PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Modern Day being minimized even more?

ProletariatPleb
03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
How do you feel about it? Personally I never liked the modern day story.

pirate1802
03-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Good move.

AC to me is exploring our past, not exploring a stadium as a guy in hoodie. Modern day is a baggage that should be kept to the minimum, imo.

LoyalACFan
03-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I'm fine with it too. I remember being really intrigued by the cloak-and-dagger mysteries of Subject 16 in AC1-ACB, but then after actually meeting him (which I liked, by the way) and finding out what his struggle was all about, it sort of lost its mystique. With the entire cast of the first game dead, it feels to me like the modern-day stuff has run its course.

Assassin_M
How about I hate First Person ?

UrDeviant1
How is it being minimised? gameplay or story? have they said we'll spend less time in modern times?

ProletariatPleb
Good move.

AC to me is exploring our past, not exploring a stadium as a guy in hoodie. Modern day is a baggage that should be kept to the minimum, imo.
Yeah that's how I feel, they had this new tagline saying "History is our playground."

I tried liking Desmond's story but it just doesn't appeal to me, half-assed, little to no character.

pirate1802
03-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Yeah that's how I feel, they had this new tagline saying "History is our playground."

I tried liking Desmond's story but it just doesn't appeal to me, half-assed, little to no character.

Then atleast we agree on something! This is a rare celestial event worthy of a thousand sacrifices!

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
How about I hate First Person ?

This is all we've got to go on as far as it being "minimised". It still might contain a good amount of story content.

Assassin_M
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
This is all we've got to go on as far as it being "minimised". It still might contain a good amount of story content.
But I hate first person D:

The only reason I was remotely OKAY with ACR`s first person was the style, lore and art... :/

playassassins1
03-04-2013, 01:01 PM
I don't like it so much.... The fact that it features First person bothers me.. Guess you could see it coming though, since ACR, they kinda stopped paying attention to the modern day story.

pirate1802
03-04-2013, 01:01 PM

Indeed. You can dig up a heck lot of lore in dem Abstergo Archives. Just that we'll not be assassinating anyone.

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Indeed. You can dig up a heck lot of lore in dem Abstergo Archives. Just that we'll not be assassinating anyone.

This i'm fine with.

Sushiglutton
03-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Like I said in the other thread I think it's great. Modern day was just a distraction that pulled me out of the, for me, world I wanted to play in. The modern day storyline has also gotten progressively more contrived and frankly a bit silly ("if you touch this globe you will save the world, but unleash an ancient evil that will enslave humanity. You will also die" :confused::confused::confused:).

Making it optional is perfect. I respect that some fans love it and want to dig deep into the lore. Give them the chance to do that. Perhaps do some puzzle gameplay for figuring out mystical stuff like in the Da Vinci Code (I'm making baseless assumptions here). Make it FP so it's not just a re-skin of the ancestor, but something totally unique. And let the rest of us explore beautiful, historical, worlds and play as pirates.

hellomrdarcy
03-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Honestly, I would be fine with it if it wasn't because of the ending of AC3 had a lot to do with the present day. It made sitting there me with a desire to know more. Like, there's just too many question. What'll happen with Juno? What'll she do? What'll change? What'll happen between Assassin and Templars, now? 2013?

I still want to know, and if they let us still experience that in some smart way I'm good. Considering that they've worked with the game since 2011 I'm pretty sure that they know what they're doing storywise, though.

AjinkyaParuleka
03-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Desmond's gone.Modern day story won't be great as it was.But if Ubi find some way,I am gonna buy their games for then next 100 years.

DisbandedBox359
03-04-2013, 01:50 PM
pretty disappointed by this to be honest, was at least expecting a new modern day character not just yourself in first person

Moultonborough
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
I loved the Modern Story. I want to know what happens with Juno and the Assassins. Playing as a Templar..... I'm unsure how much I will like it.

Layytez
03-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Was expecting something a little more exciting you know, since the world is about to be taken over and all.

dxsxhxcx
03-04-2013, 02:15 PM
is kinda hard to judge now since we don't know the content that will be presented for us during the modern days, but I hope they don't completely ignore what they did in AC3, I want to see the modern day story going forward and not being forgotten and ignored like S16, specialy after what they did with AC3's ending, lefting it open like that...

pacmanate
03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Seeing as lots of people didnt like the modern day parts its good on their part.

pirate1802
03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
is kinda hard to judge now since we don't know the content that will be presented for us during the modern days, but I hope they don't completely ignore what they did in AC3, I want to see the modern day story going forward and not being forgotten and ignored like S16, specialy after what they did with AC3's ending, lefting it open like that...

I think the modern day story will move forward, players will learn about how Juno's exploits are working out by sifting through the Abstergo facilities, only thing is the player himself wouldn't be able to take part in any modern-day action. The reason why Abstergo is interested in Desmond's lineage may in itself be a big point.

Eternal Reward
03-04-2013, 03:58 PM
I think the modern day story will move forward, players will learn about how Juno's exploits are working out by sifting through the Abstergo facilities, only thing is the player himself wouldn't be able to take part in any modern-day action. The reason why Abstergo is interested in Desmond's lineage may in itself be a big point.

I want to see us play an Abstergo agent. Heck, I want to see an actual one sides the insaniac Cross and the LMAO bad mall cops with Tron-suits and glowsticks.

He could be researching Edward Kenway's story, and gradually be swayed to join the Assassins. I could see Abstergo have it's people learn all they can about the Assassin's.

pirate1802
03-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I want to see us play an Abstergo agent. Heck, I want to see an actual one sides the insaniac Cross and the LMAO bad mall cops with Tron-suits and glowsticks.

He could be researching Edward Kenway's story, and gradually be swayed to join the Assassins. I could see Abstergo have it's people learn all they can about the Assassin's.

I'm actually interested in playing as a "bad guy" and wish he never switches sides. Showing the "other" side in modern day will be interesting.

shobhit7777777
03-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Absolutely ecstatic

The modern narrative was absolutely terrible.

It was and will still remain a cancerous tumor which I hope will be surgically removed from future instalments.

Megas_Doux
03-04-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm actually interested in playing as a "bad guy" and wish he never switches sides. Showing the "other" side in modern day will be interesting.

I am sure that some hints to the "next modern protagonist" will be introduced, Otto berg being highly possible...

rupok2
03-04-2013, 04:07 PM
How exactly is the modern day stuff being minimized? Pc gamer said that basically you are a technician for abstergo as hinted by the end of ac3. There is no proof its being minimized.

pirate1802
03-04-2013, 04:13 PM
How exactly is the modern day stuff being minimized? Pc gamer said that basically you are a technician for abstergo as hinted by the end of ac3. There is no proof its being minimized.

No Modern-day missions probably.

ACfan443
03-04-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm going to miss it a lot, my main reason for buying the sequels, and AC3 especially, was for the modern day story. It had the potential to be so awesome after how AC1, AC2 and ACB had built it up. But Ubisoft themselves seemed to stop caring about it afterwards. They've essentially dropped what the whole franchise was originally supposed to revolve around.

But I'm also confused, if they're going to keep the modern day plot to a minimum, then how are they going to follow up on that stupidly huge cliffhanger at the end of AC3?

rupok2
03-04-2013, 04:26 PM
No Modern-day missions probably.

Really doubt that tbh.

pirate1802
03-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Really doubt that tbh.

After playing the AC3 modern missions, I'm glad they're gone. Or at most, optional.

Em-Man
03-04-2013, 04:34 PM
VERY DISSAPOINTED
It's a big slap in the face for a AC lore fanatic like myself.

I understand that people don't like it, what I don't understand is why UBISOFT don't dare to confront the problem and try to make it more appealing instead of just killing every key character and scrapping it all together.

People don't like it because it was really never a well implemented element of the games. AC1 was almost perfect in the regard that it was closely tied to what happened with Altair. You got to get out of the animus after every mission, the general consensus at the time was "Wow, I would love to see a game dedicated to Desmond in modern time". The later games just moved away from that concept and almost made you completely forget that the modern day part of the story existed, and suddenly the general consensus was "This is distracting, I don't like it".
I always wanted the game to be 50% relevant animus memories and 50% modern-day that's closely tied together, wasn't that the original vision? That day will sadly never come.

I'm not going to buy this game because the modern day story is basically the only good thing left in these games. With that gone, I literally have no reason to buy it.

Eternal Reward
03-04-2013, 04:36 PM
VERY DISSAPOINTED

I understand that people don't like it, what I don't understand is why UBISOFT don't dare to confront the problem and try to make it more appealing instead of just killing every key character and scrapping it all together.

People don't like it because it was really never a well implemented element of the story. AC1 was almost perfect in the regard that it was closely tied to what happened with Altair. You got to get out of the animus after every mission, the general consensus at the time was "Wow, I would love to see a game dedicated to Desmond in modern time". The later games just moved away from that concept and almost made you completely forget that the modern day part of the story existed, and suddenly the general consensus was "This is distracting, I don't like it".
I always wanted the game to be 50% relevant animus memories and 50% modern-day that's closely tied together, wasn't that the original vision? That day will sadly never come.

I'm not going to buy this game because the modern day story is basically the only good thing left in these games. With that gone, I literally have no reason to buy it.

The modern story....is the draw for you?

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 04:46 PM
VERY DISSAPOINTED

People don't like it because it was really never a well implemented element of the games. AC1 was almost perfect in the regard that it was closely tied to what happened with Altair. You got to get out of the animus after every mission, the general consensus at the time was "Wow, I would love to see a game dedicated to Desmond in modern time". The later games just moved away from that concept and almost made you completely forget that the modern day part of the story existed, and suddenly the general consensus was "This is distracting, I don't like it".

It sounds like they've minimised the gameplay, not actual story content. There's still a lot to delve into with regards to the modern-day. By what the article said, it sounds like you have to seek out the lore if you so wish, while people only interested in the ancestor can rush back into the animus - and that's fine by me. I'm actually really interested to see what happens with Juno now that she's free, and to finding out more about 'Erudito'. There's no way the devs are going to skip this sort of stuff, don't worry.

rupok2
03-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Yup for me as well. Not the only one but a major one.

Em-Man
03-04-2013, 04:50 PM

Absolutely.
I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone.

I'm sorry to say this but the games are a mess with no direction or evolution. They are moving away from the original formula and vision, and they are rushing these products in glitchy states.
I'm saying this as a disappointed fan. I've supported Ubisoft to the point where I even buy merchandise and comics, without knowing that I was the cause of the problem. My money was what made the games turn out the way they did.

In the end, the modern story was the last appeal, made me buy AC3, and now they're taking it away from me.

Eternal Reward
03-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Absolutely.
I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone.

I'm sorry to say this but the games are a mess with no direction or evolution. They are moving away from the original formula and vision, and they are rushing these products in glitchy states.
I'm saying this as a disappointed fan. I've supported Ubisoft to the point where I even buy merchandise and comics, without knowing that I was the cause of the problem. My money was what made the games turn out the way they did.

In the end, the modern story was the last appeal, made me buy AC3, and now they're taking it away from me.

It's gonna be there, just not in mission form I suspect. It seems interesting TBH. I like the idea of playing a Templar.

AltairCBM
03-04-2013, 05:01 PM
The modern day used to be the draw for me, but then Revelations happened. Sigh...

ACfan443
03-04-2013, 05:11 PM
The modern day used to be the draw for me, but then Revelations happened. Sigh...

Everything about the modern day story went downhill after that. Double sigh...

AltairCBM
03-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Everything about the modern day story went downhill after that. Double sigh...

Legit sig BTW.

But yeah, you remember when Clay told us Dezzy killed Lucy and Dezzy got all sad("I didn't mean to" and all that ****) and then in AC3 Dezzy was like "I killed her to save the world! I made a sacrifice! Love me now!"

RzaRecta357
03-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Honestly. The Not recruits of the assassins and the new modern day stuff are the only things disappointing me. Besides that everything else sounds awesome. LIke, what of Eve's descendant?

Hmm, I'm betting the cliffhanger will be the templar agent we're playing as IS the descendant and he realizes he's in the wrong place by the end of the game.

AltairCBM
03-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Honestly. The Not recruits of the assassins and the new modern day stuff are the only things disappointing me. Besides that everything else sounds awesome. LIke, what of Eve's descendant?

Hmm, I'm betting the cliffhanger will be the templar agent we're playing as IS the descendant and he realizes he's in the wrong place by the end of the game.

I really want the Templar agent to get kidnapped by the Assassins like a reverse AC1. Please please Ubi make it happen.

henne-kei
03-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Despite the fact that the modern day person is "me" I still hope that s/he has a character of his own and we just can make decisions for him. Maybe we will meet Berg? That could be interesting (and some kidnapped assassins).

AltairCBM
03-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Despite the fact that the modern day person is "me" I still hope that s/he has a character of his own and we just can make decisions for him. Maybe we will meet Berg? That could be interesting (and some kidnapped assassins).

Yes please.

Bastiaen
03-04-2013, 09:14 PM
The modern story has and should always be the driving force linking all AC games together. Even in AC3:L, it was the references to Eve and Erudito that made the game seem relevant. We get great stories from the past, and I would be sad if we lost that, but we can't lose what ties all of them together.

infamous_ezio
03-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Where did they say that it would be minimized?

Turul.
03-04-2013, 09:27 PM
although desmond is incredibly underdeveloped, the modern day timeline is INCREDIBLY interesting, and completely different from anything else out there.

it creates a grand overall story arc that ties everything together, and shows how these historical events are still relevant in the modern age.

people who feel that is a determent to the franchise are fools.