PDA

View Full Version : AC needs to adopt more open ended story telling (spoilers)

Pipboy3060
01-23-2013, 08:22 PM
I really liked AC3. However, what really bugged me about the main story and Connor is the complete absence of choices in the story. I know there's the whole animus side of things where history is already written and whatnot. But this is a pathetic excuse. Imagine how much more immersive AC3's story would be if Ubisoft added in dynamic storylines akin to Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim.

One example would be Connor killing his best friend. Wouldn't it have been so much better if you could choose whether or not to fight him? If you choose the latter, it will engage a chase sequence where you would need to escape Kanen'tó:kon and a few tribal warriors in the frontier. There could be a small cutscene afterwards where, if you return to the village, you see Kanen'tó:kon greet and apologise to connor.

Another example is the relationship between Haytham and connor. In certain parts of the game, Haytham unnecessarily kills many characters while connor stands back, occasionally complaining like a little brat. Why not add a choice sequence in here? Say, just as Haytham is about to kill, you can choose whether or not to stop the killing. Each choice would engage a small cutscene showing Haythams response to your actions.

I also think ubisoft should add a kill/not kill choice in certain assassinations. As we all know when you gravely wound a character, that character will say his final words; most of the time explaining why they did what they did. I propose that after they have said their last words, you can make a decision to either deal the finishing blow or spare them. Say in one characters last words he sincerely wished for peace, this could affect the player, making them not want to kill the said character. This would add more weight and impact to "last word" segments. I could see players debating in the forums wether certain characters deserved to die and why they chose their choice.

Although I think there should NOT be multiple endings, I do believe the way endings happen should be changed based of choices made in the main story. For instance, lets just say there's a choice to spare haytham during his boss fight. When you reach Charles lee at the bar, Haytham could be waiting there ready to kill connor - triggering a harder boss fight (a price to pay for not killing him beforehand)

So, what do you guys think? Dynamic storyline (even a minor one) for AC4???

Assassin_M
01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
No..

Not ALL games have to be like mass effect and Skyrim...

Choices don't make a good story

AC is already diluted as it is

Snakbarr
01-23-2013, 08:34 PM
The Animus isn't a time machine.

Pipboy3060
01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
No..

In the case of AC, even a minor dynamic storyline would make the story much better.

Sushiglutton
01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
There is nothing wrong with a branching story and choices ofc. Personally I have zero interest in it though. I hope AC focus on the moment to moment gameplay rather than adopting a more complex structure for the story. Overall I wish Ubi stay true to the action/adventure genre and avoid adding RPG-elements as much as they can. This is just my opinion ofc and I respect others may feel differently.

Pipboy3060
01-23-2013, 08:41 PM
The Animus isn't a time machine.

I'd like to think of it more as a "you make your own history". That is, every choice you make was already part of history. You're not really changing anything. Keep in mind I'm pushing choices in a minor way. I'm not asking for multiple endings or major plot choices...

Snakbarr
01-23-2013, 08:48 PM
It goes against the concept of the game. You can't reshape history. Desmond ancestors did what they did and you/Desmond have to re-live the events to gain information to help with saving the Earth. That said, you can have decisions in the present day part of the game because you are making history. Although if the decisions were big game changers it would kill the series.

Pipboy3060
01-23-2013, 08:54 PM
It goes against the concept of the game. You can't reshape history. Desmond ancestors did what they did and you/Desmond have to re-live the events to gain information to help with saving the Earth. That said, you can have decisions in the present day part of the game because you are making history. Although if the decisions were big game changers it would kill the series.

Technically the gameplay of AC goes against the concept of the game. What I am proposing is that you are still re-living the events, but you get to choose how certain events happen similar to how you choose how to travel in the game, how to fight, what weapons to use, ect ect.

YuurHeen
01-23-2013, 08:59 PM
while the fallout franchise is in my opinion the best ever and mass effect maybe 4th or 5th I really do not want this for ac.
It just doesn't fit. The story is different in these games. where in mass effect and tes you can go your own path it is in ac so that you follow a path. you can go off the path and do many things but you will always end up back on it.

Snakbarr
01-23-2013, 09:06 PM
But how you travel and how you kill don't create paradoxes within the story..

ACfan443
01-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Sorry, but I hate this idea. AC's storytelling structure is fine the way it is. Each game has to follow the 'laws' of its universe, in this case is the animus and history (which I don't find a "pathetic excuse"). As it's been said, not every game has to be choice based.

EDIT: with regards to choosing how certain events happen, that's justified by sync levels. Small things like taking a different route are majorly different to choosing whether you let an important figure live or die. Say if you chose to let his friend live, you'd be going completely off the sync bar - historical events won't be conserved, you'd just be making it up.

itsamea-mario
01-23-2013, 09:12 PM
oMg yeh. der culd be liek an opshon wer conor and heyfam go bak 2 england nd liv a hapy lyf
den anufer wer d werld nds n alians atak. dt wuld b sik!!!!!1!!1

Assassin_M
01-23-2013, 09:45 PM
In the case of AC, even a minor dynamic storyline would make the story much better.

No it wont...

Choices cannot be made, because it`s history. Choices in fights, weaponry and how you complete a mission are different, but what you propose goes against the concept of reliving memories...

lothario-da-be
01-23-2013, 09:48 PM
The whole point of ac is reliving your ancestors memories.And your idea is making your ancestors life.

SixKeys
01-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I only have one question: if the AC games are supposed to be living the ancestor's memories exactly as they happened and there shouldn't be any open-ended choices, why in AC3 do you have liberation missions where you can choose to either bribe an extortionist or knock his lights out? Shouldn't we only be able to do what Connor did? This was also an option in ACR during the mission where you had to get Sofia's painting back from the merchant, but there at least the full sync required you to steal the painting.

nitres15
01-23-2013, 10:12 PM
the only way for this to make sense is if it affects the modern world, which would be kinda cool

Dosenwabe
01-23-2013, 10:12 PM
As a history lover I will just say NO to this.

Soulid_Snake
01-24-2013, 01:34 AM
No..

AC is already diluted as it is

I agree with the OP to the point where a game can have moral choices, but it doesn't necessarily have to affect the story. For instance, in Deus Ex: HR, if you save Malik, she will come and help you out, later in the game. Whatever her outcome is does not change the story, but makes for better gameplay.

Assassin_M
01-24-2013, 02:46 AM
I agree with the OP to the point where a game can have moral choices, but it doesn't necessarily have to affect the story. For instance, in Deus Ex: HR, if you save Malik, she will come and help you out, later in the game. Whatever her outcome is does not change the story, but makes for better gameplay.

Recruits have that concept.

Whatever choices there may be. they should remain away from the story..

rileypoole1234
01-24-2013, 05:15 AM
oMg yeh. der culd be liek an opshon wer conor and heyfam go bak 2 england nd liv a hapy lyfden anufer wer d werld nds n alians atak. dt wuld b sik!!!!!1!!1 This mostly. And some of that as well.

Assassin_M
01-24-2013, 05:18 AM
This mostly. And some of that as well.
Silly Brits.....gimme some tea