PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of East India Company as Black Flag bad guys?

KJGPlay
03-05-2013, 01:00 AM
I alluded to these guys in a thread last year before AC III came out (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/661828-AC3-Possible-Templar-Reveal-Spoiler), actually mentioning they were the overarching villains from the Pirates of the Carribean original trilogy (the less said about On Stranger Tides and the misuse of the awesome Ian McShane as Blackbeard, the better).

Little did I know that Ubisoft had plans for Pirates with 'Black Flag'.

East India Company was a genuinely evil group of people that nearly conquered the world, and I could easily see them going on to become Abstergo.

Here's the Cracked article on the EIC (http://www.cracked.com/article_18931_6-supervillains-from-history-that-make-joker-look-subtle_p2.html), and a sample:

If you remember anything from American history class, you know the East India Co., often called the British East India Co. It was this organization's nefarious attempt to monopolize the tea industry in the American colonies that led to the Tea Act and the Boston Tea Party. If you don't remember history class, well, then, you know them as the bad guys in the Pirates of the Caribbean films (Note: The true story does not involve a pirate with an octopus for a face).

But that's just one tale in the larger story of an evil corporation that secretly ruled the world for over 200 years. Starting out as a small intercontinental trading venture in 1601, it eventually went on to become the world trade equivalent of Microsoft circa the 1990s. But it was the company's under-the-counter drug operation in China during the 18th and 19th centuries where its supervillainy truly showed.

One of its key trade products was opium (basically unprocessed heroin). The company monopolized the production and export of Indian opium, but when the Chinese Empire, its best customer, began to see the unfavorable side of massive, widespread heroin addiction, it made the wise choice of banning the drug. The East India Co. wasn't about to take that sh*t lying down: It hatched a plot to deliberately get the Chinese people addicted to opium so their leaders would have no choice but to repeal the ban and open up trade.

Shiver me Templars

http://i47.tinypic.com/nffcqc.jpg

Goxxi
03-05-2013, 01:55 AM
Maybe but I doubt couse EIC was more active in East India and in areas around Indian ocean while the AC4 takes place in West Indies and maybe I wrong but I don't think they were operating too much around the Caribbean area.

KJGPlay
03-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Does tie in with the Tea Act and Tea Party though, which the patriots disrupted to the chagrin of Charles Lee and the other Templars.

KJGPlay
03-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Welp, guess no one is interested.

IWGCJoeCool
03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
i'm interested, and we need a good hero, and just as much a group of good villians. i'm just hoping all the magic of AC isnt forfeited to a straight Action/Adventure model.

at some point in this Eddie Kenway story, some MUST say the words..."Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted"

and somewhere we need a story that has a born & bred Assassin, who was trained by the assassins and the main character's father...as Altai'ir was, and Ezio by an unseen proxy until late in his "training".

JC

D.I.D.
03-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Maybe but I doubt couse EIC was more active in East India and in areas around Indian ocean while the AC4 takes place in West Indies and maybe I wrong but I don't think they were operating too much around the Caribbean area.

No, they basically were the world economy. A vast proportion of the world's wealth was contained within and/or flowing through the EIC. That's why there's such a big mystery about them, because it's not totally clear why they disappeared, or where all of the money went, so people like to argue various cases about that.

KJGPlay
03-05-2013, 07:12 PM
No, they basically were the world economy. A vast proportion of the world's wealth was contained within and/or flowing through the EIC. That's why there's such a big mystery about them, because it's not totally clear why they disappeared, or where all of the money went, so people like to argue various cases about that.

Great comment. I think they disappeared in the mid to late 1800's. Abstergo was formed in the early 1900's.

Goxxi
03-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Yes they have had a monopoly on world economy but I meant more in sense that they were not present in West Indies in physical sense (although they had a influence on that part of the world)

Also EIC is carrying a roots from Venetian Black nobility and although EIC officialy doesn't exist anymore of course their influence and their money are not dissapeared , today they are known as bankers families (Rotschild , Rockefeller....etc) and Bilderberg group.

So the point is that secret society and organisations , they are maybe changing their folklore, symbols, flags , methods.....etc but their purpose was always the same.