PDA

View Full Version : Was AC3 as memorable as AC1/AC2?

IronEagl3
02-12-2013, 01:24 AM
On Christmas I got AC3, then beat it New Years day. Almost 2 months pass since I have beat it, and a month since I have just played it for fun. So far, I have no feeling of "good memories" or nostalgia. I don't know if I need to give it more time, but I have sort of convinced myself that enough time has passed and come to conclude that this game was not nearly as memorable and deep as either AC1 & 2. With the first 2 games, the instant I beat them left a mark. Every time I listen to one of the game soundtracks, I get memory flashbacks and nostalgia. When I listen to the AC3 soundtrack I get nothing except when I listen to the "Homestead" track. Even then it's not much.

Do you guys feel the same way? Or do you all have some emotion when thinking back to AC3? Just curious :P

Gil_217
02-12-2013, 01:35 AM
Unfortunately, not for me.

AC1 and AC2 are still the best games in the franchise, I don't even know how many times I completed both.

AC3 is still a good game, no doubt, just not good enough. It didn't have that special feeling like those two had, it didn't motivate me and entertain me like those two did, it didn't make me want to play it again immediately after completing it, it didn't have that special aura around it.

The first two are just something else, in a league of their own.

silvermercy
02-12-2013, 01:47 AM
I think it's about a bit too early to speak of nostalgia but AC3 and AC1 for me. The things I miss from AC2 is the music and the more "interesting" location.
Other than that AC3 for me.

Ragsash
02-12-2013, 01:47 AM
I AC3 makes me feels the feels. **** those feels bothersome feels.

alot of spoilers so dont read if you havent finished the games.
I remember mostly the speeches in the AC games of the bad guys. in AC1 there was like the doctor ( who cured the insaine...with torture not sure how it worked but it worked) that speech was full of feels. and the guy who realised (well in his mind at least) that there was nothing after you died. and got so scared he went nuts...and got him killed for the things he did out of fear. and the guy who burned books couse you never know if what the books says are true (or in what purpes it was written)

and in AC 3 they did really good bad guys again. like the guy who tryed to buy the indian land to protect them...and if they didnt sell him their land....he tried to take it. (I wouldent do it but I can understand how he feelt)
and like the guy who just wanted to get money so he could get his booze and the ladies. and didnt understand why they have causes or why anybody care why about anything else than the money etc.
and hatham way of thinking people cant have their free will. and only naive people believe in anything else.

in ACII brotherhood I feelt like they werent as awesome badguys as in the other games. (the borgia family was a stain on the templar name) But as they were a family of madmen it feelt kind of right aswell. so I dont think they should have done anything else. but I like bad guys with a valid way of thinking thats not the obvious reasoning of madmen.
(reason why I hate about every modern military shoter game and j-rpg....90% of the bad guys are cazied racist/nazi)

But I would say the soundtrack in AC2 and AC3 is the best.

Farlander1991
02-12-2013, 01:59 AM
It's been only three months. I haven't had feelings of nostalgia for any of the AC games until after, like, a year has passed or something like that.

That being sad, they did leave a mark on me, and AC3 is not an exception, in story department especially. That may be because I've connected with Connor a lot, on a personal level. Oh, and this scene over here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLX07fGtwgU
One of my favourite scenes from any game ever.

JCearlyyears
02-12-2013, 02:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0cgbZqR2AGI
This, simply.

CalgaryJay
02-12-2013, 02:02 AM
I'd say so, there was enough originality to it. Naval, Frontier, hunting, naval, homestead, tree running (which I have a sad feeling will be a one-and-done, aside from the odd lonely tree connecting buildings in Paris or something), First Nations protagonist...did I mention naval?

rileypoole1234
02-12-2013, 02:04 AM
I wish I could say yes, but AC2 still beats it for me. There are moments in AC2 that will stay with me forever. Just walking around Italy in that game now brings back so many incredible memories. I'm currently replaying it, and I'm loving it as I've always loved it. I would even go as far as saying AC2 might just be my favourite game of all time. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay and story of AC3 is fantastic, it just isn't leaving the lasting impression AC2 has left on me.

Assassin_M
02-12-2013, 02:23 AM
I popped it in yesterday.... Definitely much more memorable than AC II, but not as AC I...

Nothing is more memorable than AC I for me, when I play AC II, it`s just 5 minutes and I turn it off again....

AC I ? Dayum....I can walk around doing nothing for hours and It`ll make me feel good.....AC III comes pretty close, but not as much as AC I....

D.I.D.
02-12-2013, 02:32 AM
It's a curate's egg.

Nobody can really say it was a bad product, but it's hard to argue it was a good experience. It had moments of great beauty, mostly in the world-crafting, but as you say it didn't have memorable moments (or at least not positive ones). There wasn't a single section that made me feel regret for having beaten it, that made me yearn to repeat that mission. It was all just about going onward, and trying to play it again was not a pleasant experience for me at all. Playing it once was okay but, knowing what was ahead, I gave up partway through my second run just as I did with Revelations.

Hopefully this was just a problem of predetermined dates, and it won't be necessary in the future to put the game out just because a date in the plot is approaching.

Turul.
02-12-2013, 03:20 AM
for me yes, definitely more than ac1, which is very forgettable for me. AC3 is a great game. it has a lot of cool moments, the combat is great, the story is pretty **** good, and it was a logical step in the series.

ac3s shortcomings come from the small details, and the overall cohesiveness (or lack there of). which is a symptom, of an unpolished game.
it had a lot of narrative issues, the mission design was not very good, the desmond sequences were at times disappointing, and the game was just very bloated.

all in all it was a worthy entry in the series, but they really need to tighten up on the next installment, which I believe they will.

Assassin_M
02-12-2013, 03:45 AM
Favorite memorable moments from AC I..

Solomon`s temple failure
Attack on Masyaf
Aboulnoqoud Assassination
Sibrand Assassination
Majdaddin Assassination
Garnier Assassination
William Assassination
Majdaddin Funeral
Battle of Arsuf
Fighting Al Mualim
Ending

Favorite memorable moments from AC III

Opera Assassination
Arrival in America
Village burning
Boston Massacre
Interaction with Revere
putting on the Robes
Entirety of time with Haytham
Execution
Walking out with the Apple
Final sequence

Favorite Memorable moments from AC II

Nothing...

bveUSbve
02-12-2013, 09:06 AM
It's a curate's egg.
The meaning of this metaphor in german seems to be "durchwachsen". And I used that adjective in my Amazon review (3/5 stars) to characterize the game - the review was considered "helpful" by many customers... :)

Nobody can really say it was a bad product, but it's hard to argue it was a good experience. It had moments of great beauty, mostly in the world-crafting, but as you say it didn't have memorable moments (or at least not positive ones). There wasn't a single section that made me feel regret for having beaten it, that made me yearn to repeat that mission. It was all just about going onward, and trying to play it again was not a pleasant experience for me at all.
Reflects my impressions perfectly.

Hopefully this was just a problem of predetermined dates, and it won't be necessary in the future to put the game out just because a date in the plot is approaching.
Good point. Me too thinks the game wasn't really "completed" on release. The indications for this can be seen all over the place - when looking out for them.

pacmanate
02-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Was speaking to my friend about this yesterday and we both haven't touched it since Decemeberish? I don't know what it is, but it doesn't scream with replay value like any of the past ones. If im honest, I want to play AC1 through to Revelations again, but am dreading AC3 haha. I dont know why.

pirate1802
02-12-2013, 09:31 AM
I haven't replayed it either, but thats because I want the "want" to build up, then I'll replay it. :) The same I do with any game, very rarely do I replay a game back-to-back.. the exception being DEHR. Replayed it three times back-to-back.

On-topic: Yes, AC3 was as memorable as AC1/2. AC2 still remains my favourite, but AC3 is giving it a tough fight.

Caeser_of_Rome
02-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I pretty much forgot about AC3. There just wasn't anything to quite remember about it. No Frontier Battles, no Conueing No real hunting missions. Just was another game in the franchise.

AC1 and AC2, have the best memorial moments, both Excellent games, 10/10s
AC3 had a 5 hour long tutorial, that was really annoying to alot of people.
The game brought more annoyance then memorable times.

lothario-da-be
02-12-2013, 12:35 PM
You guys want a nostalgic feeling about a game that was released 3 months ago? I only start to get a nostalgic feeling about acr. Wait a year or 2 and then you will have your memorable moments.
And btw i think ac1 will always be the most memourable because its the 1st ac game.

Caeser_of_Rome
02-12-2013, 12:41 PM
You guys want a nostalgic feeling about a game that was released 3 months ago? I only start to get a nostalgic feeling about acr. Wait a year or 2 and then you will have your memorable moments.
And btw i think ac1 will always be the most memourable because its the 1st ac game.

3 months ago? LOL it was released in October, nearly 5 months ago.

I have played alot of games that started a Franchise, and tobe honest, alot of them didn't make my most memorably moments list, including the AC Franchise.

Revaltions has been out for over a year, and I have no Memorable moments of that game, nor do I of Brotherhood. Just depends on the game, and your opinions.

lothario-da-be
02-12-2013, 12:44 PM
November,December,january and 12 days, Lets say thats 3 months and a half, not 5.

Caeser_of_Rome
02-12-2013, 12:48 PM
We're in February, so more like 4 months.

lothario-da-be
02-12-2013, 12:49 PM
We're in February, so more like 4 months.
I already counted those 12 days.

misterB2001
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Favorite memorable moments from AC I..

Solomon`s temple failure
Attack on Masyaf
Aboulnoqoud Assassination
Sibrand Assassination
Majdaddin Assassination
Garnier Assassination
William Assassination
Majdaddin Funeral
Battle of Arsuf
Fighting Al Mualim
Ending

Favorite memorable moments from AC III

Opera Assassination
Arrival in America
Village burning
Boston Massacre
Interaction with Revere
putting on the Robes
Entirety of time with Haytham
Execution
Walking out with the Apple
Final sequence

Favorite Memorable moments from AC II

Nothing...

Behave yourself. There's no need to completely over exaggerate every time AC II is mentioned.

Gil_217
02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Is there really a significant difference between 3, 4 or 5 months?

And it's been almost 4 months since the game was released.

Behave yourself. There's no need to completely over exaggerate every time AC II is mentioned.

It's his opinion mate, you can't blame him for that. I too disagree with him, and so what? People have different opinions.

Thank God we don't all feel the same way about everything.

lothario-da-be
02-12-2013, 12:56 PM

3 and a half.

Gil_217
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
3 and a half.

3 and a half; Almost 4 months

It's basically the same thing, expressed with different words.

misterB2001
02-12-2013, 01:54 PM

It's his opinion mate, you can't blame him for that. I too disagree with him, and so what? People have different opinions.

Thank God we don't all feel the same way about everything.
Oh I can accept that ACII isn't his favourite. I can even accept that he thinks its the worst in the series. What I can't accept is that he feels there wasn't a single second of it that he liked enough to warrant a favourite memorable moment.

pacmanate
02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Who cares how long it was since AC3 holy ****ing ****.

Gil_217
02-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Oh I can accept that ACII isn't his favourite. I can even accept that he thinks its the worst in the series. What I can't accept is that he feels there wasn't a single second of it that he liked enough to warrant a favourite memorable moment.

I understand man, and I can see why it bothers you, but that is still opinion, no matter how ridiculous you think it is.

Assassin_M
02-12-2013, 05:37 PM
What I can't accept is that he feels there wasn't a single second of it that he liked enough to warrant a favourite memorable moment.
Oh You`re going to have to accept it. sorry:)

Wanna think it`s ridiculous ? Sure..I think anyone who thinks AC II is the best is ridiculous. Do I tell them to behave ? No

kriegerdesgottes
02-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I play it occasionally but it's no ACII. I used to argue over and over about playing ACII too much with my ex gf and I don't have to worry about any of that with my new one because I'm not that interested in playing ACIII anyway.

TipTopToby1
02-12-2013, 06:40 PM
My most memorable AC game was definitely Brotherhood; although I don't know why, I just really enjoyed it. So much so that I was actually annoyed after I had finished every side mission, and even jealous of my friend for not having touched them. I loved the setting, I love the story, and I always enjoyed the side missions. The same can't be said for AC3.

The entire time I was playing AC3 I was never really impressed or having fun. It was just another Assassin's Creed for me, sure some of the new additions were cool, but they quickly wore off. The crafting element is also ridiculously pointless; what's even the point in having money? You can effectively complete the entire game along with all the side missions without ever buying anything. Purchasing a new weapon isn't any better, the stats don't mean anything in terms of gameplay. The side quests are awful too, you just go up to somebody and press B to deliver a message. Not even a timed race to give it to somebody across town? Snore. It seems to me they just tried to make the game feel longer by adding so many boring filler missions. It's either that or I'm just bored of the Assassin's Creed formula.

Even though it must seem like I'm hating on the game, I'm not. Some of the missions were actually quite enjoyable; and I found the naval missions to be fun for a while. I just never really cared for any of the characters or what was happening, unlike Ezio's story, which when I listen to the soundtrack from his games makes me extremely nostalgic to when I first played them.

Sick_one12
02-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Was speaking to my friend about this yesterday and we both haven't touched it since Decemeberish? I don't know what it is, but it doesn't scream with replay value like any of the past ones. If im honest, I want to play AC1 through to Revelations again, but am dreading AC3 haha. I dont know why.

This,soooo much this:D this is exactly how i feel XD I still get the chills when I think about roaming through florence and venice in ACII with this beautiful music and atmosphere:) Or visiting Altairs "library" with ezio in revelations...god **** THAT music ;) ACIII was just so forgettable for me.the only emotional scene it had IMO was the burning of your village:(

The only thing in ACIII I really remember is THAT ENDING...and not for good reasons:P But that has been talked about more than enough,so Im not going there XD

Sushiglutton
02-12-2013, 07:57 PM
I remember it as one of the most disapointing games I've played :(. I have fairly low standards when it comes to games and enjoy almost everyone I play. AC3 was simply too boring (sorry it's really the best word I can come up with to describe how I felt about it). It's kind of frustrating that my favourite franchise in terms of setting(s) and style has the worst game design I have encountered in a long time. I tried to replay the campaign so I could do the forts again, but I just couldn't get past the beginning and moved on to better games. I'm still in shock, which is why I have made like 500 posts in two months :p.

poptartz20
02-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Honestly,

Even though I enjoyed ACII considering it was such a change up from AC1... The part I remember the most from ACII would be his family getting hung at the gallows and his arrival at Monteriggioni. After that, I really don't remember much. The rest all blurs in which the other two meaning ACB, and ABR. which I really don't remember that much at all. haha. I probably need to replay all of them at some point. The second thing I remember the most about ACR was how it ended. Which I thought that was pretty awesome how Ezio decided once he found the library that he has seen enough for one lifetime and decided to live his life after 50+ years. haha.

As for ACIII I would have to be the most memorable for me because not only because it was the most recently played but for the fact that it was placed in my favorite time period. Then the other facts that the game also pushed the boundaries of our own beliefs within the game. We got to play as the great Haytham Kenway which in fact was a templar. Him arriving to america, another beautiful scene. Connor searching for his mother as his village burns down. Him getting the robes, the Boston Tea Party, working with Haytham again, killing your best friend, washington screwing you over, and the end.

COME ON!?? lol.