PDA

View Full Version : Desmond's -spoiler content-

Plain_1nsane
03-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Desmond Miles, a character long-suffering from semi-sanity caused by the bleeding effect of the Animus, was bound to become a sloppy, crazy person like Clay or Daniel Cross. Lore says that too much Animus exposure causes insanity and for the user to forget who they are as an individual, and Des clocked countless straight hours in 4 different ancestors minds. So I think that killing him at the stage that they did was completely justified as a way to glorify our biggest hero, but what we don't see is the horror he saved himself from by sacrificing himself. ACII had Desmond frequently scared for his own mental health, and Brotherhood shocked him into a coma, then Revelations claimed to save him from all of that. But with the episode he experienced in the beginning of ACIII it was obvious that Animus Island didn't cure him completely. What Assassin's Creed 3 needed, in order to make us okay with him going for good, were more break downs. I think a more broken and desperate Desmond would have shown just how bad it could have been to keep him going as a character.

Personally I see Desmond as an incredibly strong-willed character and that he saved the world as is because that's the Assassin thing to do, rather than take control and influence the will of people. As Ezio said "do not follow me, or anyone else". The way things went, if you think about it without an emotional bearing toward Desmond. it was a perfect ending to his legacy. He managed to give one life for the good of nearly 7 billion others' free will. But for the good of those who fell in love with him I think that there must have been a better way to foreshadow his lack of future in the story.

I'd like to know what your thoughts are on this, because it's the result of looking objectively at a lot of people's reaction to the ending, Having more people's input can only help.

YazX_
03-08-2013, 07:22 PM
as i said earlier, Desmond is boring character and he is just a tool nothing more or less, if ppl were looking forward to play with him as main character, this never and wasnt intended to happen because the game is about Assassins' Ancestors not about current time assassins. he played his part very good and i'm really happy that he is gone for good now as AC4 confirmed it.

its time to move on and enough of him like it was time to move on with Ezio although he is the most awesome character in this series.

Plain_1nsane
03-08-2013, 09:10 PM
So basically you hate the franchise and you want a set of randomly assorted historically inaccurate games?

YazX_
03-09-2013, 01:17 AM
So basically you hate the franchise and you want a set of randomly assorted historically inaccurate games?

so now Hating desmond means hating the franchise?!

And what historically inaccurate games have to do with Desmond?!?! History comes when playing with ancestors not with desomd oO

Plain_1nsane
03-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Well the main protagonist is effectively the most part of the franchise
and without the animus to explain everything that's wrong in the animus, all it is is a historically inaccurate video game where you kill people.

These are basic principles.

YazX_
03-10-2013, 02:38 PM
and without the animus to explain everything that's wrong in the animus, all it is is a historically inaccurate video game where you kill people.

These are basic principles.

what are you saying doesnt make any sense, Animus is there and its not gone, you are assuming that animus is dead with desmond, if there is Desmond, there are many like Desmond who can jump into the Animus and continue the story, as an example Subject 16. we didnt play with him, all what we know that he was trapped in the animus and then dead to save desmond. so why not having Subject 18 for an example!?

consider Desmond is Subject 17 and he is dead, i dont see anything wrong in that and your arguments dont make any sense.

Plain_1nsane
03-11-2013, 08:49 AM
You can come back and debate this when you're willing to capitalise sentences, you ***.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
03-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Plain_1nsane, no need for a reply like that, please be aware others may have a different opinion to you.

ScorpiusSpecOps
03-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Why is everyone so sure Desmond is dead? He had the apple in his backpack and the Shield Ring on his finger. Perhaps the blast from the machine only injured him or knocked him unconscious. Plus Minerva said Juno still dwelled within the bunker. Perhaps in stasis somewhere and by activating the machine, Desmond set her free and woke her up. Maybe she'll res him as a thank you for choosing to carry out her wishes. This is sci fi we're talking about after all ;)

YazX_
03-12-2013, 11:37 AM
You can come back and debate this when you're willing to capitalise sentences, you ***.

LOL, so when you find nothing to reply with, you come back and start insulting, typical low level kid.

Why is everyone so sure Desmond is dead? He had the apple in his backpack and the Shield Ring on his finger. Perhaps the blast from the machine only injured him or knocked him unconscious. Plus Minerva said Juno still dwelled within the bunker. Perhaps in stasis somewhere and by activating the machine, Desmond set her free and woke her up. Maybe she'll res him as a thank you for choosing to carry out her wishes. This is sci fi we're talking about after all ;)

Well its confirmed by AC4 Creative Designer, he said that Desmond is gone and in AC4 you will be playing as Abstergo Employee. but does this mean that Desmond is dead?! noone knows except Ubisoft themselves.

AjinkyaParuleka
03-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Who said Desmond ain't gonna appear in ACIV BF,sure he's dead,but can come as a physical body of Juno.Who knows.But seriously,if they don't give a face and a name and a story to that Abstergo Employee,ACs done for me.
I like Desmond.

Plain_1nsane
03-13-2013, 08:43 AM
I started a thread asking about different ways to approach desmond and got desmond hate as a response.
I don't think calling someone a donkey for that is unreasonable.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/71f82140b06804e114f983adbb163854/tumblr_mjhj4t8lH51qecbqfo1_500.jpg
And I think someone as obsessed as me should be forgiven for getting frustrated

Plain_1nsane
03-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Who said Desmond ain't gonna appear in ACIV BF,sure he's dead,but can come as a physical body of Juno.Who knows.But seriously,if they don't give a face and a name and a story to that Abstergo Employee,ACs done for me.
I like Desmond.

ABSOLUTELY!!!
The one thing that separates multiplayer from single player is the immersion of being someone else, and character customisation and too much input as an Abstergo employee would take away from the modern game completely.
People who go into games to play as themselves must have some amazing self esteem or something

pirate1802
03-13-2013, 08:57 AM

Not in this case. When was the last time we saw the "main protagonist" on the cover of any game, or played as him for more than a couple of hours max in any game? Desmond may have been the main protagonist on paper, but really, Ezio, Altair, Connor and now even Edward are receiving more attention than him.

When I imagine AC I imagine Ezio freerunning on Venice rooftops, not some dude strapped to a chair, or walking into a facility with just a knife to fight armed guards.

What makes you think there is no Animus anymore? Any random dude can use the Animus AFAIK. Desmond's death didn't magically wipe all of them out of existence. Though I'd welcome an AC game set purely in the past without all this modern day Animus BS.

Oh and hating on Desmond has nothing to do with hating the franchise. We all love the games for different reasons. I love AC and I play it for the historical part, and wish the modern day parts are kept to the minimum and/or made optional, including any new character. Good call whoever took that decision for AC IV.

Plain_1nsane
03-15-2013, 06:01 AM
When I imagine AC I imagine Ezio freerunning on Venice rooftops, not some dude strapped to a chair, or walking into a facility with just a knife to fight armed guards.

You what?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121008131809/assassinscreed/images/c/cc/Apple_of_Eden.png

pirate1802
03-15-2013, 08:09 AM
You what?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121008131809/assassinscreed/images/c/cc/Apple_of_Eden.png

He didn't use it during the infiltration. Only while getting out.

Plain_1nsane
03-15-2013, 12:59 PM
that? waht? what is the l;godsfions behind that i dont even where are you dromf is english first languaeg? dog mand

Syr.Jake
03-20-2013, 02:56 AM
Desmond was a tool. Something to be used as a means to an end. Nothing more, nothing less. He was a bit player in the grand scheme of things. Forced into his role by others. Both Templar and Assassin. Do I care if he is "gone" (dead, absorbed, assimilated)? No.

Did he "fit" with the theme of using a descendant to find out about the past, sure. But honestly, I couldn't stand him, and I am glad he is gone.

pirate1802
03-20-2013, 05:37 AM
that? waht? what is the l;godsfions behind that i dont even where are you dromf is english first languaeg? dog mand

No English is not my first language, but I can use it well enough. Don't know why that is even important here. You have a problem understanding my reply because you have a problem hearing anything anti-Desmond. Keep up the good work!