

Rugterwyper32
04-17-2013, 01:02 AM
http://www.examiner.com/article/assassin-s-creed-4-exclusive-the-flavors-of-havana-kingston-and-nassau?cid=rss

"The 3 major cities are all unique and have their own flavor.

"Havana is very busy with buildings and landmarks. Streets are tight and roof running is highlighted. It is also beautiful and very European in its flavor. This city was inspired by Venice from 'ACII.'

La Habana sounds really promising.....

It really does. I have no doubts it'll be the best city in the game and one of the best in the series overall.
Nassau sounds like I was expecting it to be. Having been taken over by pirates, I expect all sorts of shacks and the such varying in height and being chaotically organized since they'll all just have their turf where their crews are and stuff.
Kingston has a lot of potential if done right. It helps that a bunch of the city was under construction by then, so if they can take advantage of that combined with nature and the overall beauty of the area (Just go look at the landscape of the Blue Mountains in Jamaica) then we could have something great.

But La Habana alone is what's keeping me as hyped for this game as I am.

Jayden26
04-17-2013, 01:51 AM

I don't know what is wrong with you people, I make a thread about an AC set in Australia/New Zealand showing off architecture 300x grander and larger than this and you guys aren't impressed but someone posts a tiny cathedral and you are all salivating over it!?!?!
I think it is just plain anti-Australian

Megas_Doux
04-17-2013, 01:57 AM
I don't know what is wrong with you people, I make a thread about an AC set in Australia/New Zealand showing off architecture 300x grander and larger than this and you guys aren't impressed but someone posts a tiny cathedral and you are all salivating over it!?!?!
I think it is just plain anti-Australian

Meh!!!!

Old Havanna, aka La Vieja Habana, is an UNESCO world Heritage site, just saying.......

And, for the 78934574857487584 time! Australia is a huge gorgeous country, for it lacks a historic appealing setting for the general public!!! Heck even Manicent, an Australian himself, has said so.......Stop spamming that "hate" theory all over the place, please.......

Soulid_Snake
04-17-2013, 02:36 AM
I'm not worried about the size, too much, I'm more worried about how the cities are gonna look. The glimpse of the Havana buildings worry me, excluding the Cathedral, the rest of the buildings look like a copy and paste job. The attention to detail of the cities in AC2 is immense, no one building looks the same, shows you the effort that went into that game.