PDA

View Full Version : Oleg: AI mid-airs. Please increase formation spacing

Triple_AA
01-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Oleg: AI mid-airs. Please increase formation spacing.

They happen way to often and are a spoiler.

The only solution for the user is to order the AI to "Loosen formation. Doing so 2X seems to do the trick. But should we have to constanly do this?

By the way, the Loosen formation order only lasts as long as there's no other interferance. If you engage the enemy and regroup afterwards, the AI have forgotten the order and start flying into one another again.

Thanks you.

Triple_AA
01-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Oleg: AI mid-airs. Please increase formation spacing.

They happen way to often and are a spoiler.

The only solution for the user is to order the AI to "Loosen formation. Doing so 2X seems to do the trick. But should we have to constanly do this?

By the way, the Loosen formation order only lasts as long as there's no other interferance. If you engage the enemy and regroup afterwards, the AI have forgotten the order and start flying into one another again.

Thanks you.

SeaFireLIV
01-23-2004, 07:18 PM
I agree about AI crashing. I too have to loosen formation 2X with noob AI to avoid crashes.

But I disagree about them forgetting their formation order. I have flown with them many times and once ordered, even after battle they don`t forget.
Also, it`s the newby AI in campaign that`s particularly bad, once they`ve gained experience they`re much better.

But overall, agreed, AI (those not commanded by the player) should have a default spacing of about 2X out as a simple fix. Perhaps Oleg has something better for the Add-On soon to come. AI`s supposed to be totally overhauled in it.

SeaFireLIV...
Slowly mutating into a Hurricane Ordnance Whiner...
http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/littlelaff.jpg

[This message was edited by SeaFireLIV on Fri January 23 2004 at 06:40 PM.]

LEXX_Luthor
01-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Another solution. I have noticed that if you use only 2 aircraft formations, or at maximum, 3. This should cover everything, and if you notice, when the Leader of 4-aircraft fighter formations runs out of ammo, the other three follow him home, away from battle. I notice this mainly on AI bomber intercept missions. With twice the number of 2-aircraft fighter formations, you get double the number of Leaders.

For early WAR "ally" you can have them fly 3-fighter formations, and also limit bomber formations to 3. That diabolical 4th AI bomber always seems to be the one with anti-social behavior.

I kinda like flying tight with a wingman and looking at his/her AI skin.

oroxair
01-24-2004, 08:52 AM
And what about AI unloading its guns on you as if you were transparent ?
Does this behavior relates to AI coliding with wingmen ?

ZG77_Lignite
01-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Just as another opinion, I'd like to see the formations Tighter. I constantly give the tighten formation order. When entering a dogfight, I find this very important and usefull. I have had very few friendly crashes, less than 1% of my flights if I had to guess. This is with Dgen campaign generator, I have less experience with aftermarket DCG, though the few flights I flew with it were uneventful in this regard.