PDA

View Full Version : How modern day should be done.

mattahleen
01-08-2013, 01:44 AM
If you're not into rants then just leave and watch happy tree friends. Ok, I would just like to say how I personally believe the modern segments should be in future titles. It is obvious that not everyone enjoys these bits. Some even hate them. Shocking right?:rolleyes: To please these fans, it's obvious that ubisoft made these sections as quick as possible. That is not how you handle such a situation. When the fans are skeptical to something, you don't remove or shorten it. You should do your best to improve it. I'm not saying ac3 should have been a Desmond game, but it was seriously lacking in that area. Each mission also felt like different gameplay modes. While this is acceptable, it could have been avoided if they allowed more missions. What really would be satisfying would be a small area of free roam, which IS kind of in the way of the plot in ac3. Now to the fans, stop looking for things to blame. There is no specific reason for a game to be unsatisfactory to you. You can't point at something and lock it up so you can sleep soundly at night. Modern segments, new developers, or character developments alone are not going to ruin a game. On a side note Connor is not bland. He is naive and has a temper. You shouldn't say he is bland just because he isn't your typical Hollywood ladies man. Even if he is, Ezio wasn't any better. I stand by that point. And stop comparing Desmond to Nathan drake. I apologize to any sane people who have read this.

ToughGuy31
01-08-2013, 02:12 AM
If you're not into rants then just leave and watch happy tree friends. Ok, I would just like to say how I personally believe the modern segments should be in future titles. It is obvious that not everyone enjoys these bits. Some even hate them. Shocking right?:rolleyes: To please these fans, it's obvious that ubisoft made these sections as quick as possible. That is not how you handle such a situation. When the fans are skeptical to something, you don't remove or shorten it. You should do your best to improve it. I'm not saying ac3 should have been a Desmond game, but it was seriously lacking in that area. Each mission also felt like different gameplay modes. While this is acceptable, it could have been avoided if they allowed more missions. What really would be satisfying would be a small area of free roam, which IS kind of in the way of the plot in ac3. Now to the fans, stop looking for things to blame. There is no specific reason for a game to be unsatisfactory to you. You can't point at something and lock it up so you can sleep soundly at night. Modern segments, new developers, or character developments alone are not going to ruin a game. On a side note Connor is not bland. He is naive and has a temper. You shouldn't say he is bland just because he isn't your typical Hollywood ladies man. Even if he is, Ezio wasn't any better. I stand by that point. And stop comparing Desmond to Nathan drake. I apologize to any sane people who have read this.
That's actually what Corey May, the lead writer, want's. He thinks they should be making the modern parts better, not brushing them to the side. But he's not in charge of that stuff, and Ubisoft keep doing that because of the lukewarm reception to the modern parts. And I think people say Connor is bland because they're so used to Ezio.

Gi1t
01-08-2013, 02:17 AM

Actually, I think this is a good idea for a thread. After the one where people talked about what they like/dislike about it, it's a good time for some discussion about the way people think it should have been. :) I DO think it's stupid to try to dilute an important part of the story because some people don't like it right away, when you have the option of improving it so that they CAN like it.

(And I agree, it's unnecessary to compare characters just because they have the same voice. I hear familiar voices all the time and it doesn't bother me. I find it amusing. XD)

exkrima
01-08-2013, 02:28 AM
I am also a fan of modern day AC, thats how i started liking AC where you can look from the past, I was waiting desmond in AC1 to have a skill unfortunately it did not happen, then in AC2 things looks great, in AC3 thats the awesome part where he can do missions, sad part its just 3 missions, I really wish there are 5. Though i was hoping for a new host, i don't know if he can travel by his genes or using desmond's dna to sync in animus, I even want a kid(like connor kid in a hood), a bullied kid turn Assassin then go back to school for a payback then turn to real assassin. (sorry, i just watch captain marvel and superman trailer though its not the same and i even read history strongest disciple manga).

SixKeys
01-08-2013, 02:40 AM
I even want a kid(like connor kid in a hood), a bullied kid turn Assassin then go back to school for a payback then turn to real assassin.

You want to play as a kid killing other kids? That's kind of messed up.

exkrima
01-08-2013, 02:47 AM
You want to play as a kid killing other kids? That's kind of messed up.
I did not mean like that? at first he get to encounter the AC guys, like shaun & rebecca, get to log in animus get to know a few combos like start at haytham where he knows how to "brawl", go back to school defend himself, learn something about history after visiting the past, then can tell story about the past in class, the class gets awe, then decide to himself if he wants join brotherhood, besides assassins kid killing templar has cool moves and will have a long arc kid to adult.

Assassin_M
01-08-2013, 02:48 AM
I don't think "MOAR" is the solution to more appealing Modern Day portions...that`s just me.

I thought the gameplay itself was great in AC III. just needs to FEEL a bit different from the Past portions. It was the Modern STORY that I felt was underwhelming. Cross and Vidic.....it was just effed up

Assassin_M
01-08-2013, 02:49 AM
I did not mean like that? at first he get to encounter the AC guys, like shaun & rebecca, get to log in animus get to know a few combos like start at haytham where he knows how to "brawl", go back to school defend himself, learn something about history after visiting the past, then can tell story about the past in class, the class gets awe, then decide to himself if he wants join brotherhood, besides assassins kid killing templar has cool moves and will have a long arc kid to adult.
That`s so cheesy and misplaced..

ToughGuy31
01-08-2013, 02:50 AM
Actually, I think this is a good idea for a thread. After the one where people talked about what they like/dislike about it, it's a good time for some discussion about the way people think it should have been. :) I DO think it's stupid to try to dilute an important part of the story because some people don't like it right away, when you have the option of improving it so that they CAN like it.

(And I agree, it's unnecessary to compare characters just because they have the same voice. I hear familiar voices all the time and it doesn't bother me. I find it amusing. XD)
Okay let's talk about how we think it should've gone down then. I personally think Desmond should've SPOILER ALERT! Live at the end of 3 and be the main protagonist of AC3 revolution or whatever it's gonna be called. The game would've ended with Dez carrying on his genes to some chick, possibly the modern day Eve, and dying to kill Juno, leaving the possibility of some futuristic AC and ending the TWCB story. But that's just my idea and it's probably not the best.

I don't think "MOAR" is the solution to more appealing Modern Day portions...that`s just me.

I thought the gameplay itself was great in AC III. just needs to FEEL a bit different from the Past portions. It was the Modern STORY that I felt was underwhelming. Cross and Vidic.....it was just effed up

Quality, not quantity.

exkrima
01-08-2013, 02:55 AM
i was expecting more for daniel cross in AC3, it did not happen though.

That`s so cheesy and misplaced..
I guess, but kid assassin i don't know like the age of robin in batman, i thought why not?

D.I.D.
01-08-2013, 02:59 AM
That's actually what Corey May, the lead writer, want's. He thinks they should be making the modern parts better, not brushing them to the side. But he's not in charge of that stuff, and Ubisoft keep doing that because of the lukewarm reception to the modern parts. And I think people say Connor is bland because they're so used to Ezio.

He is responsible for why, with whatever limited scope he's been given, the writing in these sections is such dross. I think you're putting words in his mouth to say his hands are tied, just because of a throwaway interview comment about how he wishes he could do extra things. That's just a discussion of resources, not a sign that someone else is making him write poor themes.

I don't know where this idea comes from that they're brushing the modern parts to the side, either. They've had increasing prominence in every game.

Assassin_M
01-08-2013, 03:03 AM
Quality, not quantity.
Exactly. I`m surprised by how some people think that more will do better...

D.I.D.
01-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Exactly. I`m surprised by how some people think that more will do better...

Yeah, I agree with you. The amount of it is just about right but the content needs to be completely rethought, as though the other games never existed and they were writing the series for the first time. Given the ingredients, the results we've seen feel very unnatural.

Assassin_M
01-08-2013, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I agree with you. The amount of it is just about right but the content needs to be completely rethought, as though the other games never existed and they were writing the series for the first time. Given the ingredients, the results we've seen feel very unnatural.
Indeed. They have a great chance with the next game. completely fresh, new plate...New Story line, new setting, new mysteries, new Protagonists....Lets hope they re-captivate people again

mattahleen
01-08-2013, 03:13 AM
I was gravely disappointed with the lack of final words of cross and vidic. Though that final mission was still very much awesome. I was satisfied with the quality of the missions. It's just... 3 missions? Really?

DroppedClock56
01-08-2013, 03:17 AM
I actualy liked the Desmond missions in Assassins Creed 3. I would kind of want to see a game revolve around him where you play Desmond for the majority of the time.

D.I.D.
01-08-2013, 03:29 AM
I actualy liked the Desmond missions in Assassins Creed 3. I would kind of want to see a game revolve around him where you play Desmond for the majority of the time.

It could get boring. He's pretty lazy nowadays, just kind of lying around quietly.

exkrima
01-08-2013, 03:29 AM

I agree, unlike in AC1 where you can do nothing (not exactly but almost), and you only walk and Desmond's first punch was in AC2. I guess i've waited Ac3 just for that Mission where he can shine(literally in the end). :)

Assassin_M
01-08-2013, 03:31 AM
It could get boring. He's pretty lazy nowadays, just kind of lying around quietly.
I wonder if the gameplay will include QTE with worms...

MT4K
01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I wonder if the gameplay will include QTE with worms...

Boss fight maybe?

AjinkyaParuleka
01-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Boss fight maybe?
Juhani Otso Berg vs Desmond?

Sushiglutton
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Best option would be to get rid of it entirely. When you start the game there is the classic loading screen and a voice saying: "Welcome to the Animus". Then you simply start playing as an assassin in some historic era.

Second best would be to make it as short as possible. One [walk, cutscene, walk, cutscene, walk, cutscene]- sequence in the beginning of the game and one at the end.

Third best would be to make the present more distinct from the past in terms of gameplay. The modern day protagonist could be, say, a historian (Shaun Hastings?) who solves puzzles based on objects/clues you find in the animus (could be similar to glyph puzzles, or more physical puzzels (mirrors and stuff)). So you have the contrast between the more physical part in the animus and the more mental part in the real world. Turning the real world protaginist into a gimped version of the ancestor is not a good idea. The goal of the puzzle solving is to find a way to take down Juno.

pacmanate
01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Modern Day isn't well recieved so they make the missions and story shorter, gameplay wise.

Yet thats contradictory in a sense. If they made the missions better and had a better modern story, then the Modern Day story would be better received!

she-assassin
01-08-2013, 02:37 PM
This is a bit off topic, but I wonder how they'll handle the modern day stuff in the upcoming movie. They won't need to worry about the gameplay anymore, the ancestor's story will have more than enough action anyway, so they can focus on the mystery aspect of the story and character development in the modern day and we might actually finally get some answers, too. In fact, I think the modern day story will do much better on the big screen than it has ever done in the games.

mattahleen
01-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Best option would be to get rid of it entirely. When you start the game there is the classic loading screen and a voice saying: "Welcome to the Animus". Then you simply start playing as an assassin in some historic era.

Second best would be to make it as short as possible. One [walk, cutscene, walk, cutscene, walk, cutscene]- sequence in the beginning of the game and one at the end.

Third best would be to make the present more distinct from the past in terms of gameplay. The modern day protagonist could be, say, a historian (Shaun Hastings?) who solves puzzles based on objects/clues you find in the animus (could be similar to glyph puzzles, or more physical puzzels (mirrors and stuff)). So you have the contrast between the more physical part in the animus and the more mental part in the real world. Turning the real world protaginist into a gimped version of the ancestor is not a good idea. The goal of the puzzle solving is to find a way to take down Juno.
No

Gi1t
01-08-2013, 07:17 PM

As said by the great Willy Wonka: 'Strike that; reverse it.' XD

An addition to what you've said on the modern day segments: When the time DOES come for some action in the modern day, they need to treat it as they woul a new Assassin. I suspect that's why they kept talking about making an all-modern game, so they could focus on making a distinct new gameplay style as they would with a new ancestor. But there's an alternative. They could make a totally new system for a modern day part, and use an established Assassin in the Animus part of the game, as they have before. That would make it less trouble to make a game where both the modern and historical segments are distinct and well done.

Sushiglutton
01-08-2013, 07:56 PM
As said by the great Willy Wonka: 'Strike that; reverse it.' XD

An addition to what you've said on the modern day segments: When the time DOES come for some action in the modern day, they need to treat it as they woul a new Assassin. I suspect that's why they kept talking about making an all-modern game, so they could focus on making a distinct new gameplay style as they would with a new ancestor. But there's an alternative. They could make a totally new system for a modern day part, and use an established Assassin in the Animus part of the game, as they have before. That would make it less trouble to make a game where both the modern and historical segments are distinct and well done.

It would be such a waste of resources imo. The gameplay in the animus part is still very weak and needs full attention. Keeping it as it is for one game, just so you can develop a seperate type of action gameplay for the modern day, is to me a bad idea. You would just end up with two mediocre gameplay styles.

The good thing about puzzles is that they are cheap :).

Sushiglutton
01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
No

Since Juno is on the loose we have to stop her. Or what would you suggest as the goal of the puzzles?

BaronVonES
01-08-2013, 08:46 PM

This is the biggest problem with the modern segments from a gameplay perspective - you are just a severely cut down version of your ancestor; your move-set is restricted, your environment has less chance to be interacted with and you are locked in a very linear portion of the story. Even the way that fighting takes place doesn't make sense (a 21st century brawl should be vastly different to a time wherein swords were the norm, or a time where guns were a liability because of ungainly reload speeds).

Perhaps the modern segment have its own sandbox world to interact with (albeit smaller than the ancestor's portion), but with a distinctive gameplay style that makes sense for the modern descendant. There could be a driving plot-point in the modern portion that (at various points) hints at a use of the animus to piece together what happened, and hence figure out what to do next (so both stories feed into each other - but the problem is that there would be a need to switch between two sandbox worlds).

Either that, or just focus on making a modern-day game entirely, putting as much effort into it as the historical segments of the prior games. I'd like to see how that would be handled (as well as finally see a story where problems are no longer solved simply by reliving the memories of an ancestor).

ToughGuy31
01-08-2013, 11:49 PM
This is a bit off topic, but I wonder how they'll handle the modern day stuff in the upcoming movie. They won't need to worry about the gameplay anymore, the ancestor's story will have more than enough action anyway, so they can focus on the mystery aspect of the story and character development in the modern day and we might actually finally get some answers, too. In fact, I think the modern day story will do much better on the big screen than it has ever done in the games.
FINALLY SOMEONE WHO'S INTERESTED IN SEEING THE MOVIE! Everyone keeps putting it down even tho it hasn't come out yet.

ToughGuy31
01-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Sorry, double post.

exkrima
01-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Best option would be to get rid of it entirely
No, I prefer removing MP since the server not online most of the time and stuck in offline mode.

Besides Ac is about history and modern day, AC3's modern day is good and they can improve the modern gameplay. Desmond can even use guns(awesome reload, btw).

Since Juno is on the loose we have to stop her. Or what would you suggest as the goal of the puzzles?
your historical ancestor is a badass assassin and the modern assassin kills some puzzle? it doesnt make sense...

Gi1t
01-09-2013, 12:28 AM
It would be such a waste of resources imo. The gameplay in the animus part is still very weak and needs full attention. Keeping it as it is for one game, just so you can develop a seperate type of action gameplay for the modern day, is to me a bad idea. You would just end up with two mediocre gameplay styles.

The good thing about puzzles is that they are cheap :).

The only cure for that problem is to not be lazy. XD There's no other option but to be more ambitious about it. The one reason I'd say you're right at this point is because Ubisoft seems to try to do as many things as they can whether they're great or not, rather then being concerned about doing specific thingss as well as possible. But I would have faith in their ability to produce a better modern day segment if they were to change this habit.

exkrima
01-09-2013, 12:38 AM
as long as its not a modern puzzle solving, I mean the protagonist is an assassin so act like one, it takes 3 series to make desmond goes to mission and kill vidic but at least he act like one, it doesnt have to be a killer, but at least knows how to free run; infiltrate(stealth), hack and can control the apple(unless juno takes it), besides the modern one is just a host for the main protagonist of the series.

ToughGuy31
01-09-2013, 03:34 AM
He is responsible for why, with whatever limited scope he's been given, the writing in these sections is such dross. I think you're putting words in his mouth to say his hands are tied, just because of a throwaway interview comment about how he wishes he could do extra things. That's just a discussion of resources, not a sign that someone else is making him write poor themes.

I don't know where this idea comes from that they're brushing the modern parts to the side, either. They've had increasing prominence in every game.

I want him (Desmond) to (have more screen time), but it's not my choice. It's tough-Some people love Desmond, and some people don't. This stuff has an influence....

I'm fine with people who say they don't like the present day because I've done a crappy job. That's actionable intelligence. I can't help those who don't like the concept. It's integral with the game. It's not going anywhere. So I think we should be focusing on making the present day more appealing, rather than just marginalizing it out of the picture.
I got that from a interview with him from game informer. I didn't make that up, and I did mean both. Some people are limiting his resources and making him write LESS modern day stuff. But I never meant he isn't responsible for poor themes or bad writing, just that he's not responsible for how much he get's to focus on the modern day parts.

mattahleen
01-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Corey may did the best with what he had.

D.I.D.
01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I got that from a interview with him from game informer. I didn't make that up, and I did mean both. Some people are limiting his resources and making him write LESS modern day stuff. But I never meant he isn't responsible for poor themes or bad writing, just that he's not responsible for how much he get's to focus on the modern day parts.

I'm not accusing you of making it up, I just said this is a question of resources. Judging by the results of him trying to work with a very limited scope, that's probably a good thing.

Sushiglutton
01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
The only cure for that problem is to not be lazy. XD There's no other option but to be more ambitious about it. The one reason I'd say you're right at this point is because Ubisoft seems to try to do as many things as they can whether they're great or not, rather then being concerned about doing specific thingss as well as possible. But I would have faith in their ability to produce a better modern day segment if they were to change this habit.At the end of the day this is ofc very subjective. Many fans like the modern day a lot (find it to be the main attraction even), I'm simply not interested in it. I can't imagine any imporovements that would win me over tbh :). Therefor I just want it kept to a minimum. It is kind of a dilemma for Ubi and the Corey quote above demonstrates that there are very different opinions even within the team. Since they left the Juno cliffhanger at the end there is no chance (or risk ;) ) they are removing it though.

I want to add that I don't feel super strongly about it either way. The sections are pretty short and doesn't bother me that much. But if I could choose, I would just get rid of them and use those resources for imo more important things.

Sushiglutton
01-09-2013, 01:34 PM
No, I prefer removing MP since the server not online most of the time and stuck in offline mode.

Besides Ac is about history and modern day, AC3's modern day is good and they can improve the modern gameplay. Desmond can even use guns(awesome reload, btw).

your historical ancestor is a badass assassin and the modern assassin kills some puzzle? it doesnt make sense...

If the choice was mine I would remove both (I never play MP). Sadly (or perhaps luckily, since Ubi needs money) the choice is not mine :).

Your gun remark kind of highlights the problem. In modern day guns make sense. However developing a (good) third person shooter on top of all the other mechanics is simply not feasible. It's excactly what they should not try to do imo.

It's common that people don't have the same skills and professions as their ancestors.

ToughGuy31
01-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Corey may did the best with what he had.
But he should've had more. He's a great writer, but they're not letting him focus enough on the present day.

zhengyingli
01-09-2013, 09:45 PM
I think AC1 and ACR had the best modern sections only because, feel free to call blasphemy on me, there weren't any action. ACII, ACB and ACIII just didn't seem convincing. Well, except for the first mission in ACIII, as it was nothing but platforming. I'd rather have Desmond sneak around rather than fight security guards with guns. His Eagle Vision could've served as detecting booby traps or detecting alternate ways throughout Abstergo. The only way I see him fighting realistically is against non-firearmed guards.

ToughGuy31
01-09-2013, 09:53 PM
I think AC1 and ACR had the best modern sections only because, feel free to call blasphemy on me, there weren't any action. ACII, ACB and ACIII just didn't seem convincing. Well, except for the first mission in ACIII, as it was nothing but platforming. I'd rather have Desmond sneak around rather than fight security guards with guns. His Eagle Vision could've served as detecting booby traps or detecting alternate ways throughout Abstergo. The only way I see him fighting realistically is against non-firearmed guards.
But fighting non- firearmed guards makes no sense in today's day and age.

zhengyingli
01-09-2013, 10:31 PM
But fighting non- firearmed guards makes no sense in today's day and age.
Exactly. That's why I suggested stealth over action. Desmond being able to wield a gun is kind of stretch, so I would prefer missions where you disarm people first (Arkham games). Of course, my fantasy since ACII has always been that Desmond collects all sorts of POEs and with his DNA he destroys Abstergo with his thoughts, which makes a lot more sense than what we got with fighting inept guards.

exkrima
01-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Exactly. That's why I suggested stealth over action. Desmond being able to wield a gun is kind of stretch, so I would prefer missions where you disarm people first (Arkham games). Of course, my fantasy since ACII has always been that Desmond collects all sorts of POEs and with his DNA he destroys Abstergo with his thoughts, which makes a lot more sense than what we got with fighting inept guards.
who knows? maybe the new guy will do the collecting its either abstergo or Juno(though we don't know what juno plans)

If the choice was mine I would remove both (I never play MP). Sadly (or perhaps luckily, since Ubi needs money) the choice is not mine http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/smilies/smile.png.

Your gun remark kind of highlights the problem. In modern day guns make sense. However developing a (good) third person shooter on top of all the other mechanics is simply not feasible. It's excactly what they should not try to do imo.

It's common that people don't have the same skills and professions as their ancestors.

i don't prefer third person shooter too, in AC3 in abstergo mission, desmond still use knifes and blades but he had a chance to use it like picking it up and use it, but it doesn't mean the modern story should be like third person shooter it will make the game different. a simple stealth and kill(using the hidden blade) the main target will do and get his main goal(shut down the building, collect poe, etc.), but if by chance they can still pick up guns in the next series. thats why i want a kid as the next host in the series, he can do stealth, hack, free run but don't kill(brawl for now)until he grows up.

ToughGuy31
01-10-2013, 04:07 AM
who knows? maybe the new guy will do the collecting its either abstergo or Juno(though we don't know what juno plans)

i don't prefer third person shooter too, in AC3 in abstergo mission, desmond still use knifes and blades but he had a chance to use it like picking it up and use it, but it doesn't mean the modern story should be like third person shooter it will make the game different. a simple stealth and kill(using the hidden blade) the main target will do and get his main goal(shut down the building, collect poe, etc.), but if by chance they can still pick up guns in the next series. thats why i want a kid as the next host in the series, he can do stealth, hack, free run but don't kill(brawl for now)until he grows up.

That's not to far fetched actually. Most kids don't want to kill people, and are usually against it. While kid vs grown men who are trained to fight other grown men is a stretch, so is bartender becoming most bad *** man alive.