PDA

View Full Version : Is the dlc worth getting?

UnlistedBeatle
02-19-2013, 11:54 PM
I've been putting off getting the season pass to wait and see what the reviews for this are like. I've read the professional reviews but I'm also interested in what others think. Most of the topics about TOKW have spoilers so I'm just looking from opinions from people. Is it fun and is there a lot of things to do such as side quests and collectibles? And is the 2 1/2 hour play time accurate? That's the main thing really I look for when it comes to parting with money.

Captain Tomatoz
02-20-2013, 12:18 AM
The story took me 1 1/2 hours. (not including fast travel) which is very short and an hour short of promised. There are a tonne of chests, some of them are lock picking ones and some are just a press button to open ones. Most of the chests just have ammo in but some have weapons and upgrades. The were is save starving citizen side content that is just a press button to talk and you've completed it (which is pointless and stupid to even have in the game) The only side content worth doing is the convoys (same as main game but saving prisoners instead of getting money) and the lucid memory fragments that give you a nice little mystery to the story.

The story is okay but its very strange and, for me, dragged on a bit sometimes. The best bit about the DLC in my opinion is being able to go invisible and summon a pack of invisible wolves.

I would love to recommend it too you but I really can't. It just wasn't worth the money I spent on it and its a shame because I really wanted to like this DLC

Lass4r
02-20-2013, 12:32 AM
To me the DLC was surprisingly fresh and surprisingly long. I don't know how people race through content twice as fast as me. For 9,99, if you're a moderate AC fan, I would definitely say it's worth it.

Rob327
02-20-2013, 12:34 AM
I'd probably just wait until the last one comes out, make an assessment, and buy them all in one swoop. No sense going from an an hour and a half, to another next month. It's only a couple a more months until it's done. At that point people will probably get alot more of a sense of where this is going. Right now, if you unlocked or bought Outfits in the main campaign, you can't use them here. At the same time, if you like the one Outfit they give you here, you can't use it on the Campaign. Too many unanswered questions. Who knows, i don't think these DLC's are really going anywhere. By then you'll probably see a price drop anyway.

LightRey
02-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Meh.

SaintPerkele
02-20-2013, 03:27 AM
Comparing it to previous AC DLCs - Bonfire of Vanities, Battle of Forlė and Da Vinci Disappearance - I'd say it's probably longer than each of them. If you are just in for the story and short of money, don't get it and watch the walkthroughs on Youtube. If you want to explore the 'new' Frontier (I had great fun doing this) and you love to challenge yourself a bit even if you are not obliged to do so, there are quite a lot of ways to do that in the DLC. I enjoyed it, but the story could have been a bit longer - not based on previous DLCs or the price, but on the fact that they actually recreated the whole Frontier map in smaller scale and did only use some parts of it. Characters that were introduced never had a deeper connection to Connor, which was somewhat disappointing too.

SixKeys
02-20-2013, 03:32 AM
Not really. You'll spend most of your time running around opening chests (that mostly contain useless stuff like arrows) and attacking convoys and that's about it. I got the DLC for free, but if I'd have paid for it I would probably feel ripped off. The AC2 and ACB DLCs at least had some fun puzzle-solving and assassination missions.

SaintPerkele
02-20-2013, 03:43 AM
The AC2 and ACB DLCs at least had some fun puzzle-solving and assassination missions.
Good point actually. This DLC is really lacking diversity. Most missions feel familiar to the main campaign.

UnlistedBeatle
02-20-2013, 04:17 AM
Cheers for the responses. Seems mixed. Still on the fence with this one. I am a pretty big AC fan and I got 1000/1000 and popped a lot of hours into this one. I also really loved the AC 2 DLC and the ACB Da Vinci one. The ACR DLC was... disappointing to say the least and I actually couldn't even bring myself to finish Desmond's platforming sections and read up what happens. Ugh, seeing as I am a completionist I think I'll bite the bullet and get the season pass. This TOKW seems intriguing enough. At least there's also the Hardened DLC in it.

VitaminsXYZ
02-20-2013, 04:20 AM
Cheers for the responses. Seems mixed. Still on the fence with this one. I am a pretty big AC fan and I got 1000/1000 and popped a lot of hours into this one. I also really loved the AC 2 DLC and the ACB Da Vinci one. The ACR DLC was... disappointing to say the least and I actually couldn't even bring myself to finish Desmond's platforming sections and read up what happens. Ugh, seeing as I am a completionist I think I'll bite the bullet and get the season pass. This TOKW seems intriguing enough. At least there's also the Hardened DLC in it.

Eh, I'd wait til more reviews are out before you make a decision. A lot of us can't even play it yet. lol

Turul.
02-20-2013, 04:45 AM
Anything worth getting in the Chests?

Don't really want to open them all if all they contain is ammo

rupok2
02-20-2013, 05:04 AM
Tbh its like they took the most annoying mission types in the main game and added them in dlc. Running around and straight up fighting or chasing down people before they get to a point and o god the cannon mission pissed me off so much. I bought the season pass just for the story, gameplay is meh.

rileypoole1234
02-20-2013, 05:32 AM
Meh.

When something gets a "Meh" from this guy you know it really deserved it.

ihateyou0
02-20-2013, 06:09 AM
No;
Horrible story (might be decent when other two come out)
Only takes place in the frontier (same old frontier except with ruined buildings and random bodies)
3 hours worth of content (nothing else to do)
Invisibility
You dont get anything for the main game (the DLC is separated)
Invsibility
Connor remembers what happened in the main game, this better not end with Connor waking up from a dream Ubisoft!!!!!!
Nothing to do after you are done with it unless you just want to kill bluecoats
Not hard at all
INVISIBILITY. I PAID FOR MORE HISTORICAL FICTION NOT SCIENCE FICTION.
It is worth $5 and thats being generous.

ihateyou0
02-20-2013, 06:10 AM

You get pouch upgrades in some

Assassin_M
02-20-2013, 07:29 AM
2 hours in till now. I never expected Undead Nightmare, but this DLC has the most epic moment in AC for me....The fight in the Village. That OST is just amazing..

Spoilers...highlight to see

Bought it after the reassurance of a certain friend here and I`v yet to be disappointed. it`s same old same old, but that`s not really a bad thing. Mission Design is actually slightly better this time around from what I`v seen so far. It`s everything AC III should`v been. that brief fight with GW was what should`v been with Haytham and Charles. It`s nothing special at all, but giving control to the player for even the slightest moment is a good move after what I`v seen from AC III. It`s fun till now and I didn't even get the powers yet

SaintPerkele
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM

Weapon and pouch upgrades as well. But I got them because some of them are really fun to get.
Many of these chests provide voluntary extra challenges. For example, I tried to open most of them without getting involved into a fight. There are always some powdercrates lying around, shoot them to lure the guards away and then try to pick the lock before they come back. Or turn invisible and take down a guard in the distance and make the other guards check his corpse. Quite a lot of opportunities which I enjoyed.

FrankieSatt
02-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Just hearing about the things that are in the DLC and whole story line of making George Washington and evil character turned me completely off. I wouldn't recomment it to anyone.

The dev team needs to stop making DLC and figure out a way to get ACIV an extremely good story line and much better game play than ACIII.

SaintPerkele
02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Just hearing about the things that are in the DLC and whole story line of making George Washington and evil character turned me completely off. I wouldn't recomment it to anyone.

The dev team needs to stop making DLC and figure out a way to get ACIV an extremely good story line and much better game play than ACIII.
The DLC was made by a completely different team than the one responsible for ACIII and possibly the ones working on ACIV. Also, George Washington is more than an evil character and the DLC is in no way against him, if that's what turns you off - the devs promised that Washington can be appreciated even more after the end.

Caeser_of_Rome
02-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Not worth it by a long shot. To much time running to quests. Then the Clue finding is quite annoying. I didn't even finish it because, I felt I was going to fall over from pure bordem. The whole storyline anyways doesn't make any sense. I'd say this DLC should be around the $1.99 range. To boring, can't use anything you unlock in the DLC for the Campaign. It's just an absolute waste.

I've been an Assassins Creed fan ever sense 2007. But this year I'm very disappointed in AC3 and the BS DLCs.

lothario-da-be
02-20-2013, 07:54 PM
So it seems i should wait for the other 2 parts?

Triprox25
02-20-2013, 07:58 PM
I thought the Infamy pack was a very good DLC pack, worth the 10$ in my opinion. Good story, new missions, new stuff to collect. The story was interesting and well thought out - I can't wait for the new packs to be released. It took me about 2 and a half hours to beat it. {Note I did not rush, I took my time, taking short breaks in between missions} The missions where great as well, lots of great fights and good stealth opportunities. {If you get it you will know what I mean} I beat the main story, but since the missions where so good I will replay them alot. There are a ton of collectables about 30 new chests to get, so they well keep you busy. All-together a very good DLC pack, good story,good missions,lots of collectables. As a stand-alone DLC pack "Maybe". That would depend on how much you like the game. But, if you like AC3 as much as me, you should get the "Season Pass". I will give the Infamy a 7.8.

So yes, if you completed Ac3 100% you should get the DLC. If you don't want to do the extra side missions on the main story, or if you want to continue Connors story then get it. But, if you want a long story and you only want this one pack, and you dont like collecting chests - then no you should not buy this because this is only about a 2 hour story, {if you want a long story you should buy the season pass}

RUND4S
02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
In my opinion the DLc worth getting it.
You can check out my Feedback (link below).
You are advised to skip the Story-Part if you don't want spoilers.
There are a few others, but if you don't care about a few small spoilers you can read it,
for a more detailled answer to your question. You can decide yourself.

Link to Feedbackthread:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/754249-FEEDBACK-DLC-The-Tyranny-of-King-Washington-%28Spoilers-included%29

Jay_2750
02-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Honestly? Yes. It is short, but is still worth it.

silvermercy
02-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Yes, totally worth it for me, too.