PDA

View Full Version : Did they ever explain what the Masyaf Keys were exactly?

mwkcope
02-15-2013, 05:40 AM
I mean, I understand that they were First Civ in origin. But that's it. Where did Alta´r get them? Are they related to the Animus in some way?

If so, then that brings up some interesting questions about Warren Vidic. Where did he get them? Are they actually IN the Animus? Or did he some how figure out how they work? But then just how **** much does he know?

LoyalACFan
02-15-2013, 05:59 AM
The Masyaf Keys were a contrived plot device to bring back Altair :)

Lol, but seriously, we don't know exactly where they came from. The First Civ made them, obviously, but we don't know why. I guess just to use them as a recording device, just as we would use film. Not sure exactly when and where Altair got his hands on them, though they could easily explain it away by saying he found them during his ten-year travels across Asia when he went to fight Genghis Khan.

As for them being connected to the Animus... It's possible, though it would likely be a retcon. Vidic explained in AC1 that the Animus technology was a 'gift' from the First Civilization, but at that point, when AC was planned to be a trilogy, I doubt they ever had any intention of mentioning Memory Seals. The best theory I have is that Abstergo found some of the discs, studied them, and didn't quite figure out how they worked, but did learn that they were somehow linked to DNA. Cue Warren Vidic's research on how he could extrapolate memories from DNA, and eventually helping invent the Animus.

mwkcope
02-15-2013, 06:09 AM
The Masyaf Keys were a contrived plot device to bring back Altair :)

Lol, but seriously, we don't know exactly where they came from. The First Civ made them, obviously, but we don't know why. I guess just to use them as a recording device, just as we would use film. Not sure exactly when and where Altair got his hands on them, though they could easily explain it away by saying he found them during his ten-year travels across Asia when he went to fight Genghis Khan.

As for them being connected to the Animus... It's possible, though it would likely be a retcon. Vidic explained in AC1 that the Animus technology was a 'gift' from the First Civilization, but at that point, when AC was planned to be a trilogy, I doubt they ever had any intention of mentioning Memory Seals. The best theory I have is that Abstergo found some of the discs, studied them, and didn't quite figure out how they worked, but did learn that they were somehow linked to DNA. Cue Warren Vidic's research on how he could extrapolate memories from DNA, and eventually helping invent the Animus.

Sounds about right.

Perk89
02-15-2013, 06:22 AM
They were First Civ video recorders essentially is what I'm pretty sure it implied them to be. You were essentially watching a very advanced version of a video recording. Memory cards I think you could probably even call them. Database.

Abeonis
02-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Well, they're not Pieces of Eden, before anybody thinks of saying it. They're a predecessor the the modern Animus and, much like others have said, more akin the a memory card, although I prefer the analogy of them being a book of sorts, personally.

The Masyaf Keys (i.e. Those six Seals in particular) were found buried in a FC complex beneath the Assassin fortress of Alamut. A further two were located in the Library of Alexandria pre-1511, but fell in Assassin hands in that year.

LoyalACFan
02-15-2013, 10:01 PM
The Masyaf Keys (i.e. Those six Seals in particular) were found buried in a FC complex beneath the Assassin fortress of Alamut. A further two were located in the Library of Alexandria pre-1511, but fell in Assassin hands in that year.

Wait, what? The Library of Alexandria was LONG gone by then... It was destroyed in the first millennium AD (or CE, if you're feeling politically correct).

Rakdarr
02-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Not really, Ezio stored them all in the first vault beneath Sofia's bookshop on the way back to Italy. The Templars must have found them there at a later date, or they simply bulldozed Masyaf and got Altair's Apple without trying to get past the door using logic. I do wonder what happened to his body, though.

EDIT: Nevermind, now I see your point.

Abeonis
02-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Wait, what? The Library of Alexandria was LONG gone by then... It was destroyed in the first millennium AD (or CE, if you're feeling politically correct).

Yes..... Last I checked, the first millennium AD was pre-1511.