PDA

View Full Version : PoP PC Gamepad not even recognized? Remap disabled?

XyZspineZyX
12-28-2003, 08:41 PM
I have the Logitech Wingman Cordless Rumblepad Xtreme.

At first I could not get PoP:SoT to recognize the controller at all. I ran the Wingman Profiler, mapped the gamepad to the default keys PoP:SoT uses, and loaded the game with it pointing to PrinceOfPersia.exe. It wouldn't recognize it at all.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled. It occurred to me that I had the program installed before I had the gamepad plugged in. So now, with the gamepad plugged in, I reinstalled. Now the mouse cursor just keeps flying to one random side of the screen when PoP:SoT loads up, and I still can't remap the keys. The Right Analog Stick functions as a mouse, but since the cursor flies around, it is unusable. Nothing else on the gamepad works - I mapped W, S, A, D to both the D-Pad and the Left Analog Stick on subsequent attempts to get this working and neither get recognized when I press the appropriate key/direction. I also mapped the Left Mouse Button to a key and that doesn't work in PoP:SoT.

Help!

XyZspineZyX
12-28-2003, 08:41 PM
I have the Logitech Wingman Cordless Rumblepad Xtreme.

At first I could not get PoP:SoT to recognize the controller at all. I ran the Wingman Profiler, mapped the gamepad to the default keys PoP:SoT uses, and loaded the game with it pointing to PrinceOfPersia.exe. It wouldn't recognize it at all.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled. It occurred to me that I had the program installed before I had the gamepad plugged in. So now, with the gamepad plugged in, I reinstalled. Now the mouse cursor just keeps flying to one random side of the screen when PoP:SoT loads up, and I still can't remap the keys. The Right Analog Stick functions as a mouse, but since the cursor flies around, it is unusable. Nothing else on the gamepad works - I mapped W, S, A, D to both the D-Pad and the Left Analog Stick on subsequent attempts to get this working and neither get recognized when I press the appropriate key/direction. I also mapped the Left Mouse Button to a key and that doesn't work in PoP:SoT.

Help!

XyZspineZyX
12-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Okay I got my gamepad working. I had to make it a "global profile" to get it to work.

XyZspineZyX
12-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Why they didn't just use some standard DirectPLAY for this I'll never know, nor will I ever see how this made it past QA.

I am having the same problem you were, though I have the normal wireless rumblepad. Can you give me a step by step of how you got it to work? Playing with the keyboard and mouse for this game is kind of annoying, seeing as it was made for pads.

XyZspineZyX
12-30-2003, 06:25 AM
What I did was this:

I went into the manual and noted all the keys that were set by default.

Then I went into the Wingman Profiler and made the following configuration:

[A] mapped as "Left Mouse Button" (Attack)
[B] mapped as "Spacebar" (Jump)
[C] mapped as "C" (Cancel)
[X] mapped as "Right Mouse Button" (Special Move)
[Z] mapped as "E" (Use Dagger)
[Left Trigger #1] mapped as "Shift" (Toggle Walk/Run)
[Left Trigger #2] mapped as "R" (Rewind)

I forget what I did for the Right Triggers.

Then I added the following keys:

Up = "W"
Down = "S"
Left = "A"
Right = "D"

I then mapped these to the LEFT ANALOG STICK (didn't work very well when I added them to the D-Pad). I made the Left Stick X-Axis use Left and Right and the Left Stick Y-Axis use Up and Down. The RIGHT ANALOG STICK I went into "Axis Properties..." and set it as the corresponding Mouse Axes (i.e. for Right Stick X-Axis, I selected Mouse X-Axis, and for the Right Stick Y-Axis, I selected Mouse Y-Axis).

But that's not where the fun ends! You think you're all set at this point, but unfortunately, the game doesn't seem to recognize the gamepad at all except for the RIGHT ANALOG STICK, and the cursor will not remain standing (it will move in one direction as if the calibration was off).

To get around this, do the following. In Wingman Explorer, go to the drop down menus...go to "Options" and then hit the top button ("Global Profiler Settings..."). Once in there, simply change "Apply profiles to games automatically" to "Apply persistent profile" and select the Prince of Persia configuration you just created. Hit "Ok" and then load up Prince of Persia. Should work flawlessly.

NOTE: Make sure you change that setting back within the Global Profiler Settings,.otherwise any program will inherit those key configurations, including Microsoft Word, Notepad, Minesweeper, whatever. If you accidentally bang into your gamepad, you might end up getting a stream of characters somewhere you might not want them.

Annoying workaround, but it does work.

Good luck! Ask me if you have any other questions.

XyZspineZyX
01-01-2004, 07:07 AM
Have you tried to set your throttle button in the middle? Seems like if it's either to the extreme left or right by clicking the right pane in the keyborad alternate config it default to L y axis +/-!! Setting it in the middle enabled me to directly select IN the game! (Had similar probl with SplinterCell. Throttle would make Sam spin indefinitely!)

My Rig
OS Windows XP build 2600 SP1
Pentium IV 2.53Gig
Mobo Via FSB 533 DDR 333/400 agp 8x
1024Mb RAM DDR 266
ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 pro 128Mb
Creative Audigy Mp3
Western Digital 120Gig 7200rpm
Aopen Cd writer 12x10x32
HL-DT-ST 16x DVD-ROM (Don't ask!)
Optical Wireless Intellimouse Explorer (USB)
Logitech Wingman Cordless gamepad (USB)
NEC Flatscreen LCD Multisync 1700v

http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/bnifiles/demon.gif

XyZspineZyX
01-04-2004, 01:03 AM
I'm using an Airflow Pc controller. It doesn't even recognizes it. How do I do it? I'm using WinXP Pro btw