PDA

View Full Version : ToKW: (Plot speculation Thread) *Possible SPOILERS*

feclmunday
02-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Well here is my tuppecne on the plot. Massive Speculation Follows...(And Spoliers of everything obviously)

In the openning montage you see a shot of Washington and Connor argueing in a clearing. this immediatly suggested to me that they were confronting one another over what to do with a Piece of Eden. The lucid memory video where Washington is seeking Connor out as he prepares to camp for the night seemed to point towards this thesis.

They argue over what to do with the PoE, activate it by accident and get sucked in to the "dream world". You then are woken up as Raton. (in the same clearing?) by your mother and the game begins. Washington is using the PoE to control some, like Benjamin Franklyn (what you need to frree him from is not a prison but Washington's hold over him Arnold and Putnam between them imply), and others like Putnam seem to be along for the ride for a desire of power. So far so Bonfire of the Vanities except with characters that Americans have heard of.

Obviously the plot of the series is to confront Washington sieze the PoE and shut it off, waking you up from the dream world and giving a salutory lessons that "absolute power corrupts absolutely", even heroes like GW.

Seems fairly straightforward, and I've enjoyed the ride so far even if Episode 1 was a bit short. However as Ubi likes throwing curve balls is there anything more? Could it be that GW was looking for Connor to help him hide the PoE (Connor has delt with 2 of them already after all)? Could it be that Connor instead told GW to stop hiding from his responsiblities and use it instead? Could you in fact be playing as GW and trying to stop Connor? A few reasons why:

1) There is no Animus narative framing. Desmond has merged with Minerva/killed himself/whatever. The story doesnt necessarily rely on genetic memory anymore.
2) You look like a proper "savage". none of the other members of Ratton's tribe do. Maybe this is just so you look badass, but if you look at what the writers have been saying about white messiah tropes in Far Cry 3 then there could be a playing with GW's expectations of what Native Americans are like. That's why you're now wearing crazy wolf skins and going on spirit journeys in your dream world when Connor never did in real life.
3) Following on from this everyone speaks English, well GW doesn't speak Mohawk now does he? (or Ubi just ran out of money and time...)
4) Washinton was portrayed as a pretty timid guy full of self doubt. Connor keeps on trying to get him to face up to his responsiblities (like at the game of bowls in NY after the main game). Washington is still filled with doubts in ToKW, when he burns the village he needs his lieutenants to confirm their loyalty to him. When GW finds the PoE he asks Connor to hide it, but Connor instead insists GW uses it "for good" then it turns on and shows you what would happen if you just went around useing PoE's willy nilly.
5) It would be a pretty cool bait and switch right up there with the Haytham is a Templar one at the begining of the game. It would also give a reason for why the next AC won't use Connor. Redeemed but now unsure of himself Connor will "diminish and go into the West". Freeing up the sequel for another character.

TLDR Would be fun if you are GW trying to stop Connor.

What do you guys think?

Abeonis
02-21-2013, 02:23 AM
1) There is no Animus narative framing. Desmond has merged with Minerva/killed himself/whatever. The story doesnt necessarily rely on genetic memory anymore.
2) You look like a proper "savage". none of the other members of Ratton's tribe do. Maybe this is just so you look badass, but if you look at what the writers have been saying about white messiah tropes in Far Cry 3 then there could be a playing with GW's expectations of what Native Americans are like. That's why you're now wearing crazy wolf skins and going on spirit journeys in your dream world when Connor never did in real life.
3) Following on from this everyone speaks English, well GW doesn't speak Mohawk now does he? (or Ubi just ran out of money and time...)
4) Washinton was portrayed as a pretty timid guy full of self doubt. Connor keeps on trying to get him to face up to his responsiblities (like at the game of bowls in NY after the main game). Washington is still filled with doubts in ToKW, when he burns the village he needs his lieutenants to confirm their loyalty to him. When GW finds the PoE he asks Connor to hide it, but Connor instead insists GW uses it "for good" then it turns on and shows you what would happen if you just went around useing PoE's willy nilly.
5) It would be a pretty cool bait and switch right up there with the Haytham is a Templar one at the begining of the game. It would also give a reason for why the next AC won't use Connor. Redeemed but now unsure of himself Connor will "diminish and go into the West". Freeing up the sequel for another character.

TLDR Would be fun if you are GW trying to stop Connor.

What do you guys think?

1) There has been no "Animus narative [sic] framing" yet; and even that is debatable if you consider Ratonhnhaké:ton reaction at the start of one of the missions. (I won't say which to avoid spoilers). Regardless, the game is still tied into the idea of genetic memories, as the practice of synchronisation, fragmented memories and the likes are still prevalent throughout.

2) What does Raton clothing have to do with anything? I dress completely different to several English people I know, I'm still English. Granted, an argument could be made that the stereotypes(?) ToKW panders to regarding Native American culture could be a result of GW's own views (according to your theory), but the same could also be said that it is appealing to Desmond's stereotypical views as well.

3) I fail to see how this point supports your theory. On the otherhand, if Desmond's conciousness, which I believe has been uploaded to 'the Cloud' is viewing these memories without an Animus, it could be argued that the languages are translating automatically due to an advanced form of bleeding effect. To quote Shaun Hastings in ACII: "What we're saying, Desmond, is if you're not careful, you may not need the Animus to visit your ancestors. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, assuming you could control it. Up until now, though, no-one has."

4) Again, this doesn't support your argument and is entirely speculative.

5) Again, this doesn't support your argument and is entirely speculative; further, it is based on the assumption that this so-called "new protagonist" is replacing Connor, and not Desmond.

Auditore8
02-21-2013, 04:23 AM
Honestly, I think Connor will be the one to go mad with power. When you acquire the Wolf Powers he does say "No one could stop me with this kind of power". I think in the end, Connor will become the real villain

Farlander1991
02-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Honestly, I think Connor will be the one to go mad with power. When you acquire the Wolf Powers he does say "No one could stop me with this kind of power". I think in the end, Connor will become the real villain

That makes sense. A case of how Apple of Eden may corrupt and drive somebody mad with power, and what kind of person you have to become to stop a tyrant like that.

Assassin_M
02-21-2013, 05:00 AM
I can see becoming like the last scene before the ring`s destruction of the final Lord of the Rings....

feclmunday
02-21-2013, 08:19 PM
I can see becoming like the last scene before the ring`s destruction of the final Lord of the Rings....

Exactly I just see the obvious Connor saves the day ending as too straight forward. This DLC series gives Ubi an oportunity to explain why the next game will feature a new Assassin, and close off Conor's story.

FirestarLuva
02-22-2013, 12:59 AM
Exactly I just see the obvious Connor saves the day ending as too straight forward. This DLC series gives Ubi an oportunity to explain why the next game will feature a new Assassin, and close off Conor's story.

They never said they're going to close Connor's story when they announced the new AC. For all we know, this 'new protagonist' may refer to new modern day character and Connor as the new character's ancestor.
And with Connor becoming the real villian. I agree with that. It would be nice twist and doesn't seem too far-fetched if you ask me.
And to be honest, Connor doesn't have anything else to lose. He's already lost everything, watched his mother die again, his village burnt to the ground, not only the apple, but I think Connor's tragedies will also be the reason for him to succumb into madness.
Here's what the creative director said about this;

Yes, he's totally aware of it. He knows something is wrong and something doesn't gel. The more he becomes embedded in this reality, the harder it is for him to separate himself, and by the end he will have a choice to stay or leave.

He also said by episode 2 Connor will start to lose knowledge of who he really is. Raton, out to avenge his mother, or Connor, the assassin.
Poor Connor, hope he doesn't lose it completely. He's already such a strong character after all he's been through, and has managed to move on, but this is too much for him. :'(
*gasp*
This got me thinking. What if, Connor becomes the villain in AC4?! We've never seen a protagonist become the antagonist in later games so this will be something new. Not to mention, everybody loves the evil-guy-with-a-tragic-past kind of character.
I can just imagine the final battle...Press X to kill Connor...
*criesforever*

Krayus Korianis
02-22-2013, 01:04 AM
i can see becoming like the last scene before the ring`s destruction of the final lord of the rings....
nooooooooo! Not the precioooooouuuuuusssss!

feclmunday
03-20-2013, 04:13 AM
Well having now played most of the Betrail I have to think that Connor is definatly a wrong'un.

Washington shows Connor the apple in the lucid memory and presumably at that point he goes for it.

Your animal powers drain your health and allow you to butcher people. What have we seen that does that before? The Apple in brotherhood of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if the apple thinks that connor can't be corrupted by the promise of power but will be willing to sacrifice what is necessary to suceed. So the visions it gives him are a world where he needs to use its powers to "save" it. And so he does.

Salutory moral lesson upcoming!

I-Like-Pie45
03-20-2013, 05:00 AM

He would be the coolest dad ever.

Black_Widow9
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
I edited the Title in case of spoilers. I'm not saying it is at all but let's try not to ruin things for people just in case.

OSantaClownO
03-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Most of your points doesn't really support your argument of us not actually being in the Animus.

Also if may I add that you actually said the everyone speaks English - that actually do the contrary of supporting your argument, Abstergo animus has been able to translate languages.