PDA

View Full Version : Is Kenway his last name? [spoilers I guess...]

BATISTABUS
01-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Before AC3 was even released, pamphlets were listing our protagonist as Connor Kenway, despite the devs only referring to him as Connor. I believe there was a comment about his last name being a spoiler by Hutchinson or something like that, but I don't have a source and it could've been someone else. In the game, he is never referred to as Connor Kenway, and never presents himself as such. I don't believe Connor would wish to take the last name of his father, and Achilles almost certainly never would've assigned that to him. The AC wiki states "Several news media and publishers, even Ubisoft's own media, have dubbed Ratonhnhaké:ton as Connor Kenway. This is an error, as Ratonhnhaké:ton never took on his father's surname." I agree with this statement, but since the AC wiki isn't an official source, I'm just double-checking. Is there anything about that in the AC3 book? Maybe there's something in the in-game database?

The only reason I bring this up is because I see Ratonhnhake:ton being referred to as Connor Kenway all around the Internet. Perhaps it is because of the initial leak or because it's easier to search, but I'd just like to set the record straight.

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Nothing in the book nor Database...

But, I have to disagree with this point

I don't believe Connor would wish to take the last name of his father

He would. The Book sheds great light on this and it`s not just Connor`s final Soliloquy

BATISTABUS
01-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Nothing in the book nor Database...

But, I have to disagree with this point
[/COLOR]

He would. The Book sheds great light on this and it`s not just Connor`s final Soliloquy
I honestly don't think Connor cared as much for his father as many people seem to believe (or want to believe). All I know from the book is the soliloquy, but even there he mostly talks about the useless conflict between Templars and Assassins, and that they could accomplish so much more together (which we already knew from the game). Connor can only care so much for a man who never did anything for him, especially since he would've had father figures in his village (and of course in Achilles). Connor resents the man because of his actions as a Templar and towards his mother, but I don't think he has a significant emotional attachment to him. In other words...he doesn't have daddy issues, and he isn't proud to be that man's son.

If there's something else in the book that would suggest otherwise, I'd love to know. Even so, I have to prioritize the content of the game over the content of the book, unless we get more about it in AC 3.5.

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
I honestly don't think Connor cared as much for his father as many people seem to believe (or want to believe). All I know from the book is the soliloquy, but even there he mostly talks about the useless conflict between Templars and Assassins, and that they could accomplish so much more together (which we already knew from the game). Connor can only care so much for a man who never did anything for him, especially since he would've had father figures in his village (and of course in Achilles). Connor resents the man because of his actions as a Templar and towards his mother, but I don't think he has a significant emotional attachment to him. In other words...he doesn't have daddy issues, and he isn't proud to be that man's son.

If there's something else in the book that would suggest otherwise, I'd love to know. Even so, I have to prioritize the content of the game over the content of the book, unless we get more about it in AC 3.5.
We Probably will...The Devs have said it, if the Novel does not go against something in the game, It`s Canon. The Book is a Journal written by Haytham and [Highlight to see spoilers] This Journal shows how Haytham resented growing up as a Templar, how his life and Ideologies were riddled with lies and treachery. In the end, Haytham says that the only person who never lied to him was his father and with this Journal, he preserves this Custom and hopes that one day Connor will understand more from reading the Journal and it seemed to have worked. Connor greatly regretted killing his father as evident by the epilogue and wished he could`v had a chance to understand him and say sorry.

Another thing is the Native sentence written beside Haytham`s portrait after his death. It was "I lost my way" or "I regret this" something like that....

BATISTABUS
01-20-2013, 08:32 AM
I guess I'll have to read the novel then. From what you're saying, it seems that Connor cares for Haytham more than I seemed to interpret, but I still don't think it was enough to take on his last name. He may have had regrets about what could've been, but they really left out a lot in the game if I'm supposed to believe he actually admired him. Even so, I think that would conflict with Connor's "compromise".

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 08:39 AM
I guess I'll have to read the novel then. From what you're saying, it seems that Connor cares for Haytham more than I seemed to interpret, but I still don't think it was enough to take on his last name. He may have had regrets about what could've been, but they really left out a lot in the game if I'm supposed to believe he actually admired him. Even so, I think that would conflict with Connor's "compromise".
He didn't exactly admire him, but he cared for him and he finally understood him. Remember that scene where Haytham Says "He`s my son" to the Guard ? Connor was surprised. I`m sure that`s how Connor views Haytham now. He knows his father was wrong, but he nonetheless cares enough for him that he may wield his family name proudly..

And yes, definitely get the book

BATISTABUS
01-20-2013, 08:43 AM
He didn't exactly admire him, but he cared for him and he finally understood him. Remember that scene where Haytham Says "He`s my son" to the Guard ? Connor was surprised. I`m sure that`s how Connor views Haytham now. He knows his father was wrong, but he nonetheless cares enough for him that he may wield his family name proudly..

And yes, definitely get the book
I'm pretty sure he said that to make bringing him in less conspicuous.

Yes, I will read the book.

Although, if anything, I'd expect Connor to start going with Ratonhnhake:ton again.

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm pretty sure he said that to make bringing him in less conspicuous.
When You read the book, you`ll see that he meant it;)

A lot of interesting details and Revelations there

ProGamerX56
01-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Probably cos when Haythem helped Conner's [deceased] mother, they fell in love, married and then had Conner as there only [?] son. BUT when Conner's mother found out Haytham was [SPOILERS] a Templar, they broke up. Still don't get why the village elder said "find the one that helped your mother once" when she could have just said "your dad". :confused:

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Probably cos when Haythem helped Conner's [deceased] mother, they fell in love, married and then had Conner as there only [?] son. BUT when Conner's mother found out Haytham was [SPOILERS] a Templar, they broke up. Still don't get why the village elder said "find the one that helped your mother once" when she could have just said "your dad". :confused:
Haytham and Ziio were never married and Yes Connor is their only Son.

Because the clan mother was not referring to Haytham, but Achilles

MT4K
01-20-2013, 10:40 AM
The way i see it....

He doesn't have a surname.

His name isn't even Connor. His name is Ratohnhaké:ton.

Connor is just a nickname.

If you really was going to give him a surname then it would likely be Kenway because that's his biological Father.

But overall i don't consider him to have a surname at all. Pretty sure Native Americans (At least back then) Didn't have surnames. If i'm wrong though then whatever :p.

Chariflame
01-20-2013, 06:32 PM
I think Kenway was just used in promotional material and such because plain old "Connor" without a surname sounds a bit flat in comparison to the more flamboyant names of assassins previous... It was never mentioned in the game because there was never a situation where Connor would need a surname. It also defines the relationship between him and Haytham in the first few minutes of the game.

I feel like Connor wouldn't really wish to choose a surname as it's not part of the naming traditions he's used to, and he doesn't particularly have use for one. He might resonate more with the Davenport name, but I think it's pretty plausible that he might take on the name Kenway in memory of his father after reading his journal in Forsaken and having those regrets.

BATISTABUS
01-22-2013, 11:58 PM
I was looking through multiplayer customization options, and the description for the Huntsman's "Ratonhnhake:ton Costume" says it resembles the outfit of the Assassin Connor Kenway. Still, I think most of this is for user understanding rather than an in-universe label.

Toa TAK
01-23-2013, 02:18 AM
I don't consider him to have that last name because Connor himself never really took it up.

guardian_titan
01-23-2013, 05:25 PM
There is one reference to Connor Kenway at the end of the book. Specifically states on the epilogue page that the follow pages are an "Except from the Journal of Connor Kenway". There's no other mention of it in either the book or the game.

On a semi-related note, Haytham's under the impression Ziio named their son Connor in the book. He never corrects that statement. Not sure if Haytham ever knew Connor's birth name. Ziio's name appears in full once in the book but Connor's never does. If I recall, it's never stated in the game when Haytham's about, either.

We have no idea what Connor did after AC3 ended. After reading his father's journal, it's possible he could've taken on the Kenway name as a way of forgiving him. It's also possible Connor used it as a way to get things. Everyone views him as a half breed or native which, if you know anything of the time frame, wasn't a good thing. Using the Kenway name would've made people view him at least a little more positively. Using Davenport wouldn't be much better since Africans weren't viewed much better than Native Americans. If anything, Africans were viewed even lower than Native Americans.

The only thing we know for certain about Connor after AC3 is that he had a child that eventually led to William and Desmond. Who Connor had a child with is unknown as of this time. The same could be said of Altair and Ezio. No one knew who they had a family with in their first game. Both of their relationships became evident later on. Maybe Connor took the Kenway name because he married a woman and her father didn't much appreciate a man with no family. Women married up back then (or tried to). Marrying a man with no family would've been seen as marrying down and would've been frowned upon. Thus, Connor could've taken on the Kenway name which ties him to a family and a powerful and rich one at that.

Seems people think Connor could've gone after his people after AC3 ended, but the last line of the book suggests that he goes to find more Assassins instead. That leads me to believe me has (at least temporarily) stepped away from his native people to expand the Brotherhood. Thus, it's not likely Connor goes back to his birth name. Norris tells Connor at one point his name was really Maurice but everyone knew him better as Norris so he stuck with it. The same can be said for Connor. And for Connor to go back to his birth name would be like kicking Achilles in his grave. Connor admired Achilles despite their fights so wouldn't likely go back to his birth name without feeling like he was disrespecting Achilles' memory. Taking on the name Connor Kenway would not only continue to honor Achilles but also honor (and forgive) Haytham. As for his mother, Connor has her necklace to remember her by which is something physical from her. He really has nothing physical to carry on him from Achilles or Haytham. The assassin robes from Achilles maybe, but there would come a time where Connor would no longer wear them.

There's many ways to look at the name Connor Kenway, but unless Ubisoft says something, all we have are theories. If Connor follows Ezio, we should see 1-2 more games for him before AC4 hits so more questions should be answered such as whether or not he does take the Kenway name.

BATISTABUS
01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Those are some great points I hadn't considered. I'd be satisfied if he took on Kenway for the sake of marraige.

I have a hard time thinking Connor would completely put his people aside, but I think it's a given that he'll take on greater Brotherhood responsibilities. In addition to that Norris comment, there was a comment by a character in a liberation mission. I forget the details, but he asks Connor what his name is. The man then asks for his real name, and tells him he should be proud of his heritage (and not ashamed, as Achilles felt he had to be).

FirestarLuva
01-23-2013, 10:12 PM
There is one reference to Connor Kenway at the end of the book. Specifically states on the epilogue page that the follow pages are an "Except from the Journal of Connor Kenway". There's no other mention of it in either the book or the game.

On a semi-related note, Haytham's under the impression Ziio named their son Connor in the book. He never corrects that statement. Not sure if Haytham ever knew Connor's birth name. Ziio's name appears in full once in the book but Connor's never does. If I recall, it's never stated in the game when Haytham's about, either.

We have no idea what Connor did after AC3 ended. After reading his father's journal, it's possible he could've taken on the Kenway name as a way of forgiving him. It's also possible Connor used it as a way to get things. Everyone views him as a half breed or native which, if you know anything of the time frame, wasn't a good thing. Using the Kenway name would've made people view him at least a little more positively. Using Davenport wouldn't be much better since Africans weren't viewed much better than Native Americans. If anything, Africans were viewed even lower than Native Americans.

The only thing we know for certain about Connor after AC3 is that he had a child that eventually led to William and Desmond. Who Connor had a child with is unknown as of this time. The same could be said of Altair and Ezio. No one knew who they had a family with in their first game. Both of their relationships became evident later on. Maybe Connor took the Kenway name because he married a woman and her father didn't much appreciate a man with no family. Women married up back then (or tried to). Marrying a man with no family would've been seen as marrying down and would've been frowned upon. Thus, Connor could've taken on the Kenway name which ties him to a family and a powerful and rich one at that.

Seems people think Connor could've gone after his people after AC3 ended, but the last line of the book suggests that he goes to find more Assassins instead. That leads me to believe me has (at least temporarily) stepped away from his native people to expand the Brotherhood. Thus, it's not likely Connor goes back to his birth name. Norris tells Connor at one point his name was really Maurice but everyone knew him better as Norris so he stuck with it. The same can be said for Connor. And for Connor to go back to his birth name would be like kicking Achilles in his grave. Connor admired Achilles despite their fights so wouldn't likely go back to his birth name without feeling like he was disrespecting Achilles' memory. Taking on the name Connor Kenway would not only continue to honor Achilles but also honor (and forgive) Haytham. As for his mother, Connor has her necklace to remember her by which is something physical from her. He really has nothing physical to carry on him from Achilles or Haytham. The assassin robes from Achilles maybe, but there would come a time where Connor would no longer wear them.

There's many ways to look at the name Connor Kenway, but unless Ubisoft says something, all we have are theories. If Connor follows Ezio, we should see 1-2 more games for him before AC4 hits so more questions should be answered such as whether or not he does take the Kenway name.

Really interesting points. Maybe he might consider taking both Achilles' and Haytham's last names, maybe to honour both of them. Connor Davenport Kenway, maybe?
Haven't read Forsaken yet, probably will, but I hope there's a book about AC3 from Connor's POV, since in the epilogue it says 'except from the journal of Connor Kenway.'

Felix-Vivo
01-24-2013, 01:26 AM
I always liked to think that he took on the name 'Kenway' later in life. A lot of the reasons have already been discussed, but yes... I think perhaps as a tribute of some kind towards the father he later regrets not knowing better. Plus, to move with greater ease around the people who might judge him. The marriage point was good too, I hadn't thought of that. I would love it if AC ever went to London and featured Connor meeting other Kenways. If there are any... I need to re-read Forsaken, methinks.

pacmanate
01-24-2013, 08:02 PM
I always liked to think that he took on the name 'Kenway' later in life. A lot of the reasons have already been discussed, but yes... I think perhaps as a tribute of some kind towards the father he later regrets not knowing better. Plus, to move with greater ease around the people who might judge him. The marriage point was good too, I hadn't thought of that. I would love it if AC ever went to London and featured Connor meeting other Kenways. If there are any... I need to re-read Forsaken, methinks.

You need to learn how to read first.

Serrachio
01-24-2013, 08:26 PM
One thing that you have to remember though is that the novels are written by Oliver Bowden. While he may be Ubisoft endorsed, him putting "Connor Kenway" could just be part of his own creative interpretation, and might not match that of the developers in Ubi Montreal.

Confirmation of the surname "Kenway" would need to come from Corey May or someone on that level, considering he was the Lead Writer for Assassin's Creed III.

PaypayTR
01-24-2013, 08:31 PM
at the end when we see him tomb that was like connor humbington

MasterSimaYi
01-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Alex Hutchinson and Corey May indeed pushed the point that Connor did not use the surname Kenway. And it was brought forward to us at the ACWiki too that his surname was not Kenway, the same with the initial erroneous spelling "Ratohnhaké:ton". It did all start with GameInformer putting the name Connor Kenway on some promotional material, and then it was all over the internet.

Though the other Ubisoft employees seem to not really take that in high regard, like the mention of Connor Kenway in the Forsaken novel, and Connor Kenway being used on the Assassin's Creed Limited Edition Timeline (http://store.ubiworkshop.com/assassins-creed-Timeline-2013/) as well. It's very counter-productive. They are effectively turning Connor Kenway into his canon name like this.

The Devs have said it, if the Novel does not go against something in the game, It`s Canon.

They did not say this. I believe it was Alex Amancio who addressed this, at the PAX Panel if I recall correctly, and he only said that "books are canon". The canon for AC, and a lot of other franchises like Star Wars too, are a little more complicated than "games are canon and so is everything else except it contradicts the games". The (first) Encyclopedia for example, while it had many obvious errors, took the canon from different media. The Encyclopedia handled Claudia Auditore stepping down as Madam of the Rosa in Fiore in 1504 as canon, instead of her still being around in 1506 in the Da Vinci Disappearance. The same is done for Swami going berserk and stabbing himself to death in The Secret Crusade, though it also says that Altaďr was the one to guide Niccolň and Marco Polo to the gates of Masyaf per the Revelations game and novel, instead of Darim as The Secret Crusade says.

No 'canon tiers' have been spoken of, and while the first Encyclopedia had a lot of errors, its purpose was to collect all canon information.

The only thing we know for certain about Connor after AC3 is that he had a child that eventually led to William and Desmond.

While I doubt the writers would not have put that line in for no reason, we cannot say for certain that this is fact. After all, how could Desmond have known this? There was no indication that he had known about Haytham or Connor prior to the game, or that in between ACR and AC3 he had taken a look at and memorized his family tree. Haytham and Connor may just as well have been related to Desmond through his mother's bloodlines (or perhaps even through both his father's and mother's, but that is beside the point). If Desmond does indeed know, then that leaves an unresolved plothole. But with the information that we are given, we cannot say for certainty that Desmond's statement was factual.

ProGamerX56
02-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Haytham and Ziio were never married and Yes Connor is their only Son.

Because the clan mother was not referring to Haytham, but Achilles

Aah, got a bit confused at first. But still Conner is son to Haytham. Something even more confusing that Haytham would attack his own son :confused:, Haytham's cool, but mad (Haytham would probably go nuts if he found out he killed Ziio during the fire).

Assassin_M
02-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Aah, got a bit confused at first. But still Conner is son to Haytham. Something even more confusing that Haytham would attack his own son :confused:, Haytham's cool, but mad (Haytham would probably go nuts if he found out he killed Ziio during the fire).
But.....he did not kill Ziio

Kosappi
02-03-2013, 08:49 PM

Wot? NO. Haytham did not burned the village. Sequence 11 reveals that.
And IMO, he even has no intention to kill his own son at the very end. That’s why Haytham leave he’s Amulet in the hands of Charles- he knew he’s gonna die.

ProGamerX56
02-04-2013, 05:30 PM
But.....he did not kill Ziio

I mean the templars, they set fire to the village, and then Ziio died, didn't she?

ProGamerX56
02-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Wot? NO. Haytham did not burned the village. Sequence 11 reveals that.
And IMO, he even has no intention to kill his own son at the very end. That’s why Haytham leave he’s Amulet in the hands of Charles- he knew he’s gonna die.

I've only played to Sequence 10...

straty88
02-04-2013, 06:37 PM
I've only played to Sequence 10...

Yeah best idea is to stay away from the forums until you've finished the game. :)

ProGamerX56
02-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Yeah best idea is to stay away from the forums until you've finished the game. :)

Nah...I already know the ending and I'm planning to finish it soon...