PDA

View Full Version : Guys Guys LOOK !! We`re famous !!

Assassin_M
03-04-2013, 05:34 AM
5 pages talking about us stupid people playing AC and our twitter insults xD

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/are-video-games-like-assassins-creed-rewriting-history/article9237302/

pirate1802
03-04-2013, 05:43 AM
My momma always said I'll make her proud.. *wipes a tear of happiness*

Farlander1991
03-04-2013, 05:54 AM
Uhhh... Am I the only one who didn't understand what the article was trying to say exactly? And why Connor suddenly has a girlfriend?

pirate1802
03-04-2013, 05:58 AM
Uhhh... Am I the only one who didn't understand what the article was trying to say exactly? And why Connor suddenly has a girlfriend?

It says videogames like Assassins Creed are twisting history! people are learning the wrong history! Apparently someone didn't pay attention to the disclaimer in the beginning. Also, lol, Connor having a girlfriend.. that pretty much shows the author didn't bother to even play the **** game.

Farlander1991
03-04-2013, 06:01 AM
It says videogames like Assassins Creed are twisting history! people are learning the wrong history!

Well, it kinda ASKS the question 'are videogames like Assassins Creed twisting history', puts a bunch of quotes from different people and their views, and then just ends without any sort of point to it.

pirate1802
03-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Well, it kinda ASKS the question 'are videogames like Assassins Creed twisting history', puts a bunch of quotes from different people and their views, and then just ends without any sort of point to it.

I got the feeling it implied that, like in the beginning like it says.. Here's how real history is learned, in the universities. Then it says, you know there's another way to learn history! At places where it picks out the historical inaccuracies in the game.. kinda implies it.

joey-4321_web
03-04-2013, 07:29 AM
This is the stupidest ****ing thing I've ever read.
I'm sick of the adults calling us stupid.

LoyalACFan
03-04-2013, 07:33 AM
"These are not pimply adolescent boys chewing pixels in a basement rec room, though plenty of those play Assassin’s Creed."

Ouch! Bias much? And I love the fact that they seem to think that ONLY video games are responsible for twisting historical accuracy... Last of the Mohicans, anyone? And I actually read that book for HISTORY CLASS!!!

Assassin_M
03-04-2013, 07:34 AM
This is the stupidest ****ing thing I've ever read.
I'm sick of the adults calling us stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQOiyakjox8

Eternal Reward
03-04-2013, 07:35 AM
I smelt a person who hasn't actually played the game.

*picks up shovel*

Lynching time?

D.I.D.
03-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Oh don't be like that. DEY SLAPPED OUR GAME. HATE THEM BAAACK. It's a like an anthill in here.

The article makes a fair point, and what's more, I've seen people on this board claiming many times that the history in these games is "totally accurate". There is a big chunk of the customer base who so implicitly trust the company to do their thinking for them, and that is important. The company boasts about accuracy on one hand while occasionally admitting sleight of hand, but you only hear about that if you're a huge fan and soak up every interview you can find.

It's a really poor strategy to see something that irritates you and, instead of taking on the main thrust of the argument, searching for some tiny weak point in the secondary information. CONNOR'S GIRLFRIEND? LOL SHOWS YOU DIDN'T PLAY THE GAME PROPERLY. No. Please.

This is important:

None of these arguments impress Marc Egnal, a U.S. military historian at York University. It isn’t just that a Mohawk fighting for the Americans is “very unlikely.” What troubles Prof. Egnal is the meaning that is implied. “If they wanted to get it right,” he says, “they should have made the hero from one of the smaller tribes in the south,” where fighting for the Americans was more common. “But ‘Mohawk’ is a better sell.”
By way of analogy, he points out that a very small number of African Americans fought for the South in the U.S. Civil War. To depict that as a norm “would be a gross distortion of history,” he says.

It really is. You can just dismiss it and say "well, Connor was the rare Mohawk who did fight with the bluecoats", but that is the thinnest of weaksauce. Connor, for the purposes of the game, is the Mohawks. It didn't bother me to much while playing, but I'm a customer, whereas it's a historian's job to care about these things. You see them doing exactly that, and take offence. There is no need for this.

D.I.D.
03-04-2013, 03:36 PM
It says videogames like Assassins Creed are twisting history! people are learning the wrong history! Apparently someone didn't pay attention to the disclaimer in the beginning. Also, lol, Connor having a girlfriend.. that pretty much shows the author didn't bother to even play the **** game.

Apparently someone didn't read the article

But Prof. Egnal doesn’t play video games. If he did, he might find that the history in the game is simply background, seldom in danger of being taken as gospel.

montagemik
03-04-2013, 03:54 PM

Some Twonk 'expert' preaching how Games give kids the wrong idea of history :rolleyes: (Why does common sense rarely go with intelligence )

The AC games are all cert 18 i thought ( in UK at least ) So who cares how many americans 15-17 get the wrong impression of history from them? .............
Whatever - If anybody of any age is taking AC history depiction as 100% History fact - That shows they're more than a little slow in the head i'd say or too young to understand the game story / plot concept at least..

D.I.D.
03-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Some Twonk 'expert' preaching how Games give kids the wrong idea of history :rolleyes: (Why does common sense rarely go with intelligence )

The AC games are all cert 18 i thought ( in UK at least ) So who cares how many americans 15-17 get the wrong impression of history from them? .............
Whatever - If anybody of any age is taking AC history depiction as 100% History fact - That shows they're more than a little slow in the head i'd say or too young to understand the game story / plot concept at least..

Put your fandom to one side for a minute. It's actually a really well researched piece of journalism, which presents all sides of the argument with equal weight, and it occasionally challenges the things people say.

I think people have become used to the blog-influenced journalism of today, and expect a piece like this to be thoroughly For or Against. I'm glad this one isn't, but if you pay attention to the thrust it's largely positive about the games and saying the same things that you are, while also taking on board the arguments and concerns of other people.

As an adult, you ought to be able to do the same thing.

montagemik
03-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Put your fandom to one side for a minute. It's actually a really well researched piece of journalism, which presents all sides of the argument with equal weight, and it occasionally challenges the things people say.

I think people have become used to the blog-influenced journalism of today, and expect a piece like this to be thoroughly For or Against. I'm glad this one isn't, but if you pay attention to the thrust it's largely positive about the games and saying the same things that you are, while also taking on board the arguments and concerns of other people.

As an adult, you ought to be able to do the same thing.

As an adult - I see games as Entertainment , Nothing more . It has nothing to do with my AC fandom or any other game series.
If everyone did the same , there'd be less chance of the press trying to blame society or individuals own shortcomings on videogames or movies .

Sorry i didn't actually read All 5 pages , There are more important real world News stories that i could be concerned about other than those kinds of articles.