PDA

View Full Version : Realistic mode... just read first...

the_atm
02-15-2013, 06:38 PM
So I was playing AC3 and I got thinking... hmm it's raining right now... and I came up with this idea. What if there was a "new game plus" option or something that made it more realistic? Here's what I mean.

When it's raining Connor could slip and fall OR simply loose his grip. He wouldn't fall like when you got hit with a stone in AC1, he might just loose his footing and slide down a little bit.
when you shot your pistol you're not going to hit the target every time. maybe 25% or more if you are much closer. as well when doing the meat shield not every bullet will hit the shield, maybe not even any bullets in which case he will just hit you in the gut and escape.
If during winter you fall into water Connor will move slower, if you stay in to long he will eventually die but that's like... along time in the water.... a really long time.
You are more susceptible to being shot which means you are more likely to die, but keep in mind that the accuracy would be lowered allot more so you might not get hit as much.
that's just a few ideas. But this doesn't have to a "new game plus" experience it could just be a new pivot point.

I know there would be problems with this idea but please tell me what you think. It would be an option so don't go all "THAT WULD RUIN DA GAM3 U LOSR!" which i'm sure some of you still will do.

What ya'll think?

J7hnny
02-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Hm, interesting. But, given the lenght of the gameplay, starting a new game plus would be out of question. Perhaps difficulty settings?

Sushiglutton
02-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Personally I absolutely hate stuff like this. Random things I can't control that breaks the flow and just seem designed to frustrate. When it comes to guns I think they should hit exactly where I aim (bullet drop and spread for automatic weapons/shotguns is ok ofc). Challenge should come from elsewhere, not a 25% random fail rate. But I will admit I'm far from a hardcore gamer and I'm never agaisnt giving people options to play the way they want. And I do understand that it is more realistic in a way and can absolutely respect why some people would want that. It's not something I want though, sorry :).

J7hnny
02-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Personally I absolutely hate stuff like this. Random things I can't control that breaks the flow and just seem designed to frustrate. When it comes to guns I think they should hit exactly where I aim (bullet drop and spread for automatic weapons/shotguns is ok ofc). Challenge should come from elsewhere, not a 25% random fail rate. But I will admit I'm far from a hardcore gamer and I'm never agaisnt giving people options to play the way they want. And I do understand that it is more realistic in a way and can absolutely respect why some people would want that. It's not something I want though, sorry :).
I, on the other hand, would appreciate the challenge! Adding Easy, Normal, Hard and Extreme options would meet the general expectations towards difficulty settings, don't you think?

r4inm4n1991
02-15-2013, 07:02 PM
The realistic mode is cool, here are my ideas:
- It would be nice if the enemy would be killed faster, Connor gives so much hits with all his weapons that it looks like the guards are made of rock.
- A disguise option would be very well welcome, his outfit IS cool, but it says "IM AN ASSASSIN" a lot, it stands out too much, like all the other games.(BTW, templars are smart!)
- More stealth options, like crouching or throwing a rock "a la Far Cry 3", really, Far Cry 3 as a nice stealth system!
- Connor dies/suffers if he gets hit by a weapon or get shot.(less superman and more "human", it would make us play more stealthly)

Sushiglutton
02-15-2013, 07:05 PM
I, on the other hand, would appreciate the challenge! Adding Easy, Normal, Hard and Extreme options would meet the general expectations towards difficulty settings, don't you think?

Like I said I am all for options :)! And I def like a challenge myself. Not of the randomly slipping kind though. I mean take the Lee chase for example. Suppose you follow him to the ship and then just before you reach him you randomly slip and have to restart the mission. Realistic? Yeah. Hardcore? I suppose. Fun? No at all to me.

The realistic mode is cool, here are my ideas:
- It would be nice if the enemy would be killed faster, Connor gives so much hits with all his weapons that it looks like the guards are made of rock.
- A disguise option would be very well welcome, his outfit IS cool, but it says "IM AN ASSASSIN" a lot, it stands out too much, like all the other games.(BTW, templars are smart!)
- More stealth options, like crouching or throwing a rock "a la Far Cry 3", really, Far Cry 3 as a nice stealth system!
- Connor dies/suffers if he gets hit by a weapon or get shot.(less superman and more "human", it would make us play more stealthly)

These ideas I like as they would exapnd on gameplay possibilities and provide a fair kind of challenge.

Gi1t
02-15-2013, 07:20 PM

I actually like the idea, (I think a new game plus with more realistic gameplay could be a really good way to add some longevity and challenge to the game), but I agreee with you that probability is outdated in video games. Probability was originally designed to represent things that couldn't be represented in gameplay because the games just weren't sophisticated enough. (whether an attack is avoided or whether an attack gets under the target's defenses etc.) But now these things CAN be represented, so there's no need for that anymore. Anything like that can and should be handled as an active feature that the player can control and either succeed or fail at.

So yeah, more difficult aiming or the inability to use certain actions in the rain and mroe importantly the ability to actually die. XD

@J7Hnny: Length wouldn't be a problem. Tales games alll have a new game plus option and they're three or four times as long ans any AC game. They also give you a choice as to what you want to change about your new game plus, which would be cool here as well. :)

the_atm
02-15-2013, 07:30 PM
I guess I didn't think of that lee mission... I just got thinking "Man connor is grabbing on to the very edge of this window sill with his bare fingertips and it's pouring outside I wonder how he doesn't slip..." I mean it's not for everyone true, I think I'd use a "realistic pivot" more than a new game plus addition personally but at the same time it'd be cool to try and beat the story with the realistic additive.

As for the guns, they had no rifling, they even said so in their lead up to the game, yet you do a meat shield and no matter how far away the enemy is they all, all of them, always hit their mark and that's wrong lol. I mean maybe a 25% chance is extreme like, 25 feet away maybe, I don't know I suck at math but the accuracy in this game is just to high!

and as for difficulties I don't want that. See in AC every one gets the same experience, some parts are hard while others are easy. adding in difficulties would ruin that for me. NOW MY IDEA is not a diverticulity it's... like a challenge that you unlock after beating the game whether it be a NG+ or pivot point.

Sushiglutton
02-15-2013, 07:33 PM
I actually like the idea, (I think a new game plus with more realistic gameplay could be a really good way to add some longevity and challenge to the game), but I agreee with you that probability is outdated in video games. Probability was originally designed to represent things that couldn't be represented in gameplay because the games just weren't sophisticated enough. (whether an attack is avoided or whether an attack gets under the target's defenses etc.) But now these things CAN be represented, so there's no need for that anymore. Anything like that can and should be handled as an active feature that the player can control and either succeed or fail at.

So yeah, more difficult aiming or the inability to use certain actions in the rain and mroe importantly the ability to actually die. XD

@J7Hnny: Length wouldn't be a problem. Tales games alll have a new game plus option and they're three or four times as long ans any AC game. They also give you a choice as to what you want to change about your new game plus, which would be cool here as well. :)

I would also like a NG+ mode for sure. And I agree AC3 is too easy and simplistic. For example I have no idea why we can't free aim with the bow. It was just the kind of challenges OP suggested that I personally don't like. I prefer randomness to come from enemy behaviour, not from the result of the player's button presses. I mean you can still have the same difficulty if you have perfect aim as you do with 25% fail (by for example having more and/or faster enemies). And it seems like you agree on that :).

poptartz20
02-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Haha... How funny I thought of a few of the same things. Especially the rain and not slipping thing. Also swimming in the frigid weather... I was like how do I not have hypothermia? haha. I would like to see those additions. Not sure I would like the other ones as much.

J7hnny
02-15-2013, 08:29 PM
I couldn't agree more, but I was replying to the thread with a personal statement.
I, for instance, think twice before purchasing any title requiring more than 24 hours of gameplay. I may be a completionist, but, on the other hand, I'm a Metal Gear Solid kind of player. The type that completes it under 3 hours. Imagine the sacrifice it takes for me to play a game with the lenght Assassin's Creed III! Haha.

pacmanate
02-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Tbh I thought slipping off branches in Winter was going to be in the final version of AC3. They said snow would affect tree running... it didn't....

J7hnny
02-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Tbh I thought slipping off branches in Winter was going to be in the final version of AC3. They said snow would affect tree running... it didn't....
I believe they said snow would affect FREE running.

pacmanate
02-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I believe they said snow would affect FREE running.

No, they said you would slip off branches and lose balance.

J7hnny
02-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Now that's new. Was it during the annoucement? Ubisoft hasn't delivered half of what was promised during it.

TheHumanTowel
02-15-2013, 09:41 PM
I don't remember them saying that at all. They said snow would cause you to move slower and make you take to the trees, which did happen in the game.

LoyalACFan
02-15-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't remember them saying that at all. They said snow would cause you to move slower and make you take to the trees, which did happen in the game.

This. I don't remember them saying anything about slipping and falling off branches, that was just fan speculation. In fact, I remember a fan asking Alex Hutchinson a question about breaking tree branches, and he said something to the effect of "No, they don't break, we wanted the branches to be a pretty safe option in all situations."

andreja110s
02-15-2013, 10:13 PM
When it's raining Connor could slip and fall OR simply loose his grip. He wouldn't fall like when you got hit with a stone in AC1, he might just loose his footing and slide down a little bit.
If during winter you fall into water Connor will move slower, if you stay in to long he will eventually die but that's like... along time in the water.... a really long time.

I like these two. Also, I would like the lakes, maybe some rivers to be frozen in winter( I think this was supposed to be in AC3, but it got removed).

J7hnny
02-15-2013, 10:21 PM
This. I don't remember them saying anything about slipping and falling off branches, that was just fan speculation. In fact, I remember a fan asking Alex Hutchinson a question about breaking tree branches, and he said something to the effect of "No, they don't break, we wanted the branches to be a pretty safe option in all situations."
Problem solved!
Thank you for the fyi, man.

VitaminsXYZ
02-16-2013, 01:08 AM
Haha... How funny I thought of a few of the same things. Especially the rain and not slipping thing. Also swimming in the frigid weather... I was like how do I not have hypothermia? haha. I would like to see those additions. Not sure I would like the other ones as much.

Actually, I remember they were going to add this feature in, where if you stay in cold waters for too long it'll start taking away your health. But as sushi already said, little things like this could get really annoying for players.

Which is why I kind of like the different difficulty settings idea. And maybe even have a mode where you could turn on/off the full sync requirements, for people who would rather just complete a mission the way they want and not be penalized for it.