PDA

View Full Version : Great gameplay. Disappointing end

TheConfused
01-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Hi,

Just finished AC 2 first playthrough

Quite a few observations.

In all the playing of the Thief series I was hankering after some rooftop capers. I felt we did not get enough.

AC2 gives us loads of those. And so many different climbing and jumping techniques. Really excellent.

Also your pursuers can climb. None of them can do that in any of Deux Ex series or the Thief series. So that is a real bonus. None of them can swim though.

I thought that the detail of the old Italian cities was really good and the depictions of daily life as you walk through them.

All those different combat and concealment techniques were also very good. Although eventually I found a little too easy to drop troops of enemies numbering even up to ten without significant loss of health.

The concealed Assassins crypts were very good, and I really enjoyed navigating around them.

However, I felt that the ending was a real let down and a complete disappointment.

After winning a fist fight with Pope Alexandro VI (Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????? A fist fight with the Pope???) None other than Alexandro Borgia, we find our way into an inner sanctum where we get a morality lecture and ancient history lesson from a female humanoid alien. With an apple of Eden on its head.

Yet another ancient aliens story a la Von Daniken, 2001 Space Odyssey, Ray Bradbury, Promestheus, Day the Earth Stood Still, Whatever.....

The only part of that I enjoyed was Ezio asking "Who is Desmond??". Now that slayed me. I suppose you would be as likely to find a Desmond in 16th century Rome as a Kevin. He could be forgiven for asking "Who the f*** is Desmond?".

Also having to scour all those cities for 100 Eagle feathers just to hear my Mama say that I am a gooda boy was irritating to say the least.

But those negative moments were few and offset by many good hours of gameplay.

Assassin_M
01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
1- Hi
2- They`re not aliens
3- She did not have an Apple on her head xD
4- did you play AC I ?
5- Continuing the series will change your mind about the ending..

DELTA Kristian
01-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Dude you made my day, play all AC games... play 1 , 2 ,Brotherhood,Revelations,3. Thats all i can say. You obviously dont seem to like playing games wich require some thinking in them. Bet you didnt solve SUBJECT 16 `s puzzles.

TheSpong
01-03-2013, 07:00 PM
The only part of that I enjoyed was Ezio asking "Who is Desmond??". Now that slayed me. I suppose you would be as likely to find a Desmond in 16th century Rome as a Kevin. He could be forgiven for asking "Who the f*** is Desmond?".

Completely agree. For me, it's the only part of the story that's any good. It shows Ezio as he really is; a simple conduit, a mere cog in the machinery.

Also having to scour all those cities for 100 Eagle feathers just to hear my Mama say that I am a gooda boy was irritating to say the least.

Yep, totally not worth it IMO. And you get a cape that instantly makes you notorious. Thanks for that Ubi, after all that work, all that searching, you may as well have rewarded us with this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8

But those negative moments were few and offset by many good hours of gameplay.

Very true.

Mardarkin
01-03-2013, 09:44 PM
I didn't really "Get" Assassin's Creed, its futuristic history [if you catch my drift] until my second playthrough of the series. The fistfight with the Pope, the conversation with the alien being, both make perfect sense within the context of the Alternative Universe that it is.

TheConfused
01-04-2013, 02:48 PM
@Delta Kristian.

I loved the thinking parts of the game. They were the best in fact. Negotiating the crypts, Solving the puzzles. Finding the best route. Staying out of sight of the guards.

Sure I solved all the puzzles. I see a man and a woman running and climbing for their lives in skin suits with symbols on them. I can screen record the sequence of files if you like and post them right here.

I am prepared to admit that I have missed something. But if you will insist on insulting my intelligence by accusing me of shying away from thinking, then it probably isn't worth finding out about.

@Madarking. Yes, a fistfight with the Pope is makes sense within the context of an alternative universe. But then so does losing a fist fight with a 6 month old baby Meerkat. But its still nonesense.

TheConfused
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
@ Assassin_M

They're aliens my friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBR9I3FRepk

But ancient man thought they were Gods and gave them names.

AdrianJacek
01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
@ Assassin_M

They're aliens my friend

So... where does it say that they're aliens?

RinoTheBouncer
01-04-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't blame you for not understanding it/liking it since it's your first AC game obviously. I was blessed to play AC games from the very first one so give em' a try, play em' all and you'll be addicted.

kuled2012
01-04-2013, 04:45 PM
AC2 had the best mind**** ending in my games that I've played, I loved that.

Assassin_M
01-04-2013, 05:56 PM
@ Assassin_M

They're aliens my friend

Err No they`re not, "my friend"

TheSpong
01-04-2013, 06:02 PM
@ Assassin_M

They're aliens my friend

Your username makes that post particularly ironic :p
It's never even implied that TOWCB were otherworldly in some way.

Will_Lucky
01-04-2013, 06:54 PM
@ Assassin_M

They're aliens my friend

Not aliens, Those Who Came Before. They were born/evolved/whatever on Earth. They are natively from Earth, an Alien is someone not from Earth. So technically they are humanoids who originate from the same place as us. Another species, but not alien because their origins are on Earth.

IronEagl3
01-05-2013, 12:00 AM
I love collecting things throughout the game. I do it for the sake of getting 100%, I couldn't care less about the reward. I have OCD, and I don't stop doing something until they're all done. Like when I'm in Boston, I have to collect all chests and trinkets, and sync all viewpoints. Then I would turn off the Xbox, and the next day I'll do the Frontier, play some missions, go to New York, rinse and repeat.

iArfal
01-06-2013, 12:44 AM
When you'll play the other games, you'll find AC2 the best story of all.
The "aliens" are in fact god like humanoids who made the humans to serve them, and they've been wiped by a natural disaster (2012 of their era) and now they try to prevent it from happening, so they tell Ezio to hide the Apple, so Desmond finds it, but that's another story. (play Revelations)

Assassin_M
01-06-2013, 02:28 AM
When you'll play the other games, you'll find AC2 the best story of all.

I did that...and I found AC II worst of them all

IronEagl3
01-06-2013, 03:11 AM
I found AC1 to be the best of them all....well. It really depends on what people favor. I like Connor's story, but atmosphere has some affect on how you view the story. I mentioned before how I freaking LOVE Palestine. Love it with all my heart. But I don't like American history. I find its history and architectural flavor rather boring (in that era).

AC1 made me want to see more of what will happen next after he killed Al Mualim

AC3, I knew that whatever game will come next for him, it will just be another Brotherhood. An expansion. Barely any gameplay improvements with a short story to go along with it.

iArfal
01-06-2013, 06:06 PM
I did that...and I found AC II worst of them all

Congratulations sir, you are the ultimate Ezio hater.

Assassin_M
01-06-2013, 06:10 PM
So ?

IronEagl3
01-06-2013, 06:58 PM

Actually, you could say that I am. I don't like Ezio, almost at all. In AC2 he was cool. In Brotherhood, they made him like this perfection of humanity. He bought all of Rome, he was literally undefeatable (you actually cannot die in battle), and he was way too chill and became this super wise guy, which is all less likable because it's doesn't feel real...

Connor's character is better, even Altair's, because they both have so many flaws, which is what keeps them interesting. Connor was so easily defeatable by Haytham, even Lee can counter Connor's offensive attacks. Ezio was never even close to being matched in combat.

Altair same thing, he disobeyed the order, and had to redeem himself, and he questioned Al Mualim and all the targets he killed. The fight he had with Al Mualim was very close.

Ezio never questioned anything. Nobody he fought was tough to beat.

DroppedClock56
01-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I liked Ezio in Assassins creed 2, but after that, meh. Connor was very unlikable in my opinion, very naive and always about justice without questioning. Even though I like Connor, many do not. Some of the homestead missions he did seemed pointless like killing 10 people so that a farmer can sell some crops ect. Altair was very cool, he denied his order for what he thought was right and he was the founder of the real "Assassins" for he made it a secret organisation that spread around the globe.

Toa TAK
01-06-2013, 07:22 PM

Then I guess that makes me an Ezio hater. I found ACII to be boring midway through. Story wasn't as engaging for me like AC1, and ultimately, Italy (including Rome) got old quick.

IronEagl3
01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
I liked Ezio in Assassins creed 2, but after that, meh. Connor was very unlikable in my opinion, very naive and always about justice without questioning. Even though I like Connor, many do not. Some of the homestead missions he did seemed pointless like killing 10 people so that a farmer can sell some crops ect. Altair was very cool, he denied his order for what he thought was right and he was the founder of the real "Assassins" for he made it a secret organisation that spread around the globe.

Homestead missions were a joke. I wouldn't count those as a part of his character, since they were so badly layed out.

FirestarLuva
01-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Homestead missions were a joke. I wouldn't count those as a part of his character, since they were so badly layed out.

I wouldn't say all of them are pointless. Some of them really do show a bit more of Connor's character, not just him sad or angry, and the Achilles mission at the end was so touching. When he says, I miss you, like I miss my mother. :')

Space_Odyssey
01-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Actually, you could say that I am. I don't like Ezio, almost at all. In AC2 he was cool. In Brotherhood, they made him like this perfection of humanity. He bought all of Rome, he was literally undefeatable (you actually cannot die in battle), and he was way too chill and became this super wise guy, which is all less likable because it's doesn't feel real...

Connor's character is better, even Altair's, because they both have so many flaws, which is what keeps them interesting. Connor was so easily defeatable by Haytham, even Lee can counter Connor's offensive attacks. Ezio was never even close to being matched in combat.

Altair same thing, he disobeyed the order, and had to redeem himself, and he questioned Al Mualim and all the targets he killed. The fight he had with Al Mualim was very close.

Actually you are wrong. Ezio went through hell in AC Brotherhood to kill Cesare Borgia. Even with Ezio having the Apple, Cesare still got managed to live and escape to Spain and had to chase him again... He never tried to question his enemies because they were a real threat. He lost his family and his first love to them, so that's what he kept him going. It's like the saying "if you rob from someone everything that he loves and cares about then you can't stop him".

Connor falls in the same category. He lost his people and his mother. Only time he tried to question his beliefs was when he thought that he could make sense out of his father but with the other templars it was crystal clear what it had to be done. Which it wasn't possible since his father was evil too. That's why he chose Lee over his son. And about his combat skills.. What do you expect, from a boy that was trained by an old man that couldn't even held a sword and walks with a stick?

Altair on the other hand is another story. He was young and defiled everything he was standing for by killing an innocent civilian and by his foolishness causing the death of many of his brothers.

iArfal
01-06-2013, 09:18 PM

I admit, they ruined Ezio's character in Brotherhood but in Revelations it was kind of he was done of all his strength and wanted to finally find the true purpose of his life, which was him being a simple prophet.

I don't think there's much difference between AC2 - Brotherhood Ezio and Connor in terms of strength. Connor is even better at chaining guards.
I still wonder how he managed to stay alive after being wounded when confronting Lee.

IronEagl3
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
I admit, they ruined Ezio's character in Brotherhood but in Revelations it was kind of he was done of all his strength and wanted to finally find the true purpose of his life, which was him being a simple prophet.

I don't think there's much difference between AC2 - Brotherhood Ezio and Connor in terms of strength. Connor is even better at chaining guards.
I still wonder how he managed to stay alive after being wounded when confronting Lee.

I hope Ubisoft doesn't push Connor's story too much like they did to Ezio. They really effed things up with him.

Assassin_M
01-06-2013, 10:23 PM
I hope Ubisoft doesn't push Connor's story too much like they did to Ezio. They really effed things up with him.
I think they`re being careful with Connor. They already said so.. add to that the sensitivity of the character itself. just one wrong move and the whole plot of Connor will come down....Unlike Ezio. It worked for him where ever and however it went...

PrimalDeactivate
01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
They're the people who came before not "ALIENS"

IronEagl3
01-06-2013, 11:28 PM
I think they`re being careful with Connor. They already said so.. add to that the sensitivity of the character itself. just one wrong move and the whole plot of Connor will come down....Unlike Ezio. It worked for him where ever and however it went...

It worked with Ezio because he's a stereotypical Italian. They're known for experiencing the world and what not. Traveling the world for women.

TrueAssassin77
01-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Ezio is a sterotypical jame bond in EVERY WAY. Smoot, ladies man, some kind of sarcastic humor. perfect. inspirational. rare mistakes. If it was a mistake, it wasn't entirely his fault.
Connor is not very sterotypical.