PDA

View Full Version : Something I worry about.

crash3
01-26-2013, 11:47 AM
As amazing as the Ezio trilogy was, with each game that came out, there were so many things that needed to be improved upon. However the developers felt that to make any huge changes in terms of gameplay, would make it feel as if we were playing as a different protagonist. So therefore we played through 3 games that only really showed slight improvements with each new release.

My concern is now that AC3 has come out and as good as the game is, there is still lots of room for improvement and if we are in for another trilogy, I fear that we will be wasting our time asking for certain aspects of the game to be improved/developed while new AC3 instalments are released and we will have to wait for AC4 before any huge changes are made.

I hope that made sense, if you have any thoughts on this please share them! :)

roostersrule2
01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
I think there is less chance of this happening as AC2 was not criticised nearly as much as AC3 was, so unless Ubisoft want sub-standard reviews and less sales they will have to improve,

IronEagl3
01-26-2013, 02:51 PM
I agree with rooster. For some reason, people criticized AC3 a lot more than AC2. I'm guessing people were expecting too much from it. Yes there were parts of the game that were horribly made, like the Homestead missions, but if Ubisoft takes those out in the next game, or improves on them so that we have good quality cut scenes for them, the game would improve drastically. They really have nothing to improve on AC3 other than that. (At least I can't find anything else).

SixKeys
01-26-2013, 04:18 PM
I agree with rooster. For some reason, people criticized AC3 a lot more than AC2. I'm guessing people were expecting too much from it. Yes there were parts of the game that were horribly made, like the Homestead missions, but if Ubisoft takes those out in the next game, or improves on them so that we have good quality cut scenes for them, the game would improve drastically. They really have nothing to improve on AC3 other than that. (At least I can't find anything else).

Horses, restrictive linearity, poor mission design, uninspired side quests, bad story pacing, lack of tutorials, needlessly complicated crafting system, dyes not showing up in cut scenes, game-breaking glitches....

MasterSimaYi
01-26-2013, 05:57 PM
and if we are in for another trilogy

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-28-assassins-creed-3-boss-talks-series-future-annualisation-plans-no-more-trilogies

pacmanate
01-26-2013, 10:45 PM
I think there is less chance of this happening as AC2 was not criticised nearly as much as AC3 was, so unless Ubisoft want sub-standard reviews and less sales they will have to improve,

If I remember correctly AC3 has had the most hype built around it from any AC game I can remember. Mostly because they kept saying how they changed everything.

Sushiglutton
01-26-2013, 11:01 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-28-assassins-creed-3-boss-talks-series-future-annualisation-plans-no-more-trilogies

Remember that interview, it's like the most confused one ever. Alex claims that the games take more than one year to develop AND they will make up their mind on the game following AC3 once it has shipped based on the reactions to Connor AND the games will release yearly. It simply does not compute.

Gi1t
01-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Horses, restrictive linearity, poor mission design, uninspired side quests, bad story pacing, lack of tutorials, needlessly complicated crafting system, dyes not showing up in cut scenes, game-breaking glitches....Add to that, the first game got a massive amount of criticism for its own faults, so AC2 really got a sort of "high" off of being the game that a lot of people felt was successful in fixing most of those problems. I guess the question is, are they still riding that 'high' or are they aware of AC3's criticism?

Assassin_M
01-26-2013, 11:09 PM
They may not have the next game housing Connor, guys...

Maybe they`re saving it for the game after the next.....That makes sense.

And it goes well with their plan of doing no more Trilogies..

My only hope is the Hype. They Hype their game WAAAAAY too much. ACR and AC III greatly suffered from over hype. I hope they humble a bit. They made it sound like AC III is the best there ever was. I understand taking pride in what you do and I`m sure they worked extremely hard, but.....Not everyone understands this and they should not treat fans as Professional game designers...

IronEagl3
01-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Horses, restrictive linearity, poor mission design, uninspired side quests, bad story pacing, lack of tutorials, needlessly complicated crafting system, dyes not showing up in cut scenes, game-breaking glitches....

Story was actually very short I agree with you on that, as well as horses and poor mission design. Though I never experienced any glitches, side quests were fun but to try and finish them ALL at once becomes boring, too many tutorials, and crafting system was fun for me actually. I think it has something to do with my OCD. I like to complete stuff to its fullest, which included the crafting. Anything that involves me in doing something perfect I'll enjoy it.

IronEagl3
01-26-2013, 11:32 PM

My only hope is the Hype. They Hype their game WAAAAAY too much. ACR and AC III greatly suffered from over hype. I hope they humble a bit. They made it sound like AC III is the best there ever was. I understand taking pride in what you do and I`m sure they worked extremely hard, but.....Not everyone understands this and they should not treat fans as Professional game designers...

I remember how I felt when I heard that Altair was going to be in Revelations...actually, I can't remember the feeling, cause it doesn't come by often. It was this feeling of happiness & eagerness. I was looking forward to it, and I expected too much out of it. I mean who could blame us for that. They build up so much hype with all their trailers. Look at GTA. They release 1, maybe 2 trailers before their release. And all their games turn out great, because the hype isn't so built up.

Assassin_M
01-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Disagreed with Story pacing, lack of tutorials and needlessly "complicated" crafting system.

I thought the story was the only department that had no flaw and they should continue with the direction they`re going with. I thought everything was well explained. The combat, Crafting..etc. I, at least, did not struggle with learning anything and I finally thought the crafting system was fine. Pretty straight forward actually....The menu may need some work I`ll give you that, but I did not find it complicated at all

Assassin_M
01-26-2013, 11:35 PM
I remember how I felt when I heard that Altair was going to be in Revelations...actually, I can't remember the feeling, cause it doesn't come by often. It was this feeling of happiness & eagerness. I was looking forward to it, and I expected too much out of it. I mean who could blame us for that. They build up so much hype with all their trailers. Look at GTA. They release 1, maybe 2 trailers before their release. And all their games turn out great, because the hype isn't so built up.
Yeah, they made it sound like Altair is getting decent screen time, but it turned out he was just replacing the Cristina memories...

poptartz20
01-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Honestly you will never make every gamer happy. I feel that yes, this game was extremely hyped up. For me it lived up to the expectations in some ways and in others it didn't. I felt that I just needed to adjust.

RinoTheBouncer
01-27-2013, 12:14 AM
I worry about that as well but, I guess they only reason for Brotherhood and Revelations to exist is because of people's extremely positive reactions towards Assassin's Creed II which had drastic improvements that many people would agree on and admire, compared to the first Assassin's Creed game which despite being good story-wise and idea-wise, it was sort of pale and less entertaining when it comes to it's repetitive missions. Assassin's Creed III however, wasn't met with such critical acclaim nor it improved the series the way Assassin's Creed III, Brotherhood and Revelations have so I doubt it will strike another trilogy under the same light of Assassin's Creed III.

It seems that with every game, film, music album, from one side, the artist/producer rises up taking his talent, work and creativity to a whole new level that impresses everyone, yet at the same time raises the bar of what's good and what's not good so the higher the go, the less options you have to make something new. For example, a singer gets famous with nudity, after a few years she won't be any special because everyone will have seen what she's been hiding under her clothes, the same thing goes for video games including Assassin's Creed, first it was a very original and new idea to live in modern times, use a device not to go back in time but to relive the memories of your ancestors to find something related to what's going on in your original (modern) time and it was linked with conspiracy theories, religion, politics, science and science fiction, pseudoscientific theories and also historical settings and ancient figures of real life from various eras.

All this was amazing, still amazing but I guess to go forward with it, you need a very creative mind that can keep the same level of originality and impact the first 2 games made to be casted on fans with each new entry to the series. Otherwise, it will be another dying franchise, trying so hard to gain relevancy by changing every bit of it with reboots and modifications that you barely recognize it anymore yet to no avail.

I agree 100%

They insisted on the "This is the biggest project we ever worked" cause even if/when it's true that this is their biggest project, it doesn't mean that it's the best but to fans and to the world, it translates as something way too awesome to have any flaws in it while in fact, this is what happened to ACIII, it had flaws that made it the most criticized AC game to date.

AC:R, however was never a disappointment for me as I told you before, it's always took the No.1 rank of the best AC game in tie with ACII. Yet, on the other hand, it made some people think that Altair is part of the game while it was pretty much of a fan dream than a speculation as the game artwork and trailer clearly showed that he's more like a phantom that appears to Ezio rather than a second protagonist.