PDA

View Full Version : What else are big-time AC fans playing???

IWGCJoeCool
01-25-2013, 01:30 PM
just curious here....

this is mostly for the everyday posters and fans here, but anyone's answer is welcome.

i cant seem to find another game or series that has the great storytelling and action of AC. i've played demos and watched a ton of trailers and YouTube walkthroughs. i cant much find anything and 1st-person stuff gives me a headache. i had played ACs' 1, 2, and now through 3 awaiting the Tyranny episodes. i was taking a pass on Brotherhood and Revelations, but picked them up yesterday cuz i cant find anything better.

so the question is pretty simple....if AC rings most of your bells, what else are you buying and playing?

JC

Sushiglutton
01-25-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm playing Darksiders 2 atm, which I think is excellent. The gameplay is a lot of fun (much better than AC3) and I dig the artstyle. It's not as mature as AC (funny how mature games have the dumbest gameplay). The game is a mixture of Zelda (dungeons, puzzles, gadgets etc), Prince of Percia (platforming), Diablo (loot), God of War (combat) and Portal (won't spoil why lol). It's a tribute to gaming imo.

I'm looking forward the most to Metal Gear Revengeance. The demo was an absolute blast, once you got the hang of it ;). Platinum are experts at crafting great action mechanics.

kuled2012
01-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Far Cry 3, it's the best thing ever (and this is coming from a hater of FPS games)

the_atm
01-25-2013, 03:10 PM
oh boy big question... well aside from other AC games I'm playing NFS: Most Wanted, the new one. and a tad bit of BF3, a wee bit of Fallout 3 and Skyrim and some Dust 514 (I was in closed beta since July so i've been playing for a while) and Terraria. oh and Red Dead Redemption!

EllisEverTellYa
01-25-2013, 03:35 PM
TES4 Oblivion, Rome Total war and Prince of Persia Warrior within! :cool:

montagemik
01-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Devil May Cry - Sleeping Dogs - Prototype 2 ............Waiting for Aliens:Colonial marines.

Megas_Doux
01-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Witcher 2: The Assassin of Kings!
And my all time favorites of God of War and Metal Gear Solid!
FIFA 13 and Super street fighter 4 arcade edition.

UncappedWheel82
01-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Dark Void

Skyrim

Crysis 2

Dead Space series

Those are the games on my list at the moment, but I've also got a few more on my back-log that need to be played like Bioshock, Alan Wake, and a few others.

UrDeviant1
01-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Mostly AC3 multiplayer, A bit of Mortal Kombat too. I might actually go back and play all the AC series again. I have Blops2 and Halo4 but can't muster the will-power to play them.

PandaPuff86
01-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Mostly AC MP, but the only games that will pull me away from MP is a great story game that will catch my attention. One game that will do the trick as of now is Last Of Us. Other games will make me finish just to complete it if I get bored with AC MP will probably be Silent Hill 2 and 3, FF13-2, Bayonetta, and others I forget.

Turul.
01-25-2013, 05:39 PM
if youre looking for another awesome stealth assassin game play dishonored.

that is an awesome game

silvermercy
01-25-2013, 05:50 PM
DISHONORED! I can't recommend it enough! Loved the steampunk and Victorian London medieval feel. It also has a subtle AC feel when it comes to the assassin!

Other than that: Red Dead Redemption and Fallout 3. Before that Dead Space 1 & 2, and Bioshock 1 & 2.

But seriously go get Dishonored...

Assassin_M
01-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Games I still play.

-Sleeping Dogs
-Testament of Sherlock Holmes
-Digimon Adventure RPG
-Dishonored
-Journey
-Red Dead Redemption (UN)
-Far Cry 3
-Death bound

pacmanate
01-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Just Far Cry 3 and Black Ops 2 at the moment. Haven't touched AC3 in 2 weeks. Don't even plan too until Feb.

D.I.D.
01-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Dishonored is a much better game than AC3. I've beaten it twice for Clean Hands (no kills, no detections), and it's interesting comparing notes with people: I'd seen things and found parts of the story that they hadn't, and they'd found routes I'd never imagined would be there.

Unfortunately it's 1st-person, but if you play on PC you can change the FOV which might help with your headaches (don't know if console versions do that or not).

Gi1t
01-25-2013, 07:18 PM
First, the two obvious ones, Prince of Persia and Darksiders, which have already been mentioned. Honestly, there aren't many games out there that have story and action and open world free-running in equal measure. I had some problems with Skyrim, personally, but if you don't have it already, it ought to keep you occupied for a VERY long time. I'd say its action is pretty even in quality with AC. In search of a good story, I'v'e been playing more RPGs to fill the hole left by the abandoned Prince of Persia series. Games like Tales of Vesperia, and before that Star Ocean 4 (I have a 360). Oh, and if you like online play, Dark Souls is an excellent piece of work. I have it, but am planning on trading it in since I can't use the onlline features and I feel like it's just missing something without that. Still, even with the bad translations, it's a really well-designed action game, and I hope From Software makes an offline action game one of these days. :D

YuurHeen
01-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Playing the best game ever again because of the tweet of 3doggy. (for the ones blind to the truth: fallout 3) :P

abig84
01-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Far Cry 3, it's the best thing ever (and this is coming from a hater of FPS games)

yeah i agree i hate all those first person shooter games and love far cry 3 even with the random bug here and there. other then that ill occasionally play dead island or resident evil 5

Dead1y-Derri
01-25-2013, 08:21 PM
just curious here....

this is mostly for the everyday posters and fans here, but anyone's answer is welcome.

i cant seem to find another game or series that has the great storytelling and action of AC. i've played demos and watched a ton of trailers and YouTube walkthroughs. i cant much find anything and 1st-person stuff gives me a headache. i had played ACs' 1, 2, and now through 3 awaiting the Tyranny episodes. i was taking a pass on Brotherhood and Revelations, but picked them up yesterday cuz i cant find anything better.

so the question is pretty simple....if AC rings most of your bells, what else are you buying and playing?

JC

i'm currently playing Hitman Absolution and Dishonored,

pacmanate
01-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Far Cry 3 may have a bug or two, but AC3 has a bug and a million

i WiLL aM
01-25-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't have many games, but I bought Crackdown yesterday for £3. Very different from AC3 and has a pretty bad storyline but it's great for just having a bit of fun for a very cheap price. Aside from AC3, the best game I have got is Skyrim, one of my all time favourites. I also managed to bag myself the first AC (which I never got to play) for £5, so I am going to go and start that right now....

SixKeys
01-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Red Dead Redemption is probably the closest to AC3 as far as games go (big open world with animals and hunting, interacting with people, lots of side missions etc.). It's one of my favorite games and will keep you busy for days.

I've also been playing XCom: Enemy Unknown recently. It's the first RTS game I've ever played and I'm having a lot of fun. Even if you're not into traditional RTS games, this one's got enough action to keep you engaged.

BATISTABUS
01-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Red Dead Redemption. It has some elements comparable to AC, but it's just an all-around phenomenal game.

YuurHeen
01-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Red Dead Redemption is probably the closest to AC3 as far as games go (big open world with animals and hunting, interacting with people, lots of side missions etc.). It's one of my favorite games and will keep you busy for days.

I've also been playing XCom: Enemy Unknown recently. It's the first RTS game I've ever played and I'm having a lot of fun. Even if you're not into traditional RTS games, this one's got enough action to keep you engaged.

XCOM is not an RTS. RTS = real time strategie. XCom is turn-based.

Kaschra
01-26-2013, 12:43 AM
Right now?
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
It was about time to replay that one again, the last time I played it was 2007 :I
And it's so much fun!

I also love the Final Fantasy series, Suikoden V, Okami, Uncharted... I used to love racing games (especially Need for Speed), but nowadays not so much anymore.

I think I might buy Journey next, it looks pretty awesome.

CalgaryJay
01-26-2013, 01:13 AM

Been hearing a lot about this game, methinks I may have to try it. I heart (well done) natural environments in video games. Only thing that's kept me back is I too hate FPS games. But hearing a fellow FPS hater loving it certainly helps.

And I'm currently playing Sleeping Dogs and messing around with RDR again.

roostersrule2
01-26-2013, 03:05 AM
I'm playing RDR, GTA4, Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs and LA Noire ATM and I would recommend them all if you're into open world game, especially RDR it has some very AC like traits and Is just an all round perfect game. I've heard amazing things from FC3 but I hate the FP part of it, Skyrim is the only FP open world game I can stand.

SixKeys
01-26-2013, 04:02 AM
Right now?
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
It was about time to replay that one again, the last time I played it was 2007 :I
And it's so much fun!

I also love the Final Fantasy series, Suikoden V, Okami, Uncharted... I used to love racing games (especially Need for Speed), but nowadays not so much anymore.

I think I might buy Journey next, it looks pretty awesome.

Journey is fantastic, my personal GOTY for 2012.

Gi1t
01-26-2013, 04:06 AM
I'm playing RDR, GTA4, Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs and LA Noire ATM and I would recommend them all if you're into open world game, especially RDR it has some very AC like traits and Is just an all round perfect game. I've heard amazing things from FC3 but I hate the FP part of it, Skyrim is the only FP open world game I can stand.I pretty much never play Elder Scrolls OR Fallout 3 in first person unless I'm aiming. Fallout 3 has basically the same controls as Elder Scrolls, including the ability to switch between first and third person at any time. The part of Fallout I'm not fond of is the post-apocalyptic setting. I'm just sick of that setting and of messy, run-down environments in general to be honest. -__-

roostersrule2
01-26-2013, 04:19 AM
I pretty much never play Elder Scrolls OR Fallout 3 in first person unless I'm aiming. Fallout 3 has basically the same controls as Elder Scrolls, including the ability to switch between first and third person at any time. The part of Fallout I'm not fond of is the post-apocalyptic setting. I'm just sick of that setting and of messy, run-down environments in general to be honest. -__-I think the only reason I play it in FP is because it's pretty unrealistic and you're not limited by it, like you are in FC.

n97e
01-26-2013, 06:31 AM
I've been playing Xcom, Mount and Blade Warband, Fallout NV, and planetside 2 quite a bit lately.

IWGCJoeCool
01-26-2013, 01:22 PM
wow and thanx everyone, including the contributing vets of this forum. i expected a handful of replies, that of course, if this thread didnt quickly sink to the bottom of page 2.

there were too many replies and good points to just pick a single one to quote. RDR is strong here, and say what you want about bugs and glitches, Ubisoft seems to be putting out the best product in general.

i'm not a "gamer" by any means, and started mostly on the Wii with the Tiger Woods series, before EA put fresh bullets in the franchise each year. now i'm a 360-er and happy about it. one thing struck me greatly, and why i mentioned that i wasnt a gamer...how many of the apparant FPS games can be switched to 3rd person by the player. for example, i watched some YouTube of Skyrim and Dishonored, and though i might have gone for it, the 1st-person killed it. can they be played in 3rd person?

i have played L.A. Noire and liked it, and hope to see another installment. the Sherlock Holmes stuff seems clunky and drab, dissapointing this Holmes fan no end!. Far Cry and Hitman just seem over-the-top violent and bloody and i'm looking more for something to think more and kill less. Dishonored does seem similar to AC, and i like that there are many who pride themselves on going hands-clean and stealthy...if i can go 3rd-person, i'm on it right after Brotherhood, Revelations, and the ACIII DLC.

thanx again everyone, and to the mods here for letting this slightly off-topic thread live.

JC

roostersrule2
01-26-2013, 02:09 PM
wow and thanx everyone, including the contributing vets of this forum. i expected a handful of replies, that of course, if this thread didnt quickly sink to the bottom of page 2.

there were too many replies and good points to just pick a single one to quote. RDR is strong here, and say what you want about bugs and glitches, Ubisoft seems to be putting out the best product in general.

i'm not a "gamer" by any means, and started mostly on the Wii with the Tiger Woods series, before EA put fresh bullets in the franchise each year. now i'm a 360-er and happy about it. one thing struck me greatly, and why i mentioned that i wasnt a gamer...how many of the apparant FPS games can be switched to 3rd person by the player. for example, i watched some YouTube of Skyrim and Dishonored, and though i might have gone for it, the 1st-person killed it. can they be played in 3rd person?

i have played L.A. Noire and liked it, and hope to see another installment. the Sherlock Holmes stuff seems clunky and drab, dissapointing this Holmes fan no end!. Far Cry and Hitman just seem over-the-top violent and bloody and i'm looking more for something to think more and kill less. Dishonored does seem similar to AC, and i like that there are many who pride themselves on going hands-clean and stealthy...if i can go 3rd-person, i'm on it right after Brotherhood, Revelations, and the ACIII DLC.

thanx again everyone, and to the mods here for letting this slightly off-topic thread live.

JCSkyrim can be first and third person.

xboxauditore
01-26-2013, 02:24 PM
I've been playing Far Cry 3 and Bioshock so far, I've never played a better game since batman Arkham Asylum, I highly recommend Bioshock. Give it a try, Would you kindly?

Gil_217
01-26-2013, 05:35 PM
The Mass Effect games.

I was very much afraid to buy them because I'm not a fan of futuristic sci-fi games, but thank God I did, they are superb on every level. Already completed the first two games, I'm now on the last one. Recommend them to every gamer.

Recently completed Far Cry 3, The Walking Dead, MGS4 (again), Heavy Rain (again) and Max Payne (the original). All fantastic games.

Gi1t
01-26-2013, 09:16 PM
wow and thanx everyone, including the contributing vets of this forum. i expected a handful of replies, that of course, if this thread didnt quickly sink to the bottom of page 2.there were too many replies and good points to just pick a single one to quote. RDR is strong here, and say what you want about bugs and glitches, Ubisoft seems to be putting out the best product in general.i'm not a "gamer" by any means, and started mostly on the Wii with the Tiger Woods series, before EA put fresh bullets in the franchise each year. now i'm a 360-er and happy about it. one thing struck me greatly, and why i mentioned that i wasnt a gamer...how many of the apparant FPS games can be switched to 3rd person by the player. for example, i watched some YouTube of Skyrim and Dishonored, and though i might have gone for it, the 1st-person killed it. can they be played in 3rd person?i have played L.A. Noire and liked it, and hope to see another installment. the Sherlock Holmes stuff seems clunky and drab, dissapointing this Holmes fan no end!. Far Cry and Hitman just seem over-the-top violent and bloody and i'm looking more for something to think more and kill less. Dishonored does seem similar to AC, and i like that there are many who pride themselves on going hands-clean and stealthy...if i can go 3rd-person, i'm on it right after Brotherhood, Revelations, and the ACIII DLC.thanx again everyone, and to the mods here for letting this slightly off-topic thread live.JCYes, in Skyrim, you can switch between first and third person at any time by clicking the right thumbstick. I actually play in third person all the time unless I need to aim something or manipulate things at very close range (picking up small objects etc.)

poptartz20
01-26-2013, 09:48 PM
well... let's see. I play, Unchared (the series), Bioshock, Farcry 3, Dragon Age, Skyrim, God of War, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Batman Arkham Asylum... let's see that's all I can really think of for now. I hope this helps! :)

Toa TAK
01-26-2013, 11:58 PM
I've been playing a lot of Halo 4 lately.

SleezeRocker
01-27-2013, 04:46 AM
well... let's see. I play, Unchared (the series), Bioshock, Farcry 3, Dragon Age, Skyrim, God of War, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Batman Arkham Asylum... let's see that's all I can really think of for now. I hope this helps! :)

I think Joecool said he was X360 player so PS games like Uncharted may be a no go ;)

-elder scrolls games Oblivion and SKyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas can be played in first/third person and have good length to play em!
-I would definately recommend the Metal Gear Solid Collection. If you like Stealth then you'll love MGS CL (cough cough MGS3 Snake eater!)
-the dead space games are fun so if you like massacring zombies limb by limb (literally) then you'll like Dead Space

I don't know too many X360 games but I know liked Left 4 Dead games. They were fun!

AssassinVenice
01-27-2013, 06:32 AM
I've been playing the Mass Effect Trilogy, Skyrim, Prince of Persia (2008), Bayonetta, Batman AA & AC, Far Cry 3, and still waiting for games like GTA V, The Last of Us, and Tomb Raider to come out this year!

It's gonna be real busy playing around this year.:cool:

VitaminsXYZ
01-27-2013, 10:29 AM
I recently picked up the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus collection for the ps3.

Wow, I've really missed out....

poptartz20
01-27-2013, 12:06 PM
I think Joecool said he was X360 player so PS games like Uncharted may be a no go ;)

-elder scrolls games Oblivion and SKyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas can be played in first/third person and have good length to play em!
-I would definately recommend the Metal Gear Solid Collection. If you like Stealth then you'll love MGS CL (cough cough MGS3 Snake eater!)
-the dead space games are fun so if you like massacring zombies limb by limb (literally) then you'll like Dead Space

I don't know too many X360 games but I know liked Left 4 Dead games. They were fun!

It's not my fault he decided to buy an xbox and limit his gaming experince to FPS. Haha.. No, but really I didn't see that. :D my bad. Also ... he might have a ps3.. collecting dust somwhere?

IWGCJoeCool
01-27-2013, 02:02 PM
It's not my fault he decided to buy an xbox and limit his gaming experince to FPS. Haha.. No, but really I didn't see that. :D my bad. Also ... he might have a ps3.. collecting dust somwhere?

hardy har har....no sorry, no dusty consoles laying about. when i bought the Wii a few years back, i flip-flopped back and forth for weeks between the three consoles. it wasnt an economic decision, rather the best overall choice for family entertainment. likewise was getting the 360 late in 2011...it was the overall XBox Live features that made the deal. i will admit to be slightly swayed by the fact that Forza-4 didnt play on a Sony. my biggest gripe with the Wii (and i'm not complaing about the graphics) was that there wasnt one good racing game for it that didnt involve being bombed by turtle shells. plus, while all the PS3 and 360 guys were sittin on their butowskis with controllers, i was up, about, and swinging a Wii-Mote on Tiger Woods' 7 thru 12.**

**how that franchise advertised more and delivered less over the years is the main reason i shy away from anything with EA on the box, and why i resist every time Mass Effect looks like a good idea.

anyway, thanx again group for the info, please keep it coming. it will help me, and maybe some others.

JC

SixKeys
01-27-2013, 02:17 PM
**how that franchise advertised more and delivered less over the years is the main reason i shy away from anything with EA on the box, and why i resist every time Mass Effect looks like a good idea.

EA didn't have anything to do with Mass Effect until ME3, so the first two games should be worthwhile at least. The only real complaint I keep hearing about regarding ME3 (besides the ending) is Origin, the game client developed by EA (similar to Uplay).

IWGCJoeCool
01-27-2013, 02:37 PM
EA didn't have anything to do with Mass Effect until ME3, so the first two games should be worthwhile at least. The only real complaint I keep hearing about regarding ME3 (besides the ending) is Origin, the game client developed by EA (similar to Uplay).

yes, thanx, i knew that, but if my AC experience is any indication, i'll be in for a penny, in for a pound. so if i played MEs' 1 and 2, got to 3, i would want to go on. i know that some of the faithful get critical of Ubisoft here sometimes, but EA is light years ahead in glitchy/buggy games, and the crummy customer service with matching forums that comes with.

and hey, if i didnt get this across, i'm carefully reading each and every reply to all this.

JC

IWGCJoeCool
01-27-2013, 02:39 PM

i would give my left hidden blade to be playing Uncharted!!!

JC

DomdudeDaGreat
01-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Skyrim

poptartz20
01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
hardy har har....no sorry, no dusty consoles laying about. when i bought the Wii a few years back, i flip-flopped back and forth for weeks between the three consoles. it wasnt an economic decision, rather the best overall choice for family entertainment. likewise was getting the 360 late in 2011...it was the overall XBox Live features that made the deal. i will admit to be slightly swayed by the fact that Forza-4 didnt play on a Sony. my biggest gripe with the Wii (and i'm not complaing about the graphics) was that there wasnt one good racing game for it that didnt involve being bombed by turtle shells. plus, while all the PS3 and 360 guys were sittin on their butowskis with controllers, i was up, about, and swinging a Wii-Mote on Tiger Woods' 7 thru 12.**

anyway, thanx again group for the info, please keep it coming. it will help me, and maybe some others.

JC

Haha.. funny you should say that! I did the exact same thing..I went back and forth between the systems. Then slowly my decision narrowed after time.. My friends had wii's and I felt they overall just fell short considering there were no third party games and Mario and Zelda games even though I love each just was not enough for me to buy a system for those alone. Then I turned my eyes to the Xbox. I had though about it and almost had a solid decision.(this was during the time the RRoD was running rampant) and Bam! in the middle of playing a game with another friend of mine the screen turns red! and eventually died out. This was her 3rd xbox. There I was left with my true decision! :) THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE! lol. I've had it for 3.5 years now and I'm honestly glad that I purchased it considering I had always been a ps owner. Not to mention the exclusives that I love and enjoy..

Sorry I didn't mean to turn this into a fangirl rant on ps3. Haha.

kriegerdesgottes
01-27-2013, 05:01 PM
The only other games I ever play are RDR and the Arkham games. I picked up Far Cry 3 recently but I'm having trouble getting myself to finish it. I don't care for the first person mode all the time.

Kaschra
01-27-2013, 07:53 PM
I just played Journey.
Simply... beautiful ;__;

Assassin_M
01-27-2013, 08:07 PM
I just played Journey.
Simply... beautiful ;__;
Worth every penny...

No dialogue....No story....Just this.

AjinkyaParuleka
01-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Started the entire Mass Effect series,in ME3 now.Bioware sure knows how to make RPGs,got geth and quarians coop,cured the genophage,got Javik,mostly paragon choices,6000+ ems.In Priority:Horizon now.also I imported saves from previous games.Can't wait for DA3:Inquisitor and Mass Effect 4.

Gi1t
01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
hardy har har....no sorry, no dusty consoles laying about. when i bought the Wii a few years back, i flip-flopped back and forth for weeks between the three consoles. it wasnt an economic decision, rather the best overall choice for family entertainment. likewise was getting the 360 late in 2011...it was the overall XBox Live features that made the deal. i will admit to be slightly swayed by the fact that Forza-4 didnt play on a Sony. my biggest gripe with the Wii (and i'm not complaing about the graphics) was that there wasnt one good racing game for it that didnt involve being bombed by turtle shells. plus, while all the PS3 and 360 guys were sittin on their butowskis with controllers, i was up, about, and swinging a Wii-Mote on Tiger Woods' 7 thru 12.****how that franchise advertised more and delivered less over the years is the main reason i shy away from anything with EA on the box, and why i resist every time Mass Effect looks like a good idea.anyway, thanx again group for the info, please keep it coming. it will help me, and maybe some others.JCWait, you have a Wii then? In that case, definitely look into Zelda. They all have big worlds that you can explore at your own pace, and allow freeroaming increasingly as the plot advances. They also have a very good balance between combat, exploratiion, story and puzzle work. :D

Gi1t
01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Haha.. funny you should say that! I did the exact same thing..I went back and forth between the systems. Then slowly my decision narrowed after time.. My friends had wii's and I felt they overall just fell short considering there were no third party games and Mario and Zelda games even though I love each just was not enough for me to buy a system for those alone. Then I turned my eyes to the Xbox. I had though about it and almost had a solid decision.(this was during the time the RRoD was running rampant) and Bam! in the middle of playing a game with another friend of mine the screen turns red! and eventually died out. This was her 3rd xbox. There I was left with my true decision! :) THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE! lol. I've had it for 3.5 years now and I'm honestly glad that I purchased it considering I had always been a ps owner. Not to mention the exclusives that I love and enjoy.. Sorry I didn't mean to turn this into a fangirl rant on ps3. Haha.Yeah, please none of that. -__- I've been sick of hearing console wars stuff since that generation started. (I have a 360 that dates back to the launch and it's lasted much longer than 3.5 years, on the other hand, my friend with a PS3 currently needs it repaired. Experiences will vary regardless of which one you buy. It's just an unfortunate problem with computer-based consumer-grade technology. They just don't have the lifespans of cartridge-based systems. Hopefully, lifespans will be a part of the agenda with the new ones coming out.)Sorry if this ends up being a double post.

IWGCJoeCool
01-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Wait, you have a Wii then? In that case, definitely look into Zelda. They all have big worlds that you can explore at your own pace, and allow freeroaming increasingly as the plot advances. They also have a very good balance between combat, exploratiion, story and puzzle work. :D

actually, no, i used it to trade at Gamestop for my 360-Slim. the kid has the other Wii, so it's not like i couldnt play it, but it aint hooked up to the bigscreen. i ditched all the games i had for it too.

regarding console lifespans....the original 360, fat and white, was cursed with a heat problem. it was too noisy too. i had one of those first. i had mucho problems, and even games that wouldnt boot. all that went bye-bye when i finally said ### it, and bought the brandy new, 250 Gig Slim. the 20 Gigs i had on the white wasnt going to cut it for long anyway. anyway, between games and Netflix, this console is on more than it's off per 24 hours. i'll close this little history with a cautionary...any smokers out there? i got smart and stopped smoking in the house, at all, let alone in the same room as the console. geeez, have any of you ever seen the innards of a game console from a smoker house? if anyone has ever seen those nasty lung pix that should scare you, a firsthand look at the gutz of a smoker Wii might accomplish that too. the crud solidifies on the electronics and stickies dust to everything. it will also take years off of a CD/DVD/BluRay drive too.

i'm currently enjoying Brotherhood, picked that and Revelations up last week to complete the stories and keep me occupied until Feb 19th. after that, i'll probably jump on Skyrim, or RDR, or both, or more, or something releasing this year, or all of the above.

JC

SixKeys
01-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Worth every penny...

No dialogue....No story....Just this.

There was a story, just not an overly complex one.

ToughGuy31
01-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Currently, Shadow of the colossus and Ico, but I'm interested in getting Uncharted 3 and Watch dogs.

Assassin_M
01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
There was a story, just not an overly complex one.

not really. you create the story....it can differ from one person to another.

it was stated by the developers.

SixKeys
01-28-2013, 10:06 PM
not really. you create the story....it can differ from one person to another.

it was stated by the developers.

Yes, but it's still a story. Poker is a game that has no story...

trever09
01-28-2013, 11:08 PM
The Uncharted Series shows the great story telling and movie delivery as ACIII, Uncharted 3 is literally like a movie.

RinoTheBouncer
01-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
Final Fantasy
Devil May Cry
Uncharted
Metal Gear Solid
Heavy Rain
Prototype

andreja110s
01-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Prototype( thinking about buying Prototype 2), Sacred 2: Fallen angel, James Cameron´s Avatar: The game, Trine 2, Caesar 3. And trying not to s*** myself while playing Dead space 2...

InfectedNation
01-29-2013, 01:02 PM
I picked up the Witcher 2 on Sunday and have been glued to it since, once you get the prologue out of the way, the story really hooks you, and the combat is decently balanced when you're outnumbered.

jills toy
01-29-2013, 06:37 PM
ME3, waiting for the next Tomb Raider

ZerOtodona
01-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Journey, Flower and AC3 multi and that's about it. By the way, Journey was better and cheaper, but I still love AC3.

lothario-da-be
01-29-2013, 09:44 PM
I will sum up some of my games/ franchises
1 Darksiders JUST BUY IT!!!
2 Total war BEST Strategy franchise ever
3 Dark messiah Awesome!!!, my first +18 game and i love it despite the fact that i absolutly HATE RPG's
4 red dead redemption best open world game

5 Uncharted very good graphics and story
6 God of war Hack and slash on its best

7 Prince of persia This was my childhood and 2nd best hach and slasher/ platformer

8 Dante's inferno very good game
9 Batman arkham city
10 Devil may cry
11 hunted the demon's forge
12 bulletstorm
13 Call of....................................... Juarez bound in blood
14 heavenly sword
But ac is my favorite franchise.

dogziler
02-12-2013, 11:02 PM
well, this will take a while to think about
just cause 2 is great for grand theft auto action
skyrim, home of the nerd/nords
i played through mark of the ninja and loved it
stealthy games.
lots of third person shooters but not gears of war and not most first persons shooters, except for dishonored
minecraft lol so addicting speaks for itself
and transformers fall of cybertron which is a good third person shooter.
i also for got to mention i,m love bioshock 2s story but not multiplayer and am going to get bioshock infinite

Rugterwyper32
02-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Currently playing Dead Space 2 (trying to beat Zealot difficulty for once), Pokemon Black 2 and replaying Kid Chameleon for the 1000th time (I make a point to play it at least once a month so no game feels too difficult). Also thinking about starting a new character in Morrowind, seeing how I haven't played that in a while.
I also recently finished Red Dead Redemption and my replay of Castlevania Order of Eclessia

rileypoole1234
02-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs, AC2 I occasionally pop in GTA 4, and I'm just starting to play Witcher 2.

SaintPerkele
02-13-2013, 12:27 AM
i,m love bioshock 2s story but not multiplayer
:nonchalance: Seriously..? Bioshock 2's multiplayer was suprisingly fun, but the story was (at least compared to the masterpiece that is BS1) pretty lame.

Not listing every game I've ever played on here, but my most favourite recent franchises/games I spent the most time with.
Bioshock 1, Team Fortress 2, Fallout 3 (+NV to some extent), Portal 1+2, TES5, probably in that order.

And Dishonored, but I'm not too sure where to put it exactly. I loved the setting, the gameplay and.. actually everything. But compared to the other franchises (apart from Portal, maybe), I spent so little time with it, that I can't really say. Bought the first DLC, had great fun, now waiting for the story-related ones. If it is indeed turned into a franchise, it might sooner or later be somewhere at the top of my list.

Gi1t
02-13-2013, 12:52 AM
:nonchalance: Seriously..? Bioshock 2's multiplayer was suprisingly fun, but the story was (at least compared to the masterpiece that is BS1) pretty lame.

I disagree, I wasn't really impressed or intrigued by the first game's story. It had the same problem as a lot of games I played. I was interested in knowing what happened next, but I had no opinon on it. I didn't care what happened to anyone. In the second game, I actually did have an opinion on what I wanted to happen, and I prefer games like that.

SaintPerkele
02-13-2013, 01:09 AM
I disagree, I wasn't really impressed or intrigued by the first game's story. It had the same problem as a lot of games I played. I was interested in knowing what happened next, but I had no opinon on it. I didn't care what happened to anyone. In the second game, I actually did have an opinion on what I wanted to happen, and I prefer games like that.
Frankly, that does not say much about the story of the game, but only about the fact that you were rather emotionally bond with characters from the sequel than the first part. Bioshock 1's story was not really about what happened next (and neither were the characters really likeable, literally not a single one - and I like that rather than the usual black/white-stuff), it was the setting, finding out about the background of the city through diaries, even the music and the philosophy was somehow part of the story; and, besides that, some of the best plot twists ever in a game.
Bioshock 2 just reused the setting, but didn't really do it justice. The story was predictable, the characters were, in comparison to Bioshock 1, too stereotypical. And the "good"-ending featured way too much cheesy sunset for me.
Well, it's my opinion. Don't get it wrong, Bioshock 2 was a good game and many of the gameplay mechanics were refined. But for me it will never come close to Bioshock 1, which is still my most favourite game ever. You could tell that Ken Levine wasn't responsible for it - and just because of him, I'm already so excited for Infinite.

Gi1t
02-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Frankly, that does not say much about the story of the game, but only about the fact that you were rather emotionally bond with characters from the sequel than the first part. Bioshock 1's story was not really about what happened next (and neither were the characters really likeable, literally not a single one - and I like that rather than the usual black/white-stuff), it was the setting, finding out about the background of the city through diaries, even the music and the philosophy was somehow part of the story; and, besides that, some of the best plot twists ever in a game.
Bioshock 2 just reused the setting, but didn't really do it justice. The story was predictable, the characters were, in comparison to Bioshock 1, too stereotypical. And the "good"-ending featured way too much cheesy sunset for me.
Well, it's my opinion. Don't get it wrong, Bioshock 2 was a good game and many of the gameplay mechanics were refined. But for me it will never come close to Bioshock 1, which is still my most favourite game ever. You could tell that Ken Levine wasn't responsible for it - and just because of him, I'm already so excited for Infinite.

I'll take that. Bioshock really brought in something people thought was nearly impossible: a new type of world to explore, and Bioshock 2 was a case of sequelitis, in that it pretty much just reintroduced various aspects of the world instead of offering something new. It retraced the idea, but didn't expand on it, focusing instead on its own story. :)

I have, however encountered plenty of characters that weren't just black/white good/evil characters that I actually liked. I've always felt like the characters were the most imprtant thing to me because if I liked them, I could still enjoy the story even if the plot wasn't that good, since I couldn't help but enjoy anything that happened to the characters, whereas, a game with a great plot could still fall flat because I didn't care about anything that was going on. Still, I think you're right that Bioshock had a lot of merit in the philosophy the drove the creation of Rapture. I wonder if it wouldn't have been even better to go with a more minimalist approach in terms of characters and have fewer interactions with people and more of an empty and mysterious feel to it.

EDIT: OF course, these points of view might not be so far apart. It might also be feasible to say that the philosophies represented in Bioshock combined with the harsh reality of the human conditiion that brought Rapture to ruin (and so on) could be the equivalent of a character. There may be no physical person representing it, but it nonetheless shares some of the same qualities that make actual characters appealing to us.

pirate1802
02-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Currently playing:

Sleeping Dogs
Alan Wake
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Darksiders 1

Annnd the game I can't stop playing: Borderlands 2!!!

Plan on doing a full series playthrough of AC sometime after March. :)

IWGCJoeCool
02-13-2013, 02:11 PM
thanx to everyone who is still tellin' and talkin', and gave me some ideas. i did pick up a preowned Halo-3, and like i thought, i dont dig the 1st person. i got an answer i could use on Skyrim, and it's a GO soon. i kinda hate being waaaaay too late to parties, so i might just take a swing at the new Tomb Raider as well...as i'm old and didnt waste puberty on the rest of the series.

there is "downtime" as well, and i do enjoy both Full House Poker and Pinball FX(2) as well on my XBox. i'm the guy wearing the AC Brotherhood Ezio avatar robes. i wont go into the Kinect titles i have....as they are either overly simplified or overly frustrating. however, i'm reading good things over at the EA Sports Forums about the upcoming Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 release. if they solved the Kinect integration i might be able to get off the couch for a few hours a day again soon. TW13 turned out to be the Star Trek V of the series for many.

JC

SaintPerkele
02-13-2013, 04:14 PM
I'll take that. Bioshock really brought in something people thought was nearly impossible: a new type of world to explore, and Bioshock 2 was a case of sequelitis, in that it pretty much just reintroduced various aspects of the world instead of offering something new. It retraced the idea, but didn't expand on it, focusing instead on its own story. :)

I have, however encountered plenty of characters that weren't just black/white good/evil characters that I actually liked. I've always felt like the characters were the most imprtant thing to me because if I liked them, I could still enjoy the story even if the plot wasn't that good, since I couldn't help but enjoy anything that happened to the characters, whereas, a game with a great plot could still fall flat because I didn't care about anything that was going on. Still, I think you're right that Bioshock had a lot of merit in the philosophy the drove the creation of Rapture. I wonder if it wouldn't have been even better to go with a more minimalist approach in terms of characters and have fewer interactions with people and more of an empty and mysterious feel to it.

EDIT: OF course, these points of view might not be so far apart. It might also be feasible to say that the philosophies represented in Bioshock combined with the harsh reality of the human conditiion that brought Rapture to ruin (and so on) could be the equivalent of a character. There may be no physical person representing it, but it nonetheless shares some of the same qualities that make actual characters appealing to us.
Could not agree more, well said. I almost feel bad to reply to this fantastic comment with one sentence, but as some developer put it: Rapture is actually the main "character" of the first two games.

Katelady13
02-13-2013, 08:36 PM
well since for some reason NO ONE said this game WHICH I THINK IS AWSOME

BORDERLANDS 2 > : )

IWGCJoeCool
02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
for anyone looking for some variety, or something more casual...

check out the new tables for Pinball FX/2. first, and for the XBox crowd, a few tables that were either on the Playstation or PC have come to XBL, including the Tesla table.

but the bigger news is the 3-table Star Wars Collection, just hit XBL yesterday, i guess. all have some signature Star Wars stuff, and music. there is also a Street Fighter table on it's own, and a misleadingly titled Civil War, which is just another Marvel superheroes tie-in for the movies (i guess). all the Marvel tables are "OK", i guess, but i dont understand all the stuff that Zen does with that universe. i mean, i like all the Marvel stuff, from the 12 cent comics of my youth, to all the Hollywood treatments, but there are just too many pinball tables.

WOWSERS!!!! on that latest Watchdog video for the PS4, and when they say "all consoles" i hope they mean it, cuz the game is looking better with every new reveal. i want it for my 360, and i dont want to buy a PS4, or any new console yet for that matter.

thanx

JC

pirate1802
02-27-2013, 06:02 PM
well since for some reason NO ONE said this game WHICH I THINK IS AWSOME

BORDERLANDS 2 > : )

How did I forget that! :O Yeah I still play it.. What a game. infinite replayability

SixKeys
02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Just started The Walking Dead, so far so good.

DisbandedBox359
02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
just finished dishonored recently great game, now working my way through the mass effect trilogy and liking it so far

Aphex_Tim
02-27-2013, 07:06 PM
I just picked up The Darkness 2 yesterday and i'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than i initially expected.
I love The Darkness 1 for it's atmosphere so i was kinda skeptic about 2 but i really like that it has it's own style in both storytelling and gameplay!

Sushiglutton
02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
L.A. Noire, got it for €10 on Steam. Have just solved a couple of cases. Meh not sure about this one yet lol.

TheHumanTowel
02-27-2013, 07:22 PM
L.A. Noire, got it for €10 on Steam. Have just solved a couple of cases. Meh not sure about this one yet lol.
The Homocide desk is where that game really comes into it's own imo.

Sushiglutton
02-27-2013, 07:26 PM
The Homocide desk is where that game really comes into it's own imo.

I will keep going then and see what happens!

pirate1802
02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
About to start Sleeping Dogs, got it as a gift. Thoughts on the game?

Wolf-kitten
02-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Big time Zelda fan here

IWGCJoeCool
04-21-2013, 12:15 PM
with the third and final chapter coming in two days, and most of us completing it in days, if not hours, that will be it for SP AC-III for most of us(here). so again, this being a little topical...where will you be going from here while we wait for late October and AC-IV? i just added a PS3, so dont have to be feeling left out of a series like Uncharted and a few others anymore with XBox. i've already come around to continuing on with AC on the PS3, for the little bit of extra content, and i'm pretty sure the release of the PS4 wont immediately make it(either of them) obsolete.

already also strongly considering letting the XBL-Golds lapse in favor the the PSN-Plus plan, seeing how much extra goodies i'll get....seriously, cant in my right mind justify having both...money doesnt grow on trees. and that's why new games, fresh release, full retail stuff is given great consideration...because of the cost, and for the assumed time invested.

and yeh, replays of B, R, and III, all recently played/completed, are in order too.

still favor 3rd person over 1st person stuff...but i did find while playing a Bioshock demo that reducing the RS sensitivity makes 1st-person more manageable.

JC

shobhit7777777
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Arma 2
Arma 3 Alpha
Dishonored - Knife of Dunwall DLC

Trying to like Skyrim

silvermercy
04-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Dead Space 3 and Bioshock Infinite. The latter is simply a visual feast.

lothario-da-be
04-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Currently playing
- Darksiders 2
-Guitar hero warriors of rock
-Bioschock 2

IWGCJoeCool
04-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Arma 2
Arma 3 Alpha
Dishonored - Knife of Dunwall DLC

Trying to like Skyrim

me too on the Skyrim comment... nothing wrong with this game that some climbing mechanic wouldnt fix. but it's there waiting on me whenever i need a fantasy fix. it's not a game, it's a lifetime career.

JC

lunot
04-21-2013, 01:06 PM
TES:V SKYRİM ,Age Of Empires 2,ScribbleNauts, and others I forgot

Sushiglutton
04-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Farcy 3. Have played 20+h and I have to say the sandbox is just unbelievably good, probably the best I have ever seen. Some story missions are a bit too scripted, but I don't mind when the sandbox is such a blast (the story and characters are awesome). Each and every element is fun to do and the world feels so consistent and has so much cool content that you just stumble upon. Random things happen all the time. I can see why the game got so much praise and GOTY awards last year. Has def made me more hyped for AC4:BF :).

x___Luffy___x
04-21-2013, 01:36 PM
About to start Sleeping Dogs, got it as a gift. Thoughts on the game?

awesome game :D

x___Luffy___x
04-21-2013, 01:38 PM
finished bioshock infinite. started playing AC 2 again almost after 2 years.

pacmanate
04-21-2013, 01:46 PM
finished bioshock infinite. started playing AC 2 again almost after 2 years.

"What else are big time AC fans playing"

Your answer "AC2 again." Well Done!

From the 22nd March to 1st May I will be picking up Dead Island Riptide and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

x___Luffy___x
04-21-2013, 01:52 PM
"What else are big time AC fans playing"

Your answer "AC2 again." Well Done!

From the 22nd March to 1st May I will be picking up Dead Island Riptide and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

:D

my mistake

pirate1802
04-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Got nothing to play currently, so these days my free time goes into fanpics and fanfics :P Come June, I'd be overloaded with games again (Last Light, Company of Heroes 2, Remember Me.. preordered all of them.)

roostersrule2
04-21-2013, 02:09 PM
For once I actually have too many games to play, currently replaying the ME trilogy, Have finished half of MP3 and have hardly done anything in Dragonborn. Not playing my Xbox much these days, September 17th will fix that.

pirate1802
04-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Hmm.. that reminds me, I'm yet to complete my (only) maleshep trilogy run in ME :|

roostersrule2
04-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Hmm.. that reminds me, I'm yet to complete my (only) maleshep trilogy run in ME :|Haha I finished ME1 today (No idea why but I played 2 and 3 before 1) and I really wish AC's upgraded each time like they did with these games.

pirate1802
04-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Haha I finished ME1 today (No idea why but I played 2 and 3 before 1) and I really wish AC's upgraded each time like they did with these games.

I got into the ME series right before 3 was released. Bought 1 and 2 real cheap before 3 was coming out, and finished them before I got 3 :D

pacmanate
04-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Got nothing to play currently, so these days my free time goes into fanpics and fanfics :P Come June, I'd be overloaded with games again (Last Light, Company of Heroes 2, Remember Me.. preordered all of them.)

Remember Me... I still don't understand, what is that game?

shobhit7777777
04-21-2013, 02:37 PM
me too on the Skyrim comment... nothing wrong with this game that some climbing mechanic wouldnt fix. but it's there waiting on me whenever i need a fantasy fix. it's not a game, it's a lifetime career.

JC

I know what you mean

I am being very unfair to the game TBH....I've not played it for more than 4 hours.

Truth be told....I don't see much promise in it. The core gameplay is...well, it doesn't catch my fancy. The combat is a bit clunky..the AI is a bit off...open world and all is awesome and the visuals are pleasing....but the game feels a bit clunky. Like it requires far too much grinding. The narrative...at least the way its been delivered is horrendous. The voice acting is sub-par and the animations are meh. It doesn't really draw me in

People keep telling me to level up and play the quests....but I don't see it getting any better...its quite banal.

Bethesda has put in a LOT of work into the game and it shows...but I just can't seem to enjoy it.

The funny thing is...I LOVE Arma...and the game has been called out for the exact same "faults" as I mentioned above. But in Arma 2 the scope of the sandbox is simply limitless...you can jump in and be in the middle of a battallion level engagement within minutes. It drops all pretenses and gives you a pure sandbox experience.

I'll have to dive into Skyrim again....for great justice.

Biomedical-Fire
04-21-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm a little late to the party but, I been playing Bioshock Infinite and finishing up my backlog of games that I didn't finish for one reason or another.

ACfan443
04-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I utterly detest Skyrim, it's the buggiest game I have ever played. Completing it was a chore and a frustration. It's been sitting collecting dust for the past year and I never intend to punish my PS3 again with that abominable mess.

Other than the glitches, the gameplay/story wasn't to my liking either.

pacmanate
04-21-2013, 03:08 PM
I utterly detest Skyrim, it's the buggiest game I have ever played. Completing it was a chore and a frustration. It's been sitting collecting dust for the past year and I never intend to punish my PS3 again with that abominable mess.

It was fine on 360

pirate1802
04-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Remember Me... I still don't understand, what is that game?

The combat and the setting interests me. That plus female protag.

Aphex_Tim
04-21-2013, 03:16 PM

Have you downloaded any patches?
Honestly, I've been playing Skyrim on Ps3 for many months now and have yet to encounter a single bug.

ArabianFrost
04-21-2013, 03:32 PM
I am a stealth fanatic to the core, so here are the stealth games, apart from AC3 that I still consistently play:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution :
My favourite stealth game. Possesses both an enticing plot, with realistic character and freedom of gameplay like what. Quite exciting to see the same team return for the god father of stealth games, Thief.

Dishonred :
Best stealth gameplay I have seen in a while. However, I don't appreciate the lack of plot presentation in any thing that isn't a long piece of paper that I may or may not stumble upon. One thing which could have enhanced the experience is Mirror Edge-like parkour. The city was built in a historical fashion similar to AC and would have been a dream to properly parkour.

Far Cry 3 :
Overall favourite game of the year. Can give you an adrenaline rush if you wish so, but can turn in a heart beat to a nearly all-out stealth game should you have that mindset.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier:
The dumbed down, brief stealth moments were good while they lasted.

As for non-stealth games:
Company of Heroes:
Never even knew what an RTS is before this game. Picked it up in the THQ sale (RIP) and instantly got hooked. Gradually, you start to fathom the nooks and crannies of the game. After a few frustrating initial matches for a beginner, you get this satisfying feeling that never gets old with every match.

Saint Row the Third:
A big pure bowl of fun. Pacing was amazing and the way it was diverse was unmatched. I'd even go far as to say that no two main story missions had any familiarity.

Borderlands 2:
Just picked it. For some unknown reason, I can't stop playing it. It isn't particularly unique in the area of gameplay, but God is it a hell of a lot of fun. The wacky enemies, the bombastic characters and this vast world the was void of any reason all work so well together, to make a great experience out of something that isn't particularly one in a kind or innovative.

Red Dead Redemption:
You don't even need me to talk about it.

Magicka:
A fun little ARPG that utilises an innovative spell combination system. Quite good for a few matches every now and then.

DMC:
Overall a great hack and slash game that feels less tedious and repetitive than GOW.

Torchlight 2: Again, an ARPG, but this one follows the steps of Diablo. Sometimes the game feels lifeless and repetitive, but can be awesome at times, especially with a friend.

pirate1802
04-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Company of Heroes: Never even knew what an RTS is before this game. Picked it up in the THQ sale (RIP) and instantly got hooked. Gradually, you start to fathom the nooks and crannies of the game. After a few frustrating initial matches for a beginner, you get this satisfying feeling that never gets old with every match.

Welcome to RTS games. Its a dying genre, so we should savor every game that comes our way. CoH 2 is inbound this June. :)

AntiChrist7
04-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Mainly strategy: Total War, Civilization, those are my favourites. It needs to have a historical setting though, nothing scifi or fantasy. Only exception is Anno 2070 (also Ubisoft)

Played a bit of crusader kings 2, and got EU3 for free, but havent played it.

A few years ago i played football games, but FIFA is so poorly designed, and Football Manager was too addictive and time-consuming

ArabianFrost
04-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Welcome to RTS games. Its a dying genre, so we should savor every game that comes our way. CoH 2 is inbound this June. :)

Really? With the booming popularity of StarCraft 2 both in terms of sales and the MLG scene, the genre seems far from fading. Not, at least, at the moment.

pirate1802
04-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Really? With the booming popularity of StarCraft 2 both in terms of sales and the MLG scene, the genre seems far from fading. Not, at least, at the moment.

True, but how many good RTSes come each year? Its not healthy when you have only a handful of really famous games in a genre. (and they are the only games to come out.) If you yearn for many good, diverse RTSes you'll be heartily disappointed. This year we have CoH 2 and maybe Generals 2 F2P. Thats all.

ACfan443
04-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Have you downloaded any patches?
Honestly, I've been playing Skyrim on Ps3 for many months now and have yet to encounter a single bug.

I always download patches whenever they're available. Skyrim was a nightmare even after being fully updated.

ArabianFrost
04-21-2013, 04:26 PM
True, but how many good RTSes come each year? Its not healthy when you have only a handful of really famous games in a genre. (and they are the only games to come out.) If you yearn for many good, diverse RTSes you'll be heartily disappointed. This year we have CoH 2 and maybe Generals 2 F2P. Thats all.

I don't know about you, but the RTS genre never struck me as a genre with much room for innovation and at the same time, it is one that seems very cumbersome to develop with both balance and enjoyment in mind. This seemingly withering state of the genre, is better than having one which is repetitive, saturated, low quality and lackluster. Trust me, a few good games with consistent, quality DLC is not at all appalling.

lothario-da-be
04-21-2013, 04:26 PM
It was fine on 360
I also had barely any bugs with ac3 on ps3.But look at the mass...

pirate1802
04-21-2013, 04:31 PM
I don't know about you, but the RTS genre never struck me as a genre with much room for innovation and at the same time, it is one that seems very cumbersome to develop with both balance and enjoyment in mind. This seemingly withering state of the genre, is better than having one which is repetitive, saturated, low quality and lackluster. Trust me, a few good games with consistent, quality DLC is not at all appalling.

They had their time. Back when Age of Empires and Command and Conquer were THE games of the industry. And they weren't repetitive and low quality at all. With the shooter's advent their time has come to pass. Play these games and you'll see how much scope for innovation is there in this genre. :D

ArabianFrost
04-21-2013, 04:43 PM
They had their time. Back when Age of Empires and Command and Conquer were THE games of the industry. And they weren't repetitive and low quality at all. With the shooter's advent their time has come to pass. Play these games and you'll see how much scope for innovation is there in this genre. :D

Well, your the expert, so I'll take your word on it. If I were to deduct any reason for the decline, I'd stick the blame to the consumer base that seems less and less inclined to take part in these tactical games. Thankfully though, gamers are starting to mature, slowly, but obviously. As the new generation of gamers grows up, so does their their taste in games. Eventually, these cognitive-dependant games will prevail again and the industry will return to its golden age. It's really a matter of when. Hopefully. Also, what RTS games do you recommend?

pirate1802
04-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Well, your the expert, so I'll take your word on it. If I were to deduct any reason for the decline, I'd stick the blame to the consumer base that seems less and less inclined to take part in these tactical games. Thankfully though, gamers are starting to mature, slowly, but obviously. As the new generation of gamers grows up, so does their their taste in games. Eventually, these cognitive-dependant games will prevail again and the industry will return to its golden age. It's really a matter of when. Hopefully. Also, what RTS games do you recommend?

Age of Empires, especially 2 and 3. Rise of nations, and Command and Conquer: Generals. Those are my favs. :)

And I forgot; Warcraft 3, and Starcraft 2 more recently.

Also there are Knights of Honor and Hearts of Iron II. These are technically RTS games, but are so different than the others I've mentioned that they might not please everybody. They are more like grand games of chess taking place on the whole world map, but the game takes place realtime hence RTS.

silvermercy
04-21-2013, 05:00 PM
*cough*Candy Crash Saga*cough*... :nonchalance:

ArabianFrost
04-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Age of Empires, especially 2 and 3. Rise of nations, and Command and Conquer: Generals. Those are my favs. :)

Also there are Knights of Honor and Hearts of Iron II. These are technically RTS games, but are so different than the others I've mentioned that they might not please everybody. They are more like grand games taking place on the whole world map, but the game takes place realtime hence RTS.

Awesome. That's a great collection to start with. I also got a warhammer RTS, so I'll try that as well. Now it's a matter of finding time for alp that gaming. Thanks for the insight :)

jayjay275
04-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Crysis 3.

pirate1802
04-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Awesome. That's a great collection to start with. I also got a warhammer RTS, so I'll try that as well. Now it's a matter of finding time for alp that gaming. Thanks for the insight :)

Oh yeah I got it as well. From the THQ humble bundle. Would start it soon :D

Rugterwyper32
04-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Also there are Knights of Honor and Hearts of Iron II. These are technically RTS games, but are so different than the others I've mentioned that they might not please everybody. They are more like grand games of chess taking place on the whole world map, but the game takes place realtime hence RTS.

Speaking of Grand RTS games, I've been playing Europa Universalis III and Victoria II lately. You should check those out if you like Hearts of Iron. Victoria II is a good deal more complex, though. Still pretty entertaining, it gives some entertaining results sometimes (Maybe not as insane as EU3, but still).

My RTS collection is based on those, AoE I and II, Starcraft, Civilization II, Empire Earth and Dungeon Keeper II (I think that counts?)

pirate1802
04-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Speaking of Grand RTS games, I've been playing Europa Universalis III and Victoria II lately. You should check those out if you like Hearts of Iron. Victoria II is a good deal more complex, though. Still pretty entertaining, it gives some entertaining results sometimes (Maybe not as insane as EU3, but still).

My RTS collection is based on those, AoE I and II, Starcraft, Civilization II, Empire Earth and Dungeon Keeper II (I think that counts?)

Love these grand RTS games, mostly because of their propensity to generate alternate histories. My favourite is the HoI2 gave where I took Persia/Iran and defeated The Allies, Axis and the Soviet Union. At the end of the game the world consisted of about 70% my territories, and the rest belonging to my puppet nations xD It was insane.

Rugterwyper32
04-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Love these grand RTS games, mostly because of their propensity to generate alternate histories. My favourite is the HoI2 gave where I took Persia/Iran and defeated The Allies, Axis and the Soviet Union. At the end of the game the world consisted of about 70% my territories, and the rest belonging to my puppet nations xD It was insane.

Those are some pretty great results. I'm currently playing Victoria as Peru, and I've taken all of Bolivia thus far, moving towards Chile right now and once I eventually make it into secondary power I'm gonna try colonizing a few isles in Micronesia. Results in this game can really be amusing.
And then you get stuff like this
http://24.media.tumblr.com/8a28d270c17d158d937740e0c144782b/tumblr_mhjec0Z2xJ1rdbszlo1_500.jpg

ProletariatPleb
04-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Dark Souls
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
and
http://puu.sh/2Eqso.jpg

ACfan443
04-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Chronicles of Rid****

Hahaha

Mr_Shade
04-21-2013, 06:55 PM
*cough*Candy Crash Saga*cough*... :nonchalance:
oh dear...

silvermercy
04-21-2013, 06:59 PM
oh dear...
Yer right! Farm Heroes Saga is da best!! :p

ProletariatPleb
04-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Hahaha
HUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ACfan443
04-21-2013, 07:18 PM
HUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:eek: bypassing the swear filter! Infraction

pirate1802
04-21-2013, 07:21 PM
:eek: bypassing the swear filter! Infraction

Its only the name of a game :|

ACfan443
04-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Its only the name of a game :|

I was joking... :p

TRUKITTN
04-21-2013, 07:40 PM
I fart around in GW2 from time to time.

Right now am in between SP games though. I tried The Last Remnant (360) but the loading screens, slowdowns and texture pop-ins paired with a typical annoying, hard-to-care-about JRPG protagonist just sealed it before I got very far. I dunno what to try next. I've beat Tomb Raider and loved it. I really want Bioshock Infinite but will have to wait it till we get some more game money saved up or it drops in price. Gonna be hard for any game to follow TR but, right now I have a lot of games shelved that kept getting put on the back burner. They are mostly PS3 exclusives that we've been picking up since getting the system last year. Maybe you guys can help me decide what I should play? Here's my choices:

[PS3]Tales of Graces F
[PS3]Heavy Rain
[PS3]Uncharted
[PS3]MGS 4
[360]Crackdown 2
[360]Resident Evil 5 (This was the last Capcom game I bought before the whole DmC bullshizzle made me swear off their games forever. Sorta makes it special!)
[PC]Bastion
[PC]Start another Skyrim Playthrough :P (600 hours and counting...)

Sad to say I'm actually leaning towards that very last option cause I'm kinda in the mood for RPG. I love every Tales game I've played but, I haven't heard very optimistic things about Graces.

Black_Widow9
04-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Fire Emblem Awakening
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

I love Skyrim and need to finish playing but I needed a break after 131 hrs...
I also need to finish Far Cry 3.

pacmanate
04-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Fire Emblem Awakening
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

I love Skyrim and need to finish playing but I needed a break after 131 hrs...
I also need to finish Far Cry 3.

and the "Give arun warnings :@" OJ :P (its okay, I understand :P)

All I see when I see Chronicles of Rid****, is ****. :|

xboxauditore
04-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Bioshock Infinite.
Mafia 2
Catherine

And soon, Dishonored.

Gi1t
04-21-2013, 09:49 PM
I fart around in GW2 from time to time.

Right now am in between SP games though. I tried The Last Remnant (360) but the loading screens, slowdowns and texture pop-ins paired with a typical annoying, hard-to-care-about JRPG protagonist just sealed it before I got very far. I dunno what to try next. I've beat Tomb Raider and loved it. I really want Bioshock Infinite but will have to wait it till we get some more game money saved up or it drops in price. Gonna be hard for any game to follow TR but, right now I have a lot of games shelved that kept getting put on the back burner. They are mostly PS3 exclusives that we've been picking up since getting the system last year. Maybe you guys can help me decide what I should play? Here's my choices:

[PS3]Tales of Graces F
[PS3]Heavy Rain
[PS3]Uncharted
[PS3]MGS 4
[360]Crackdown 2
[360]Resident Evil 5 (This was the last Capcom game I bought before the whole DmC bullshizzle made me swear off their games forever. Sorta makes it special!)
[PC]Bastion
[PC]Start another Skyrim Playthrough :P (600 hours and counting...)

Sad to say I'm actually leaning towards that very last option cause I'm kinda in the mood for RPG. I love every Tales game I've played but, I haven't heard very optimistic things about Graces.

Well, I'd take the bet that a Tales game will be great anyday, but if you're not sur eabout Graces, Tales fo Xillia is being localized: http://meteor-storm.deviantart.com/#/art/Tales-of-Xillia-NA-AND-EU-release-date-announced-363813691?_sid=e4ba345

Anyway, I recently got Bioshock Infinite, but somewhere in the second chapter, the game just stopped saving. I'd get checkpoints, I even completed a chapter, but when I quit and came back to it, the game stuck me back where I'd started. -__- It was stupid of them to ever abandon the manual saving system of the first two games. What IS the deal with these lame auto-save-only games taking over? I can't think of a sigle benefit to a game that only saves automatically.

Anyway, since there's no point in playing a game that can't save, I retunred it right away and got Darksiders 2 instead, which is just awesome. :D Very Skyrim feel to it, and more RPG-ish elements, though not a ton. It really does feel like a big step up from the first game, which was pretty good. The best part is that the environments are much nicer in this one, and the world is more open. :)

Kaschra
04-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Currently Final Fantasy 7. My team is Cloud-Tifa-Yuffie xD
And I just got the submarine.

projectpat06
04-22-2013, 12:11 AM
I've always been a fan of 3rd person games over 1st person but recently I've mostly played Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3. Both games are awesome imo. I'm also considering doing another play through on Dishonored which is again another game that changed up the first person genre to make things fun. Thinking about a new skyrim game which i play in 3rd person and another run through ac2 and 3. Also might get in Arkham city with the news of the new game coming out.

Besides ac4, Looking forward to the last of us, arkham origins, GTA 5, and watchdogs

Kaschra
04-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Ha, I'm not a big fan of 1st person games, but... but Bioshock Infinite... it looks so amazing. I dunno what to do. Maybe I could test the game somewhere...

Stardust235
04-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Ha, I'm not a big fan of 1st person games, but... but Bioshock Infinite... it looks so amazing. I dunno what to do. Maybe I could test the game somewhere...
Bioshock Infinite is the best game I've ever played -- go for it!
Also, OP if you like AC you should try Batman Arkham (Asylum and City), all GTA's from 3 and beyond, Sleeping Dogs, Mirror's Edge, Far Cry 3, Crysis 1 (if you play games on PC), Hitman series (First might be difficult if you're not an expert in games), La Noire, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Mass Effect 1-3, Saints Row 2, Fallout 3, and New Vegas.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
04-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Mirrors Edge~Love the soundtrack
The Last Remnant
XCOM:Enemy Unknown that game is so addicting!
An unfortunately Minecraft:nonchalance:

IWGCJoeCool
04-23-2013, 12:26 PM
4/23

todays the day and the beginning of the end. Chapter-3 of the TOKW is finally here. some of you/us will knock it out in a few days, others in hours. from here on it's peeps late to the ACIII party with fresh old questions or comments. i even know a guy who hasnt played the first two chapters, holding off to knock them out together without the wait. sure, i'll squeeze a replay in before ACIV.

almost 6 months to the day before ACIV-Black Flag, with i'm certain, a major gee whiz wow interlude at E3 in June.

a quick suggestion for anyone hating 1st person games...if you can, go into the settings and slow down the RS camera, so you can look around more slowly, it's helped me a little to not lose track of where i am.

all great titles have been mentioned, making we wish for unlimited time and money to play them all.

JC

CalledChip4200
04-23-2013, 03:06 PM
DISHONORED! I can't recommend it enough! Loved the steampunk and Victorian London medieval feel. It also has a subtle AC feel when it comes to the assassin!

Other than that: Red Dead Redemption and Fallout 3. Before that Dead Space 1 & 2, and Bioshock 1 & 2.

But seriously go get Dishonored...

Dishonored is great. But high chaos isn't fun

tattedassassin
06-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Not much of anything else lol. although i have had many other games suggested(alot named by other replies), i pretty much just stick to my love....Assassin's Creed. I love AC so much, i am afraid nothing will live up to it. I have completed AC1, AC2, ACB, ACR, and AC3 multiple times and AC4 is ofcourse reserved. I do play golf wih my husband, and i have also played Fable 3, Red dead redemption, L.A. noire, and heavy rain....but that's about it. i have only gotten into gaming for a couple years now, so am sure in time i will eventually try new gmes. but for now, its AC ALL DAY!!!

Aphex_Tim
06-04-2013, 09:44 PM
I just started playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Where has this game been all my life!?
It has everything I love about games! Open world(ish), an interesting story, nice RPG elements, upgrades that actually matter/make a difference, a great stealth system, a great atmosphere and soundtrack, one hell of an addicting hacking mini-game :p, need I go on?
What I love most is that the game doesn't ever hold your hand, so to speak. All you get is an objective marker and then it's entirely up to you how you approach the objective.

shobhit7777777
06-04-2013, 10:52 PM
It has everything I love about games! Open world(ish), an interesting story, nice RPG elements, upgrades that actually matter/make a difference, a great stealth system, a great atmosphere and soundtrack, one hell of an addicting hacking mini-game :p, need I go on?
What I love most is that the game doesn't ever hold your hand, so to speak. All you get is an objective marker and then it's entirely up to you how you approach the objective.

Buy all the stealth hacking upgrades.....the amount of XP you'll earn is not even funny

Also, regarding objectives...EXPLORE! SOOO MANY WAYS!

If you like stealth and stealth action then I suggest the following augmentations:

1. Icarus landing system
2. Upgrades that give you a massive jump height boost
3. Reflex booster for those multiple takedowns
4. max out battery recharge
5. max out cloaking
6. silent running augs
7. Smart vision
8. Hacking - Stealth and upgrade to level 5 AND ability to hack Bots AND turrets

The radar and stealth tracking are cool too

During my second playthrough..I had enough Praxis to unlock all the above midway AND then augment the strength and inventory augs

My Jensen was a Ninja who could Tank it with the best of them....good times...gonna play the DLC now :D

Bastiaen
06-04-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm playing Remember Me right now. It's got a really strong narrative.

ArabianFrost
06-04-2013, 11:54 PM
I got the Humble Bundle a few days ago. Thomas was Alone is unbelievably captivating. The game had more realistic, appreciable characters than AC3 imo. Would recommend getting the game and the rest of the games in the bundle. Certainly my money best spent.

Soulid_Snake
06-05-2013, 12:57 AM

It is a freaking amazing game! No matter how many times you play the game, you always discover new or different ways to approach missions. The possibilities are endless.

A possible sequel reveal might be coming later on today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vv3_ndmz8U

ProletariatPleb
06-05-2013, 01:20 AM
Where have YOU been all the time:p
And believe me when I tell you the first Deus Ex game still had more options.

pacmanate
06-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Killzone 3! Them setpieces :o!

Legendz54
06-05-2013, 10:48 AM
http://youtu.be/GsGHKyRNv8M

Jack-Reacher
06-05-2013, 11:17 AM
I rented Deus Ex a few times... yeah its pretty legit, I reackon its stealth is way better than MGS now tbh... the immersive story experience in MGS tops everything imo but I still think Deus Ex does a better job of gameplay.

And I base this on absolutely nothing.

Locopells
06-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Just got into the Batman games and L.A. Noire - yeah, yeah, I know I'm late to the party, but still...

roostersrule2
06-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Just got into the Batman games and L.A. Noire - yeah, yeah, I know I'm late to the party, but still...I'm yet to play Arkham City but I did love Asylum and LA Noire is easily the most underrated game, it's amazing.

Locopells
06-05-2013, 02:08 PM
If ya like BM:AA you'll LOVE Arkham City.

Would anyone recommend Sleeping Dogs?

roostersrule2
06-05-2013, 02:12 PM

Would anyone recommend Sleeping Dogs?I'll be sure to check it out, I still have to finish a couple games first haha and I would it's more of a filler game. It's a lesser GTA but it's still decent, good combat and a surprisingly good story just a but unpolished and lacks that thing GTA has, I'm not sure how to describe it haha.

Aphex_Tim
06-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Only thing I don't like about Deus Ex is the boss battles. They go completely against my playing style which is non-lethal and as stealthy as possible.
Hell, the only weapon I'm carrying with my is a tranquilizer rifle; how the hell am I supposed to beat a boss with that? I defeated the first boss through pure luck but now I'm stuck at the second.

ProletariatPleb
06-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Only thing I don't like about Deus Ex is the boss battles. They go completely against my playing style which is non-lethal and as stealthy as possible.
Hell, the only weapon I'm carrying with my is a tranquilizer rifle; how the hell am I supposed to beat a boss with that? I defeated the first boss through pure luck but now I'm stuck at the second.
Yeah Human Rev guys outsourced the boss fights and this is what happened, lol.

My advice, have a shotgun spare for the boss fights. Full blast at their face=dead. Each bossfight can be finished is about 30 seconds or less.

dxsxhxcx
06-05-2013, 05:15 PM
GTA 4

Would anyone recommend Sleeping Dogs?

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs, their hand to hand combat is something I expect to see (in a similar way) in an AC game set in Japan or China, it was pretty cool, the story was nice as well..

Megas_Doux
06-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Uncharted 3 desert levels never, NEVER cease to amaze me!

freddie_1897
06-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Civilisation V. Awaiting Brave New World eagerly, as well as The Last of Us.

pacmanate
06-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Civilisation V. Awaiting Brave New World eagerly, as well as The Last of Us.

FREEDIE IS BACK WOWOAOAOWOW!ooooo!

Aphex_Tim
06-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Uncharted 3 desert levels never, NEVER cease to amaze me!

I know right! Especially considering you're doing nothing but walking.
That part was very well done!

Yeah Human Rev guys outsourced the boss fights and this is what happened, lol.

My advice, have a shotgun spare for the boss fights. Full blast at their face=dead. Each bossfight can be finished is about 30 seconds or less.

I'll keep that in mind for the next boss.
I just defeated the second boss by repeatedly firing a stun gun at her. Works wonders! :p