PDA

View Full Version : Help.. Total Noob.. FC won't even load..

Raven_Wind
06-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi, I just bought FC, loaded it up on the HD and went to try it out.. I get to the initial splash screen.. Next thing happens is the program dies, the MS prompt asking me if I want to report the results pops up, and that's all I see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System:

P4-2.5ghz
1 GB of Ram
250 GB HD
Nvidia Ti4400 (G4 w/128 megs)
Plextor CDRW and 708-A (DVD Drive)

I've disabled Norton and killed all other aps via the task bar.

This looks like a great game and up until know, I've never had a problem getting a game to play (after load).

Thanks.

Raven_Wind
06-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi, I just bought FC, loaded it up on the HD and went to try it out.. I get to the initial splash screen.. Next thing happens is the program dies, the MS prompt asking me if I want to report the results pops up, and that's all I see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System:

P4-2.5ghz
1 GB of Ram
250 GB HD
Nvidia Ti4400 (G4 w/128 megs)
Plextor CDRW and 708-A (DVD Drive)

I've disabled Norton and killed all other aps via the task bar.

This looks like a great game and up until know, I've never had a problem getting a game to play (after load).

Thanks.

nedi010390
06-13-2004, 01:13 PM
hi
do u have the dvd version of far cry or the cd version?? coz i had the same problem when i had the DVD version so i got the cd version witch solved my problem.hope this helps
NeDi

Raven_Wind
06-13-2004, 02:58 PM
CD Version...

Dang, I wish I would have known about a DVD version.

Still no luck on getting it to boot up.. I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade my video card.. Debating between the X800 and the 9800 Pro.. the Nvidia 6800 looks pretty darn good as well.

JoeShmo73
06-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Do you have the latest video drivers, and MS patches? Use the TaskManager to kill off unneeded processes, (not just task bar). Download and run AdAware, and "Spybot Search and Destroy". Be sure you have the latest DirectX drivers too (version 9 or better).

Have you installed the 1.1 patch? Have you gone into the config section (outside of the game) and setup video config/quality? Make sure "Lighting" is never set to Low, or there will be problems.

I've got about half the system you have, and can get into the game to problem. (the problems for me start 20 minutes after, in multiplayer)

Raven_Wind
06-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Hi,

Yep, latest Nvidia and Audigy2 drivers...

Do you (or anyone) know of a program that will shut down all other programs other than those needed for XP to run correctly ?

Alternately, what programs do I need for XP to run correctly ? I think there are three but can't remember which ones.. I must have over 30 of the little boogers running in the background.

Thanks.

Oh, is there an "incompatable" programs list that Ubi has I/D as to cause a conflict when running Far cry ?

Thanks.

JoeShmo73
06-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Well, unplug any USB steeringwheels/controllers. heard of problems there, but thats during gameplay. The other thing you can try is going to OpenGL mode instead of DirectX. You can do this by editing:
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Crytek\Far Cry\system.cfg

and change the "r_Driver" line to read:
r_Driver = "OpenGL"

As for the "extra" little XP services running, take a look at www.blackviper.com (http://www.blackviper.com) for a nice description of things, and whats actually needed. (look for "Windows Service Configuration" on the main page there).

ZoneAlarm is known to cause problems as well.

Raven_Wind
06-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Looks like I fixed the problem..

Quick recap..
Via MSCONFIG.. I disabled all the non windows necessary programs.. Long story short.... It didn't fix a thing..

I verified I had the latest video and audio drivers.. So I was a little perplexed.. On a whim I decided to see if my CDROM was the problem (or more to the point) the software protection encoded on the CDROM.. So, off to Gamecopy world where I get the hack to play without the CD.. Guess what.. The program fired right up no problems.. and it rock steady.. So.. Although I could have left it at that, it didn't make sense that my CD Drive was messed up.. Soo.... Off to the "Plextor" site.. where I go an update both my CD and DVD drive (Both Plextors).. And guess what.. Far Cry loads up perfectly. (not using the no CD hack).. So.. Moral of the story.. Make sure your CD drive is up to date with the latest firmware...

Good luck to all