PDA

View Full Version : Setting for next Assassin's Creed

joelincolnabe
01-04-2013, 05:35 AM
I just wanted to let people know my idea about a great setting for the next assassin's creed game. My idea is that it should be held in 19th century Japan. During this time there was a strong tension between the traditional Japanese values, customs and culture and new westernized ideas.
I'm no expert on exactly what was occuring during this part of history, but I think a setting like that is illustrated by the movie The Last Samurai would be amazing for the next assassin's creed game. Here are a few reasons why I think so.

1. Fresh new environment - Assassin's creed has seen many exotic places with dramatically different environments: Damascus, Jerusalem, Venice, Florence, Istanbul, Boston, New York, etc.
A setting in Japan would bring an exciting new palette of environments from pagodas to rice patties. Let your imagination do the rest

2. The Samurai (and Ninjas) - The classic assassin portrayed by this series is discrete, deadly and honorable. If someone were to ask me what other people could be characterized by these things, I would think about the Samurai and the Ninjas.
The average ninja flick is always packed with acrobatic action and martial arts. The Japanese Samurai and Altair's Assassin's are a perfect fit for each other

3. Historical significance and tension. Assassin's Creed 1 took place during the crusades; a historically significant and tense event in the history of the world. Assassin's Creed II, Bro-hood and Revelations took place during the enlightenment, a major turn in the way people thought and expressed their ideas both artistically and mechanically. Assassin's Creed III took place during the American Revolution; the well known (at least in America) conflict between colonists and British, but perhaps more importantly between the Native Americans and white settlers.
A setting in the 19th century Japan would be able to draw upon the tensions taking place between traditional Japan and a westernized Japan. This would allow for plenty of opportunities for the Assassins and Templars to stir up trouble, making for a great game.

4. Cultural diversity - it's not the main reason why Assassin's Creed games are great, but the exposure to historical cultures around the world adds to the success of this gaming franchise. Japanese culture is another interesting culture that would add to AC.

That is my idea. I would really like someone from Ubisoft to see this and say "gosh what a great idea"

Th3Aw3som3On31
01-04-2013, 05:41 AM
Its a good idea, but I don't want the AC series turning Assassins into Ninjas. I know they are similar, but I would like them to keep the traditional Assassin type (Sorry if it doesn't make clear sense, don't know how to put it any other way).

Great idea otherwise.

TangentialShark
01-04-2013, 07:17 AM
I'm almost certain that there will be 1 more Connor based AC game before Ubisoft commits to ACIV so a Japan setting is almost entirely out of the question.

TheJewlius
01-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Well. We have seen Asian assassins before in AC:Embers so it´s defenitely a possibility. However, I actually would prefer if they focused on the modern-day story in the next game and discarded much of the historical part. This isn´t becase I dislike the historical parts of AC (I love them). I just feel that we need to tie up the old storylines before we can start new ones.

With that said, I really hope they do like the Halo-franchise and makes a new series of games (i.e. Assassin´s Creed 4) that doesn´t have anything to do with the previous games and features a new protagonist going into the animus. For that game I feel the japanese setting to be perfect, especially if they were to gather inspiration from the books of James Clavell.

eagleforlife1
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I would actually really like a Japan/China setting or jut generally that part of Asia maybe Korea or Burma or Cambodia. Corey May said in an interview last year that he has already plotted out how to bring the franchise to Japan.

CC1138
01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
The Last Samurai really messed up with the general idea people have of this period (I'm not criticizing the film for its quality but its historical accuracy). An Assassin's Creed game can bring the truth and cast away every clichés and stereotypes!
Samurai are not like native Americans unlike how this film wanted to compare, they were not living in villages sticking to their swords, arrows (even before the arrival of Western countries, it wasn't considered a serious war weapon anymore) and their way of life, resisting an oppressing government. The Satsuma "Rebellion" on which the film is inspired was much of a civil war than a small conflict (in Japanese, it is named Seinan Sensou meaning the South-Western War), and both parties (the government and the former samurais) were fighting in modern warfare using guns. Besides, the Satsuma domain (who are the samurais who rebelled) were the most modernized and westernized troops during the conflict that occurred just before (the Boshin War) to overthrow the Shogun government.
This period is really interesting historically with lots of historical figures because, unlike the Sengoku period, it's not just about the war lords and there are many low-class samurais who shone like Sakamoto Ryoma, Saigo Takamori (the man who loosely served as a model for the main samurai in The Last Samurai), Hijikata Toshizou, Takasugi Shinsaku, Okubo Toshimichi...

RinoTheBouncer
01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I want Babylon. Let's "turn the dial back" before the times of Altair. Let's experience more of the Ancient Astronauts theory which the First Civilization theory is very close to and let's experience life in prehistoric times.

lothario-da-be
01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Everything before the late19th-20th century is good for me.

Locopells
01-04-2013, 03:19 PM
The Last Samurai really messed up with the general idea people have of this period (I'm not criticizing the film for its quality but its historical accuracy). An Assassin's Creed game can bring the truth and cast away every clichés and stereotypes!
Samurai are not like native Americans unlike how this film wanted to compare, they were not living in villages sticking to their swords, arrows (even before the arrival of Western countries, it wasn't considered a serious war weapon any more) and their way of life, resisting an oppressing government. The Satsuma "Rebellion" on which the film is inspired was much of a civil war than a small conflict (in Japanese, it is named Seinan Sensou meaning the South-Western War), and both parties (the government and the former samurais) were fighting in modern warfare using guns. Besides, the Satsuma domain (who are the samurais who rebelled) were the most modernized and westernised troops during the conflict that occurred just before (the Boshin War) to overthrow the Shogun government.
This period is really interesting historically with lots of historical figures because, unlike the Sengoku period, it's not just about the war lords and there are many low-class samurais who shone like Sakamoto Ryoma, Saigo Takamori (the man who loosely served as a model for the main samurai in The Last Samurai), Hijikata Toshizou, Takasugi Shinsaku, Okubo Toshimichi...

Yeah, I'd heard some of that before. It would be good for and AC game to do that as well, if they go to Japan or China, since it's a more common setting then they typicaly use, and they'd need a way to differentiate themselves from other similar games.

Jarek23
01-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Well. We have seen Asian assassins before in AC:Embers so it´s defenitely a possibility. However, I actually would prefer if they focused on the modern-day story in the next game and discarded much of the historical part. This isn´t becase I dislike the historical parts of AC (I love them). I just feel that we need to tie up the old storylines before we can start new ones.

With that said, I really hope they do like the Halo-franchise and makes a new series of games (i.e. Assassin´s Creed 4) that doesn´t have anything to do with the previous games and features a new protagonist going into the animus. For that game I feel the japanese setting to be perfect, especially if they were to gather inspiration from the books of James Clavell.

That wouldn't please the majority of fans so they won't do it. Modern day setting in an AC game would suck, machine guns, cars, no thanks, i'll play gta and it's clones. Regardless, I don't think a modern day setting needs to be used to tie up old story lines, I don't want to say any spoilers, but if you've seen the end to AC3, than in my opinion it gives more reason to go even further back in time, closer to the first civ. With the modern day protagonist going into the animus of course.

Also to the OP, I would like to see japan or china more than any other setting.