PDA

View Full Version : Some little findings/speculation about Connor's mother...

twangling
01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
It might be trivial, but I've been wondering it for some time and haven't seen anybody bring it up, so...

Her name. It's written everywhere as Kaniehtí:io. According to the Mohawk pronunciation --sure I know next to nothing about this language, just judging from words like "Kanien'keha" --shouldn't it sound like "gaa-nje-'zee-oh" or something? But the actress who pronounced it in the cutscenes said "gaa-zee-'zee-jo". What doesn't help is that on Wiki, they give two contradictory pronunciations under her name, right next to each other: /ɡćˈziːˈziːɵ/ and "Gah-yet-zee-oh". This is really bewildering.

Then I came across this website (http://www.firstvoices.com/en/Kanienkeha-Mohawk-EN/words). And there you go. Halfway down you see a "katsi'tsí:io", pronounced just as it's pronounced in the game, meaning "nice flower".

So this leads to another question: If there is a separate word that reads gaa-zee-'zee-jo, then why the current spelling? Could it be that she was originally named Katsi'tsí:io, but was changed into Kaniehtí:io to match with the voice actress Kaniehtiio Horn? But for some reason, the lines didn't get re-recorded and remain what we hear?

Do you guys have any thoughts?

pacmanate
01-14-2013, 10:59 AM
I have no idea.. Ubisoft can make mistakes though! I even thought during the game that their are so many pronunciations for Ratonhnke:ton. Even Connor pronounces his name different at least 3 times MINIMUM.

roostersrule2
01-14-2013, 11:15 AM
I have no idea.. Ubisoft can make mistakes though! I even thought during the game that their are so many pronunciations for Ratonhnke:ton. Even Connor pronounces his name different at least 3 times MINIMUM.The way he said it to Achilles was weird.

Aphex_Tim
01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Her voice actress is actually named Kaniehtí:io so i'm sure she'd know how to pronounce her own name.
But yes, i find it weird as well.

Death_Angel733
01-14-2013, 11:53 AM
I was wondering if you Ubisoft actually cared about these translations. They're probably thinking that no one will bother to verify the dialogues. Sure, some Italians found out that some words/phrases didn't have a proper translation. It's not like there's someone in this forum that can actually speak Mohawk, right?

twangling
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Her voice actress is actually named Kaniehtí:io so i'm sure she'd know how to pronounce her own name.
But yes, i find it weird as well.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. The actress sharing the same name and her being half-Mohawk and stuff, you'd expect she knows how to pronounce it. So I just boldly assume Connor's mother was intended to be "Katsi'tsí:io", and it might be what it was on the scripts. But then Ubi changed her name, yet left the voice recordings unaltered. After all it's only one line[sarcasm mode]. A big fat assumption though lol.

Truth be told, I personally quite like the "nice flower" thing. It kind of forebodes her life, transient and withering young. But I don't know, Ubi got to have their reason.

I have no idea.. Ubisoft can make mistakes though! I even thought during the game that their are so many pronunciations for Ratonhnke:ton. Even Connor pronounces his name different at least 3 times MINIMUM.

As for Connor saying his name differently, I listened to this funny episode of the "Assassin's Den" podcast featuring Noah Watts. Noah says his own Crow language is quite different from Mohawk, and he had little knowledge of Mohawk upong taking the role. He also admits it's quite hard to learn, and within such a short amount of time, one can't truly sound like "you've been speaking it for twenty years". Therefore I give him the pass on this one.