PDA

View Full Version : Things to consider before pre-ordering AC4

SixKeys
03-07-2013, 12:14 AM
As interesting as some features in AC4 sound, there's a reason I'm refusing to jump aboard the hype train. This is not so much due to the fact that AC devs have promised things before which ended up not quite as promised in the final game, but has more to do with how Ubisoft as a company has behaved towards its fans. Misccommunication, false information, broken promises, poor support, broken games...

I'm already seeing some fans frothing at the mouth for AC4, ready to pre-order. Lest the shiny trailers and glowing press previews blind us towards Ubisoft's past behavior, I would just like to remind everyone of a few simple facts that we, as a community, have had to deal with in the past year alone.

AC3-specific issues:

-Several features that were widely advertised by the devs and shown in promo screenshots (such as canoes, the Great Fire of New York, frozen lakes and random events) were cut prior to release.
-The game was released full of bugs, probably the buggiest AC game to date. Some of these were addressed in later patches, others not (the dual holsters bug was only half-fixed, for example).
-Many North Americans felt the NA-exclusive limited edition was inferior compared to the European limited edition.

PC-exclusive issues:

-AC3's PC version, like its three predecessors, was delayed by several weeks after players being reassured multiple times that this would not be the case.
-Many players reported severe FPS problems with AC3 from day 1. So far there has not been a patch to fix the issue and no indication there ever will be.
-Multiplayer fans did not have access to the Champion Packs for 4 months. Repeated requests for a simple update on the issue only resulted in silence and Twitter blocks. No explanation was ever given for the delay.
-Multiplayer fans who had played ACB and ACR also had to wait several months for their Loyalty unlocks. There is evidence that these were already in the game early on, but only available to Ubisoft developers. (Whereas console players had them unlocked from the start.) Once word started spreading and fans began asking for an explanation, the Loyalty unlocks mysteriously disappeared even from the devs' accounts. No explanation was ever given for the delay.
-There was a lot of confusion and misinformation surrounding the Digital Deluxe Edition and which extras it would include. Ubisoft Support gave conflicting information to different players who had pre-ordered their DDE before a certain date vs. those who pre-ordered after that date.
-Several game-breaking glitches, such as having no way to back out besides quitting the game when opening the Encyclopedia of the Common Man in the mansion.

Multiplayer issues:

-Major game-breaking multiplayer exploits and bugs such as the kill streak and minor hack exploits go entirely unaddressed by the community developers. No thread or post publically acknowledging the problem is given, only an occasional stock response "we are aware of the problem".
-DLC content split the playerbase as it did in ACR. After only a couple of weeks players realized that finding matches on the (paid) DLC maps was nearly impossible.
-Lag and Ubi server problems from previous games are still a big issue.
-Recycled music and kill animations from ACR, suggesting laziness or lack of time to polish the multiplayer experience.

Communication issues:

-Comm devs, forum staffers and Ubisoft Support often offer conflicting information regarding gameplay issues, bugs, exclusive content etc. It feels as though there's no coherent oversight between Ubi employees. Some things that would seem easy enough to find out (like "ETA for the latest patch?") sometimes take weeks to find out because nobody in the company seems to have definite information.
-Prior to AC3's release, it was promised that there would be much stronger multiplayer community support and better communication between fans and developers. In practice, however, comm devs almost never respond directly to fans' questions or requests for information. Major problems go unaddressed for weeks or months, without even an estimation of a possible patch release. The comm dev posts a new thread informing players about character skins available for purchase once a week (lately not even that) and that's the extent of their communication with the fans.

Vote with your wallet. Just sayin'.

Eternal Reward
03-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Hey, I'm Xbox. While they might not like you PC players, they don't hate us as much.

And I'm relatively confident they will do a lot better this time, though I am going to wait a while before I pre-order, if I do, just to make sure they make good on some stuff.

And, don't we already have a "Reasons you shouldn't preorder" thread?

Escappa
03-07-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm not overthink things that "could" be bad...I just do it and see, and to this day, I always become smarter after my misstakes, even if this game "could" be bad.....so AC4, here I come !

TheHumanTowel
03-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Pre-ordering at this stage before we've even seen any actual gameplay is madness, for any game really not just for AC4 given what happened with AC3 last year. It's far too early and we know too little to go rushing off committing to buying it. I never pre-order anything and I'd advise AC fans to be a little more cautious with their money at this early stage. Wait until they've actually shown gameplay at the very least.

Escappa
03-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Pre-ordering at this stage before we've even seen any actual gameplay is madness, for any game really not just for AC4 given what happened with AC3 last year. It's far too early and we know too little to go rushing off committing to buying it. I never pre-order anything and I'd advise AC fans to be a little more cautious with their money at this early stage. Wait until they've actually shown gameplay at the very least.

Good point...I always pre-order games like two months before or so, but I know that how bad people will say this game is (and trust me they will, the haters are always more noticed than the likers) I am going to buy it, and I don't want to wait for it :p

Eternal Reward
03-07-2013, 12:26 AM

Well, yeah. I thought this was assumed.

pacmanate
03-07-2013, 12:33 AM
All I know is that when Im in Uni this year and I miss my 90 edition I will be pissed. So my thing I am considering is just getting the normal edition.

SixKeys
03-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Well, yeah. I thought this was assumed.

Apparently not, since some people already pre-ordered as soon as they saw the CG trailer.

Eternal Reward
03-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Apparently not, since some people already pre-ordered as soon as they saw the CG trailer.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs39/f/2009/001/e/e/Well_That__s_Stupid_by_DoctorNorik.png

At least wait til we hear Edward's voice.....

monster_rambo
03-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Does anyone really want to play as an Abstergo employee? I rather play as other modern Assassin's or follow the lives of Rebecca, Shaun, and William's crew.

D.I.D.
03-07-2013, 12:49 AM
PC-exclusive issues:

-Many players reported severe FPS problems with AC3 from day 1. So far there has not been a patch to fix the issue and no indication there ever will be.

I think Ubisoft could save themselves and their PC customers a lot of headaches if they just added a better range of graphics options.

For example, the new Tomb Raider has initial crash issues on PC, and it turns out that if you switch off tesselation the crashes are prevented. If users can modify their experience, it's easier for your customers to figure out what's wrong by themselves, and help the team through reports to narrow down the problems. As things stand, Ubisoft's approach makes them appear to be avoiding the issues altogether, when in truth they might be trying very hard to correct issues.

Customers tend to groan out loud all over the internet if an amateur enthusiast releases an .ini edit the solves the problems before the company makes an official response.

Sushiglutton
03-07-2013, 01:01 AM
I don't pre-order any games anymore. I think the pre-order culture leads to a lot of negative things for gaming such as broken releases, marketing more important than quality, games looking good more important than them playing well etc. Here are two great recent videos on the topic :D :

Totalbiscuit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y

Jim Sterling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHLEQC5y4UY

bveUSbve
03-07-2013, 09:30 AM
I don't pre-order any games anymore. I think the pre-order culture leads to a lot of negative things for gaming such as broken releases, marketing more important than quality, games looking good more important than them playing well etc. Here are two great recent videos on the topic :D :
Agreed.

thekarlone
03-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Does anyone really want to play as an Abstergo employee? I rather play as other modern Assassin's or follow the lives of Rebecca, Shaun, and William's crew.

May the Father of Understanding guide us.

xaventh
03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Only reason to pre order is to get collectors editions.....I been at Target and Walmart and both have had the collectors for AC3 still in stock this week. (For PS3). Why else would you pre order it? IT WILL NOT SELL OUT ON OPENING DAY.

Farlander1991
03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm gonna pre-order AC4 a few days before PC release so I could pre-load it.

But I'm not the best example. I'm pursuing a career in Game Design, and the whole AC series(ever since the first game in 2007) proved to be a very good exercise for analyzing game mechanics, systems, and everything else. To learn 'dos' and 'donts' and define your own design philosophy (which would further be applied in different projects). So I'm going to continue the trend. And, honestly, in my case that will be money well spent even if the game turns out to be a total disaster. And there are a number of games that I'm getting for that analytical purpose, regardless of their quality (sometimes I deliberately get games I know are bad... because, sometimes you just have to go through the **** to really see the 'donts'...). And all that good stuff :)

So, quoting Ezio, 'Do not follow me, or anyone else.' I don't agree with the pre-order practices, but I do pre-order for convenience purposes because there are games that I know I'm gonna buy on Day 1 anyway (for reasons stated above). So, yeah. I guess that may make me sound a bit hypocritical, since I'm supporting with my wallet something I don't necessarily agree with... but it's a level of hypocrisy I can live with. Plus I don't pre-order that many games anyway, because there aren't that many games that I know I'm getting on Day 1.

PS. Props for the TotalBiscuit vid. Love the guy. :)

MasterAssasin84
03-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Hey, I'm Xbox. While they might not like you PC players, they don't hate us as much.

And I'm relatively confident they will do a lot better this time, though I am going to wait a while before I pre-order, if I do, just to make sure they make good on some stuff.

And, don't we already have a "Reasons you shouldn't preorder" thread?

I agree with you, i am waiting for the collectors editions before i pre order .

d4st4n96
03-07-2013, 12:09 PM
I agree with you, i am waiting for the collectors editions before i pre order .
So am I... xDD
I'm waiting to see some GAMEPLAY and the Collector's Edition

True_Assassin92
03-07-2013, 01:24 PM
I agree, but you can still cancel your pre order and here in Belgium you don't have to pay anything in advance. So no losses here.

AherasSTRG
03-07-2013, 01:37 PM

Only reason holding me back from being overhyped...