PDA

View Full Version : A good premise for a modern time storyline

Mr_Stunner
03-02-2013, 04:10 PM
This contains AC III ending SPOILERS

I was thinking in a good premise to set a modern day storyline if AC IV protagonist is gonna be Edward Kenway, we could be playing with Williams Miles in present day, he enters the Animus to relieve his ancestor's life, in this case could be Edward Kenway, in order to locate the Shroud of Eden, after the main game ends he founds it and infiltrates the Abstergo to get back Desmonds body and ressurects him. The next Triology would be about Desmond (because he has a so special ancestry) saving the world from Juno.

Your thoughts?

SixKeys
03-02-2013, 04:15 PM
The Shroud can only resurrect people who are on the brink of dying, not people who have been dead for several days/weeks. Desmond is dead. Deal with it.

UrDeviant1
03-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Also, it doesn't resurrect them permanently. It just sort of re-animates them for a short time.

BoeserBengel83
03-02-2013, 04:18 PM
After this long stretched Desmond story i am glad (somehow), that he is dead, it became boring, we never had a real mission with him until AC3.

I don't need or want to see William, i want a new "modern day warrior".

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 04:18 PM
I'd rather they make a new and more interesting modern day character than return to Desmond. He is done for. Time for a new character. preferably a female.

SixKeys
03-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Also, it doesn't resurrect them permanently. It just sort of re-animates them for a short time.

The Shroud worked permanently in Giovanni Borgia's case (when he was a baby), but he wasn't dead, just very weak.

UrDeviant1
03-02-2013, 04:21 PM
The Shroud worked permanently in Giovanni Borgia's case (when he was a baby), but he wasn't dead, just very weak.

The shroud worked more like a healing tool for him because he was born disfigured. So true, it does also have healing powers.

ajl992008
03-02-2013, 04:32 PM
heres an idea i had:

we play as desmonds cousin, he could be an opposite to desmond in that he is serious and dedicated and has a huge passion for the assassins and the creed. rather than beginning the game straight as edward we should play the first couple of hours as this present day character beginning when he is a kid on...THE FARM, they could show a relationship between him and Desmond and see him become an assassin, go on some modern day assassin missions like ac3 as well, this will be great character development that desmond never got. then after some circumstances he will enter the animus with a new crew of present day characters. this imo has sooo much potential and also justifies playing as edward as the new character and Desmond will have similar ancestry.

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 04:37 PM
heres an idea i had:

we play as desmonds cousin, he could be an opposite to desmond in that he is serious and dedicated and has a huge passion for the assassins and the creed. rather than beginning the game straight as edward we should play the first couple of hours as this present day character beginning when he is a kid on...THE FARM, they could show a relationship between him and Desmond and see him become an assassin, go on some modern day assassin missions like ac3 as well, this will be great character development that desmond never got. then after some circumstances he will enter the animus with a new crew of present day characters. this imo has sooo much potential and also justifies playing as edward as the new character and Desmond will have similar ancestry.

this is much better than OP's idea.. sorry :p What I want in the next modern day character is for him to not be a cardboard cutout and to give him a credible backstory; a backstory we as a player see and experience, not hear afterwards in some lame platforming sequence for example. This will he me bond with the character the way I never did with Desmond.

Sushiglutton
03-02-2013, 04:45 PM
When the game boots up a voice says: "Welcome to the Animus. Press start to begin the simulation!". Player press starts and we play as Edward Kenway. Boom, problem solved ;)!

ajl992008
03-02-2013, 04:59 PM
When the game boots up a voice says: "Welcome to the Animus. Press start to begin the simulation!". Player press starts and we play as Edward Kenway. Boom, problem solved ;)!

.......NO, sorry but I want the dev team to stop being cowards in regards to the present day story, rather than listening to people trying to get rid of it how about they prove them wrong and make the present day AMAZING.

Sushiglutton
03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
.......NO, sorry but I want the dev team to stop being cowards in regards to the present day story, rather than listening to people trying to get rid of it how about they prove them wrong and make the present day AMAZING.

Suppose they added a baking side game which allowed the player to bake simple bread in real time. Then when people complained and said "I don't want to bake bread I want to play as an assassin!" they thought to themselves: "We need to make the baking awesome so that people want to play it!". So they add whipped cream and marzipan for the sequel. And people say: "I don't want to make cakes either. I want to kill templars with the hidden blade!". The developers listen to the feedback and say to themselves: "We should not be cowards! We need to prove people wrong and give them a baking side game that is AMAZING!!!". So they add chocolate, sprinkles, yeast simulation and a realisically working oven....

Here's the thing. They can NEVER make a modern day story that will impress me. I don't want it! I want to explore ancient, climbable beautiful worlds. That's what AC can give me that no other videogame franchise in the world can. They have tried to make the modern day part awseome for five years and as many games. It doesn't work. It slows the pacing, adds nothing interesting in terms of gameplay and it's just the kind of nonsensical sci-fi that everyone in the videogame industry is doing. Enough :mad:!

maxerx180
03-02-2013, 05:20 PM
After how they handled Desmond is AC3. The modern day storyline is dead to me.

ajl992008
03-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Suppose they added a baking side game which allowed the player to bake simple bread in real time. Then when people complained and said "I don't want to bake bread I want to play as an assassin!" they thought to themselves: "We need to make the baking awesome so that people want to play it!". So they add whipped cream and marzipan for the sequel. And people say: "I don't want to make cakes either. I want to kill templars with the hidden blade!". The developers listen to the feedback and say to themselves: "We should not be cowards! We need to prove people wrong and give them a baking side game that is AMAZING!!!". So they add chocolate, sprinkles, yeast simulation and a realisically working oven....

Here's the thing. They can NEVER make a modern day story that will impress me. I don't want it! I want to explore ancient, climbable beautiful worlds. That's what AC can give me that no other videogame franchise in the world can. They have tried to make the modern day part awseome for five years and as many games. It doesn't work. It slows the pacing, adds nothing interesting in terms of gameplay and it's just the kind of nonsensical sci-fi that everyone in the videogame industry is doing. Enough :mad:!

i don't mean to be rude but that wasn't imo a good example, that example would work for something like den defense which was completely random. the modern day store is a core pillar of the franchise, just because you didn't like the modern day story doesnt mean others don't. Also i will admit the modern day story hasn't been amazing but thats because it was too short, thats why if done properly it will be great, your not even giving it chance. I'm not asking it to be free roam with side missions etc but if they did what they did in ac3 with desmond with more depth of story and more missions it would be great, many other people also agree, you are in the minority, end of the day sorry to say it, the modern day story will NEVER be taken away unless its for a spin off.

Sushiglutton
03-02-2013, 05:56 PM
i don't mean to be rude but that wasn't imo a good example, that example would work for something like den defense which was completely random. the modern day store is a core pillar of the franchise, just because you didn't like the modern day story doesnt mean others don't. Also i will admit the modern day story hasn't been amazing but thats because it was too short, thats why if done properly it will be great, your not even giving it chance. I'm not asking it to be free roam with side missions etc but if they did what they did in ac3 with desmond with more depth of story and more missions it would be great, many other people also agree, you are in the minority, end of the day sorry to say it, the modern day story will NEVER be taken away unless its for a spin off.

You seem to think that people don't know what they really want and if Ubi just made the modern day amazing all the critics would go away. I don't think that is true at all. I don't think I'm the only one who simply has no interest in it, no matter what they do. For me the main draw, and what makes the franchise unique, is the historical parts.

You claim that I belong to the minority, which I think is true if you only count the hardcore fans. If you read other boards however, people are very divided (to say the least). That is obv the reason why the modern day story in AC3 is so short (too short given the amount of characters they needed to kill off). If people around the globe celebrated it as the main draw of the franchise I can assure you it would have been 90% of the campaign and the historical part 10% instead of the other way around.

If Ubi throws tons of money at the modern part I'm sure they could make it as good as say Splinter Cell. But that has to come at the expense of something else. To me the modern part is a needless complication for a franchise that struggles with lack of focus and quality control. There are so many things that need improvement that wasting time on it makes no sense to me. That said I'm sure you are correct that Ubi will stick with it for the time being.

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 06:13 PM
I think part of the problem with the modern day part is:

1) they have to introduce guns. Lets face it: Modern day combat without guns being used, is ultra-lame. yes, they used guns in AC3 but the way they did it was ludicrous. The guards only remember once in a while to fire their guns? Please.

2) With guns being introduced, there's a real chance it would turn into a Splinter Cell or GTA clone (or now Watch Dogs clone). I've seen many people suggest modern day combat using snipers, silenced pistols and all. But what they don't seem to realize is this will take away the uniqueness of AC. We might as well be playing Splinter Cell then. That is why the devs will never implement such ideas.

So, with these two problems in mind, I find the devs left with very little room to develop the modern day combat. Either they go the stupid non-gun road, or risk turning it into one of many modern day stealth games available.

What I want is:

1) Find a way out of between the devil and the deep sea. This would be ideal.

2) If not, do away with modern day combat altogather. (remember, I'm not suggesting modern day part be axed altogether. Merely the combat parts). I actually agree with Sushiglutton: In AC3 the modern day parts actually felt distracting from the overall experience. I only rushed through them quickly to get back to Connor parts. Also like him I play AC for the historical parts. There is no other franchise like this and thats why I love it. On the other hand there are plenty of modern sci-fi stealth games.

So ubi, either find a way to sort out the modern combat, or axe it altogether. otherwise I'll die.. of laughter :D

Perk89
03-02-2013, 06:32 PM
I honestly don't think we get much modern day plot development in this game. If any at all. I think they cheese out, use the Cloud, give us a little bit more Templar-hugging (look at how good this Templar man using this is! Look at how morally gray we are!!!) and call it a day while they decide what to do with it in the next game and, tbh, how to wrap it up as soon as possible because I don't truly think they're committed to it now that the genies out of the bottle (lulz)

Perk89
03-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Let me clarify, I do think they have some ideas for some stuff they'd like to do in a modern setting down the road, with Abstergo Entertainment and all that, but I'm getting the impression they're largely clueless on how to handle this whole Juno thing now that the cat is out of the bag (lulz) and I, like I said, I just don't know that they're committed all that much to it and I don't think they'll flesh it out. To be quite honest, I'm more intrigued by how an almost extinct Assassin organization is going to down Abstergo's global Animus brainwashing plot anyways, and I hope they don't put it off too much longer.

Perk89
03-02-2013, 06:42 PM
who knows. Maybe Juno will go all Mewtwo and junk and go into hiding for a few games while she plots her evil plan for global conquest and we'll address the other modern storylines in the meantime

Though I suspect people who come to the series during that time will be mighty confused when she comes back

Sushiglutton
03-02-2013, 07:05 PM
I think part of the problem with the modern day part is:

1) they have to introduce guns. Lets face it: Modern day combat without guns being used, is ultra-lame. yes, they used guns in AC3 but the way they did it was ludicrous. The guards only remember once in a while to fire their guns? Please.

2) With guns being introduced, there's a real chance it would turn into a Splinter Cell or GTA clone (or now Watch Dogs clone). I've seen many people suggest modern day combat using snipers, silenced pistols and all. But what they don't seem to realize is this will take away the uniqueness of AC. We might as well be playing Splinter Cell then. That is why the devs will never implement such ideas.

So, with these two problems in mind, I find the devs left with very little room to develop the modern day combat. Either they go the stupid non-gun road, or risk turning it into one of many modern day stealth games available.

What I want is:

1) Find a way out of between the devil and the deep sea. This would be ideal.

2) If not, do away with modern day combat altogather. (remember, I'm not suggesting modern day part be axed altogether. Merely the combat parts). I actually agree with Sushiglutton: In AC3 the modern day parts actually felt distracting from the overall experience. I only rushed through them quickly to get back to Connor parts. Also like him I play AC for the historical parts. There is no other franchise like this and thats why I love it. On the other hand there are plenty of modern sci-fi stealth games.

So ubi, either find a way to sort out the modern combat, or axe it altogether. otherwise I'll die.. of laughter :D

You formulated it much better than I did :)! For modern day gameplay to make sense they basically have to build two games in one and it's not going to work. And even if they did, the modern day would still not live up to the games that specialized, like Splinter Cell, Hitman and so on.

B_Crispino
03-02-2013, 07:11 PM
i don't know if youre aware of it, sushi, but the modern side of the story is not about baking, its about the assassins... but the modern ones.

RzaRecta357
03-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Liberation basically sets the new character up. Just because it is Eves descendant though does not mean it's going to be a female. It could still go either way.

SPOILERS

Aveline gets a disc that basically has three holograms of random TOWCB that we haven't seen before. They go on to mention Eve's descendant rescuing humanity from enslavery. We can get who's doing the slavery, right?

ajl992008
03-02-2013, 07:16 PM
You seem to think that people don't know what they really want and if Ubi just made the modern day amazing all the critics would go away. I don't think that is true at all. I don't think I'm the only one who simply has no interest in it, no matter what they do. For me the main draw, and what makes the franchise unique, is the historical parts.

You claim that I belong to the minority, which I think is true if you only count the hardcore fans. If you read other boards however, people are very divided (to say the least). That is obv the reason why the modern day story in AC3 is so short (too short given the amount of characters they needed to kill off). If people around the globe celebrated it as the main draw of the franchise I can assure you it would have been 90% of the campaign and the historical part 10% instead of the other way around.

If Ubi throws tons of money at the modern part I'm sure they could make it as good as say Splinter Cell. But that has to come at the expense of something else. To me the modern part is a needless complication for a franchise that struggles with lack of focus and quality control. There are so many things that need improvement that wasting time on it makes no sense to me. That said I'm sure you are correct that Ubi will stick with it for the time being.

no no your misunderstanding me, i agree the most important thing about ac is the historical setting, however i think the modern day story compliments the historical part of the games as it gives us links between the various assassins ezio, altair, connor and desmond. its given us something to look forward to and an overall plot, without it each game would fell like episodes rather than a joint series. it is an important part but if the historical part of ac was effected i would want it removed but if done right it can strength ac as an overall game/series imo. sure people are divided but for the most part i think people hate it because it wasn't done as well as it could have been, if done well i think it will win people over, all im saying is just wait and give it a chance and see if they can fix their mistakes.

Sushiglutton
03-02-2013, 07:25 PM
i don't know if youre aware of it, sushi, but the modern side of the story is not about baking, its about the assassins... but the modern ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy

no no your misunderstanding me, i agree the most important thing about ac is the historical setting, however i think the modern day story compliments the historical part of the games as it gives us links between the various assassins ezio, altair, connor and desmond. its given us something to look forward to and an overall plot, without it each game would fell like episodes rather than a joint series. it is an important part but if the historical part of ac was effected i would want it removed but if done right it can strength ac as an overall game/series imo. sure people are divided but for the most part i think people hate it because it wasn't done as well as it could have been, if done well i think it will win people over, all im saying is just wait and give it a chance and see if they can fix their mistakes.

I def think that is what Ubisoft wants out of the modern day part. To be like a red thread, a way to connect the games with eachother and deliver cliff-hangers. And you are correct that there is some value to that. For me it isn't enough to justify it, but I totally respect others may enjoy it. You are also correct that the quality of the modern part will obv effect how much people enjoy it. I mean I obv also prefer a well made modern day part over a poorly made one.

To me it's mostly a matter of priority. Like I said I think many of the franchise's problems come from a very tight release schedule in combination with a super ambitious team that is trying to do everything. I think it would help the franchise a lot if some things were cut out. And to me the modern part seems like a no-brainer candidate for that.

B_Crispino
03-02-2013, 07:46 PM
my point being that the modern story is NOT something off the game itself, it is actually what links all the stories together. if you dont care about the game story, well, i'm ****ing sorry, but the modern part is fundamental to it.

Gi1t
03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
I honestly don't think we get much modern day plot development in this game. If any at all. I think they cheese out, use the Cloud, give us a little bit more Templar-hugging (look at how good this Templar man using this is! Look at how morally gray we are!!!) and call it a day while they decide what to do with it in the next game and, tbh, how to wrap it up as soon as possible because I don't truly think they're committed to it now that the genies out of the bottle (lulz)

Absolutely! :) That's their pattern for sure. XD

@Sushiglutton: I really wouldn't expect that kind of attitude from someone like you. In any case, I think it would be the ultimate sign of weakness if they just cut out a part of the story like that. That's what they ALWAYS do and that's what's been failing them for years now. Not everyone likes something, so they throw it all away. To be frank, if you really cut away everything from a series that not everyone loves, what do you think you're going to be left with? You'd basically be left with an utterly pointless game that doesn't go anywhere because committing to anything outside the most superficial elements would involve something not everyone enjoys. -__- The modern day part of the story wasn't just something that popped in midway through the game in Assassin's Creed; it was the first thing you saw. It's not just a part of the gameplay, like side missions, it's a main part of the STORY. It's one thing to cut a part of the gameplay, but quite another to cut a part of the story. If they wussed out and cut the modern day story, that, to me, would truly be the day the AC series I originally became interested in was gone for good.

That said, I actually think your idea is the most interesting. :D Because we are so familiar with the premise of how AC connects with its modern day story, it IS actually possible to make a game where it starts out like that, leaving the player wondering who they might be and where they are in the modern world. You'd obviously get a glimpse of the room you're in. It'd be a very intriguing way to start things off, and it would be a mystery they could play into. BUT, it would have to pay off sooner or later. They can't just hide behind it forever. Even if the person cannot exit the animus for a long time and you spend more than one game kind of piecing the mystery together as to who you are, there would need to be a real payoff at some point.

But that's why I think your idea might be the most interesting. Stories like the modern day AC segments are built largely on a sense of mystery. Getting only glimpses of the modern world make it more interesting. Pacing is obviously the most critical factor when it comes to people who aren't intersted in it, since you don't want to interrupt the animus gameplay at an important part. So picking and choosing those moments needs to be done wiht great care.

However, I can think of one possibility that ought ot be quite feasible with a new generation coming up. When people want two different things, give them two different options. Make the ability to exit the animus an option. They could just open up the series and let you choose when and how to explore your little slice of modern. Maybe actual missions could be accessed by, say, using a phone. I think a minimum of characters would be good since it would make things less complicated and enhance the mystery by letting the player's imagination move around more.

Bottom line, though, is that complaints about the modern day segment's very EXISTENCE aren't ever going to help. It doesn't work with anything else, so it's not going to help here. The best thing to do is to come up with an idea that does appeal to you. Your opinion might actually gain some traction then. Even if it's something you think would be too much work, put it on the table. It may be the basis for a real solution in the future. :)

RzaRecta357
03-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Myself and friends personally love the series for the modern parts. I flew through it and loved it. Forgot about it then remembered hey that game had a cool cliffhanger ending and some of that stuff was real.

Decided to play it again and got hooked to both aspects of it when I knew some of the targets were real people and what not. The way they talked and everything was just awesome. It's still my fav of the series to this day.

Then when Patrice was still in charge with 2 you know he had a vision for Desmond to be doing something awesome by 3. Did we ever find out why he left in the first place?

3 just felt rushed and I would of loved to have more Desmond in it. But Liberation still mentions Eve's descendant saving humanity from slavery. So they'll add it. I was thinking maybe we'd get one game in the cloud or something but now that this is definitely a numbered AC game.. They're gonna have to toss him/her in there.

I'm hoping like the ancestor this person is already a member of the order and well versed in assassinations and also very cool... not so stressed out. Can't really blame Desmond but he was basically always just stressed RIGHT out.

Sushiglutton
03-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Absolutely! :) That's their pattern for sure. XD

@Sushiglutton: I really wouldn't expect that kind of attitude from someone like you. In any case, I think it would be the ultimate sign of weakness if they just cut out a part of the story like that. That's what they ALWAYS do and that's what's been failing them for years now. Not everyone likes something, so they throw it all away. To be frank, if you really cut away everything from a series that not everyone loves, what do you think you're going to be left with? You'd basically be left with an utterly pointless game that doesn't go anywhere because committing to anything outside the most superficial elements would involve something not everyone enjoys. -__- The modern day part of the story wasn't just something that popped in midway through the game in Assassin's Creed; it was the first thing you saw. It's not just a part of the gameplay, like side missions, it's a main part of the STORY. It's one thing to cut a part of the gameplay, but quite another to cut a part of the story. If they wussed out and cut the modern day story, that, to me, would truly be the day the AC series I originally became interested in was gone for good.

That said, I actually think your idea is the most interesting. :D Because we are so familiar with the premise of how AC connects with its modern day story, it IS actually possible to make a game where it starts out like that, leaving the player wondering who they might be and where they are in the modern world. You'd obviously get a glimpse of the room you're in. It'd be a very intriguing way to start things off, and it would be a mystery they could play into. BUT, it would have to pay off sooner or later. They can't just hide behind it forever. Even if the person cannot exit the animus for a long time and you spend more than one game kind of piecing the mystery together as to who you are, there would need to be a real payoff at some point.

But that's why I think your idea might be the most interesting. Stories like the modern day AC segments are built largely on a sense of mystery. Getting only glimpses of the modern world make it more interesting. Pacing is obviously the most critical factor when it comes to people who aren't intersted in it, since you don't want to interrupt the animus gameplay at an important part. So picking and choosing those moments needs to be done wiht great care.

However, I can think of one possibility that ought ot be quite feasible with a new generation coming up. When people want two different things, give them two different options. Make the ability to exit the animus an option. They could just open up the series and let you choose when and how to explore your little slice of modern. Maybe actual missions could be accessed by, say, using a phone. I think a minimum of characters would be good since it would make things less complicated and enhance the mystery by letting the player's imagination move around more.

Bottom line, though, is that complaints about the modern day segment's very EXISTENCE aren't ever going to help. It doesn't work with anything else, so it's not going to help here. The best thing to do is to come up with an idea that does appeal to you. Your opinion might actually gain some traction then. Even if it's something you think would be too much work, put it on the table. It may be the basis for a real solution in the future. :)

Was I out of line :(? I was probably just pissed about the baking-analogy failing ;)! We obv like different things which is fine. I wouldn't call it weakness to ditch the modern part however. To acknowledge that something isn't working and have the courage to remove it can actually be very brave. For me the core of the franchise is exploring historical, climbable worlds. Nothing else is holy to me. That's why I have the opinion I do on this topic.

dogziler
03-02-2013, 09:14 PM
wait wait wait what if we played as some normal person perhaps like a "shaun" who is all about abstergo then after erudito hacked the abstergo entertainment, he enters the assassins and then somehow they discover "oh hes a long lost cousin to Desmond" and the modern day sequences could be kinda open world, but in the fact that you wander around until you find your way home, play some abstergo entertainment (which would be like a single player version of multiplayer, that's the intro to multiplayer for some who didn't play it) and then bam! erudito Credits, a revelation, and a chase (the Templars on his tail) and recruitment into the assassin brotherhood. something like that. just saying

Farlander1991
03-02-2013, 10:17 PM
I think the modern day storyline is a myriad of untapped potential, personally. Especially the bleeding effect. (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/756061-Why-Desmond-shouldn-t-have-had-the-Bleeding-Effect-cured-(SPOILERS)) The Bleeding Effect was such a cool concept to me, but... yeah.

When AC1 first came out, I didn't really care about the modern day storyline that much. But then it really grew on me and became a big part of what AC is to me. I'm going to be very pissed off if the just throw it away. As much as I loving exploring historical locations.