PDA

View Full Version : Desmond and Black Flag (Spoilers)

adifazio27
03-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Well, to start this out, I'm going to just first off point out that right now, I'm utterly confused. I've been a fan (and honestly, probably a super nerd) of this series since AC1 came out, and have finished and followed each game and story since day one, even through all of the crazy twists and turns. I've loved every second of each game, love following the story, and have found enjoyment in everything about this series. I just finished playing Assassins Creed III tonight, and now I'm just left with this question: Now what?

Maybe I'm missing some details that have been announced, but I'm extremely confused. Desmond is dead. The group (William Miles, Shawn, Rebecca) is seemingly scattered. The temple has saved the world and now Juno is left and roaming free, but how will any of this connect with the newest game? Black Flag is set in 1715, so now we're going back in time? Who is Edward Kenway other than a pirate trained by assassins? Are we just abandoning the entire story of Desmond, Juno, Minerva, etc all together?

I guess I just don't see how any of this connects, and maybe none of us will know until the game is released. I would just hate to see all this time and thought going into the Desmond story line to be thrown away in the blink of an eye, especially when it leaves you with so much left to think about. Hopefully I'm just missing something. Anyone care to explain or give your thoughts?

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 04:47 AM
Modern day will be first-person and you are going to be playing as a Templar agent.

Layytez
03-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Modern day will be first-person and you are going to be playing as a Templar agent.

If this is true then i'm going to pirate the game.

adifazio27
03-05-2013, 04:51 AM

So does that leave us with no modern day protagonist really? We're just a no name Templar agent and nothing else? That worries me a bit honestly.

rupok2
03-05-2013, 04:52 AM
If this is true then i'm going to pirate the game.

Just don't do it on PC man.

hoodrat94
03-05-2013, 04:52 AM
The main director of the game Ashraf Ismail, said that the main character is the player(YOU!). You are hired by abstergo, and they go into your memory. I don't know how that will work out. And if they totally remove the present day section, i am completely okay with that. Here is an interview with the director:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmbffZp_8Lg

Layytez
03-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Just don't do it on PC man.

Nah I have respect for the PC community.

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 04:57 AM
So does that leave us with no modern day protagonist really? We're just a no name Templar agent and nothing else? That worries me a bit honestly.
I still have a feeling we'll be Otso Berg, the multiplayer guy. And one of the previews mentioned Abstergo compound so I'm guessing we can roam around a bit, maybe do some other stuff? I just doubt we'll be killing people.

adifazio27
03-05-2013, 04:57 AM
The main director of the game Ashraf Ismail, said that the main character is the player(YOU!). You are hired by abstergo, and they go into your memory. I don't know how that will work out. And if they totally remove the present day section, i am completely okay with that. Here is an interview with the director:

Well that's interesting, but it still concerns me that it will be straying away from the first storyline that these games were built around, and is still unfinished.

Layytez
03-05-2013, 04:58 AM
I don't want Juno to turn into another S16.

LoyalACFan
03-05-2013, 04:58 AM
It's possible that they'll make it first-person, but ultimately reveal who the character you're playing as is. Just like in the Revelations MP; the character is "you", but eventually they revealed that the Templar agent promoted to the Inner Sanctum at the end of Level 50 was Juhani Otso Berg.

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 04:59 AM
Well that's interesting, but it still concerns me that it will be straying away from the first storyline that these games were built around, and is still unfinished.
They already did that with Subject 16's story.

rupok2
03-05-2013, 05:02 AM
It's possible that they'll make it first-person, but ultimately reveal who the character you're playing as is. Just like in the Revelations MP; the character is "you", but eventually they revealed that the Templar agent promoted to the Inner Sanctum at the end of Level 50 was Juhani Otso Berg.

Possibly or he turns out to be Erudito and finally comes in contact with the Assassins?

adifazio27
03-05-2013, 05:02 AM
They already did that with Subject 16's story.

How so?

adifazio27
03-05-2013, 05:03 AM
Possibly or he turns out to be Erudito and finally comes in contact with the Assassins?

That would be pretty sweet

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 05:03 AM
How so?
The truth video, "The sun, your son." "Find eve."

Layytez
03-05-2013, 05:04 AM
How so?

Created a interesting part of the story and ditched it and just said "oh he was crazy blah blah blah" just to justify them not building upon it.

hoodrat94
03-05-2013, 05:08 AM

Ask yourself one question, how did you feel when they pulled you out of animus in AC2? Felt like sh*t! So i think they realized that!

adifazio27
03-05-2013, 05:09 AM
Created a interesting part of the story and ditched it and just said "oh he was crazy blah blah blah" just to justify them not building upon it.

That's true. I also totally forgot about the "Find Eve" thing they had going.

Layytez
03-05-2013, 05:12 AM

They could give Juno similar treatment. They could give Juno control and not have anyone fight against her (because it's hopeless) and just keep the Templar Vs Assassins thing going when it should be Assassins + Templars Vs Juno.

LoyalACFan
03-05-2013, 05:12 AM

Apparently, so did Ubi...

adifazio27
03-05-2013, 05:22 AM
They could give Juno similar treatment. They could give Juno control and not have anyone fight against her (because it's hopeless) and just keep the Templar Vs Assassins thing going when it should be Assassins + Templars Vs Juno.

I'll be honest, I think it would be silly to unite the Templars and Assassins. The hate has been far too built up at this point for this to happen.

Eternal Reward
03-05-2013, 05:27 AM
I'll be honest, I think it would be silly to unite the Templars and Assassins. The hate has been far too built up at this point for this to happen.

Which would make the reluctant alliance that much more awesome.

Layytez
03-05-2013, 05:28 AM

Not exactly hate. Just the same goal with conflicting methods. The Templars would rather be in control than be controlled.If push came to shove they will side with the Assassins but yet again for the same goal but with different methods. Juno has no goal, she just hates humans and wants to enslave us.

adifazio27
03-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Not exactly hate. Just the same goal with conflicting methods. The Templars would rather be in control than be controlled.If push came to shove they will side with the Assassins but yet again for the same goal but with different methods. Juno has no goal, she just hates humans and wants to enslave us.

Yeah. I really do hope this next game takes on a war against Juno. Desmond hinted towards it at the end of 3, so that could be a possibility.

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 05:36 AM
All in all, modern day is taking an even further back seat than it already did and I don't really have a problem with it. Better to have little or none than half-assed attempt that makes it even harder for them to tell the story and they have to introduce other useless stuff.

adifazio27
03-05-2013, 05:39 AM
All in all, modern day is taking an even further back seat than it already did and I don't really have a problem with it. Better to have little or none than half-assed attempt that makes it even harder for them to tell the story and they have to introduce other useless stuff.

I would agree with that. As long as they keep up the story they started, I'm okay with how they do it.

xx-pyro
03-05-2013, 06:05 AM
I thought eve was mentioned in Liberations. Doubt they gave up on that lol.

LoyalACFan
03-05-2013, 06:09 AM
I thought eve was mentioned in Liberations. Doubt they gave up on that lol.

They sure as hell sidelined it though. That was supposed to be Desmond's primary objective; finding Eve. Not to mention the whole "your son" business. And now he's dead, along with every single character from the first game...

God, I wish they'd just give up on the modern stuff, it's always so inconclusive and frustrating. Seems like they always answer about 1/4 of the questions posed by the previous game, and add about a dozen more, with no conclusion in sight.

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 06:11 AM
And now he's dead, along with every single character from the first game....
Who else died? 0_o and where did you hear that

adifazio27
03-05-2013, 06:12 AM

Lucy, Vidic, Desmond. Pretty much all of the main characters.

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 06:13 AM
Lucy, Vidic, Desmond. Pretty much all of the main characters.
I thought you meant Shaun, Rebecca and Daddy Miles.

adifazio27
03-05-2013, 06:15 AM
I thought you meant Shaun, Rebecca and Daddy Miles.

Ohh. Well, heck, they might even be dead. Does anyone actually know what happened to any of them?

LoyalACFan
03-05-2013, 06:15 AM

Desmond, Lucy, Vidic, Subject 16, the entire historical cast (although I guess they were technically long dead before we even started). Shaun and Rebecca didn't show up until AC2, and Bill didn't until ACR. Everyone from AC1 is gone, and I still don't feel like we ever got a satisfying ending for any of the 2012 plot elements introduced in the first game, except maybe 16's fall to insanity.

souNdwAve89
03-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Ohh. Well, heck, they might even be dead. Does anyone actually know what happened to any of them?

Not that I know of, which sucks... The world was saved for the time being, but Abstergo is probably still stronger than the Assassins. I will not be surprised if some of them did die since AC4's modern day takes place in 2013, which is about a year later.

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 06:28 AM
That actually gave me an idea.

http://i.imgur.com/tppohsn.png

LoyalACFan
03-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Not that I know of, which sucks... The world was saved for the time being, but Abstergo is probably still stronger than the Assassins. I will not be surprised if some of them did die since AC4's modern day takes place in 2013, which is about a year later.

Lol, it could be just a few days later. AC3 ended on Dec 21, 2012. We don't know that it's been a full year yet, hell, it could pick up on January 1st.

souNdwAve89
03-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Lol, it could be just a few days later. AC3 ended on Dec 21, 2012. We don't know that it's been a full year yet, hell, it could pick up on January 1st.

Guesdon said that the game's modern day merged with reality. Meaning that the day it releases is the same day as ours. When the game is released on October 30th, it is October 30th in the game.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a462890/assassins-creed-4-preview-first-details-of-pirate-themed-sequel.html

Now it's the perfect chance for us as Desmond's story comes to a natural conclusion, the real world and the Assassin's Creed world are now merged so we're not in real time.

We're all in the Assassin's Creed universe right now. Assassin's Creed is real, is the way we like to look at it. So why not give the consumer, the player, the gamer the chance to be part of the Assassin's Creed universe themselves?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt66Mnl5_4U

@ 4:27

Legendz54
03-05-2013, 06:47 AM

I never heard them say its going to be first person.... I think it could be otso berg.

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 06:49 AM
I never heard them say its going to be first person.... I think it could be otso berg.
I don't see any other meaning of "YOU" are playing. And the first-person thing was mentioned in one of the other threads.

rupok2
03-05-2013, 06:55 AM
They never said it was first person, I think one of the reporters asked about it and the guy from Ubi said "thats an interesting idea". So the reporter may have screwed it up for all of us with that comment by giving them ideas Lol..

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 06:59 AM
They never said it was first person, I think one of the reporters asked about it and the guy from Ubi said "thats an interesting idea". So the reporter may have screwed it up for all of us with that comment by giving them ideas Lol..
Or he was hinting... "YOU" are playing, keep that in mind.....or maybe I'm overthinking.

rupok2
03-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Or he was hinting... "YOU" are playing, keep that in mind.....or maybe I'm overthinking.

Maybe we will be allowed to customize our character like sims lol.

RinoTheBouncer
03-05-2013, 07:02 AM
I'm worried as hell.

rupok2
03-05-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm worried as hell.

Well as people pointed out before in mp you turned started of as a no name but then they revealed you as a character so they might do that.

Legendz54
03-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Just give us a new character, No need for first person crap. glad its unconfirmed.

rupok2
03-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Just give us a new character, No need for first person crap. glad its unconfirmed.

Unfortunately it is confirmed that the player is playing as himself as a technician and employee of Abstergo.

Legendz54
03-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Unfortunately it is confirmed that the player is playing as himself as a technician and employee of Abstergo.

but if he is in third person that is a start.

Rogue Agent 035
03-05-2013, 09:11 AM
I thought I read somewhere after ACR's failed attempt of a present day (Desmond's Journey & Lost Archieves DLC) bombed as bad as the Den Defense, that they were gonna scrap the whole premise of a first-person IP within any further AC game. Am I wrong? AC has always been a 3rd person both present an past (gameplay wise) so why make another attempt at somethin that failed in the past?

Phalaris99504
03-05-2013, 12:58 PM
I was watching a video, you can see it here.

At the 7:00 minute mark, he talks about our hero in the modern world. It's you, the player. According to what is said, the Animus technology has been upgraded, so that anyone can load DNA memories from anyone. So, even though you're not part of Desmond's ancestry, you are still loading his DNA memories, to play as Edward Kenway. Based on the timelines, I'm guessing that Edward Kenway is the father of Haytham Kenway, who was the Templar agent we meet in AC3.

I would have liked to see the timeline go forward in history. Perhaps something in the Civil War era. Perhaps a game with a twist, where you can choose to play an Assassin helping Lincoln and the Union, or choose to play a Templar, and work with the Confederacy.

Or even perhaps something where you play a British Assassin, during World War 2, and you're sent on missions to Germany, Japan, Italy, North Africa, etc... to let's say, Assassinate Rommel, or Mussolini.

Or maybe, now you have ideas for AC5 & AC6. lol

Phalaris.

Layytez
03-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Still waiting on going back to Adam and Eve. If nothing in AC4 is relevant to Juno then I bet that's what they will save another AC for. Probably go back to Adam and Eve when they decide to actually deal with the Juno plot (unless it turns into another S16).

Benring
03-10-2013, 10:40 PM

My conclusions:
All of main characters of AC1 its dead, (Desmond is included in temple), this is the end of the fact in 2012.
A new era is come, everyone of ours is a Templar, ubi leave no choice, and Juno and the main history have to imagine.
To my this is the end of AC history.
(Sorry for my english)

HeedfulMass4856
03-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Well, to start this out, I'm going to just first off point out that right now, I'm utterly confused. I've been a fan (and honestly, probably a super nerd) of this series since AC1 came out, and have finished and followed each game and story since day one, even through all of the crazy twists and turns. I've loved every second of each game, love following the story, and have found enjoyment in everything about this series. I just finished playing Assassins Creed III tonight, and now I'm just left with this question: Now what?

Maybe I'm missing some details that have been announced, but I'm extremely confused. Desmond is dead. The group (William Miles, Shawn, Rebecca) is seemingly scattered. The temple has saved the world and now Juno is left and roaming free, but how will any of this connect with the newest game? Black Flag is set in 1715, so now we're going back in time? Who is Edward Kenway other than a pirate trained by assassins? Are we just abandoning the entire story of Desmond, Juno, Minerva, etc all together?

I guess I just don't see how any of this connects, and maybe none of us will know until the game is released. I would just hate to see all this time and thought going into the Desmond story line to be thrown away in the blink of an eye, especially when it leaves you with so much left to think about. Hopefully I'm just missing something. Anyone care to explain or give your thoughts?
I'm sorry to inform you of this, but the modern-day part of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is going to be ℉UCKING terrible.