PDA

View Full Version : Waypoints not the solve-all

Sturnz0r
01-19-2013, 06:14 PM
i enjoyed how there were places which we had to explore so that it could be visible on the map.. without the help of waypointsit plalyed a big part in fort discoveries as well as missing liberation missions in a couple districts. it would be a bit more dull in frontier explorations if i already knew an upcoming lake was too large to cross, per se

UrDeviant1
01-19-2013, 07:19 PM
I liked this too. And when It came to the Frontiersman challenge to explore all of the Frontier, Boston, and New York, i found that I had already completed prior! I'v covered a LOT of distance.

Sushiglutton
01-19-2013, 10:02 PM
It was too tedious to run around like a human lawn mower just to uncover the map. Felt real silly too. I think a better option to encourage exploration would be to have hidden treasures/tombs you can only find through exploration. Also they don't have to show the eagle point on the map. That way you could scout around a bit looking for a high point. But running back and forth to "paint the map" is something I hope I will never have to do again.

BaronVonES
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
What made the process so tedious was that synchronizing the viewpoints didn't really do much at all by way of revealing the map. Hitting all of the ones on the Frontier for example still left huge amounts of the map foggy. Plus, as Sushiglutton said, there is little to no incentive to run around doing so besides seeing the scenery and being OCD about having the map clear.

Generally, the way to fix this problem would have been to:

Spread out the viewpoints more sensibly and strategically (i.e. don't have two viewpoints within 100m of each other and don't forget to actually place viewpoints in barren areas)
Allow the climbing of higher buildings to essentially act as pseudo-viewpoints (for example, climbing to the top of the tallest mast of a ship should reveal the equivalent of synchronizing from that point - these areas needn't be added to the map's legend, of course)
Put some collectibles/treasures in more areas, and particularly the dead-ends of the underground tunnels.

UrDeviant1
01-19-2013, 11:36 PM
What made the process so tedious was that synchronizing the viewpoints didn't really do much at all by way of revealing the map. Hitting all of the ones on the Frontier for example still left huge amounts of the map foggy. Plus, as Sushiglutton said, there is little to no incentive to run around doing so besides seeing the scenery and being OCD about having the map clear.

Generally, the way to fix this problem would have been to:

Spread out the viewpoints more sensibly and strategically (i.e. don't have two viewpoints within 100m of each other and don't forget to actually place viewpoints in barren areas)
Allow the climbing of higher buildings to essentially act as pseudo-viewpoints (for example, climbing to the top of the tallest mast of a ship should reveal the equivalent of synchronizing from that point - these areas needn't be added to the map's legend, of course)
Put some collectibles/treasures in more areas, and particularly the dead-ends of the underground tunnels.

2. Navigating higher obstacles actually does reveal the map quicker. Just sayin.

Sturnz0r
01-20-2013, 01:47 AM
yea, even horseback and the trees revea more than on foot

SixKeys
01-20-2013, 06:35 AM
The amount of the map you revealed by ANY means in this game was way too small. It was really annoying to have to run around the edges of each lake just to reveal the outlines. Since there were far fewer viewpoints than in previous games, they should have been much more beneficial. I.e. revealing the map on foot would only reveal a tiny portion but syncing a viewpoint would reveal a much larger area.

BaronVonES
01-20-2013, 09:49 AM
2. Navigating higher obstacles actually does reveal the map quicker. Just sayin.
Oh I know that it does. In fact, I did this wherever possible. But as SixKeys said, the amount revealed isn't nearly enough - you still have to do so much busywork running around (or galloping) to reveal all of the map. Yet in the end, there isn't really much to discover after a while - there aren't many hidden items that are worth the trek.