PDA

View Full Version : Assassinís Creed 4: 7 Things Ubisoft Needs To Improve

FirestarLuva
01-11-2013, 07:04 PM
http://gamingbolt.com/assassins-creed-4-7-things-ubisoft-needs-to-improve

Assassinís Creed 3 was one of the most highly anticipated games of 2012, and Ubisoft left no stone unturned when it came to hyping the game. Everyone was touting it as the potential game of the year, and we all expected another masterclass on the same level as Assassinís Creed 2 and Brotherhood. However, Assassinís Creed 3, while excellent in its own right, couldnít manage to live up to out admittedly unreasonable expectations, and ended up disappointing many, including one of us here at GamingBolt.

But letís face it- Assassinís Creed III had some flaws that cannot be neglected. It took the series in a completely different direction, as many wanted, but in doing so, it also did a few things that fans of the franchise did not agree with, and some that were simply baffling from a gameplay and design perspective.

So when the inevitable Assassinís Creed 4 does come out- we all know it will- Ubisoft will need a make a few changes. Below is a list of seven changes we think the development team at Montreal will need to implement in the next AssCreed title if they want to see the franchise going back to its glory days of 2009/10.

Letís begin;

1. Parkour

We absolutely loved how Ubisoft handled the platforming in the frontier in Assassinís Creed 3. But when it came to New York and Boston- the cities- the parkour that the series is so famous for simply fell flat. Why? Because there wasnít enough verticality. There wasnít anything wrong with the platforming itself per se (well, except for the control scheme, but more on that later), but Assassinís Creed is known for its great rooftop jumping and seamless platforming in jampacked cities. Sure, AC3 was still a very atmospheric game, but we want Assassinís Creed 4 visit a more urbanized location and give us some more of the parkour that made us fall in love with Assassinís Creed in the first place.

2. Controls

Why the hell did Ubisoft try fixing the controls in Assassinís Creed 3? They were perfect exactly as they were in the previous games. Yes, I know we asked for a change in the formula, Ubisoft, but you didnít have to go an change the freaking controls. Having no sprint option just felt weird, and while the changed control scheme might have helped improve the combat, it seriously hurt the quality of the platforming. With AC4, Ubisoft should either go back to the control scheme they had in the Ezio trilogy, or just stay with what they have but at least give us the option to sprint again.

3. Technical issues

Being an open world game, we all expected Assassinís Creed 3 to have technical issues. But it had a few too many. Not only did it have customary glitches and freezes and frame rate drops, its textures looks really bland at times, and while the game was a very good looking one on the whole, it had some really bad moments visually- especially when it came to lip syncing and facial animations- that should not have been present with the new engine. Hopefully, Assassinís Creed 4 will have much less technical issues to hinder the experience.

4. Better lead character

Connor was a great, intriguing character with a fleshed out backstory. We have nothing against him. But as a lead character, he didnít click for us- many of us. Maybe we were unfairly comparing him with Ezio, but Connor just wasnít as charismatic or as interesting to watch or play as. If Assassinís Creed 4 does remain in the same sub-universe as that of AC3, weíd rather play as Haytham, or maybe as a younger Achilles. Or if we were to play as Connor, weíd like to see more intricacies in his character.

5. Better characters, period

Haytham was an excellent character. Achilles was a character with wasted potential. AC3 had some good characters, but the cast doesnít match the awesomeness of La Volpe, Machiavelli, Leonardo Da Vinci, Mario, Claudia and Bartolomeo. Ac3 focused too much on the big picture that it forgot to flesh out its characters, and in the end we were left with a cast that had next to no memorable names to speak of. Assassinís Creed 4 needs to go back to the days when we actually cared about the characters our assassin met (which wasnít that long ago).

6. Better present day storyline

This has been an issue in the series ever since the first game came out in 2007. The story always has the potential to be great, but it always turns into just a framing device for the actual, Animus-story to take place in, and the potential always goes to waste. We have no idea where AC4 will go with the present storyline, given how things ended in Assassinís Creed 3, but the potential is higher than ever, so we expect Ubisoft to step us this time, and give us a proper story in the present day scenario.

7. More stealth

Assassinís Creed has been moving towards the action adventure genre with each successive installment, and with Assassinís Creed 3, it completely let got of its stealth roots. It had next to no sneaking- it was all out action. And that is not something more of the Assassinís Creed fans liked seeing. Assassinís Creed 4 needs to go back to the days of the first game, when stealth was the primary focus, because those sections were actually also the best.

----

Agree, disagree?
I agree on some parts, especially the technical issues, controls, lack of stealth, but not about the characters. In my opinion, AC3 developed one of the best characters in the series, Connor, Haytham, Ziio, Achilles, Lee, Hickey and the other Templars. I wasn't actually surprised when I saw one of the reasons being Connor since after reading their review you'll see they were expecting nothing more than another Ezio; they even said they compared Connor to him. Connor isn't as charismatic and interesting as Ezio? The usual complaint every Ezio fan has. These guys don't seem much AC fans as they are AC2 fans if you ask me.
And the next character to be like Ezio. No. Big NO. One of the things that drew me in the AC series was Altair, he was interesting, complex, mysterious, different than most heroes I've seen. Then Ezio. He was an italian stereotype, no doubt about it. He was pretty bad *** in the early trailers and I was actually hoping he won't be like he is now. I was disappointed. I even stopped buying AC after AC2 until I heard of AC3. It seemed something new, so I gave it a try and I loved it. It restored my faith in the series once again. So I disagree about another charismatic, funny stereotype as a protagonist. If Ubi are too afraid to try something new because of a few Ezio fanboys then they've lost all respect in my eyes. That'd be the last time I'd buy another AC game. Ever.
And better side characters and villians? What? Though I agree Achilles had more potential but the Homestead missions filled that up, at least for me.

Dejan507
01-11-2013, 07:39 PM
I agree with parkour, in cities I found my self barely using it to get around. Why bother when if I use the rooftops, guards will detect me in no time? Alright so I use those platforms on the sides of the streets, but then technical difficulties come in and Connor hits those store signs instead of climbing them and falls to the street losing time. In the end I simply ran across streets or used my horse (and don't get me started on the ****ed horse following me everywhere once I climb down from it, annoying)

I also agree that characters were unmemorable (some not, granted).
I only played through AC3 once and to be honest I barely remember any of my targets or other side characters - a problem I never had in previous titles.

Kaschra
01-11-2013, 07:43 PM
1. Parkour:
I agree with that. I really loved climbing on rooftops in the previous games, but in AC3 it wasn't fun :/

2. Controlls
Controlls are okay, you just have to get used to them.

3. Technical issues:
They need to reduce the amount of glitches. And better lip synch.

4. Better lead character:
Like they said, Connor didn't click for many - and unfortunatelly I'm one of them :/
I liked him as a kid and as a teenager - but later on he just started to pis me off.

5. Better characters:
I like Achilles, but I too think his potential was wasted. Especially during the later parts of the game. And the last Homestead mission should have been in the main story.
There are a bunch of characters I really like and I'm interested in, like Haytham, Ziio, Charles Lee - but the overall cast of characters is... uh... boring. I'm talking about the Patriots. Washington, Adams, Revere... I think Ubisoft did a pretty bad job with them. They weren't fleshed out at all and just uninteresting in my opinion. They were just... there. I even like the homestead characters more than the Patriots.

6. Present Day Story
I really like the Present Day story - but Ubisoft really needs to put much more effort in it.

predatorpulse7
01-11-2013, 08:51 PM
http://gamingbolt.com/assassins-creed-4-7-things-ubisoft-needs-to-improve

Agree, disagree?
I agree on some parts, especially the technical issues, controls, lack of stealth, but not about the characters. In my opinion, AC3 developed one of the best characters in the series, Connor, Haytham, Ziio, Achilles, Lee, Hickey and the other Templars. I wasn't actually surprised when I saw one of the reasons being Connor since after reading their review you'll see they were expecting nothing more than another Ezio; they even said they compared Connor to him. Connor isn't as charismatic and interesting as Ezio? The usual complaint every Ezio fan has. These guys don't seem much AC fans as they are AC2 fans if you ask me.
And the next character to be like Ezio. No. Big NO. One of the things that drew me in the AC series was Altair, he was interesting, complex, mysterious, different than most heroes I've seen. Then Ezio. He was an italian stereotype, no doubt about it. He was pretty bad *** in the early trailers and I was actually hoping he won't be like he is now. I was disappointed. I even stopped buying AC after AC2 until I heard of AC3. It seemed something new, so I gave it a try and I loved it. It restored my faith in the series once again. So I disagree about another charismatic, funny stereotype as a protagonist. If Ubi are too afraid to try something new because of a few Ezio fanboys then they've lost all respect in my eyes. That'd be the last time I'd buy another AC game. Ever.
And better side characters and villians? What? Though I agree Achilles had more potential but the Homestead missions filled that up, at least for me.

So because the series had a charismatic/funny protagonist at one time, now every game from now on needs to have a stoic/stick up his *** guy/girl? That's just silly. Are you actually suggesting that if for AC4 the protagonist isn't a Altair/Connor clone then somehow Ubi tossed the Ezio fanboy's salad? Ezio is freaking dead. Anybody that loved the franchise just for Ezio and not the overall series has long moved on(since November 2011 probably). It's true that Ezio was such a resounding character that Ubi milked him to death in time(heck Revelations only selling point that "IT WAS THE END OF EZIO's JOURNEY OMG!!!) but this was a sound strategy(until Revelations that is) because this guy was well liked by most AC fans.

Ubi doesn't give a crap if a character is extrovert(Ezio)/introvert(Connor/Altair) or whatever character traits you wanna throw at them. At the end of the day, if that character is loved by most gamers, games will be made with them until they overstay their welcome(and let's face it, everything gets old after a while).See Kratos, a man whose only trait is that he f**ks s**t up and has psychotic rage, he has many games unders his belt because gamers seem to like him. If Connor was well received by most, you can expect another 2-3 games starring him but from what I've read online the main reaction to him is indifference so I wouldn't hold my breath.

But still, to comment on the article:

1.Totally agree on the Parkour bit. Bring back verticality to this series and fast. There is something that is just off about staying on the ground for most of the time in the city in an AC game.

2.Controls are kinda wonky, especially when moving. They are decent for combat though. AC was already an incredibly simple game, now you don't even have to worry about jumping from building to building, so you can't even make mistakes now. No more judging to see if you could make the jump or barely catch the edge. That was fun in the old games. Now you just go forward and Connor automatically scales anything around him and stops when a jump is deemed unsafe. Boring. Let us make mistakes Ubi.

3.Disagree. Must've played somewhere around the 50 hour mark and I've only had 3-4 bugs. This game was quite stable for me, even moreso than AC2.

4. People here already know my feelings about Connor. Put me in the "he didn't click with me" category, which is kinda funny cause he is supposedly Altair 2.0 yet Altair still seems cooler and more memorable to me.

5. I agree, the secondary characters cast is quite weak for this game, there is a reason why most people out there mention Haytham and Achilles. They are worthy characters that can be expanded on in future games. I really liked the voice acting for Charles Lee but he didn't stick with me, probably because of the hilariously bad end chase sequence and the bit where he sits wounded at the table with mohawk Connor, having a final drink. That seemed cheesy as hell to me at the time and I've played a game in this series where I punched the pope. It was almost as bad as fighting with Haytham(the almighty templar) and pushing him into barrels and tables.

6. Well, I agree but the present day storyline will always suck because no matter what you do, it can't be as interesting as going back and living an ancestor's memories. Desmond is the weakest link in the AC universe and after you've seen his ending, you'll know that the people writing him didn't give a crap about his story either, he was simply interlude for the other guys stories even though it was supposed to be the other way round. I'm actually one of the people that believes the AC universe would be better without the whole Animus and conspiracy present day meta-story. Why not just have a historical assassin in that particular setting? A sort of alternate history kind of thing.

7. Sure, count me in but AC has NEVER truly been about stealth. It's an action game that likes to think itself as stealthy but really, it isn't and never was. The true mark of a stealthy game(besides gameplay mechanics like knowing if you are hidden or not, how far your opponent can see and hear, stuff like that) is the fact that if you are discovered, you are f**ked, you need to run and fast, or else you are DEAD. Altair,Ezio and Connor can more than hold their own against enemies, in fact from Ezio onward they are absolute killing machines that have no problem taking 20 guys out in the open. In AC3 I would go and seek out opponents just to see Connor's finishers. Does that sound like a stealth game to you? In a stealth game you should actively avoid guards. In AC series you rarely do so, unless you will fail the mission if you are detected.

Sushiglutton
01-11-2013, 09:09 PM
1) The cities lacked the beautiful architecture from previous games (not Ubi's fault obv). I think they were fine though.
2) The previous controls were not anywhere near perfect. The authour has also not understood why they changed it (has to do with tree parkour). They should not go back imo. Instead they should add a little bit more player control to get a natural challenge and make it more precise.
3) Everyone obv agree on this, including Ubi I'm sure.
4) Disagree. Connor was an unusual protagonist which Ubi deserves credit for. I didn't like him either at first, but he has grown on me. I want more! Also his cat-like movements are just too gorgeous :D! The Homestead missions added another dimension to his character.
5) Not a biggie for me, thought they did ok in that regard.
6) Just dump it, or keep it to a minimum. No need to improve it.
7) It had stealth, but more focus on it would be nice.

Overall I think this is a mediocre list. They missed the imo biggest issues (restricted mission design and weak core gameplay) and focused on some things I thought weren't bad at all.

RenaudV
01-12-2013, 07:26 PM
1) I knew I wasn't the only one frustrated with the freerunning in the cities! Some of it can be explained by the fact that Ubisoft used streetmaps of that time to recreate Boston and NY, but it doesn't explain why I had trouble escaping soldiers while this was never so bothersome in the previous games. Still, kudos to treerunning and the (tree/free)running graphics.

2) The new combat system is awesome but I think they need to reintroduce the sprint button in ACIV

3)Didn't have to many bugs, nothing that a reload wouldn't fix. Only big problem was with some of the cutscenes (graphics/lip-synch)

4)I don't agree at ALL! If people just want an Ezio clone, Ubisoft could just have made Ezio the main character without explaining how he got to be 300+ years old. I love how each protagonist is different and how he is presented to us: we start with AltaÔr as a master assassin who knows no other life than Masyaf, Ezio starts off with the perfect life (family, girlfriend, wealthy parents..), and now Connor who is torn apart on his mixed heritage. The only criticism I have is that Connor has (IMHO) less character development during the game than AltaÔr/Ezio

5)Achilles, the Homestead residents, Ziio, GW, Benjamin Franklin, Haytham and the other Templars are excellent characters. The only ones who I had trouble relating to were Paul Revere and company, they didn't show enough emotion for me.

6) Although I think that the present storyline could be better in ACIV, this one was already awesome: finally seeing Desmond put his training to use, with the added difficulty of removing the virtual markers of the Animus was a perfect way to see if you had mastered the controls as a player. I doubt that the present storyline will ever get much bigger because admit it, the past is the main story of the game

7) Perhaps ACIII had a few less stealth moments than its predecessors but it had its jewels: especially the Pitcairn assassination (from the flag pole) and the Johnson assassination (from the top of his house) are awesome stealth missions if performed right

DroppedClock56
01-12-2013, 08:24 PM
I have to agree on alot, but I like the change, the only thing that bothers me is technical errors and gliches.

http://m.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/01/07/this-is-how-you-do-assassins-creed-4-chinese-set-fan-art-sells-the-orient-hard
^ this is what I want in the next assassins creed.

theshankpimp19
01-13-2013, 04:43 AM
I disagree with the controls thing and the parkour. It's not really their fault there wasn't any spectacular city buildings hundreds of feet tall for you to climb and jump around on, those didn't exist during this time period in America. And the control scheme for parkour is definitely better in AC3. The "claw" we had to use in the previous games caused so much frustration with having no camera control while running around, which ALWAYS led to accidentally jumping off of rooftops and dying. Also there was plenty of stealth in this. Obviously not with things like the Boston Tea Party and big battles, but the ability to hide in bushes, the rope dart, basically all aspects of hunting, required stealth.

B_Crispino
01-13-2013, 07:15 AM
I disagree with most of it, specially the Connor bit. Connor was (is) an awesome character with the ammount of depth I've never seen in a game... He is most certainly not a 2nd version of Altair, just for being a quiet guy. Connor is much more idealistic, sensitive and, what perhaps is the most frustrating and yet compelling thing about him: he is naive. naivety is something that i felt missing in the series... a bunch of cold blooded killer just assassinating people just for the creed... connor seemed... he seemed to believe that what he was doing was important, that he could save his people as well as so many others. connor believed in justice and supported those who he thought could bring it to men. and then he gets the kick in the balls... the same people he supported are slave-owners, greedy, blood-thirsty sons of *****es that destroyed his village. still, even getting to know the truth, connor believes in equality for men... it's beautiful, really... his actions are guided by something that is much higher than himself or the creed (even though he chases charles lee and puts some of personal vendetta in his quest, showing that he too is human). The past characters seemed to either be driven by a brainwashing loyalty to the creed or by an unsatiable desire for vengeance... it was a welcome change, if you ask me.

It's easy to like ezio, i'ts easy to like haytham and it's easy to think altair is a badass. connor is a much more complex character than any of those, in my opinion, and requires to be comprehended.

Gi1t
01-13-2013, 07:58 AM
7: This is definitely the one I want to see most. What I liked most about AC was that it was not about sneaking around and never being spotted; it was about hiding in the crowd and only engaging in combat when you CHOSE to. You weren't forced to stay hidden, nor forced to engage in combat, it was a choice and that's what made it fun. How many stealth mechanics doesn't matter nearly as much as the mission/area design. The various in-game elements that are used for stealth need to be placed where they can be used during the mission. It only counts if you can actually use it during the important missions at your discretion. The ability to use stealth on run of the mill enemies in the middle of nowhere seems rather superficial by comparison.

shobhit7777777
01-13-2013, 08:06 AM
If you're gonna make a must have list you'd better list out some solutions as well....this is just a "7Things we didn't like or felt were missing" list...which is cool but at the end of the day too vague, IMHO.

Eitherway...AC4 has to sort out a lot of stuff.

YuurHeen
01-13-2013, 09:54 AM
1. Parkour
disagree that the frontier had much better parkour.
2. Controls
on pc did not really felt different
3. Technical issues
It sure was most buggy ac game ever. really hope they fix it.
4. Better lead character
Disagree. while I did not like connor I really did like they moved on after ezio. I dont like connor because I disagree a lot with him in his actions but he is just a person and noone is perfect.
5. Better characters, period
Disagree a lot. I thought the character from ac2 were dull, cliche and kinda stupid. without ezio they couldnt do a thing. Haytham, achilles and the people from your hometown had more depth than characters from ac2 or acb.
6. Better present day storyline
agree that this was a let down
7. More stealth
There was stealth in ac 3 if you had to follow someone in order to eavesdrop on them. It did not turn out ok.

Things I would mention:
Better mission design.
Most missions were just terrible.

more focus on assassinations.
This is what ac is about. And not about guiding pigs back to their stables.

DiceCuzUrNOT
01-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Connor and Ezio are my favorite characters. I hope for the next game before AC4 is a continuation of Connors story. But honestly i don't see how they can make an AC4 cuz Desmond is *spoiler alert* dead. Unless they use a new character and he uses the animus to be his ancestors. but i see no point in that cuz the whole point of the series was to stop 2012.

Speedemon1066
01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
I'd love some Haytham DLC. For me, he was the best AC character yet, but that's my opinion. Still, as far a sI know, there is some love for Haytham, and I'd love to do some of the stuff he did in Forsaken. Also, Charles had a crazy personality chnage, so it'd be cool to see him as the normal guy he was at the start.

Also, more Haytham and Ziio would be so cool. The story was the best at the start in my opinion. Maybe alternatibe universe, like the King Washginton DLC. Haytham if he raised Connor. Could be cool to see...

I still liked AC3 though. Best one, though I'd love more of the parkour you see on TV. That graceful, flexible movement is lacking.

Mr_Shade
01-13-2013, 08:23 PM
re: the Technical issues pointed out - such as small world, bad textures and poor frame rate - roll on next gen, that will help ;)

lothario-da-be
01-13-2013, 08:24 PM
I'd love some Haytham DLC. For me, he was the best AC character yet, but that's my opinion. Still, as far a sI know, there is some love for Haytham, and I'd love to do some of the stuff he did in Forsaken. Also, Charles had a crazy personality chnage, so it'd be cool to see him as the normal guy he was at the start.

Also, more Haytham and Ziio would be so cool. The story was the best at the start in my opinion. Maybe alternatibe universe, like the King Washginton DLC. Haytham if he raised Connor. Could be cool to see...

I still liked AC3 though. Best one, though I'd love more of the parkour you see on TV. That graceful, flexible movement is lacking.
I haven't read forsaken yet. But i would prefer a full Haytham game instead of a dlc.