PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed 2 for Mac n00b

wyzrassassin
01-07-2013, 10:46 PM
OK, I'm a newcomer to the AC franchise and started by installing AC2. I cannot get used to this control scheme. I see no ability to jump. Note: I come from a background of KOTOR, WoW, Diablo3, Starcraft2, Quake4, Unreal Tournament2, Doom3. Controls of Assassins Creed and games like Tomb Raider is why I never really got into those types of games. The tutorial, or lack thereof, leaves much to be desired.

Believe it or not I'm stuck where you're supposed to race your big brother to a rooftop destination. Yes, I'm still near the very start of the game and am already frustrated. He takes the route where he climbs the boxes and jumps on a pole while the best I've found is to climb the same boxes and start climbing the wall. By the time I've climbed to the rooftop and slow walk on the roof a little (can't find the option to run or fast walk on the rooftop), my big brother has already won the race.

Should I be taking another route? Any way for me to speed up my movement? Seems I am forced to walk or medium speed walk to the boxes on the ground, i.e. I can't seem to run or walk fast when I think I should be able to. And I can only climb walls at one speed. Any suggestions or cheats on how to beat your big brother? At this point I don't mind learning a cheat. Anything to get past these cutscenes of my restarting, leaving the environment after losing the race time and time again. Really bugging my eyes out.

SixKeys
01-07-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm on PC so I don't know what the default Mac setup is. You should be able to customize the controls in the main menu (under Options).

realthanny
01-08-2013, 06:36 AM
The controls for the AC franchise are definitely odd in comparison with other games. You should have four control indicators on screen showing what each does. Which key or button you have mapped to each will be in your options. What the controls do changes based first on whether you're in low profile or high profile mode. Then, they will change based on what you're doing. If you're moving in high profile mode, the bottom control will be "free run/sprint". If you're up against an object you can climb, it will be "jump".

So to climb a building, hold the button for high profile mode, run to the climbable object, and press the bottom control (which should say "jump"). While climbing, use the movement controls to navigate. Later in the game, you'll have occasion to jump upwards while climbing, but initially, trying to jump will only introduce you to the ground. While running across roof tops, holding the bottom control (which should be called "free run/sprint") will make you automatically vault over objects, jump gaps, etc.

Once you get into free roaming mode, you can practice. It becomes pretty natural after a while. Until you move to the next game, and they make subtle (or not-so-subtle) changes that throw you off.