PDA

View Full Version : Are We Gonna Have Present Day Missions Or Not?

RinoTheBouncer
03-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Hey Everyone,
I watched the interview and it's silly from the way he talked about present day missions. It sounds like ACIII:Liberation and I totally hate that.

I hope we'll have missions as some significant character in the game not just us.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/03/04/ac4-reveal-interview

RatonhnhakeFan
03-04-2013, 12:32 PM
It sounds like ACIII:Liberation and I totally hate that.It sure does sound like ACL scenario, but I'm not sure if it's bad really. I mean, Desmond gameplay was never truly amazing. And the whole 2012 plot because a mess after years and years of stretching it.

Assassin_M
Apparently, It`ll be like Project legacy...

first person, just roaming an Abstergo facility uncovering secrets and whatnot

UrDeviant1
Read through this: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/the-dawn-of-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag

Somewhere they suggest that you'll be able to roam around the abstergo facility for secrets. I doubt they'll have deep and satisfying modern-day story telling...but we'll see.

RinoTheBouncer
03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
For real? I mean c'mon roaming in FPS? JUNO TOOK OVER THE **** WORLD AND THEY JUST WANNA MAKE IT SO MINIMAL?
I'd rather see the world burn with Minerva's solution and have an all time historical-looking gameplay than have modern and historical periods but have no clues about modern day... sigh

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 12:38 PM
I didn't see where they mentioned roaming in 1st person? is this true? :/

LoyalACFan
03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm going to be brutally honest here; the modern day segments are not exactly popular. They can't completely ax them, but the vast majority of AC players would just as soon skip all the Desmond stuff and go straight back into the Animus. Ubi knows that. And that's why they're not interested in putting much effort into the modern day stuff.

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm going to be brutally honest here; the modern day segments are not exactly popular. They can't completely ax them, but the vast majority of AC players would just as soon skip all the Desmond stuff and go straight back into the Animus. Ubi knows that. And that's why they're not interested in putting much effort into the modern day stuff.

To those interested in the AC lore then yes, the modern-day parts are important. And that's a lot of people.

Assassin_M
03-04-2013, 12:42 PM
I didn't see where they mentioned roaming in 1st person? is this true? :/
Game Trailers Video and a few other previews confirm what GT said

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Game Trailers Video and a few other previews confirm what GT said

I only ever saw negative feedback for TLA style of play. Why the hell would they bother with this crap again? Ugh. Not good man.

Sushiglutton
03-04-2013, 12:44 PM
It's a great compromise. Make the modern part optional so that hardcore fans can explore a bit, read documents, e-mails and so on. And let the rest of us focus on the historical part without being interupted to find a battery in Brazil :|.

I only ever saw negative feedback for TLA style of play. Why the hell would they bother with this crap again? Ugh. Not good man.

I can't imagine it will that kind of gameplay? I think it will be more exploring the facility in FP. TLA gameplay was inside the Animus.

LoyalACFan
03-04-2013, 12:46 PM
To those interested in the AC lore then yes, the modern-day parts are important. And that's a lot of people.

There's a hell of a lot more people who bought the game because of the awesome pirate. Unless you've been with AC since the beginning, the modern stuff is basically meaningless. When my brothers picked up the series at AC3, they constantly complained to me about having to leave Connor in favor of some loser in a hoodie. Trust me. Ubi's not too concerned with expanding the modern stuff.

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Yeah, seems they have truly given up on good modern-day gameplay. But if the lore is still there to be explored i guess i can't complain too hard. But it better be there >:[

Legendz54
03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Mybe the guy you are playing as will realise what he is doing for Abstergo is wrong a and break out.

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
I can't imagine it will that kind of gameplay? I think it will be more exploring the facility in FP. TLA gameplay was inside the Animus.

I just meant the 1st person style.

revel911
03-04-2013, 01:11 PM
I like the modern story, as for me it is the thread that connects all of these together.

With Desmond "dead" I am assuming, and Kenway being his lineage, are we assuming that Desmond's father is in the animus?

Sushiglutton
03-04-2013, 01:19 PM
I like the modern story, as for me it is the thread that connects all of these together.

With Desmond "dead" I am assuming, and Kenway being his lineage, are we assuming that Desmond's father is in the animus?

No, Desmond's memory has been uploaded to the cloud so everyone can access it. You play as yourself in an Abstergo research facility. You will be able to explore this facility in an unknown way. The speculation is that the modern day part will therefor be optional and be less relevant in terms of overall story.

dxsxhxcx
03-04-2013, 01:29 PM

if they don't care about the modern day then they should had been kind enough to finish the mess the modern day story became in AC3 instead of left the ending open on purpose...

IMO the problem with Desmond Journey/TLA wasn't the fact it was in first person but its design, stone blocks pretending to be Assassins is hardly something that interest me...

Layytez
03-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Only reason why I play AC is for the connection to the modern day plot. If this is this case ill play it but not on day one. Random dude looking at memories while the world is about to be taken over ? No thanks.

RinoTheBouncer
03-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Maybe we'll talk about how Abstergo is planning to find a solution to stop Juno by using normal people as gamers to collect data from them in addition to the Templar agents at Abstergo. I just wanna see a significant role in modern day because AC3 ending made it feel like everything in history became irrelevant and modern day is what counts, story-wise.

I understand they want new players but just don't ruin the main story of the game in favor of getting new players. Players will come either way as long as the story and gameplay are interesting. Don't make long time fans feel alienated, Ubisoft.

joey-4321_web
03-04-2013, 11:58 PM
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Juhani_Otso_Berg

mazohystic
03-05-2013, 12:03 AM
I've been complaining a lot about this today but ah, I just need to let off the emotions I'm feeling about this.

RinoTheBouncer, that's exactly how I'm feeling. Alienated. I'm not a long time fan (only been a fan for over a year now) but the modern day plot is 90% of the reason why I keep buying the games. With AC1, I was really excited at the historical aspect. At first I felt cheated when I found out I was some dude in a machine but by the end of the game with the final showdown between Altair and Al Mualim, I was like, WHAT IS THIS BEAUTIFUL PLOT TWIST?? I've been hooked to the modern story ever since.

I just hope they won't screw the modern day plot even further. I want to them to tie up loose threads. I don't want more questions, I want answers this time. I want things to be resolved. I want the story to move forward before it ends.

joey-4321_web
03-05-2013, 12:06 AM
I've been complaining a lot about this today but ah, I just need to let off the emotions I'm feeling about this.

RinoTheBouncer, that's exactly how I'm feeling. Alienated. I'm not a long time fan (only been a fan for over a year now) but the modern day plot is 90% of the reason why I keep buying the games. With AC1, I was really excited at the historical aspect. At first I felt cheated when I found out I was some dude in a machine but by the end of the game with the final showdown between Altair and Al Mualim, I was like, WHAT IS THIS BEAUTIFUL PLOT TWIST?? I've been hooked to the modern story ever since.

I just hope they won't screw the modern day plot even further. I want to them to tie up loose threads. I don't want more questions, I want answers this time. I want things to be resolved. I want the story to move forward before it ends.
Agreed I freaked loved desmond, he was awesome.

montagemik
03-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Maybe we'll talk about how Abstergo is planning to find a solution to stop Juno by using normal people as gamers to collect data from them in addition to the Templar agents at Abstergo. I just wanna see a significant role in modern day because AC3 ending made it feel like everything in history became irrelevant and modern day is what counts, story-wise.

I understand they want new players but just don't ruin the main story of the game in favor of getting new players. Players will come either way as long as the story and gameplay are interesting. Don't make long time fans feel alienated, Ubisoft.

Have a little faith :rolleyes:
But i'd like to think Black Flag is about Abstergo agent/employee (who i think is Erudito) is investigating the memories of Desmond looking for answers - as part of the Archive intrusion clean up at Abstergo after the 21-12-12 incident .
While playing as Edward - this employee sees Ed first become aware of the Templars & Assassins & eventually realises what Abstergo really stand for - Cuts out & goes looking for the Assassins with vital info they need .

Then Next year on next gen We get the next / real AC 4 - Where we're back as Connor & Connor later in life discovers something in the grand temple that could help against Juno in Modern day .

The fans either die of shock or go on mass outrage mode .

twenty_glyphs
03-05-2013, 01:07 AM
I'm not surprised by this new method of framing the modern-day story, and I frankly feel like it's smart. The premise of playing as Desmond, reliving ancestors' memories and gaining knowledge and abilities to use in the modern day was awesome. Also, the intersection of all of those ancestors' lives with Desmond's was really cool. Unfortunately, the execution was pretty bad. The high point for me was when Desmond was exploring the Colosseum in Brotherhood, and his role got more boring from there for me. If they're not going to get the modern-day segments as Desmond to be awesome, and it's becoming something that's preventing casual fans from jumping on board, then it's smart to frame the modern-day story as a faceless person representing the player researching memories from the past. If they put in enough depth that's optional, then they can satisfy longtime fans of the series' interest in the modern-day aspects while removing it as a stumbling block for players not interested in that aspect.

The downside is that there won't be a strong protagonist in the present, and the present-day story can never really become too involved or intense with a nameless, faceless protagonist. They also risk alienating fans of Desmond and the past formula, but if they put enough interesting things about the lore into the present-day gameplay I think a lot of us will get past that pretty fast. I'm actually pretty interested in the aspect of playing an Abstergo employee in the present and getting back to the feel of discovering Abstergo's conspiracies that AC1 had.

My biggest issue with all of this is, if all of this was the plan going back a few years (which it almost certainly was), then why did Desmond go out in such a rushed, unfinished way? I would think this new premise would have encouraged them to make an epic ending for Desmond instead of whatever it is that we got.

dxsxhxcx
03-05-2013, 01:57 AM
But i'd like to think Black Flag is about Abstergo agent/employee (who i think is Erudito) is investigating the memories of Desmond looking for answers - as part of the Archive intrusion clean up at Abstergo after the 21-12-12 incident .
While playing as Edward - this employee sees Ed first become aware of the Templars & Assassins & eventually realises what Abstergo really stand for - Cuts out & goes looking for the Assassins with vital info they need .

this could be quite interesting, but if this employee is supposed to be (part of/or) Erudito he would already be aware of what Abstergo and the Templars stand for...

imagine if the theory about the necessity of find a "descendant of Eve" is right (there's one that will accompany you through the gate), and then we as Erudito in this game discover this descendant (that'll be the next modern day protagonist) is being kept by Abstergo is in the same facility as us (she lies not within our sight, the Cross darkens the horizon) while we hack the Abstergo servers between sessions, then somehow we contact the Assassins and at the end of the game they invade the facility we (and this descendant) are being kept and get us out of there, and then in the next game, we, in control of the new modern day protagonist would need to find in the past a way to stop Juno, IMO something like this would be much better than try to make sense of S16's and Juno's messages from the mess AC3 was...

NvmberFiveUA
03-05-2013, 04:17 AM

I hated the Modern missions. I never cared for Desmond at all. I'm glad they killed him off.

rupok2
03-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Unfortunately the masses who only want to shoot stuff and see EXPLOSIONS will be catered to instead and eventually all the mystery elements will be taken out of AC eventually.

Layytez
03-05-2013, 04:53 AM
Well what he finds must be relevant to the modern day story otherwise what is the point ? Right now the world is in danger. They better come across something that will cripple Juno or at least has something to do with her unless they simply said **** you to the modern day plot.

souNdwAve89
03-05-2013, 04:58 AM
I am quite disappointed with how there will be less of the modern day compared to the previous games. I watched a good chunk of the interviews regarding AC4 and Guesdon is pretty vague with the modern day, so who knows how it will be. I honestly liked Desmond, but he was just mishandled with how ACR and AC3 was developed. I really do feel that Ubisoft did not know for certain how to handle the modern day part of the franchise, so to just be done with it they just ended Desmond's story like that. I am not surprised that they created AC4 with a bigger emphasis on the past since that is what attracts people to the franchise. It just sucks when the masses are always cater to, which causes the developers to please them with what they want.

dAnNyKiLlZ
03-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Unfortunately the masses who only want to shoot stuff and see EXPLOSIONS will be catered to instead and eventually all the mystery elements will be taken out of AC eventually.
exactly how things are going.
its not fair to blow off the loyal fans who were deeply involved in the modern day story of AC.
as for the mysterious elements of the game which used to give me an adrenaline rush and a faster beating heart, I think you're right again..
eventually these games will become all about the action and fighting and no actual good plot.

rupok2
03-05-2013, 05:42 AM
exactly how things are going.
its not fair to blow off the loyal fans who were deeply involved in the modern day story of AC.
as for the mysterious elements of the game which used to give me an adrenaline rush and a faster beating heart, I think you're right again..
eventually these games will become all about the action and fighting and no actual good plot.

What you gonna do? its all about the money nowadays and passion about making games is very rare. Even with the passion devs are hampered by the corporate heads.

pirate1802
03-05-2013, 05:48 AM
I hated the Modern missions. I never cared for Desmond at all. I'm glad they killed him off.

As someone else put it. I'm gonna celebrate 30th October as the International Freedom From Morons Day.

Gi1t
03-05-2013, 05:54 AM
What you gonna do? its all about the money nowadays and passion about making games is very rare. Even with the passion devs are hampered by the corporate heads.

Exactly what people are doing: Pointing it out and encouraging people to ask for more stimulating products and to not buy games that cheapen the medium. It's the most anyone can do, really, since people drive the market. The only thing to do is try to spread the news about what these games can really accomplish so people will demand more from them.

As for people who will never care about that sort of thing, it's important to note that this also makes them easy to please. You can have a game with the kind of gameplay people like that are looking for and one that doesn't necessarily force deep involvement, and still have the option for a more engaging experience.

Making the modern day story more of an option is a good idea, and it doesn't mean the modern day story has to be cut down to a minimum. If players who don't like it don't have to play it, then it can be geared more toward the people who DO give a ****. :D What do the other people care? They're not playing it.

mazohystic
03-05-2013, 06:15 AM
As a huge modern day fan, it kind of feels like a slap to the face. All those times I've defended the modern assassins and the modern day plot's purpose was all for nothing because it turns out that Ubisoft doesn't really care about them either. I don't know what to think about AC anymore...

RinoTheBouncer
03-05-2013, 06:53 AM
As a huge modern day fan, it kind of feels like a slap to the face. All those times I've defended the modern assassins and the modern day plot's purpose was all for nothing because it turns out that Ubisoft doesn't really care about them either. I don't know what to think about AC anymore...

My thoughts exactly.
This isn't a Desmond fan boy complaint, this is something about logic. AC developed Desmond through 5 games to be an Assassin only to have a job limited to pushing buttons and now he's gone and we're just playing Abstergo's games.

I'd rather play as William, Rebecca, Shaun, a new modern day assassin or even accept them reviving Desmond somehow. ACIII ending made modern day so relevant and important, story-wise so let's continue that.

Then Next year on next gen We get the next / real AC 4 - Where we're back as Connor & Connor later in life discovers something in the grand temple that could help against Juno in Modern day .

The fans either die of shock or go on mass outrage mode .

That's what I'm hoping for.
It would be a great thing to live in the shoes of someone who's a Templar who becomes an Assassin after learning the truth.

We played as a Templar then as an Assassin in ACIII so maybe this time we can have this in modern day too.

rupok2
03-05-2013, 06:57 AM
I really hope that desmonds time wasn't all for naught. Hopefully he comes back in an important way, maybe like subject 16 did.

RinoTheBouncer
03-05-2013, 07:00 AM
I really hope that desmonds time wasn't all for naught. Hopefully he comes back in an important way, maybe like subject 16 did.

It would be a priceless moment if the opening scene of ACIV is Desmond waking up at Abstergo labs, being possessed by Juno and assassinates everyone there in some kick *** moves and escapes the town. He might become the next villain just like Alex Mercer did in Prototype 2 after being the protagonist of first Prototype.

rupok2
03-05-2013, 07:10 AM
It would be a priceless moment if the opening scene of ACIV is Desmond waking up at Abstergo labs, being possessed by Juno and assassinates everyone there in some kick *** moves and escapes the town. He might become the next villain just like Alex Mercer did in Prototype 2 after being the protagonist of first Prototype.

That would be cool but then they would have to explain how his memories were uploaded to the cloud.

Markie577
03-05-2013, 02:51 PM
I hope they do a good job on the modern day part. The modern day part is what kept me buying all sequels! WIthout them every story is single and I can pass on for example ac3 because it's not my favourite era.

Modern day part is extremely important!

dxsxhxcx
03-05-2013, 04:05 PM
IMO without the modern days, PoEs and TWCB will get old pretty fast, if they have plans to remove the modern days (or make it meaningless) just reboot the franchise and make it only about Assassin's vs Templars and milk it all they can...

mazohystic
03-05-2013, 04:17 PM
IMO without the modern days, PoEs and TWCB will get old pretty fast, if they have plans to remove the modern days (or make it meaningless) just reboot the franchise and make it only about Assassin's vs Templars and milk it all they can...

I agree with this. I'd rather they end the modern day plot in AC4 cleanly and just stop if they don't care about it anymore.

emperior
03-05-2013, 05:05 PM
They won't end the modern day plot as that's the main thing of Assassin's Creed serie.
It's all based on the animus, the HUD proves it.
The animus is the base of the gameplay.
Surely they could change the HUD and remove the modern day plot, but it's too late.
And they said that animus creates a infinite list of plots.

II iL Falco II
03-05-2013, 05:28 PM
If they don't set a good amount of missions/game parts of the next game in the present day, I simply won't buy the game. The present part is the most important for the story of AC and it's the one which makes all he Animus stuff possible and useful.

And people, we have Juno free around the world! The Assassins and the Templars cannot delight themself with the Animus!