PDA

View Full Version : Why do the fps drop from 60 to even 57 is very noticable in the recent games and AC3?

ExitT0ExisT
01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
This is more of a general topic but it also covers up the issue on AC3.

First of all: My pc is 16gb ram, i5 2400 and asus directCU II GTX 670 [I play games on HDTV with a x360 gamepad because i hate the sh*tty console graphics]

I noticed that at most of the recent games i played (AC3, Far Cry 3, Hitman: Absolution, NFS:Most Wanted and some others) When the frame rate drops below 60, even 57-58 it is extremely noticable. Also dropping down the graphic options doesn't help at these games.

Now at most of the other games, you wouldn't notice the fps that goes around 40-60, it would only be noticable when the frame rate drops to 30 (GTA 4 is a good example for this)

I really wonder about this problem as a gamer and also a game developer. I am developing a game called 'Ocean City Racing' on Unreal Engine 3 and thank god, it doesn't have this problem. Since my game is open world, the frame rate can drop down to 35-40 but there is no slowdown, no lag, you can't notice the dropdown if you don't look at it with fraps.

So what exactly causes AC3 and other games to have such a huge effect when the fps drops from 60 to 58. When the fps drops to 40, it feels like 15-20 fps

Tim_Skijwalker
01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
these games have trouble with micro-stuttering.
I Noticed these things as well.
smooth at 60 and everything below 60 kind of stutters

you could try and cap your frames at 50 maybe, I think that that might help you

ExitT0ExisT
01-06-2013, 05:06 PM

At AC3 i select 1080p 50hz, but the TV doesnt switch. When i played Revelations last year, i capped the frame rate to 50 because of fps drops , but it didnt do anything good back then (same sh*t, different year)

ExitT0ExisT
01-06-2013, 08:09 PM

I have looked up the term micro-stuttering. And i think it is something else. The issue with that is the screen becomes kind of like this
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/fallout-micro-stutter-348x196.jpg

But at what i'm talking about, a few frame drops are extremely noticable. At these games a drop from 60 to 45 feels like a drop from 60 to 25. For example the 25 fps you get at GTA 4 PC feels smoother then the 40 fps you get from AC3