PDA

View Full Version : Which location was your favorite, and why?

inferno33222
03-06-2013, 03:15 AM
Vote on which location is your favorite, and describe why.

My personal favorite location is the Frontier because I love the tree-climbing, and there is always something to hunt or some cliff to scale, etc. I think that the scenery is especially beautiful. While it may feel empty sometimes, I really enjoyed the Frontier Missions involving Boone and all of the myths. I thought those were creative and interesting. My only complaint is that the side missions were weak, such as the delivery missions, however that was an overall game design, not just the Frontier.

Honestly, the Frontier is not big enough, in my opinion. I wish it was at least twice as big, as long as it was appropriately filled with things to do, which should have been easier. More random events (make the Convoys appear more often), more Forts that are replay-able. In my opinion, the Frontier was too small. I wanted vast lakes to cross (with canoes and other boats) and towering mountains with sheer cliff faces to climb. I wanted more towns with a more realistic economy, however I really just feel that there should have been more remarkable natural landmarks. Imagine a viewpoint that is the summit of a mountain. That would be amazing. Anyway, I think the Frontier is the best because, especially with the tree-climbing, it offered the freshness that the series required.

EDIT: For those wondering, I could not include Masayaf, Monterigionni, Cappadocia, the Appennine Mountains, and the Homestead because polls are limited to 10 options. This is also why I combined Boston with New York and Damascus with Jerusalem.

EDIT 2: Also, here's my top 5 locations:

1. The Frontier
2. Florence
3. Boston
4. Constantinople
5. Tuscany

By the way, I thought Rome was poorly constructed. Too many unscalable cliffs that separated the city for no reason, and made traversing it obnoxious. Loved the landmarks though (Colosseum!).

Megas_Doux
03-06-2013, 03:18 AM
Within AC3 alone, I would go like this:
Frontier
NY
Homestead
Boston

Including all the AC cities/locations so far, this is my top 5:

Constantinople
Venice
Damascus
The Frontier
New York

Just saw the poll, my bad. I chose Constantinople mostly because I really like coastal cities, and that plus the fact is full of life and gorgeous at night, really sets the mood for me, and its soundtrack is awesome!
And I also think NY is underrated! Sure there were no huge landmarks, but I enjoy free roaming there.

PD Rome is my least favorite city, tied with boston....

pirate1802
03-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Venice
Constantinople
Frontier
Homestead
Damascus

Venice is dreamlike, and unlikely to be topped by anything we'll see. That feeling when you reach the tallest peak and look down, see those boats moving and the "Tour of Venice" track starts playing. That's the moment I realize I can play this game forever!

I-Like-Pie45
03-06-2013, 03:29 AM
Venice > Constantinople > Frontier/Homestead > New York = Rest of AC2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boston

From the games I own.

SixKeys
03-06-2013, 03:47 AM
Tuscany. Whenever I think of AC2, that's the location that first pops into my mind. I just loved the warm colors and cramped streets, not to mention the countryside.

inferno33222
03-06-2013, 03:51 AM
Wow, I'm glad to see all the replies already! Makes me excited to have joined the forums.

Also, I don't understand why everyone hates Boston so much... that's one of my favorite cities. I know that some of the roads are a little wide, and at first I was frustrated with the city, but when you look around there are enough of those rope things crossing the streets for effective roof travelling. I have recently been spending most of my time in that city.

inferno33222
03-10-2013, 05:07 AM
I'm surprised so many people are picking Venice. Though I love it, I just find Florence or Tuscany to be better. The color scheme is weird in Venice... Ezio seems so pale.

inferno33222
03-10-2013, 05:08 AM
Exactly. I absolutely love Tuscany. Used to be my favorite place.

EDIT: In response to SixKeys. I don't know what happened to the quotes...

mattduck69
03-10-2013, 06:04 AM
mine would have to go
1.Venice
2.Constantinople
3.Frontier
4.Rome
5.Florence

I really couldnt decide out of venice and constantinople, theyre both amazing looking cities and i just loved the atmosphere out of both of them. The frontier just because of the wilderness but i wish they had put more stuff into it and made it more lifely...maybe if they had a sountrack it would have made it more fun to be there instead of just standing there...listening to..nothing..
Rome because i just loved the landmarks! didnt entirely like the structure of the buildings but i just love Rome.
and lastly florence mostly because of the atmosphere and just the fact that thats where ezio was born and died...*tear*

poptartz20
03-10-2013, 08:36 AM
How funny... I couldn't get with Rome either! I remember having to run everywhere since the city was so broken up.

I enjoyed. In not particular order Constantinople it was very well done beautifully done, still Revelations was terrible for me. Ha! Then I would have to say New York/Boston, The 1700s is just one of my favorite time periods in history, so naturally I loved these. Tuscany, and Venice would be the last 2! Once again, palatial buildings everywhere much to explore and climb just amazing!

Assassin_M
03-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Can I say something ? You just cannot out Jerusalem and Damascus in one vote. Although I respect your opinion, the 2 cities have very different atmospheres..

Acre was awesome. it captured the atmosphere of war REALLY well. the scenery and graphics, it was spot on, but it got boring too fast because of the color scheme...it was too gray..

Damascus was simply arab culture coming to life. the bazaars, the souks and the merchants calling out. it had the best Middle eastern atmosphere ever..

Jerusalem felt like something holy. something angelic. the color scheme, the sights and music were so well done.

Florence is my favorite city from AC II. I loved the color scheme, but hated the music sometimes. so grand and beautiful at night. the only city in AC II that I can walk and never feel bored.

Ubisoft effed Venice up with the color scheme...nuff said...it looked so much better in pre E3 media...

Tuscany didnt really do it for me. it just felt bland.

Romagna felt like Acre, but with a better color scheme and I loved Forli and its architecture. also enjoyed roaming the narrow streets at night.

Rome, in my opinion, was the worst, most bland city I`v ever played in in AC. The countryside looked too much like Tuscany and the city itself offered nothing new..

Constantinople is my favorite city ever. the contrast in cultures is astounding and I don't know if you`ll understand this, but I can actually "smell" the city sometimes. It was very colorful, dusty and noisy. From the Athan during dawn and dusk to the the lovely soundtrack. I only wish it was more crowded in some areas..

Frontier comes nothing close to RDR ( I know there`s a huge difference in landscape) it was very beautiful, but it wasn't vivid like RDR`s frontier. Ubisoft needs to work on their lighting and environment..

Boston and New York were the most alive cities in the series. The ports were bustling with life and work, markets always crowded, dogs, cats and pigs giving the cities some spices. It was great, only missed the beautiful scenery of Constantinople (Not Ubisoft`s fault. they built an incredibly accurate city)

roostersrule2
03-10-2013, 09:04 AM
1. Constantinople- It's the most diverse city in an AC yet and is beautiful to look at.
2. Florence- Maybe it's more the moments that happened in this city more then that city itself but I've spent countless hours roaming around here listening to Home in Florence.
3. Frontier- The tree-running, animals and winter make this place just so unique.
4. Venice- The water canals, the music and the buildings make this a great city.
5. Damascus- On arrival I loved it the Blasting Music, the atmosphere and the Introduction to our first big city in AC.

AjinkyaParuleka
03-10-2013, 10:01 AM
1.Frontier-The most unique place in all AC,the tree climbing,long trees,covered with fungus,snow.Animals grazing,wolves hunting,predating,cougars hiding in the high bushes,Elks fighting for territory,it was the best.The frontier looked awesome whenever there was a rain storm or when it was enveloped in snow,the patrols finding it hard to walk,the people covering themselves from the chilly wind.Frontier,was the most AWWWWWWWWWWESOME.
2.Constantinople-Its liveliness at the port,its variaty,the beautiful skyline of Asia.The Turks and Byzantine clashing.And I almost forgot...the Arabic Architecture.
3.Carribbean Sea(yes,the sea)-The scenic beauty was awesome.The details of the Sea,the ship battles during a storm,the ship diving and jumping,with the pressure applied by Robert and the crewmen..fantastic.
4.Acre-The war like feeling,a feeling where Religion was forced,the death around,the Christian superiority.
5.Venice:-Very beautiful,I always free run at the rooftops in Venice,the fear of Jumping in the water,getting detected by guards.

I probably lost my ACI disk,that sucks.

bveUSbve
03-10-2013, 10:24 AM
I voted "Romagna", just for variety. It had a very unique flair, city and surroundings, and the music provided tons of atmosphere. By the way, anyone with a weakness for sightseeing in games (and for Jesper Kyd's soundtrack) should try riding through the "mountains" you first encounter accompanied by Leonardo leading to the chariot race.

But of course Venice is an at least as "magic" location.
Rome seems to be unpopular, but generally I liked it very much. Some vistas were spectacular! (For example the view from the place where Ezio awakes cured from his injuries.)

Boston/New York are lively and quite "nice", just for showing a totally different architecture than anything in AC before, but they get boring fast.

The frontier is fascinating, no doubt, but since there is no ambient music and not much going on there it's ultimately not comparable to the major locations of the previous games.

ajl992008
03-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I chose Constantinople but its hard because I liked every single location in assassins creed except for rome in acb and the kingdom in ac1, other than that i loved every other location in the series, Constantinople beats the rest by a little bit.

inferno33222
03-10-2013, 05:18 PM
mine would have to go
1.Venice
2.Constantinople
3.Frontier
4.Rome
5.Florence

I really couldnt decide out of venice and constantinople, theyre both amazing looking cities and i just loved the atmosphere out of both of them. The frontier just because of the wilderness but i wish they had put more stuff into it and made it more lifely...maybe if they had a sountrack it would have made it more fun to be there instead of just standing there...listening to..nothing..
Rome because i just loved the landmarks! didnt entirely like the structure of the buildings but i just love Rome.
and lastly florence mostly because of the atmosphere and just the fact that thats where ezio was born and died...*tear*

Agreed, the Frontier is a lot better with music. Want to know how I found that out? I'll let you in on a little secret... I added my own ambient music. I bought the soundtrack on iTunes and then put Connor's Life, Through the Frontier, Farewell, and some fan-made tracks I found on YouTube onto my Xbox, and I just play them with the media player. It's really, really awesome. Lorne Balfe did a fantastic job. Connor's Life is an incredible track.

SixKeys
03-10-2013, 05:21 PM
I voted "Romagna", just for variety. It had a very unique flair, city and surroundings, and the music provided tons of atmosphere. By the way, anyone with a weakness for sightseeing in games (and for Jesper Kyd's soundtrack) should try riding through the "mountains" you first encounter accompanied by Leonardo leading to the chariot race.

The mountains are amazing. It's sad that there's nothing to do there after finishing the carriage mission except for some treasure chests, but it's a great place for getting epic screenshots while riding on your horse.

Soulid_Snake
03-10-2013, 05:23 PM
I can't vote, I'm torn between Florence and Venice, the most beautiful and well designed cities, from any game, let alone Assassins Creed series!

inferno33222
03-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Can I say something ? You just cannot out Jerusalem and Damascus in one vote. Although I respect your opinion, the 2 cities have very different atmospheres..

Acre was awesome. it captured the atmosphere of war REALLY well. the scenery and graphics, it was spot on, but it got boring too fast because of the color scheme...it was too gray..

Damascus was simply arab culture coming to life. the bazaars, the souks and the merchants calling out. it had the best Middle eastern atmosphere ever..

Jerusalem felt like something holy. something angelic. the color scheme, the sights and music were so well done.

I know, I wish I could split them up and have each city have its own vote, but unfortunately polls are limited to 10 options. I thought that it was better to combine those two than to combine, say, Jerusalem and Acre. Those are just way too different. I did the best with what I had..

The mountains are amazing. It's sad that there's nothing to do there after finishing the carriage mission except for some treasure chests, but it's a great place for getting epic screenshots while riding on your horse.

I agree, the mountains were really beautiful. I wish they fleshed out that town at the end, then I might have been able to enjoy it more, and I probably would have gone back to it more. (I went back when I discovered that there were treasure chests there).

DisbandedBox359
03-10-2013, 06:43 PM
id say
1. Frontier
2.Constantinople
3.Venice
4.Rome
5.Tuscanny

stingray10
03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Constantinople
Damascus
Jerusalem
Venezia
Acre

Middle-eastern architecture in those times were heavenly.

lothario-da-be
03-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Constantinopel for me, every time i replay acr the city astonishes me again. Especialy the 1st 30 minutes.It always feel like the first time i played ac1.

Free_Hidings
03-10-2013, 11:31 PM
It's just too hard to rank them against each other, so I will just write what I liked about my favourite cities from each game.

Jerusalem: The soft, warm green colours, the incredible music, the nice architecture... It feels holy, spiritual...Easily my favourite city in Jersualem, it feels more varied and engaging than Acre and more colourful than Damascus.

Damascus: I love how this truly captured the middle eastern setting back then. Reminds me of childhood favourites like Thunderbirds and Aladdin (lol) Very cool city

Venice: The biggest thing for me is the music. Without music, Venice is a nice city, but the music gives it this incredible feel. Paired with the glowy blue water and the tall, artistic buildings, it feels like something from a dream. The most relaxing city in AC (Perhaps tied with Jerusalem)

Florence: Feels comfortable, like home. Again it has nice music, and an easy to traverse rooftop arrangement.

Rome: I love this era, and the buildings in Rome remind me of many of my favourite media experiences such as Spartacus, Gladiator, pretty much any medievil battle type movie... The Colloseum is awesome and there are some really nice buildings, Rome is a bit underrated in my opinion. Also the massive Castello in the vatican city is amazing.

Constantinople: Nice and colourful, the graphics really took a step up here from the previous games and the vibrant style and warm colours are really nice.

Boston: It doesn't have the charm and aesthetic appeal of the reniessance era buildings perhaps, but I find it really enjoyable to travel around. Helped by Connor's awesome new climbing and free running animations / moves, and the abundance of people and animals doing all sorts of things, this is actually my favourite place to run around in, perhaps tied with the Frontier. If only it had ambient music, I think it would be a clear favourite (along with the Frontier) Oh and the pass through buildings is an awesome addition!! Make running from guards that much more enjoyable.

Frontier: Amazing, love the tree running but for me the best part is the cliff climbing, like when Connor first leaves his home and travels to Achilles, the rock climbing stuff is incredible, not to mention the wildlife, pushing guards off cliffs or hanging them from trees etc... Again the only thing it needs is music, and perhaps a bit more random events or guards to interact with. Honourary mention to Homestead, it's pretty similar but has some cool quirks of its own, and once it's all built up it's really nice.

mattduck69
03-11-2013, 03:11 AM
Agreed, the Frontier is a lot better with music. Want to know how I found that out? I'll let you in on a little secret... I added my own ambient music. I bought the soundtrack on iTunes and then put Connor's Life, Through the Frontier, Farewell, and some fan-made tracks I found on YouTube onto my Xbox, and I just play them with the media player. It's really, really awesome. Lorne Balfe did a fantastic job. Connor's Life is an incredible track.
I..I have to try that! thank you!

inferno33222
03-16-2013, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=Free_Hidings;8969465]It's just too hard to rank them against each other, so I will just write what I liked about my favourite cities from each game.

Jerusalem: The soft, warm green colours, the incredible music, the nice architecture... It feels holy, spiritual...Easily my favourite city in Jersualem, it feels more varied and engaging than Acre and more colourful than Damascus.

Rome: I love this era, and the buildings in Rome remind me of many of my favourite media experiences such as Spartacus, Gladiator, pretty much any medievil battle type movie... The Colloseum is awesome and there are some really nice buildings, Rome is a bit underrated in my opinion. Also the massive Castello in the vatican city is amazing./QUOTE]

I feel like Jerusalem is less colorful than Damascus... more gray.

And I love climbing the Castello. Fantastic.

SleezeRocker
03-16-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm surprised so many people are picking Venice. Though I love it, I just find Florence or Tuscany to be better. The color scheme is weird in Venice... Ezio seems so pale.

Someone who understands! lol
I picked florence sinceI liked the Warm colors and the general setting. Venice is nice but something feels odd for me like it felt like a mix of gray colors with good scenery idk how to describe.
But I think most people can fairly say Forli was heck lol

As for top 5 areas:
Florence
Tuscany (Loved the countryside and also always puts me in the mood to go to olive Garden XD)
Damascus ( I think, is that the bright sunny city in AC1?)
Constantinople
Frontier

monster_rambo
03-16-2013, 11:01 PM
I'm actually surprised Constantinople was the most popular city! Here are my top favorite cities.

1) Venice
2) Constantinople
3) Florence
4) Tuscany
5) Damascus
6) Jerusalem

^Oh snap, forgot to put why...

-Venice (best city music and freerunning playground and is just too beautiful)
-Constantinople (originally I didn't like this city because I though ACR was subpar compare to the rest of AC games but looking back, it was quite a pleasant city, vibrant colorful colors, wonderful soundtrack, middle eastern/european mix, crowded cosmopolitan area)
-Florence (I felt the colors are quite warm, architecture especially the duomo was quite nice, good place to freerun)
-Tuscany (kind of down on this list, could have had more things to do in countryside, memorable climbing assassination)
-Damascus (the fat rich man's house, and it felt middle eastern)
-Jerusalem (fell in love with it after watching E3

Honorable mentions:
--Kingdom (and yes, I actually did like the kingdom even though there is really nothing to do, there are ruins and flag hunting and knight templars but I guess the reason I like it is because I want to explore and travel between the cities, never actually used fast travel)
--Acre (pretty grim place, it had a nice setting tho, and a pretty tall church)
--Rome (Didn't actually think it was a bad city, but kind of copy and paste from ACII cities but there is some nice architecture

Don't really like:
--Frontier (if it had something really interesting to do, and some memorable architecture, then it would have made it to do the list, but it feels empty alot of areas unexplored)
--Romagna
--Boston/New York

kesh_362
03-16-2013, 11:49 PM
1 - Venice
2- Frontier
3 - Acre
4 - Florence
5 - Constantinople
6 - Jerusalem
7 - Boston
8 - Damascus
9 - Rome
10 - Tuscany
11 - Romagna
12 - New York

I enjoyed free running through Venice the most it was the most beautiful city in any AC game imo. The frontier is second followed by Acre and then Constantinople. I wish the frontier had some more life too it like coming across other native tribes and a few more side missions. Boston was great, it was accurate and I had no problem free running. I hated the color scheme and dust clouds in New York.

Megas_Doux
03-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Loved:

Constantinople!
Venice/The Frontier
Acre
Damascus
NY, mostly during a rainstorm at night...

My very least favorite? Rome

NvmberFiveUA
03-17-2013, 07:18 AM
It's not locations for me, it's the characters. I chose Boston/New York because I liked Haytham Kenway in AC3 so much I went out and bought Forsaken just to learn more about the character and I wasn't disappointed.

ace3001
03-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Easily Constantinople. It was simply beautiful. Both Florence and Venice follow close, though.

serialkeyler
03-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Venice
Florence
Acre
The Frontier
Boston/New York

DomdudeDaGreat
03-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Constantinople definatly. It was so beautiful and the contrasts where amazing, from that huge poor district to the hagia sofia. The city had the best landmarks and the grand bazaar was just so cool. Climbing to the top of the Glata tower for the first time was amazing.

I think Venice is not far behind though, due to its uniqueness and the canals and stuff. Tuscany was far to bland, though the towers where pretty cool I guess. Rome was very boring especially outside the city, the Vatican district had nothing to offer apart from free-runing and the only good thing about it was the castle and the colloseum.

Boston and New York are very lively and feel mor like cities, but they lack the scenery and landmarks of the past locations.

Damascus and Jerusaleum where alright as well but they where relatively copy and paste, and Acre was very dull away from the cathedral.

ajl992008
03-17-2013, 07:02 PM
just a small observation.... Its quite funny that the highest voted location is Constantinople and acr is the game that a lot of people say is the worst in the series (it was my second favourite after ac3)

stingray10
03-17-2013, 08:33 PM
just a small observation.... Its quite funny that the highest voted location is Constantinople and acr is the game that a lot of people say is the worst in the series (it was my second favourite after ac3)

To be honest i play the game just to explore Constantinople. It is the best location i have ever played, it's a masterpiece.

ajl992008
03-17-2013, 09:10 PM
To be honest i play the game just to explore Constantinople. It is the best location i have ever played, it's a masterpiece.

i know what you mean, it's my favourite setting as well, it just felt so alive and the free running flowed so well, it just makes me think how is acr so hated when it's setting (which is arguably one of the most important parts of any ac game) was considered the best lol.

DomdudeDaGreat
03-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Well I found a video that pretty much sums up why Constantinople was epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SeqQOZRUog

Eternal Reward
03-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Well, Constantinople was and is a beautiful city in it's own right, but at the time it was just incredible. It HAD massive and incredible landmarks. I imagine it wasn't all that hard to nail as a city.

So, basically the reason it was so good I think was the material they had to work with.

stingray10
03-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Well I found a video that pretty much sums up why Constantinople was epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SeqQOZRUog

Wow...Combined with epic music like that, it is just amazing. What i liked about it was the difference in districts, the colour scheme, the architecture. European in Galata, Middle-Eastern elsewhere. It had so much variety, it truly does Istanbul justice. I just wish the designers made it more like ajl992008's signature, oriental and exotic. I think they westernised it a little too much. I am sure that the Constantine District would have fed in to the other districts more organically. I look at AC3 and i think of the drab, boring cities like Boston and New York, no flavour.

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g88/326288/326288_1321833520_large.jpg

DomdudeDaGreat
03-17-2013, 10:53 PM
And I look at that picture and think "****, i wish the minaret on the hagia sofia was really that tall, and why was that slum in the foreground not in the game".

ajl992008
03-17-2013, 11:04 PM
keep in mind they probably had technical restraints, its amazing how much they did already, Constantinople in acr is by far the best game world of all the games i've played in, not in terms of content but in terms of atmosphere and visuals and most importantly, i cant stress this enough...DESIGN, free running was just amazing in Constantinople compared to other games in the series, including the hook blade and zip lines it flowed really well, just love Constantinople. going to turkey in the summer and can't wait to go to Istanbul.

DomdudeDaGreat
03-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Gah im jelly now

ajl992008
03-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Gah im jelly now

haha, I will only be in instanbul for one day, i'm going to a different part of turkey but where i am there is a lot of ottomon buildings intact, didn't even know about it, I will go down to see them at some point when i'm there :)

BigTrevor94
03-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Venice, but more specifically, during the carnival in ACII, best place by far imo

stingray10
03-17-2013, 11:39 PM
haha, I will only be in instanbul for one day, i'm going to a different part of turkey but where i am there is a lot of ottomon buildings intact, didn't even know about it, I will go down to see them at some point when i'm there :)

Make sure you jump From the Galata Tower! Trust me, everything will be fine ;)

ajl992008
03-18-2013, 12:52 AM
Make sure you jump From the Galata Tower! Trust me, everything will be fine ;)

ahahaha yep I plan to.....but ill bring a parachute just in case

bveUSbve
03-18-2013, 08:54 AM
(...), including the hook blade and zip lines it flowed really well, just love Constantinople.
The hook blade was just a little over-the-top. The zip lines though - they were stupid in concept, and the physically totally unbelievable way the poles were (not) "integrated" into the roof structures didn't help ...

ajl992008
03-18-2013, 05:06 PM
The hook blade was just a little over-the-top. The zip lines though - they were stupid in concept, and the physically totally unbelievable way the poles were (not) "integrated" into the roof structures didn't help ...

facepalm.....this is such a bad argument to hate the hook blade..... ziplines were not in the ground....does that really matter? hook blade was over the top? expand? i think its pretty realistic, it is an extension of your hand so would result in quicker climbing logically. this ladies and gentlemen is an example of knit picking rather than a constructive argument......

RinoTheBouncer
03-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Constantinople

Or let's say Constantinople, Venice and Florence. Monteriggioni and The Frontier are also nice.

bveUSbve
03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
facepalm.....this is such a bad argument to hate the hook blade..... ziplines were not in the ground....does that really matter? hook blade was over the top? expand? i think its pretty realistic, it is an extension of your hand so would result in quicker climbing logically. this ladies and gentlemen is an example of knit picking rather than a constructive argument......
I guess you consider your own post constructive then? Interesting.
There is no need to take my post personally. It wasn't meant to attack you in any way.

I'm really surprised that so many people vote Constantinople their favorite location. I always regarded it as lackluster (compared with ACII's locations and Rome). But now I realize, the city itself wasn't so bad. My contempt for 'Revelations' the game may have clouded my judgement.

However, the zip-lines to me really were detrimental. They didn't make any sense in the setting, and they weren't of use most of the time. So why mutilate the nice scenery with those physically impossible (;)) constructs? Give me parachutes over zip-lines any day! Although parachutes obviously are also over-the-top in the time period - but they at least improved the gameplay significantly.

The hook-blade on the other hand was (just) a little over-the-top, and ultimately unneeded - but I was okay with it. (That's why I wrote "a little", you see?)
But ok, it may really have been a bit nitpicky to mention it at all in the given context.

ajl992008
03-18-2013, 07:51 PM
I guess you consider your own post constructive then? Interesting.
There is no need to take my post personally. It wasn't meant to attack you in any way.

I'm really surprised that so many people vote Constantinople their favorite location. I always regarded it as lackluster (compared with ACII's locations and Rome). But now I realize, the city itself wasn't so bad. My contempt for 'Revelations' the game may have clouded my judgement.

However, the zip-lines to me really were detrimental. They didn't make any sense in the setting, and they weren't of use most of the time. So why mutilate the nice scenery with those physically impossible (;)) constructs? Give me parachutes over zip-lines any day! Although parachutes obviously are also over-the-top in the time period - but they at least improved the gameplay significantly.

The hook-blade on the other hand was (just) a little over-the-top, and ultimately unneeded - but I was okay with it. (That's why I wrote "a little", you see?)
But ok, it may really have been a bit nitpicky to mention it at all in the given context.

ok ok lets just agree that it is down to opinions, I will admit my posts were all opinions and so where yours so lets just leave it there.

shobhit7777777
03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Constantinople

It is a beautiful, exotic and lively city...everything I want from an urban area from AC

Gil_217
03-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Venezia, Roma, Constantinople and Firenze during the Bonfire of the Vanities.

My favorite is Venezia, of course. It's just beautiful, everything about it is amazing, incredible atmosphere, it is full of life, it has that special feeling, it just makes me feel so good whenever I'm there. And the fact that the climax of the game took place during Ezio's time in the city certainly helped. Nothing beats it.

A special word to Firenze during the BotV. The dark and sad atmosphere that characterized Firenze during that time was just amazing and perfectly done, completely different from the Florence we knew.

luckyto
03-18-2013, 09:29 PM
I gave my vote to Damascus/Jerusalem... but really, Constantinople is the best designed city. Far and away the best. It's just the gameplay around it isn't nearly as fun.

ajl992008
03-18-2013, 09:39 PM
since its the team behind revelations working on ac4 I am confident we will get a greatly designed set of cities, or at least I hope.

Rugterwyper32
03-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Rome was my personal favorite, mainly because of the variety within it and the overall scale. I had much fun messing around all the landmarks, and it was my first game that I played without the HUD on a replay, which I followed up with AC1 and the rest followed. I found a lot of fun in the smaller areas in the countryside, and the central district was pretty fun.

Constantinople, Acre, Venice and the Frontier follow.
As for why I feel like that about each:

Constantinople: Colorful, easy to navigate, and overall beautiful. I enjoy roaming around it very much. The atmosphere was caught perfectly. I just don't think it is filled with as many memorable landmarks as Brotherhood, and I found navigating through it without HUD slightly annoying in comparison, as I could mostly guide myself around the Galata District and Imperial District, but the other two didn't have much that I found instantly memorable. Still amazing, though

Acre: I love the dark, dreary atmosphere of the place. Considering the year the game takes place in, it catches the feeling of a recently captured city. It also had the best targets of the game, and it had some of the best viewpoints of the series by far. The invented Gothic cathedral shoved right in the middle of it weirded me out, but it's a great addition. The main problem I have with this city? LACK OF SWIMMING IN AC1 AND THE DOCKS. Man that drove me insane.

Venice: Beautiful, with some amazing music, some really fun navigation and some of the best looking scenery in the game. Overall, it's a pretty good location, but the lighting feels weird at points, and there are points where the canals interfere with the navigation, even though it's overall really enjoyable.

The Frontier: Really expansive, with some great variety and some of the best moments of the series. The forts in here were some of the best sections of the game, and treerunning was incredibly fun. It caught the feeling of the wilderness perfectly. My issues? Horse controls in the area, for one. Sometimes dealing with animals got annoying. The fact there weren't more forts. And the fact some areas felt underused. Packanack is the one section of the hunting map I rarely ever touched, for example.

Bloodfist84
03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Acre because of that begger women WHO'S BEEN STUCK IN MY HEAD FOR 4 YRS
"im poor sir i need da money (when walk away) NO SIR YOU DONT UNDERSTAND (now with heavy english time-period accent) IM POOR AND SICK AND HUNGRY

roostersrule2
03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
"im poor sir i need da money (when walk away) NO SIR YOU DONT UNDERSTAND (now with heavy english time-period accent) IM POOR AND SICK AND HUNGRYOh god don't remind me.

pirate1802
03-19-2013, 07:26 PM
"im poor sir i need da money (when walk away) NO SIR YOU DONT UNDERSTAND (now with heavy english time-period accent) IM POOR AND SICK AND HUNGRY

Aw gawd.. I can still hear her :/

Jexx21
03-19-2013, 08:05 PM
If you're going to group together New York and Boston as well as Damascus and Jerusalem, I feel like you should group together Florence and Venice seeing as they have pretty much the same architecture barring the canals.

ajl992008
03-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Aw gawd.. I can still hear her :/

remember this too well, don't know if anyone realised this but in the opening of ac3 in the theater after you assassinate your target and leave you could hear the same voice actor, i was just thinking in my head, " dear god I please tell me the beggar doesn't return in this game!" most annoying thing of ac1 lol.

BigTrevor94
03-21-2013, 04:46 AM
Well as I said earlier Venice (circa Carnival) is my favorite with Damascus close 2nd I just like the layout and all that