PDA

View Full Version : Why this game shouldn't and posssible couldn't star Edward

HeedfulMass4856
03-02-2013, 01:26 AM
I may get bashed for this, but honestly, I don't care.

If ACBF was to star Edward, it would cause a myriad of problems. The time gap would be too small, compared to the time gap between other roman numeral games in the franchise. Many would consider is to be a prequel-sequel to ACIII (actually, people are already ranting about this on other video game news websites and such). The fact that Edward is the grandfather of Connor is leverage enough to this argument. The other Assassins of the roman numerical games in the series have not been directly related, but interconnected by their DNA and their descendant, Desmond Miles. If Edward is the star, his close familial relationship with Haythem and Connor (the two playable characters in the last game) would be too close to consider Black Flag a whole new numerical game.

The century is too close to ACIII to be considered a roman numerical game as well; plain and simple. My god, if this game stars Edward, it would be in the same century as ACIII (unless he lived for a long time, and was a young man in the 16th century, which I highly doubt, being that he was a privateer/pirate). There would be nothing new to the events. We have fought red coats, etc. in ACIII (though not the Navy, but it would be the same, IMO). Muskets, bayonets, canons, all of that good stuff. The naval combat wouldn't be that new either, besides ships having a slightly more sinister look than the Aquila. This game would be perfect in the 16th century, IMO. Why? Because ACII, and all of it's other sequels, take place in the late 14th and early 15th century, ACIII took place in the 17th century, and I'm not even going to include ACI - the game took place is the Holy Land folks; the HOLY LAND folks. We're talking about DEEP history here (11th century, I think). Back on topic, the 16th century would be great and not too close to any of the other games in the AC franchise.

Simply put: we don't need another Kenway; we got to play as two of them in ACIII!

I've given my opinions on this, so what do you, the community, think about Edward being a playable character. I will of course be putting a poll up, as I usually do, simply because I like seeing the results, regardless of them being in favor of my argument/opinion or not.

PS: The source that says Edward is the star of the game isn't very reliable either; it was Examiner.com. :confused:

Legendz54
03-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Theres a voice clip that was removed off youtube of Connor talking about Edward as a pirate, that pretty much confirms it.

hoodrat94
03-02-2013, 01:35 AM
I just don't like the idea of having pirates in an assassin's creed game. They can easily make a new IP, just what they could do with AC3! but the title is multi-million unit seller. How many cities do you think would be there in the caribbean in 1715? Will the cities be advanced?(You don't want to climb huts!)
But if the game does work, i will definetly check it out! If it's the same thing as AC3, i won't check out any AC in future. But it's just my opinion!

Saqaliba
03-02-2013, 01:40 AM
I would personally love to see Edward Kenway as a protagonist and a Privateer! He comes across as very noble and a strong role model to Haythem in the novel. The only problem is that he dies so easily at the hands of TWO henchmen! That is a pretty lame death for a hardened Pirate, Trained Assassin and expert Swordsman. I mean, common, are we to expect that someone as brilliant as Ezio, Altair, Haythem or Connor would be so easily put to the grave by two meagre henchmen.

If he is half the swordsman Haythem became, then this is already a lame way to end an Assassin, not to mention, with this in mind how are we supposed to play the game seriously already knowing he has a lame fate ! ! !

D.I.D.
03-02-2013, 02:07 AM
The way you count centuries is wrong. We're in the 21st century now, until Jan 1st 2101 (but we're stupid and impatient, so people will celebrate it the start of the new century in New Year's Day 2100 regardless) when the 22nd century will begin. All your century counts are a hundred years out.

[edit] I'll explain properly. The 1st century was year 1 (since we wouldn't start with year zero) until a hundred years later. So when Ezio was running about in the early 1500s, that's the 16th century.

BoeserBengel83
03-02-2013, 02:25 AM
I would personally love to see Edward Kenway as a protagonist and a Privateer! He comes across as very noble and a strong role model to Haythem in the novel. The only problem is that he dies so easily at the hands of TWO henchmen! That is a pretty lame death for a hardened Pirate, Trained Assassin and expert Swordsman. I mean, common, are we to expect that someone as brilliant as Ezio, Altair, Haythem or Connor would be so easily put to the grave by two meagre henchmen.

If he is half the swordsman Haythem became, then this is already a lame way to end an Assassin, not to mention, with this in mind how are we supposed to play the game seriously already knowing he has a lame fate ! ! !

We only know this moment, his so called "final breath", we don't know what happened before, maybe he and his Assassins (if he has allies) survived an heavy attack just because of luck. In my opinion the chances to see that "common" things can happen makes AC more interesting. I don't need the 100% drama and action, that happens in every Hollywood movie.

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 05:07 AM
None of these are "problems" per se, they are just breaking the established rule and I see no problem with that. Have you considered that the reason behind this game carrying a nuber is something important happens on the modern side? Probably we're getting a new modern character as well? Wouldn't be fair to start off his career with a non-numbered title would it?

I just don't like the idea of having pirates in an assassin's creed game. They can easily make a new IP, just what they could do with AC3! but the title is multi-million unit seller. How many cities do you think would be there in the caribbean in 1715? Will the cities be advanced?(You don't want to climb huts!)

If nothing, many Caribbean cities at that tie were larger than Boston and New York.

hoodrat94
03-02-2013, 06:02 AM
It's totally my opinion, i don't like their ideas regarding AC3 ad upcoming 4 and i won't buy this game.

Can you name those cities for me please? And how are they advanced(talking about cities in AC2-in 1480's) compared to European cities at that time(1715)?

D.I.D.
03-02-2013, 06:33 AM
It's totally my opinion, i don't like their ideas regarding AC3 ad upcoming 4 and i won't buy this game.

Can you name those cities for me please? And how are they advanced(talking about cities in AC2-in 1480's) compared to European cities at that time(1715)?

It's a misconception that you'd only find huts. In the 1700s Havana (Cuba) was the third biggest city in the Americas, smaller than Mexico City and Lima, but much bigger than New York and Boston. People were putting a lot of money into the most stable Caribbean islands, and there were over 70,000 permanent residents in Havana alone (and many more staying temporarily or passing through). If they feature Havana, it's going to be busy. There were massive fortress complexes too.

That's Havana in the background, 1600s:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Panorama_of_La_Habana_(Amsterdam%2C_17th_century). jpg/718px-Panorama_of_La_Habana_(Amsterdam%2C_17th_century). jpg

Late 1700s, significantly expanded:
http://www.aenet.org/manila-expo/p25ima5.jpg

Havana's cathedral, 1762:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Dominic_Serres_the_Elder_-_The_Cathedral_at_Havana%2C_August-September_1762.jpg/800px-Dominic_Serres_the_Elder_-_The_Cathedral_at_Havana%2C_August-September_1762.jpg

InfectedNation
03-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks DoubleclickTF that looks really awesome, but I just hope they can make it look distinct enough from Constantinople :/

Also at this point in the franchise, I'd much rather have a protagonist we have been introduced to and is linked to the previous one than somebody completely new. Plus it's likely that Ratonhnhake:ton will be linked into the story somehow :)

pacmanate
03-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Have to agree with OP. Why do we need to play a game with Connor, Haytham AND Edward. What is the boxset going to be called? Assassin's Creed - Kenway Edition? I also agree the time gap is too small. I don't know :\

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Have to agree with OP. Why do we need to play a game with Connor, Haytham AND Edward. What is the boxset going to be called? Assassin's Creed - Kenway Edition? I also agree the time gap is too small. I don't know :\

We also didn't need to play as Ezio for three games, but we did it anyway. I'm sure there is a good enough reason to visit grandpa Edi (I hope.. if it's one of those Abstergo Entertainment product then I'm going to kill a puppy.)

Layytez
03-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Yeah the gap is too small. Altair treatment would have sufficed but they may give him the Connor treatment and not have him from beginning to end. (which I would prefer). I want a NEW time period not 100 years prior. Where is my ancient Greece ? >.> and I swear to god if they fuuck up the modern storyline and they First Civ again i'm done with them.

AherasSTRG
03-02-2013, 01:20 PM
I do not know if the guy that created this thread gets stuck on mere numbers or he is just ignorant of Modern History. The era of the American revolution has NOTHING to do with the era of piracy. The culture as well as the geographical locations in which the events take place are completely different. So, for everyone that wants to learn some things about the historical context in which the game will take place, be my guest...
In the early 18th century (that is from 1701 - 1800), half of the world was in a state of colonization. What is colonization? Big countries made discoveries (in Africa, America and Australia), enslaved the natives and used the raw materials of the colonies to expand their economic and military power both in land and sea. The biggest european empire by then was Spain who was controlling the vast majority of the colonies (Christopher Columbus claimed Cental America for Spain after all). The other forces of Europe, e.g. France who was in control of today's Canada and England who controlled the rest of Northren America and some parts to the east, became increasingly insecure by the great Spanish power. In the blink of an eye, Queen Anne's War starts and the allied forces of Spain and France stand again an ever evolving English land and naval army. And that was when privateering became a fancy.
Privateers were wealthy individuals capable of manning ships and owners of a governemental "marque", which allowed them to capture or take down foreign flagged ships when seen in the open sea. Because the reward was higher when the ship was captured, but not destroyed, fights were not only naval, but included sparring on the decks of the ships. Captains themselves were expert swordsmen (as they usually came from royal or aristocratic families). Privateering in those days was considered to be a very respected occupation since it combined patriotism with personal gain.
However, the truce that was signed after the Spano-english war, forced all european countries to lower their naval war activities. Many privateers along with their crew were left without a job. At the same time, the seize of military activities in the Atlantic enforced the trading between the Europe, Africa and America (a route which was later called, the triangular trading route). Sailors with nothing to do + Trading ships along the coastlines = piracy. And that is how the Golden Age of Piracy (a term which was later used by the american historian Redliker) begins.
The Golden Age of Piracy spanned from 1715 to 1726. During that time, pirating raids against ships and harbours in Western Africa and America were so many that the gold stolen cannot be calculated even today. Contrary to the general misconception, pirates were very well organised. Especially in the area of Carribean we can see several pirate forts, like Fort Royal, Hispaniola, Naussea in the Bahamas and others. Piratic cities, like the one in Cuba were far larger than Boston or New York. Just imagine a place in which all of the infamous people of the age go. Well, that place would be bigger than any other in the whole world. It should also be pointed out that, unlike general belief, piracy was usually used by the european governments for other purposes as well (e.g. England directs the pirates to strike Spanish trading routes to interrupt commerce).
The Golden Age of Piracy ends with the hanging of several pirates (=assassins?) by the English Royal Navy (=Templars?), after a tremendous effort of the British empire to stop pirating raids against trading ships moving towards the New World.

Well, by now, dear reader, I am certain you have seen that the protagonists and the feeling of the era is nothing like the ones of the American Revolution. It does not matter what century it is or how the main character is named, the two periods are TOTALLY different and offer great opportunities for an Assassin's Creed game.
This series is NOT about saying "oh, we made a game in the 15th century, one for the 16th, one for the 10th, oh ma god, we are so badass"
It's not about the numbers or the character's name.
This series is about exploring DIFFERENT ERAS that marked modern or ancient history and deliver a different feeling each time. It's about being badass, as a Holy Land Warrior, as a Fiorentine Aristocrat, as a Mohawk Freedom Fighting Berserker, as an Assassin Sea Wolf!

montagemik
03-02-2013, 03:31 PM
I do not know if the guy that created this thread gets stuck on mere numbers or he is just ignorant of Modern History. The era of the American revolution has NOTHING to do with the era of piracy. The culture as well as the geographical locations in which the events take place are completely different. So, for everyone that wants to learn some things about the historical context in which the game will take place, be my guest...

Well, by now, dear reader, I am certain you have seen that the protagonists and the feeling of the era is nothing like the ones of the American Revolution. It does not matter what century it is or how the main character is named, the two periods are TOTALLY different and offer great opportunities for an Assassin's Creed game.
This series is NOT about saying "oh, we made a game in the 15th century, one for the 16th, one for the 10th, oh ma god, we are so badass"
It's not about the numbers or the character's name.
This series is about exploring DIFFERENT ERAS that marked modern or ancient history and deliver a different feeling each time. It's about being badass, as a Holy Land Warrior, as a Fiorentine Aristocrat, as a Mohawk Freedom Fighting Berserker, as an Assassin Sea Wolf!

Thanks for the Pirate 'Discovery channel' narrative. (joking)

But i'm with the OP on this point - Too close to Connor's timeline IMO , Unless this edward adventure is some kind of Memory oddysey for Connor reliving / telling his own ancestors story - like AC-R was for Desmond ------- Then i'm not overly excited by the prospect of being a Frkn Assassin Sailor .
If it somehow is relevant to continuing Connor's story ,then i'll give it the benefit of the doubt ............That could be why it has a Numbered & SUB title .
(Kind of like AC4 Black flag is part 1 if you like - with AC-4 part 2 with more Connor coming later, Because AC-3 seems like only half of Connors story to me)

D.I.D.
03-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks DoubleclickTF that looks really awesome, but I just hope they can make it look distinct enough from Constantinople :/

I think they've got to feature Havana, quite possibly as a base city from which all the journeys are made. If so, it's going to look like a bit of a mash of lots of places we've seen before.

We'll see Spanish buildings, which by the time of the setting will be about two hundred years old (and I expect that domed tall sea tower is one of them). Those buildings are going to carry the Moors' influence tempered with existing European styles. There were a few waves of rebuilding in Classicist styles, so it's going to feel like a transplanted European city in many ways. Unfortunately most of the really tall buildings came too late for the game, towards the late 1800s/early 1900s, but there were still many buildings of a decent size. Most won't be taller than three storeys, so in some ways it will feel like Constantinople (I realise you were referring to the ships massed in the sea channel rather than the architecture!) because people weren't forced to build upwards yet. The good part is that it will change a lot during the course of the story, with new large buildings emerging and some being expanded, which is something I liked about AC2.

FirestarLuva
03-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the Pirate 'Discovery channel' narrative. (joking)

But i'm with the OP on this point - Too close to Connor's timeline IMO , Unless this edward adventure is some kind of Memory oddysey for Connor reliving / telling his own ancestors story - like AC-R was for Desmond ------- Then i'm not overly excited by the prospect of being a Frkn Assassin Sailor .
If it somehow is relevant to continuing Connor's story ,then i'll give it the benefit of the doubt ............That could be why it has a Numbered & SUB title .
(Kind of like AC4 Black flag is part 1 if you like - with AC-4 part 2 with more Connor coming later, Because AC-3 seems like only half of Connors story to me)

Seems possible.
They said there won't be any more trilogies, so maybe AC4 will actually be a duology, Black Flags is the first part that will feature Edward, and maybe there'll be modern day sequences with Connor relieving Edward's memories through a memory seal, I mean, shouldn't there be a reason why the time gap is so small?
And the second part of the duology will feature Connor, coming out in 2014. While BF is released this year the AC3 team will work on the AC4 Connor sequel next year. Fans asked them on their fb what they plan to do with Connor and they said to wait until monday. This would be an interesting step to take.

itsamea-mario
03-02-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm actually liking this edward guy...

hellomrdarcy
03-02-2013, 03:53 PM
What is the boxset going to be called? Assassin's Creed - Kenway Edition?

bwahahha this actually made me lol, even if I'm not totally agreeing with u. :p

Assassin_Banana
03-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Seems possible.
They said there won't be any more trilogies, so maybe AC4 will actually be a duology, Black Flags is the first part that will feature Edward, and maybe there'll be modern day sequences with Connor relieving Edward's memories through a memory seal, I mean, shouldn't there be a reason why the time gap is so small?
And the second part of the duology will feature Connor, coming out in 2014. While BF is released this year the AC3 team will work on the AC4 Connor sequel next year. Fans asked them on their fb what they plan to do with Connor and they said to wait until monday. This would be an interesting step to take.

Let's hope they don't give up on Connor and Aveline yet :P

Assasseffect
03-02-2013, 10:34 PM
You're a pirate, you have a ship. Ships being the prime/only form of long distance travel at that time. The game could easily take place in cities outside the Carribean.