PDA

View Full Version : Returning game to store

jherger
01-03-2013, 10:31 PM
For though of us who do not have our consoles hooked to the internet we can not update the game with patches pushed to fix crashing problems.

How you could let producers release a game with bugs like this is beyond consumer rip off.

Is there any way we can receive a copy of the game with the fixes? Otherwise we have spent money on a product that does not work and needs to be reported to the better business bureau.

Sushiglutton
01-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Isn't this a problem often for you? I mean most games receive some kind of patch (even though AC3 was more broken than the average game I suppose). It's not possible to temporarily use the internet connection from your PC (hook the console up to your router and monitor)? Or perhaps bring your console to a friend?

GoldyTart
01-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Do you have an Xbox 360. If you do, you could download the patches onto a Xbox 360-formatted usb stick with Horizon Xbox software. You do need internet on the PC side and a compatible USB stick with atleast 1 gb i think. You will also need the disk to make sure you get the right patches as there are different region based patches based on the same game.

Assassin_M
01-03-2013, 11:20 PM
If you have internet on your computer....Why not have on your console as well ??

I also fail to see how this is AC III exclusive

montagemik
01-03-2013, 11:29 PM
For though of us who do not have our consoles hooked to the internet we can not update the game with patches pushed to fix crashing problems.

How you could let producers release a game with bugs like this is beyond consumer rip off.

Is there any way we can receive a copy of the game with the fixes? Otherwise we have spent money on a product that does not work and needs to be reported to the better business bureau.

Are you going to return the console too for the same reason ?

As stated most games & even the console itself receives a patch at some point , so connect it to your internet cable or wifi you use for your PC & update it.

The days of 100% offline only consoles & games ended with the last generation of consoles. . Welcome to the 21st century. :nonchalance:

jherger
01-04-2013, 12:49 AM
I dont play games that require the internet. My internet connection at home is too slow to download this patch it would take weeks to do so. Sorry.

I'm not going to run my console over to a persons house to download something as this is just bad business all around.
Send the game out that does not have crash bugs so people can play. If the game has simple bugs that stop a quest or something a person can still play it. Gating bugs should never be released to the public when a game launches.

Ive been playing the assassins creed games without multilayer and just playing through the storyline. I mostly play RPG games or single games that do not require the internet.
If this is the case for assassins creed 3 they should state on the box that you will need the internet to download the patches or else you will not be able to play the game when you purchase it. Not doing so is false advertizing and still something that needs to be reported to the better business bureau to alert people of this problem before they purchase this product.

Rob327
01-04-2013, 01:56 AM
I think he brings up a pretty fair point, and as others are saying it's not exclusive to this game. I mean i'm enjoying it, and got the updates, but i myself am really not crazy about "multiplayer" (on any game) and don't play it the way i used to. The cost of Broadband is just getting crazy and i myself may go down to dial up. It just for me doesn't make sense to continue it.

I can't see how it passes the "smell test" that a Gaming Company of any kind could put a game on the Market that is in essence is "broken", and in order to fix their broken product, one needs internet access (at extra cost to them) to a console that does not mandate they have it.

The product from the beginning should not be defective, and it should not have to be the Consumer to have to "spend more" to rectify the problem the Game Producer itself sold to consumers. I hate to sound like a Lawyer here, but the fact is, it even goes the other way. Sometimes the Patch RUINS the game. It just seems unfair. Come out with a product that's not broken. Sounds like common sense to me.

ctdmz
01-04-2013, 02:03 AM
This game comes with a very limited warranty (sold "as is"). In the sales world, this is akin to a manufacturer saying, "I do not stand by the quality of my product at all. Buy at your own risk." So you can ask nicely for the store to take it back, but it's unlikely you can force them to.

kite9000
01-04-2013, 01:06 PM
The last patch I downloaded for Battlefield 3 was in excess of 2GB, and that was after the game had been out for a year and I didn't buy into there season pass thing.
By the way BF3 MP was and is still far more broken, and had a very lame single player to boot, then AC3 ever was.

Any software these days has patches, be it games or office software, be it commercial, shareware or freeware. I don't play that much online either but even so one still needs to patch the console itself at times. Will you be bringing that back as well? When PSN went down in 2011 I noticed it, and not only did I download the patches but also the free A line titles that Sony offered because of it.
Would you have complained about not being able to get those either and how it was the fault of Sony because you couldn't or didn't want to hook up your system to the internet?

Diablo 3 is a single player PC game that needs to be connected to the net constantly if you want it play it at all. Now that is overkill, that is silly. And they didn't hide it but didn't exactly made it crystal clear either. Complaining about something like that I could fully understand.
Complaining that you can't get the patches because you don't hook up your console is putting the horse behind the cart. What's next, you don't get a refund for the things you didn't buy, your car's petrol tank doesn't get filled without you taking it to a petrol station. How dare they sell a car that needs to be re-filled !!!

*sheesh*

RinoTheBouncer
01-04-2013, 03:45 PM
I think you can even create a 3G network from your phone, connect to it from the PS3 and download. Problem solved. Or take it to a friend's house as others suggested. It's better than not playing the game at all.

citrusfresh
01-04-2013, 04:21 PM
I don't know why any of you are trying to make points that jherger is in the wrong and/or stupid...
The fact is not everyone has internet even in the modern day, some areas are difficult to get to and are barely touched by civilisation, So either because of this or maybe even other reasons it's the persons fault that Ubigreed released a broken product to the public? A game so broken it had to have an enormous day 1 patch ( again because they knew it was broken) and it's STILL riddled with game breaking bugs.

I've never heard anything so ridiculous as to try and blame the paying customer for not having internet in order to make their product work that is seriously low iq thinking. Ubisoft love people that think this way because they will never be held accountable for knowingly selling broken products to the public thus ripping them off.

Track record: AC Brotherhood AC Revelations AC3. All broken and yours at a tidy price! and don't forget to play online (Ubisoft Online is an Oxymoron) you need a Uplay Passport and you better pay pay pay for another aspect of the game that doesn't work!!

kite9000
"When PSN went down in 2011 I noticed it, and not only did I download the patches but also the free A line titles that Sony offered because of it.
Would you have complained about not being able to get those either and how it was the fault of Sony because you couldn't or didn't want to hook up your system to the internet?"

This makes no sense in the current situation, Sony offered those free downloads to people who've been disrupted by the mass outage nobody was charge $60 by Sony for a broken game they couldn't play. Also, if they didn't have internet in the first place they wouldn't have been affected by the 2 month outage would they?

*Massive Face Palm*

Avagantamoz
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
This is pathetic. If you don't or can't have internet, fine. Nothing wrong with that, but you cant blame Ubisoft because you can't receive updates. This is a YOU problem. If you can't afford internet or can't obtain it for some other reason then don't complain about it and blame Ubisoft. Every game as massive as Assassins Creed 3 is going to be riddled with bug and glitches. You should have known this before you bought the game. Personally, I would just deal with the bugs if I didn't have the ability to download the updates because this is a great game.

TheSpong
01-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Every game as massive as Assassins Creed 3 is going to be riddled with bug and glitches. You should have known this before you bought the game.

Yeah, just like consumers of every other product or service should never expect to actually get what is advertised and what they pay for. Frankly, comments like yours are what allow devs to take this half-hearted, lazy and shoddy attitude towards games publishing in the first place. It's because of people like you that they can push out broken software in the first place because you think it's all part & parcel. Would you say the same to a surgeon performing an operation on you? Would you expect him to probably mess something up along the way, because it's so complicated, but you'd be fine about it?

montagemik
01-04-2013, 06:39 PM
I think he brings up a pretty fair point, and as others are saying it's not exclusive to this game. I mean i'm enjoying it, and got the updates, but i myself am really not crazy about "multiplayer" (on any game) and don't play it the way i used to. The cost of Broadband is just getting crazy and i myself may go down to dial up. It just for me doesn't make sense to continue it.

I can't see how it passes the "smell test" that a Gaming Company of any kind could put a game on the Market that is in essence is "broken", and in order to fix their broken product, one needs internet access (at extra cost to them) to a console that does not mandate they have it.

The product from the beginning should not be defective, and it should not have to be the Consumer to have to "spend more" to rectify the problem the Game Producer itself sold to consumers. I hate to sound like a Lawyer here, but the fact is, it even goes the other way. Sometimes the Patch RUINS the game. It just seems unfair. Come out with a product that's not broken. Sounds like common sense to me.

I think he makes an invalid point - As i stated THE CONSOLES THEMSELVES NEED UPDATES from time to time . updates & future proofing is one of the things the consoles online functionality is implemented for.
So buying a 200 / $3-400 console without bothering to find this ( well known point) out is kind of a dumb move.

How old are these consoles now ? ..........How long have they been receiving updates to keep up with current tech ?

Get with the times , or buy a simpler format. & as he obviously has a PC the arguement is completely void - He has online , SO USE IT.

If he has zero internet at all - then take his game with receipt back to the shop the instant he finds these gamebreaking bugs . That's his legal rite.

Assassin_M
01-04-2013, 06:40 PM
I don't know why any of you are trying to make points that jherger is in the wrong and/or stupid...
The fact is not everyone has internet even in the modern day, some areas are difficult to get to and are barely touched by civilisation,
But he clearly HAS internet..

ACfan443
01-04-2013, 06:47 PM
This is pathetic. If you don't or can't have internet, fine. Nothing wrong with that, but you cant blame Ubisoft because you can't receive updates.

He didn't blame Ubisoft for not being able to recieve updates, he blamed them for the buggy game, which he's completely entitled to do so.
Also, Internet speed is something he probably can't control, speed varies in different areas, and there's very little you can do to change it.

zzmorg82
01-04-2013, 06:54 PM
The fact is not everyone has internet even in the modern day, some areas are difficult to get to and are barely touched by civilisation,

Spot on, It would be better if game companies allowed patches to be downloaded through a PC, then transferred via USB. But OP: Nowadays, game companies release games a little too early imo, which is why we have so many bugs. If they waited to perfect their game, everything would be better and less buggy.

Will_Lucky
01-04-2013, 06:59 PM
But he clearly HAS internet..

There is a difference between Internet for gaming and that not for gaming. If he can download something at say 1b/s he won't be downloading that patch in a reasonable time limit. Considering the state of the game at launch I think his arguments have merit.

Assassin_M
01-04-2013, 07:01 PM
There is a difference between Internet for gaming and that not for gaming. If he can download something at say 1b/s he won't be downloading that patch in a reasonable time limit. Considering the state of the game at launch I think his arguments have merit.
I was not talking about that. The user I quoted is saying that maybe he`s living off the grid and thus can`t get internet, but that`s obviously false, because here he is....

UrDeviant1
01-04-2013, 08:44 PM
It does kinda suck for you. Until you are able to get better internet you might have to put up with it, and i don't know how likely it is that devs can release games without any bugs, because i don't know how complicated that stuff is.

And i noticed you said that you play rpg's? did you also take Fallout3/NV and Skyrim back to the store?

Grandmaster_Z
01-04-2013, 08:49 PM
return your xbox360 also.

Avagantamoz
01-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Yeah, just like consumers of every other product or service should never expect to actually get what is advertised and what they pay for. Frankly, comments like yours are what allow devs to take this half-hearted, lazy and shoddy attitude towards games publishing in the first place. It's because of people like you that they can push out broken software in the first place because you think it's all part & parcel. Would you say the same to a surgeon performing an operation on you? Would you expect him to probably mess something up along the way, because it's so complicated, but you'd be fine about it?Comparing surgery to video games? You're dumb. If you expect a game to be perfect and bug-free when you buy it, especially something this large and new, you're stupid. Developers arn't perfect, they can't make a game come out exactly how you want it and they are not to blame if somebody refuses to download the fixes. You make it seem like I want the developers to put out games loaded with bugs. I hate bugs just as much as the next person but I am sensible and I know the people at Ubisoft can't foresee EVERY little thing and fix it before launch. They fix what they can after the game launches because they don't have millions of people to play the game pre-launch to find out where the bugs are, if this guy doesn't want to download them then that's on him.

Rob327
01-04-2013, 11:23 PM
I think he makes an invalid point - As i stated THE CONSOLES THEMSELVES NEED UPDATES from time to time . updates & future proofing is one of the things the consoles online functionality is implemented for.
So buying a 200 / $3-400 console without bothering to find this ( well known point) out is kind of a dumb move.

How old are these consoles now ? ..........How long have they been receiving updates to keep up with current tech ?

Get with the times , or buy a simpler format. & as he obviously has a PC the arguement is completely void - He has online , SO USE IT.

If he has zero internet at all - then take his game with receipt back to the shop the instant he finds these gamebreaking bugs . That's his legal rite.

I understand your point, but the fact is there is no disclosure on Xbox (the packaging) or by Xbox, that Internet Connection is needed to use their product, and if software is put out for use on their product, i would think it has to be free of defects without needing an internet connection, and that goes for the console as well.

There are updates by Xbox to have more access to extra online content, or to fix live features, or to make the experience better, but not any "hardware" fixes, for another words a defective product.
If the product is deemed defective, a refund is given.

I'm looking on the packaging of this game, and there is no disclosure at least on the outside, stating that if the game is defective, it's up to you to have Online Broadband to rectify that problem. It mentions "storage issues", and in fact they also mention that "Xbox Live" is not available in some countries. Therefore, you can be from a Country, internet or not, that does not have means to fix a broken product. Now again, i'm not at ALL just picking on Ubisoft. It's all companies that depend on "updates" to fix flaws.

Now when i talk about "defect", that means the overall purpose of the product is flawed. Which is to say, there may be bugs or glitches, but if your Xbox "freezes" every time you hit a checkpoint, having to restart the game (and possibly damage your hardware), or you "shoot the enemy" and they just don't die, and the only way to rectify the issue is to pay for Internet Access, i think that may be a problem. I'm not saying that's the case here, but for some it may be.

It's like if you buy a car, and only runs half the time, and the responsibility becomes yours to have to purchase a very costly part that was never disclosed you had to purchase to make it work the way it should (meaning getting from point A to point B without breaking down). It's not a matter of "getting with the times", it's a matter of getting what you payed for, and until they go to say "next generation consoles" where Internet may be exclusively needed, at this time it is not.

Assassin_M
01-04-2013, 11:30 PM
I`d like to apologize to the OP for a mistake in one of my posts regarding him having Internet...

Forgive me, I did not know..

montagemik
01-04-2013, 11:57 PM
I stand by all my points i made - it's the 21st century - the days of 100% OFFLINE games & consoles is the last generation of consoles , not this one .

The OP says he moved down to dial up due to Broadband prices - So that was his choice (whatever his reasons) & it's been common knowledge for YEARS consoles & console games require updates to maintain functionality.
Even games that don't have online multiplay require this & likely always will .

So basically keep up with the current tech or downgrade to the older systems .
Online updates are part of the current generation (for the last 5 years or so) So he's hardly been RIPPED OFF.
He just doesn't have what's needed to fully use this generation of videogames.

though he doesn't say When he bought the game or which format he has .

BTW , I completed AC-3 100% sync before 1.02 / 1.03 patches were released - So while buggy - it's hardly unplayable . & with Sales Receipt & refund / exchange his his legal rite within days of purchase if unplayable for ANY reason.

Soulid_Snake
01-05-2013, 12:25 AM

Sadly, it was a business decision. I was really excited about Watch_Dogs (Ubisoft Montreal), gonna wait for feedback first, before considering to buy it!

Will_Lucky
01-05-2013, 01:18 AM
I was not talking about that. The user I quoted is saying that maybe he`s living off the grid and thus can`t get internet, but that`s obviously false, because here he is....

And he could be on Mobile or Satellite internet not fit for patching the game and is unable to actually upgrade it. Or he could be posting from say a public library that gets it but the residential areas themselves cannot get.

Assassin_M
01-05-2013, 01:40 AM
And he could be on Mobile or Satellite internet not fit for patching the game and is unable to actually upgrade it. Or he could be posting from say a public library that gets it but the residential areas themselves cannot get.
I apologized....see above

Rob327
01-05-2013, 02:44 AM
[QUOTE=montagemik;8849884]I stand by all my points i made - it's the 21st century - the days of 100% OFFLINE games & consoles is the last generation of consoles , not this one .

The OP says he moved down to dial up due to Broadband prices - So that was his choice (whatever his reasons) & it's been common knowledge for YEARS consoles & console games require updates to maintain functionality.

Online updates are part of the current generation (for the last 5 years or so) So he's hardly been RIPPED OFF.

BTW , I completed AC-3 100% sync before 1.02 / 1.03 patches were released - So while buggy - it's hardly unplayable . & with Sales Receipt & refund / exchange his his legal rite within days of purchase if unplayable for ANY reason.[/QUOTE

I'm sorry you man i think you may be confused (or maybe i am). The OP never said he moved to Dial Up due to Broadband prices. I (who's not the OP) said i was considering doing so. I do have it now. I was saying he was bringing up a fair point and you disagreed. That's fine. I think you may also be confused that current generation consoles does NOT require internet connection. It just does not. FUTURE consoles may, but not current ones, and so there would be no need to go to last generation consoles if you don't play games Online.

I've said in my remarks, even if you do "get with the times" and live in a country that don't have Xbox Live you're still up a creek internet or not, so what do you do then? I just don't feel it's right. Bugs are understandable, but if your game is freezing your xbox every time you hit a checkpoint (which happened to me with Skyrim before updates), and they're gonna tell you the game is unplayable unless you have Broadband, i'm sorry, i don't know how'd i react to that.

You wouldn't bring it back to the store (unless they'll take it), you would probably have to reach out to the Game Company, and if no remedy a higher authority. You can't sell a defective product, and expect a windfall of more responsibility and price on the consumer due to the error of the Company. Now again, a "glitch" or some bugs does not mean the game is unplayable. The example i cite would be. So in that regard i think the OP may be out of luck, but a good point and decent Thread nonetheless. Anyway i love this game hahaha.

Will_Lucky
01-05-2013, 04:10 AM
I apologized....see above

Heh sorry, slightly drunk. Didn't read new posts when I had posted that.

Assassin_M
01-05-2013, 04:26 AM
Heh sorry, slightly drunk. Didn't read new posts when I had posted that.
Not a problem...

Get sober soon xD

Gi1t
01-05-2013, 05:52 AM
I stand by all my points i made - it's the 21st century - the days of 100% OFFLINE games & consoles is the last generation of consoles , not this one .

BTW , I completed AC-3 100% sync before 1.02 / 1.03 patches were released - So while buggy - it's hardly unplayable . & with Sales Receipt & refund / exchange his his legal rite within days of purchase if unplayable for ANY reason.

I disagree. The day when anyone with a console has the ability to connect to the internet as well is probably not that far away, but it is not here yet. The current generation is one in which all games pretty much have some online features, but they are still designed to function offline as well and are still sold under that pretense. People should be able to play the offline components of a game without ever connecting to the internet.

I play on a 360 and never go online. All of the games I own have performed as they should have. I have had very little trouble with glitches. I have not been hampered by the age of my console or by the lack of online functionality. Updates remain a perk of the gaming experience, not a necessity. A game might be improved by updates, but the initial release of a console game is not meant as a testing ground to detemine what patches are necessary, the way some PC games are. These are final products being released, not beta programs.

Like I said, it is likely that the next generation of consoles will be able to connect to the internet easily enough that all the player needs is the console itself and a decent, widely available signal to use basic online functionality. When that happens, it will be more acceptable to have standard features that require a connection. But some developers seem to have their heads enveloped in clouds when it comes to online gameplay. They've jumped the gun too early and are designing their software based on the assumed availability of online connections. Even more idiotic is the number of games that have a multiplayer feature that cannot function online simply because the developers were too lazy to toss in the local option. Thus we have the pathetic reality that one can play with someone in another country, but not the person sitting next to them. It's like they've forgotten that the physical world exists, THAT'S how far up in the clouds they are about this.

Now, about glitches. It seems all I see is when someone complains about excessive bugginess, someone always responds with the generic 'all games have glitches, suck it up!' But remember what I said earlier? I have had very little trouble with glitches, myself. I have many games that are reported to have game breaking bugs in them, but fortunately, I have not experienced these. That's important! I am NOT experiencing these same problems despite having the same games on the same consoles? What does that mean?

It means that glitches vary from copy to copy, console to console, person to person. If your game is experiencing a tolerable level of bugginess, that means NOTHING when it comes to other people and the problems they experience. It only means that you were more fortunate. In my experience, it is possible to play a game like AC or Skyrim and play for at least a few hours (often more), without running into any glitches that stop you from proceeding further or force you to turn off the console to restore functionality. If a game has bugs that stop the game either by sequence breaking or freezing and they happen almost every time you play for more than a couple of hours, I would call that a broken game. A game may function well enough to be tolerable, but this is a competetive market. If other games function a lot better, they're more deserving of the player's money. Large, open games are expected to have more bugs, but even among them, there's a standard to compete with. If you're well below that standard, you can't expect to be held in the same league.

xx-pyro
01-05-2013, 07:37 AM

Unfortunately the norm now mandates having internet connection. Is it better that way? Probably not. But I definitely didn't find AC3 unplayable I played through it encountering no major bugs.

Rob327
01-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Well as far as THIS game at least for me i think you're right. I mean before ANY updates, people were mentioning bugs and glitches and at least for me i didn't notice any (offline). I think the game is very well made, so i disagree with OP on that (although we have different experiences).

It's a shame we're talking about this topic as far as THIS game, when really my points were made really in regards to other games. Look if the "new norm" is that a Broadband Connection is needed for Xbox 360, then they have to put a nice fat red circle on the console box stating "Internet Connection Required", and same goes for the games itself.

They do disclose in nice small letters on the back that you need an internet connection to play online, or for extra features in the game, but NO mention that the product may be defective, and internet is needed to rectify that defection.THAT'S where the problem is. Until all that happens, the "norm" is, you don't Internet to play Xbox. NEXT generation you may, but not now.

dewgel
01-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Just so you know, publishers aren't obliged to put out patches. They do so to keep fans happy and to please them for future games.

This is the norm nowadays. Live with it. You'll get laughed at taking the game back.

The game does not game breaking glitches or anything. You can put the disc in, you can play it start to finish and enjoy it. Yes, you'll get a bit of a framerate drop in certain places, which is very rare. Yes, you might not be able to do a certain Homestead mission.

The game is not broken to the point where it's unplayable. I've only ever had one game which I've had which is unplayable, and that was Skyrim on the PS3. The game crashed every 20 minutes and used to freeze and unfreeze randomly. AC3 is perfectly fine.

Gi1t
01-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Just so you know, publishers aren't obliged to put out patches. They do so to keep fans happy and to please them for future games.

This is the norm nowadays. Live with it. You'll get laughed at taking the game back.

The game does not game breaking glitches or anything. You can put the disc in, you can play it start to finish and enjoy it. Yes, you'll get a bit of a framerate drop in certain places, which is very rare. Yes, you might not be able to do a certain Homestead mission.

The game is not broken to the point where it's unplayable. I've only ever had one game which I've had which is unplayable, and that was Skyrim on the PS3. The game crashed every 20 minutes and used to freeze and unfreeze randomly. AC3 is perfectly fine.

I already posted a response to this sentiment:

Now, about glitches. It seems all I see is when someone complains about excessive bugginess, someone always responds with the generic 'all games have glitches, suck it up!' I have had very little trouble with glitches, myself. I have many games that are reported to have game breaking bugs in them, but fortunately, I have not experienced these. That's important! I am NOT experiencing these same problems despite having the same games on the same consoles. What does that mean?

It means that glitches vary from copy to copy, console to console, person to person. If your game is experiencing a tolerable level of bugginess, that means NOTHING when it comes to other people and the problems they experience. It only means that you were more fortunate. In my experience, it is possible to play a game like AC or Skyrim and play for at least a few hours (often more), without running into any glitches that stop you from proceeding further or force you to turn off the console to restore functionality. If a game has bugs that stop the game either by sequence breaking or freezing and they happen almost every time you play for more than a couple of hours, I would call that a broken game. A game may function well enough to be tolerable, but this is a competetive market. If other games function a lot better, they're more deserving of the player's money. Large, open games are expected to have more bugs, but even among them, there's a standard to compete with. If you're well below that standard, you can't expect to be held in the same league.

Seriously, when are people going to wake up and realize that just because YOU'RE not experiencing game breaking glitches doesn't mean that nobody is?

Rob327
01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Yep great points Gi1t. I think we're on the same page. I think this game for me went very well, but you mentioned "Skyrim" as i did earlier, and i had a BIG problem with that game. The game would just freeze my Xbox roughly every 10 minutes. I contacted Bethesda who were aware of the issue. The put out a Patch, and the game became one of my favorite games. However, if i didn't have Broadband, the game would be totally defective, and unplayable.

You know these gaming companies can be understandable and not necessarily "laugh in your face". I had a problem with an EA Sports games some years ago, where i wasn't able to get the "sports ticker" at the bottom of the screen. Minor problem, but i contacted EA, we did some tests, they didn't work, but nonetheless sent me a Coupon for 40 bucks. So, i had my game with no sports ticker, and put that 40 towards different game.

They'll listen, and they'll give a Refund if you bring up a pretty good argument. I think that they may feel that because many people (even most) ARE connected, whatever "losses" they would accrue due to people not being connected may be little in cost and effort.

ACfan443
01-05-2013, 09:37 PM

The complete and utter crap I had to put up with that game made me cry, it was like trying to solve a Rubik's cube while blindfolded. I really don't get why people compare AC3's bugs with Skyrim's, they're in completely different leagues.

kite9000
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Should game come bug free. Of course.
Should the gaming industry do it utmost to ensure that the game they are asking top dollar for is the best that it can be. Of course.
Should they be told of when it isn't. Of course.

However, between the time that the game gets deemed worthy for release and the actual release could it happen that they notice certain flaws, bugs, glitches and what not? And if so, is it then not better that they bring out a patch to fix it all as soon as they can manage it?

As said before, compare AC3's track record with for instance BF3. The latter was broken on day one for PS3 because there was no way to communicate while playing it online. It wasn't fixed for several months. Even so, the result is that even today you can play a game of it where most of the time you can't hear any sounds. This for a game that boasts that it has great sound and is the best for playing as a team.

I was already on sequence 9 or 10 before 1.02 came out for AC3. Did I notice glitches and dropped frame rates, yes. However nothing that made the game unplayable.
You might not like the game, I too prefered the Ezio (yeah, I spelled it wrongly originally, sue me) games and story. But alas most of the time games don't keep improving but instead are dumbed down.
For those among us that played Myst, remember how intelligent and intricate Myst I and II (Riven) were and how it went to hell in a hand basket every following version?

Stating that the game is repetitive, just like Skyrim etc.., doesn't help your cause either. All games are repetitive. GTA is running around, jacking cars,getting weapons and killing people. Infamous is running around, climbing buildings and killing people. FarCry is running around, finding weapons and killing people. The point being is how they present it, how is the story line, what level of freedom do you have to get things done. And yes, the level of freedom to do things has been greatly reduced in AC3 compared to earlier versions. This however doesn''t make it unplayable but less likeable to those of us that preferred the freedom.

Having said all that, you might see why I have a problem with anyone complaining that to have a better game one has to download a patch.
Making a game and releasing it in broken condition isn't something anyone should condone.
But worse is doing that and then not fixing it at all.
Yes if you buy a car you should be able to drive it of the lot without first getting it fixed.
And yes, having it recalled is no fun either and shouldn't have to happen. But would you rather have it being fixed afterward or not at all?
The solution, in general, is not buying something brand spanking new. Wait a few months, half a year, and any teething problems should be taken care of.
You'll buy it not only with the patches already in place, chances are you'll pay less for more even, wait a year and you'll find a version with all DLC's included on top of it.

I too find it a sad state of affairs if you see any business clearly abusing it's customer base and selling them sub-par merchandise willy-nilly.
I too find it sad that programmers these days seem to be paid for every line of code instead of how good and elegant the code is.
But there's a difference to finding a bug of a Deer being stuck in a tree and finding it unplayable and wanting a refund not because they don't fix it but because you can't or unable to get the patch.

PS: I bought Skyrim the day it came out. I played it exclusively until I had 98% (could get the last two percent because I messed up 1 Daedric quest). I didn't have any problem what so ever. Does that mean that those that have suffered problems are wrong? NO, not at all. I can sympathize and understand their frustration and even anger. But they also need to understand that not everyone shares their experience. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Gi1t
01-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Should game come bug free. Of course.
Should the gaming industry do it utmost to ensure that the game they are asking top dollar for is the best that it can be. Of course.
Should they be told of when it isn't. Of course.

However, between the time that the game gets deemed worthy for release and the actual release could it happen that they notice certain flaws, bugs, glitches and what not? And if so, is it then not better that they bring out a patch to fix it all as soon as they can manage it?

As said before, compare AC3's track record with for instance BF3. The latter was broken on day one for PS3 because there was no way to communicate while playing it online. It wasn't fixed for several months. Even so, the result is that even today you can play a game of it where most of the time you can't hear any sounds. This for a game that boasts that it has great sound and is the best for playing as a team.

I was already on sequence 9 or 10 before 1.02 came out for AC3. Did I notice glitches and dropped frame rates, yes. However nothing that made the game unplayable.
You might not like the game, I too prefered the Enzio games and story. But alas most of the time games don't keep improving but instead are dumbed down.
For those among us that played Myst, remember how intelligent and intricate Myst I and II (Riven) were and how it went to hell in a hand basket every following version?

Stating that the game is repetitive, just like Skyrim etc.., doesn't help your cause either. All games are repetitive. GTA is running around, jacking cars,getting weapons and killing people. Infamous is running around, climbing buildings and killing people. FarCry is running around, finding weapons and killing people. The point being is how they present it, how is the story line, what level of freedom do you have to get things done. And yes, the level of freedom to do things has been greatly reduced in AC3 compared to earlier versions. This however doesn''t make it unplayable but less likeable to those of us that preferred the freedom.

Having said all that, you might see why I have a problem with anyone complaining that to have a better game one has to download a patch.
Making a game and releasing it in broken conditition isn't something anyone should condone.
But worse is doing that and then not fixing it at all.
Yes if you buy a car you should be able to drive it of the lot without first getting it fixed.
And yes, having it recalled is no fun either and shouldn't have to happen. But would you rather have it being fixed afterward or not at all?
The solution, in general, is not buying something brand spanking new. Wait a few months, half a year, and any teething problems should be taken care of.
You'll buy it not only with the patches already in place, chances are you'll pay less for more even, wait a year and you'll find a version with all DLC's included on top of it.

I too find it a sad state of affairs if you see any business clearly abusing it's customer base and selling them sub-par merchandise willy-nilly.
I too find it sad that programmers these days seem to be paid for every line of code instead of how good and elegant the code is.
But there's a difference to finding a bug of a Deer being stuck in a tree and finding it unplayable and wanting a refund not because they don't fix it but because you can't or unable to get the patch.

PS: I bought Skyrim the day it came out. I played it exclusively until I had 98% (could get the last two precent because I messed up 1 Daedric quest). I didn't have any problem what so ever. Does that mean that those that have suffered problems are wrong? NO, not at all. I can sympathize and understand their frustration and even anger. But they also need to understand that not everyone shares their experience. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

In this case, it's probably better to read the responses to this thread before commenting. There are responses in this thread relevant to what you said already. :)

Assassin_M
01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Enzio
After 5 Years.....in 2013 and this still happens. :|

jherger
01-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Returned the game with no issues.
The store was aware of people complaining about the crash bugs and already ready to give credit toward another game.

They gave me credit toward a game ive been waiting for Nino Kuni.

ACfan443
01-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Returned the game with no issues.
The store was aware of people complaining about the crash bugs and already ready to give credit toward another game.

They gave me credit toward a game ive been waiting for Nino Kuni.

...and they all lived happily ever after.

pacmanate
01-07-2013, 10:17 PM
After 5 Years.....in 2013 and this still happens. :|
?
I hate it when people spell characters names wrong. Especially Ezio's. I mean ENZIO? What the **** is wrong with people? Might as well call Altair something like Bobby.

Assassin_M
01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
?
I hate it when people spell characters names wrong. Especially Ezio's. I mean ENZIO? What the **** is wrong with people? Might as well call Altair something like Bobby.
Yeah...12 sequences of hearing... EZIO.....even when Desmond says it wrong....he says Itsio...not ENZIO

montagemik
01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Buys a game with online features -
Doesn't think ONLINE connection should be needed or expect the game may require some kind of update at any point - IN 2013 . Smart move obviously.

jherger
01-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Montagemik

You may defend your game but in response ,producers should not push a game if it has gating bugs at all , just so they can get there bonus at launch date.

I played assassins creed 1 and 3 fine without online features. Its not needed to play through the storyline

It is needed for 3 because they let the producers push crash bugs instead of delaying the release 1 month to fix them. Then you need the patch.

For people that just want to play through the storyline that is the issue. Online is not required for this game it never has been. Online is a plus for any game but not something you have to have unless your playing an MMO.

montagemik
01-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Montagemik

You may defend your game but in response ,producers should not push a game if it has gating bugs at all , just so they can get there bonus at launch date.

I played assassins creed 1 and 3 fine without online features. Its not needed to play through the storyline

It is needed for 3 because they let the producers push crash bugs instead of delaying the release 1 month to fix them. Then you need the patch.

For people that just want to play through the storyline that is the issue. Online is not required for this game it never has been. Online is a plus for any game but not something you have to have unless your playing an MMO.

Maybe you should travel back to 1990 - It seems better suited to your gaming requirements. I've NO sympathy for this issue whatsoever . :rolleyes: If you're not happy with how a game works - take it back instantly - don't keep it for days or weeks expecting the industry to change to suit you. .

Can i ask which system / console your playing on ??

Gi1t
01-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Montagemik

Exactly, this is a competetive market. How it stacks up against other games matters.

jherger
01-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Monta>

It was a Christmas present.

Platform . PS3

Here is a list of the gating bugs that they sold the game with. Some of these make the game unplayable.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/384156/major-assassins-creed-3-patch-detailed/

dewgel
01-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Monta>

It was a Christmas present.

Platform . PS3

Here is a list of the gating bugs that they sold the game with. Some of these make the game unplayable.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/384156/major-assassins-creed-3-patch-detailed/

They're all over reacted mate. Get a grip and get a working internet connection. We're living in a digital age.

Also, that list of bugs is the wrong way to look at it. That's the total list of FIXES, not bugs. And besides, those bugs were a collection of ones found by thousands upon thousands of users, not just one user. Each game differs, systems differ.

I'm telling you : I, and many other people, have played the game 100% with minor bugs (occasional graphics popping SLIGHT framerate dropping)

I have never had a game breaking bug, and I've put almost 100 hours into the game. I have hammered it to hell, my PS3 fan is going crazy on it. I also got the game on PC, and I have found the exact same experience.

Stop over-reacting, stop trying to find bugs. Play the game, enjoy it, if not then just trade it in.

Gi1t
01-09-2013, 02:25 AM
They're all over reacted mate. Get a grip and get a working internet connection. We're living in a digital age.

Also, that list of bugs is the wrong way to look at it. That's the total list of FIXES, not bugs. And besides, those bugs were a collection of ones found by thousands upon thousands of users, not just one user. Each game differs, systems differ.

I'm telling you : I, and many other people, have played the game 100% with minor bugs (occasional graphics popping SLIGHT framerate dropping)

I have never had a game breaking bug, and I've put almost 100 hours into the game. I have hammered it to hell, my PS3 fan is going crazy on it. I also got the game on PC, and I have found the exact same experience.

Stop over-reacting, stop trying to find bugs. Play the game, enjoy it, if not then just trade it in.

No offense, but you haven't read any responses to what you said in your last post have you? Not only have there been responses the point you're making here, (because you said it before), but the poster also stated in an earlier post that he had already returned the game with no problems.

If anything, it's probably time to close this thread. :)

jherger
01-10-2013, 03:13 AM
In response to trolls on this thread yelling at me to get better internet. This does ont solve the orginal problem with the percentage of consumers located outside of the rual areas that do not have dsl or cable lines.

This thread was created so I could find out how I could get my money back on a product that was broken.

There is still a majority of people that live in rural areas that do not support dsl and cable lines yet, For us downloading that huge patch can be next to impossible.
The game is not an MMO and never has been so internet is not required to play it.

They fact is they sold a game that was broken to everyone. The percentage of us with hughes net or slower internet services can not download something like that due to were we live.

You would not sell a car to a person without an engine, then a month later come back with the engine and say Oh wait you might need this.

To remedy this problem they should have the patch available on the website so you can download it at the library or a place with better internet , put it on a usb stick and plug it into your ps3.

Or.... have you supply the receipt via mail and they send you back a CD or usb drive with the patch on it for your game platform.

Krayus Korianis
01-10-2013, 07:42 AM
return your xbox360 also.
And their PS3 as well!

I have found the OP to be a troll.

Also, the patch is 9 MB... You can download that quickly with Hughes Net. Otherwise you're pulling everyone's leg.

rego00123
01-10-2013, 10:13 AM
pretty amazing how many people are willing to bend over.

the fact is AC:3 had major bugs left in EVERY sub system when it launched, it literally touched every part of the game. no company should be relying on patches to fix a product after shipping to meet a required release date. its bad business and should never be supported. there where things left in this game that where not fixed until 2 patches...things that if they had proper time and QC happening COULD NOT be missed. you cannot argue that "its an open wolrd game its going to have glitches" when the majority of those glitches had zero to do with the actual open world gameplay.

are patches a necessary evil today? yes absolutely...but not at the point where you totally omit portions of the game purposefully functioning properly to get to "down the road" there is a difference between bug fixes and finishing something still left incomplete.

this doesn't mean the creators of the game are not talented or "cant make games" and we should all hate them like a socially unacceptable misfit. the majority of the blame should be directed to the higher ups directing the show trying to please everyone and making unfinished products ship to meet specified release calendar dates. i actually feel sorry for the people who put the last few years in this project and had to ship it in the state it was in. at the end of the day its them left with the bad reputation for things out of their control.

this all said. AC:3 at this point in time is largely fixed and most people have enjoyed it forgetting (or not even knowing) about what it was. nobody cares and we will do this all over again on the next multi-team ubi project.

cant wait!

zhengyingli
01-10-2013, 11:07 AM

the fact is AC:3 had major bugs left in EVERY sub system when it launched, it literally touched every part of the game. no company should be relying on patches to fix a product after shipping to meet a required release date. its bad business and should never be supported. there where things left in this game that where not fixed until 2 patches...things that if they had proper time and QC happening COULD NOT be missed. you cannot argue that "its an open wolrd game its going to have glitches" when the majority of those glitches had zero to do with the actual open world gameplay.

are patches a necessary evil today? yes absolutely...but not at the point where you totally omit portions of the game purposefully functioning properly to get to "down the road" there is a difference between bug fixes and finishing something still left incomplete.

this doesn't mean the creators of the game are not talented or "cant make games" and we should all hate them like a socially unacceptable misfit. the majority of the blame should be directed to the higher ups directing the show trying to please everyone and making unfinished products ship to meet specified release calendar dates. i actually feel sorry for the people who put the last few years in this project and had to ship it in the state it was in. at the end of the day its them left with the bad reputation for things out of their control.

this all said. AC:3 at this point in time is largely fixed and most people have enjoyed it forgetting (or not even knowing) about what it was. nobody cares and we will do this all over again on the next multi-team ubi project.

cant wait!
There's no doubt in my mind that the game breaks; YouTube has all the proof. However, for curiousity's sake, I did one 100% play through on a new ps3 account without any patch. Except for the occasional floating muskets, consummables, and the twin holster problems, the game did not present any other problems. The trophies chimed in at the appropriate times. In short, a lot of us ran into bugs, but not even close to the reported sightings. I've followed three uncut lp'ers that finished the game with the day one patch without a hitch. I've my share of complaints about the lack of technical polish in ACIII, but I also try to understand that not everyone will encounter what I saw.

Krayus Korianis
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM

cant wait!
The OP needs to return his console... Because every game now has a patch.

Gi1t
01-10-2013, 06:11 PM
In response to trolls on this thread yelling at me to get better internet. This does ont solve the orginal problem with the percentage of consumers located outside of the rual areas that do not have dsl or cable lines.

This thread was created so I could find out how I could get my money back on a product that was broken.

There is still a majority of people that live in rural areas that do not support dsl and cable lines yet, For us downloading that huge patch can be next to impossible.
The game is not an MMO and never has been so internet is not required to play it.

They fact is they sold a game that was broken to everyone. The percentage of us with hughes net or slower internet services can not download something like that due to were we live.

You would not sell a car to a person without an engine, then a month later come back with the engine and say Oh wait you might need this.

To remedy this problem they should have the patch available on the website so you can download it at the library or a place with better internet , put it on a usb stick and plug it into your ps3.

Or.... have you supply the receipt via mail and they send you back a CD or usb drive with the patch on it for your game platform.

I don't think they're trolls, :) they're just people who are necroposting and not reading a word of the conversations that took place after the initial post. -__- I think the best thing for this thread is to be closed, now that it's resolved and all.

montagemik
01-10-2013, 07:50 PM
And their PS3 as well!

I have found the OP to be a troll.

Also, the patch is 9 MB... You can download that quickly with Hughes Net. Otherwise you're pulling everyone's leg.

The OP spent two days sending me Private messages - Trying to convince me to see or agree with his point of view . THIS was after he'd already taken his game back to the store.

Not sure how he continues to use his DVD / Blu-ray portions of his PS3 without updates . & as others said , i can't remember the last game i had that hasn't had/ needed an update at some point.

Gi1t
01-10-2013, 08:04 PM
The OP spent two days sending me Private messages - Trying to convince me to see or agree with his point of view . THIS was after he'd already taken his game back to the store.

Not sure how he continues to use his DVD / Blu-ray portions of his PS3 without updates . & as others said , i can't remember the last game i had that hasn't had/ needed an update at some point.

Really? 0__o I haven't had a single game that needed an update since I bought my 360 (AC1, 2 and Brotherhood included), and that was a long time ago. The only updates I've gotten were through game discs themselves. I've never had a game that didn't work properly and I needed to download something to make it work. Maybe it's a more prevalent problem on PS3?

montagemik
01-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Really? 0__o I haven't had a single game that needed an update since I bought my 360 (AC1, 2 and Brotherhood included), and that was a long time ago. The only updates I've gotten were through game discs themselves. I've never had a game that didn't work properly and I needed to download something to make it work. Maybe it's a more prevalent problem on PS3?

Possibly because the specs for Blu-ray are constantly progressing - So updates for ps3 games are needed to maintain stability in many games .
You guys won't have that problem so much - HD-DVD is pretty standard format , little changes for them