PDA

View Full Version : SixthAxis article on Ubi Press Conference and why I'm not pumped for AC4

luckyto
03-04-2013, 11:50 PM
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/03/04/a-very-brief-look-at-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag/

This is a very detailed look at the Ubi's Press Conference announcing Black Flag, but be warned, it's a little jaded.

Let me say: I love Pirates. I love rum and fast women. I always celebrate National Talk Like A Pirate Day in September. And heck, I even love the Pirates of the Carribean movies. I've wanted a Pirate game where I can engage in sword play and epic naval battles in an open world for about as long as I can remember ...

so why am I not excited?

I saw the trailer and I got so pumped! AWESOME! And then at end, I saw the release date: October 29.

When Brotherhood came out a year later, a small group of us saw the warning sign. We oomplained about the "size" of the game, though well polished. And ACR came out, and that group of worried fans got bigger - though the map was slightly bigger, there were some unpolished mechanics, bugs and Tower Defense. And then AC3, and the number of dissatisfied fans grew even larger --- because while the game was epic in scope, there was far too much left unfinished and buggy. It was brutally apparent to most fans that a one-year turnaround is not enough. So much potential is in AC3 - a really incredible game is there - and I and many loved and appreciated many aspects of it; but even so --- it is an unfinished game.

Ubi's insists that we, the consumers, are stupid. We are forgiving, true. Very forgiving. But neither we or reviewers are stupid. You can almost tell from that article that Ubi is expecting everyone in the room to suck up their spin, but we are crossing into the zone where we've lost faith ... because you know --- SEA TURTLES! -- or being promised mechanics or having things hinted at ("being cut loose on a Revolutionary War battlefield") that never actually materialize in-game. Ubisoft, people aren't stupid. We are forgiving. If we love a franchise, we'll keep giving it a chance ---- hoping that maybe you recapture that magic --- but even that gives way to grief eventually.

I love Pirates. At face value, this game is like a dream come true. Combine the best Assassin's Creed mechanics in the beautiful open world of the Carribean with wenches, scallywag, booty and rum.

But I see that date and I know that it may be the nail in the coffin. The one where people finally give up, at least those who already haven't. And it's a shame. This is such a brilliant franchise. All it needs is a fresh face and continuously refining the same basic mechanics of combat, open world and free run from AC1 and AC2 to be a TOP purchase every other year. We don't need fancy "new" mechanics to woo us, just produce a polished game. But to do that, it needs more than a year turn around. It just does. Pushing the yearly release, while profitable in the short run, may eventually destroy the long-term potential of the series. And I would love to see it fulfill that potential again... like I did in Assassin's Creed II.

Good luck, Ubi - may the wind be in your favor -

yiddo93
03-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Great article from a great site. I regularly read their articles, they are the best independent site for gaming news etc on the net imo, in fact they are better than most paid sites.

Anymore, more OT. I hated the idea of Black *** when it was first announced. After hearing more details, I realise that it could be a good game, but it shouldn't be called ACIV. It should just be called Assassins Creed: Black ***, the IV should be reserved for a more monumental change.

twenty_glyphs
03-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Great article. Probably more jaded than the average fan, but it's exactly how I feel about the series and today's "reveal". When AC3 was first shown to the press, they had some actual gameplay that impressed a lot of the press. The first trailer was supposedly using in-game assets and wasn't just an obvious CGI render that was nothing like the actual finished product. That's a big part of what got a lot of the press and us so excited for AC3, in addition to a new setting and ancestor.

Now they're revealing AC4 with... a few screenshots and concept art, a lot of talking about how wonderful it will be, and very little to actually show. Doesn't seem to bode too well. Why not just wait another month or two until more assets are ready to show off? What do they gain by announcing the next game so early? Revelations wasn't announced until May.

I do feel good about Darby McDevitt, if only because he's shown an excellent understanding of what the longtime fans of the series are interested in knowing. Whether that helps get things into the final game or not is yet to be seen, but I feel like he "gets" the fans of the story. I'll be watching just about everything about the game, but with a skeptic's eye. If the final product is verified to be good after release and it brings back some of the atmosphere the series had before Revelations, I'll probably purchase it.

TheHumanTowel
03-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Sounds like Ubisoft. The lack of gameplay is worrying but i'm still willing to be hopeful based on what the devs have said in interviews.

Escappa
03-05-2013, 01:12 AM
It feels like everyone thinks that Ubisoft is going to give us the entire story 8 months before release...for god sake, be patiant :p Last year we didn't see any gameplay until June....and why is the writer of the articel making such a fool out of himself? Did he really think he was going to be shown any details? And just because the palm-trees and sharks looks like Far Cry 3 doesn't mean that's lazy work....that's like saying that COD rips off Battlefield just because both have guns :p

yiddo93
03-05-2013, 01:31 AM
It feels like everyone thinks that Ubisoft is going to give us the entire story 8 months before release...for god sake, be patiant :p Last year we didn't see any gameplay until June....and why is the writer of the articel making such a fool out of himself? Did he really think he was going to be shown any details? And just because the palm-trees and sharks looks like Far Cry 3 doesn't mean that's lazy work....that's like saying that COD rips off Battlefield just because both have guns :p

God ****it actually read the article. It's poor how they haven't shown any gameplay when games that are releasing at similar times at the end of the year have shown quite a bit. They know people are sceptical about this iteration, so give us a reason not to be. Show some gameplay. It's not hard.

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 01:33 AM
God ****it actually read the article. It's poor how they haven't shown any gameplay when games that are releasing at similar times at the end of the year have shown quite a bit. They know people are sceptical about this iteration, so give us a reason not to be. Show some gameplay. It's not hard.
They will at E3.

KJGPlay
03-05-2013, 01:56 AM
AC3 had been in development since AC2 came out (which as an aside, makes it more criminal to be as buggy and flawed as it was on release). When Ubisoft realised they were on to a winner with the Naval battles during AC3's development, they probably had this team working on it right away.

The titles might come out yearly, but more than 1 year goes into each game that has come out.

Murd3r Claws
03-05-2013, 02:21 AM
the entire article was great...i loled

SixKeys
03-05-2013, 02:41 AM
The kind of honesty displayed in the article is refreshing. This and the Kotaku preview seem the most reliable to me so far, as they're cautiously optimistic at best but also advising fans to take everything Ubi says at this point with a bucket of salt. Maybe Ubi are keeping gameplay under wraps because they don't want to get people over-hyped like last year. But then again, why wouldn't they, if this game is as amazing as they claim? I'm inclined to agree with the author's comment about certain similarities with Far Cry 3 being just a little too convenient, considering the production time frame. If it's true that they basically just took some elements from FC3 and built the story around those, then we could be looking at another Revelations.

UrDeviant1
03-05-2013, 02:44 AM
The kind of honesty displayed in the article is refreshing. This and the Kotaku preview seem the most reliable to me so far, as they're cautiously optimistic at best but also advising fans to take everything Ubi says at this point with a bucket of salt. Maybe Ubi are keeping gameplay under wraps because they don't want to get people over-hyped like last year. But then again, why wouldn't they, if this game is as amazing as they claim? I'm inclined to agree with the author's comment about certain similarities with Far Cry 3 being just a little too convenient, considering the production time frame. If it's true that they basically just took some elements from FC3 and built the story around those, then we could be looking at another Revelations.

Personally that's all i'v been doing this whole time. I like what i'v seen so far, but yeah...cautiously optimistic.

luckyto
03-05-2013, 04:48 PM

You nailed it, SixKeys. It's not about the lack of gameplay --- it more the general honest attitude --- "taking it with a grain of salt" --- that I found interesting. I'm not upset they are using Far Cry 3 assets, that's a good thing and from what I hear, it's a great game. It's more that there is this separation of what it promised in the hype, and what is delivered.

Also, I really don't want to see the series die. But people only give so many second chances. Hell, overall, I liked AC3 - I thought it was better than Brotherhood or Revelations. But it's impossible to argue that it isn't without serious flaws, and those flaw all center around being unfinished. I just wish they'd take their time and do it justice again the way they did with AC2.