PDA

View Full Version : Request to change controls back or give option to have original

seasidemalachi
02-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Hey everyone. i wanted to post this and make it a discussion because, I like im sure everyone else on this site is a major fan of the assassins creed series. but with assassins creed 3 i hate the fighting system. Im not trying to start a arguement of oh its so much better the new way or not. I am simply asking ubisoft to take notice of this issue, I am an employee at gamestop and whenever we talk to customers about this game, this question or topic pops up. either people love it or hate it. on every assassins creed game i have been amazing at fighting and loved the combat system. Please put out a patch for this game to have the option of the old or the new controls. I beat it but many customers and friends havent because its so frustrating to them. its not a huge question and i dont think its much to ask for but please ubisoft hear me out. A lot of people love the new combat and a lot of people hate it. please please please give the option to have both so everyone is happy.

Gi1t
02-12-2013, 04:30 AM
I think the best way to handle controls is to, if at all possible, to allow individual customization of as many functions as possible. Even if some controls just need to be mapped a certain way, if ANY of the other buttons can be re-configured, they should be. And honestly, I think it's entirely possible for people to re-configure all the controls for a game, even those that were not designed to be interchangeable. EX: Being able to configre the four controls of a D-pad menu to separate buttons. Even if the player is at risk of sacrificing a couple of options,they might still prefer that to a layout that doesn't work well with them. They could even allow the option of mapping controls in a custom way by having the player select a function and then input the command they want to correspond to that funtion, allowing them to use multiple buttons for something. If they can handle the controls they're setting up, then why not? When you're trying ot please everybody, more options are the one sure fix most of the time. :)

Assassin_M
02-12-2013, 04:37 AM
I think the best way to handle controls is to, if at all possible, to allow individual customization of as many functions as possible. Even if some controls just need to be mapped a certain way, if ANY of the other buttons can be re-configured, they should be. And honestly, I think it's entirely possible for people to re-configure all the controls for a game, even those that were not designed to be interchangeable. EX: Being able to configre the four controls of a D-pad menu to separate buttons. Even if the player is at risk of sacrificing a couple of options,they might still prefer that to a layout that doesn't work well with them. They could even allow the option of mapping controls in a custom way by having the player select a function and then input the command they want to correspond to that funtion, allowing them to use multiple buttons for something. If they can handle the controls they're setting up, then why not? When you're trying ot please everybody, more options are the one sure fix most of the time. :)
It sounded to me like he wants the old combat lay out back, not simply change the controls.....Seems that way to me, at least....If I`m wrong, I`d love to be corrected..

Gi1t
02-12-2013, 05:35 AM
It sounded to me like he wants the old combat lay out back, not simply change the controls.....Seems that way to me, at least....If I`m wrong, I`d love to be corrected..

Well, in this case, if the enemies are as dopey as they always were, and assuming that a lot of the abilities you have were inherited from previous games, changing the controls alone might be enough, but that's for them to answer.

Assassin_M
02-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Well, in this case, if the enemies are as dopey as they always were, and assuming that a lot of the abilities you have were inherited from previous games, changing the controls alone might be enough, but that's for them to answer.
I`m all for control customization. I mean why not ?? Last year we had a member here who had difficulty using controls of AC because of a physical disability with his hands...We made that thread famous, and well...it fell on deaf ears, but a game is interactivity...a game is freedom and comfort....You should choose how to interact with your game...I fully support this..

But going back to an old combat system ?? I`m sorry, but that`s a matter of skill...

Burningsnow
02-12-2013, 05:56 AM
i'm with you OP. I'd much rather have the old system back than keep this new one. I mean i've been using the other one for the past 4 games now. Now its all switched up and I can't really get into the flow of combat in AC3. : /

Assassin_M
02-12-2013, 05:59 AM
i'm with you OP. I'd much rather have the old system back than keep this new one. I mean i've been using the other one for the past 4 games now. Now its all switched up and I can't really get into the flow of combat in AC3. : /
If you got used to the old combat system, I`m pretty sure your brain and hand-eye coordination can take in and perfect a new system...

So what If you`v been using it for 4 years ? What ? Is your gaming skill dead ? Don`t you play other games ?? With so much different systems ?? It just doesn't make sense..

It`s not a Ubisoft issue....It`s yours

Burningsnow
02-12-2013, 06:08 AM
If you got used to the old combat system, I`m pretty sure your brain and hand-eye coordination can take in and perfect a new system...

So what If you`v been using it for 4 years ? What ? Is your gaming skill dead ? Don`t you play other games ?? With so much different systems ?? It just doesn't make sense..

It`s not a Ubisoft issue....It`s yours

Oh its not that I can't do other systems, its just that when i'm playing assassin's creed I think of the old system as that's what the most of the games use. I always find myself holding RT to block and then get smashed in the face and realize that you hold B. I go back and fourth between AC games and its no problem until AC3. just doesn't feel like the assassin's creed i'm used to, u know?

Perk89
02-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Why would we want the old combat controls back? Where guys just stood around waiting to die while you tiddle around with whichever guy you choose?

and how far back are we talking? The combat controls in ACB and ACR are decent but AC1 and AC2 are just horrendous.

kriegerdesgottes
02-12-2013, 06:20 AM
I would be happy if there was an option to use the old controls. I know a lot of people prefer the new controls but I am one of those people who prefers the old way so having a choice would be nice.

Assassin_M
02-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Oh its not that I can't do other systems, its just that when i'm playing assassin's creed I think of the old system as that's what the most of the games use. I always find myself holding RT to block and then get smashed in the face and realize that you hold B. I go back and fourth between AC games and its no problem until AC3. just doesn't feel like the assassin's creed i'm used to, u know?
That`s the thing. they have a new combat system, new means you need to adapt, not long for the past...that`s your gaming skill....it`s adaption...

Burningsnow
02-12-2013, 06:31 AM
That`s the thing. they have a new combat system, new means you need to adapt, not long for the past...that`s your gaming skill....it`s adaption...

Yeah I get what you mean. Its just such a shift from the other games. Idk why they would change a constant combat system for all their previous installments now. But whatever. What's done is done. Even if I could remap the buttons, I'd be a little happier. : ]

Assassin_M
02-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Yeah I get what you mean. Its just such a shift from the other games. Idk why they would change a constant combat system for all their previous installments now. But whatever. What's done is done. Even if I could remap the buttons, I'd be a little happier. : ]
I`m all for remapping...

REMAPPING SHOULD BE IN ALL GAMES

Burningsnow
02-12-2013, 06:39 AM
I`m all for remapping...

REMAPPING SHOULD BE IN ALL GAMES

100% agreed. But I guess it can get messy... if you're not on the PC/master-race that is. ; )

Assassin_M
02-12-2013, 06:50 AM
100% agreed. But I guess it can get messy... if you're not on the PC/master-race that is. ; )
If it was possible before on consoles, then they`re just lazy now....

Gi1t
02-12-2013, 08:55 AM
If it was possible before on consoles, then they`re just lazy now....

I think sometimes developers feel like certain functions that require you to, say, hold one button while pressing another can't be remapped, and if too many controls are like that, they probably say 'why bother?' But I think any controls can be remapped if you design a way to do it, and I think players are smart enough to handle it too.