PDA

View Full Version : ME-jet how to controll him on the ground ?

Milkywhite
01-28-2004, 03:34 PM
my question is simple ? how can u drive around with the german me-jet ? i use rudder but it does not work ! aarrgh,...
someone told me that u may not use trttle too hard or ur motor will burn... nice to know eh ?? :P
please tell me how to drive around :P

Milkywhite
01-28-2004, 03:34 PM
my question is simple ? how can u drive around with the german me-jet ? i use rudder but it does not work ! aarrgh,...
someone told me that u may not use trttle too hard or ur motor will burn... nice to know eh ?? :P
please tell me how to drive around :P

Sturmtrooper
01-28-2004, 03:47 PM
The best way to "drive around" is by controling the thrust of each engine seperately (you should be doing this anyway) . Map engine 1 and engine 2 controls to whatever keys you want . When sitting on the tarmac increase (slowly !) the thrust of your left engine , you will move to the right . When you are lined up and pointing the way that you want , decrease thrust to 0% and hit button to control both engines (also mapped). Power up (slowly) and you will start to move forward . By vectoring the thrust this way , you can steer the jet while on the ground .

Nissan 300ZX V-6,DOHC,Twin Turbocharged,2970cc,300+hp - What I drive .

SpremeCommander
01-28-2004, 04:14 PM
You can use rudder only but you have to stand on the brakes while you do it.

SKULLS Virga
01-28-2004, 04:23 PM
The 262 is steered by differential braking - it did not have nose wheel steering. This is modelled in FB by moving the rudder left or right and then hitting the brakes. If you move the rudder full left and then hit b for brake only the left brake engages and the aircraft will turn.

Lewallen8579
01-28-2004, 05:12 PM
I've found the best way is to run up both throttles to about 70 or 80 percent, and then steer with the rudder by letting the speed get up to about 20 or 30 kph and then hit the brakes while your rudder is deflected until you slow back down. This usually allows me to steer fairly effectively, though the plane could really benefit from some nose-wheel steering, and weight be damned...

~Sam

--
If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties.
-Francis Bacon

noshens
01-28-2004, 05:21 PM
I do it easy way, hold brakes until I move throttle to 100 and then release brakes and take off across the field, warn your friends before taking off though http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kyrule2
01-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Using seperate engine thrust is one way to do it, but make sure you take throttle back down to where you started (when you selected left or right engine) before hitting "select all engines", otherwise you risk a flame-out due to sudden decrease or exploding the engine due to sudden increase.

Alot of the time I use the lazy way, put throttle at 45% and tap brake and use rudder. 45% gives you enough power to get going again fairly quickly if you brake too much and if done right you can steer it perfectly while continuously tapping brake in specific intervals.

http://www.brooksart.com/Icewarriors.jpg

"Ice Warriors" by Nicolas Trudgian

mortoma
01-28-2004, 08:48 PM
No!! You shouldn't steer on the ground by differential thrust, this was not permitted by
LW trainers and the ME-262 pilot manual strictly
forbad it. In real life they steered only by
differential braking. Problem is that Oleg made the 262 in this game much harder to steer than the real thing. I have seen archive films LW piots steering them on the ground on a dime and seemingly effortlessly. The one I saw on film started rolling from a standing start, and immediately the pilot hit the left brake and it literally stood on it's left wheel and spun 90 degrees so fast it looked like it was too easy. Again we are failed by the folks at Maddox. But
if you want to do it the way they did it in RL, steer clear ( pun intended ) of using engine thrust. I use only the diff. braking method, it's hard to do in this game but the only realistic way to do it.

ELEM
01-29-2004, 04:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Milkywhite:
please tell me how to drive around :P<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The differential braking works fine for me although it is sluggish. Just like the real thing.

I wouldn't join any club that would have ME as member!

Rajvosa
01-29-2004, 04:48 AM
While we are at it, how fast (slow) do you guys open the throttle(s) om 262? I usually burn the engines before ever reaching the endo of taxi runway. Bad pilot, I know http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Golf GTI Edition 2.0 16v (Rest In Pieces!)

WOLFMondo
01-29-2004, 05:21 AM
I use the engine thrust to control its turning on the ground. As for thrust I build up relativly slowly with 20% on 1 engine and use the other as the engine to turn with. Once on the end of the runway I apply the brakes and increase the throttle slowly to 82% (seems that the max thrust before overheat on the ground). The release once the thrust has built up. Other people might have other or better methods but mine works for me.

CH_D-Fender
01-29-2004, 08:52 AM
ME-jet how to controll him on the ground ?

He is a her ! And she is a beauty !

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mortoma
02-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Elem wrote:
"The differential braking works fine for me although it is sluggish. Just like the real thing."

Wrong!! In RL the 262 was a cinch to turn on the ground.........

eeonel
02-03-2004, 09:05 AM
--Again we are failed by the folks at Maddox

Mortoma. The obscenity filter prevents me from posting what I really feel about little people who post unnecessary, snide and rude comments about such little things.

Dunkelgrun
02-03-2004, 09:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eeonel:
--Again we are failed by the folks at Maddox

Mortoma. The obscenity filter prevents me from posting what I really feel about little people who post unnecessary, snide and rude comments about such little things.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. That's a hell of a way to introduce yourself to the IL-2 forums, with a first post like that.
Suggest you have a rethink.

http://www.uploadit.org/igmusapa/tft2.jpg
www.nightbomber.com (http://www.nightbomber.com)

eeonel
02-03-2004, 11:23 AM
First post under this account, lost my main account in the recent forum moves

His posting history is constructive & my apologies if I did misinterpret the comment.

If I did not misinterpret it then it is still ill-mannered & unnecessary and worthy of a hostile response.

Stille-NachT
02-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Well...
As you may have witnessed yourself in Il2(which is very realistic!!!) Changing the engine intensity too frequently ends with a nice barbeque just near the cockpit to the left or right, nice for those lazy moments when sat in cockpit with a mcdonalds drive through meal, thats gone a bit cold.

See the ME was built so that the cooling of the engine would be given once in flight, very...very carefully the throttle would be applied in one direction only...(UP) to get the desired speed. See if your putting speed up then putting it down then up again, well this isn't a present day jet egine is it, it wasn't the most durable of things. You have drawbacks to such hi tech air weapnory of the time.
Look at the M50 boost of the late BF's...
A short burst was used, because anylonger than that, and the engine was caput.

Great german pilots use gravity for there throttle, and not so much of the engine..
Hence a good banking turn to get up that air power...or a quick pull up for a slow down..or dive for a speed burst.

The rudder brake manover is not only the method for me's turning on the rungway but all planes. It says so in the manual. I know we all have our methods in this game, but nothing was more important that the egine in a prop during WW2, and constant throttle changes were walways avioded, so was baking an aircraft at high speed left or right.

The Me is quite fragile, and should be handel'd so on full settings.

If on easy well...forget everything i've said.

Don't mean to bore you all, just thought I'd chip in.

mortoma
02-03-2004, 09:28 PM
A couple exclamation points and self-assurance does not hostility make, nor was anything smart-allecky intended by that post I made. Sorry about that guys!! You have taken it wrong.
Well, in any case that was far from my first post.
More like about 650 or so... Getting back to the main subject of the 262 taxi, I can only say I'm so sure it had to be easy to taxi based on the film I saw. Picture a 262 throttled up a bit, parked and then the pilot lets off the brakes, then he goes only a few feet forward, stomps on the left toe brake and it just spins around 90 degrees while the left wheel nearly stays put. That's what I saw. Kind of reminds me of the way I can spin a Cessna 172 around on pavement easily ( harder to do on grass ). I also plan to get in touch with those people who are building new 262s somewhere out west and ask them to substantiate what I have claimed. Hopefully Oleg will change the taxiing for the 262 to make it easier. I hope so because I fly it offline in campaigns quite a bit.

mortoma
02-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Oh, and I didn't mean that Maddox fails us in big ways or in most ways. Only a little bit in niggling and minor things. Overall the game is the best. The ridiculously hard to taxi 262 is one small way in which they botched something ( in my opinion ). I'm just not one of those "FB is perfect" people. There are those in this forum who visciously attack anything posted that is not total praise for FB. Personally, I happen to post both good and bad opinions ( alway have ) on the game and feel all people have a right to do that. That's what forums are for!! All opinions should be welcome. People who don't like my posts should simply ignore my posts. But I should have clarified my true and full feelings for the game in my first post in this thread and not posted only that negative sentiment.

Huckebein_FW
02-03-2004, 09:50 PM
mortoma is right, I have the movie. If you try to turn Me-262 on the ground as fast the real pilots did you will surely damage something. I might find the movie hosted somewhere, no promises though. Unfortunatelly I cannot host it.

http://home.comcast.net/~bogdandone/me262_steinhoff.jpg