PDA

View Full Version : Is the present day story needed?

shubimbi77
01-02-2013, 03:12 AM
Hey guys I was just thinking how I really do not enjoy playing the present day portions of the AC games, and I know some will disagree with me, but I really don't thing that those portions of the games are necessary. What do you think about it?
Also here is a YouTube video that I made about the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZjFJy2eYSg

Assassin_M
01-02-2013, 03:19 AM
Yes It`s necessary...All that needs saying... Assassins Creed is not just the present and not just the past. It`s the connection between both. neither can be "Assassins Creed" alone. no matter what you say of how you enjoy the past or loathe the present. the appeal to AC is the Mystery of the present and marvel of the past.

Hello and welcome...

Gi1t
01-02-2013, 03:31 AM
Yeah. It needs the present day story. It would be missing a massive amount of depth without it.

Besides, the present day story is already in there. What would they do to reconcile this complaint? Remove it and pretend it didn't ever exist in the first place?

shubimbi77
01-02-2013, 03:36 AM
Yeah. It needs the present day story. It would be missing a massive amount of depth without it.

Besides, the present day story is already in there. What would they do to reconcile this complaint? Remove it and pretend it didn't ever exist in the first place?

i realize it would be far fetched, i more or less just wanted to see what other people thought. and they could always do what they did in revelations and give the option to play it or not.

IronEagl3
01-02-2013, 04:35 AM
They could have done a better job with Desmond after AC2. From the looks of AC1, the modern day section looked awesome, and looked to have a bright future. But once they introduced TWCB, how there were "aliens" and they were mystical and such (not really mystical but I think you get it). I think if they just kept the very mysterious vibe and philosophical ways of AC1, the series would be much better (not that I'm not in love with it already). It would be cool to think of the first humans like Adam and Eve to have created the apple, then as centuries went on, more people would create more and more. Giving it a more realistic story, rather than aliens.

Jexx21
01-02-2013, 04:40 AM
They aren't aliens though.

Assassin_M
01-02-2013, 04:40 AM
They could have done a better job with Desmond after AC2. From the looks of AC1, the modern day section looked awesome, and looked to have a bright future. But once they introduced TWCB, how there were "aliens" and they were mystical and such (not really mystical but I think you get it). I think if they just kept the very mysterious vibe and philosophical ways of AC1, the series would be much better (not that I'm not in love with it already). It would be cool to think of the first humans like Adam and Eve to have created the apple, then as centuries went on, more people would create more and more. Giving it a more realistic story, rather than aliens.
TWCB before are not aliens...I hold back my anger, because you`re new....

IronEagl3
01-02-2013, 04:50 AM
TWCB before are not aliens...I hold back my anger, because you`re new....

Ik Ik they're not aliens. There was no other way to explain what they are. Civilized humans maybe, but it still seems too out of the ordinary. I would have liked them to give an extreme mystery background of the first civilization with Adam and Eve.

Assassin_M
01-02-2013, 04:52 AM
Ik Ik they're not aliens. There was no other way to explain what they are. Civilized humans maybe, but it still seems too out of the ordinary. I would have liked them to give an extreme mystery background of the first civilization with Adam and Eve.
Why ? Advanced Humans who are native to earth create Inferior Humans by playing with the genetics of an existing being...Sounds realistic enough:p

Death_Aflame
01-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Hey guys I was just thinking how I really do not enjoy playing the present day portions of the AC games, and I know some will disagree with me, but I really don't thing that those portions of the games are necessary. What do you think about it?
Also here is a YouTube video that I made about the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZjFJy2eYSg

Welcome to Assassin's Creed.

OmegaRomik
01-02-2013, 06:16 AM
If this franchis started next gen then maybe it would be a totally difrent story and Desmond would be awesome along with hes ending. BUT for now it is needed since Ubi needs to tell the story of AC.

ToughGuy31
01-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Good video, but it is the only thing from keeping it from PoP with hidden blades and white cloaks. It is necessary and it pains me to see people hate on it. I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but it seems sometimes like they're trying to please the modern day haters, witch actually drives off the modern day lovers, and the modern day haters are indifferent about it. I'm going to bring up a interview with Corey May from Gameinformer. He says something along the lines of ,"If you say the modern day parts suck, then thats my bad probably because I wrote bad or something. But I really hate when people say the modern parts ruin the immersion. What? How does playing as the protagonist ruin the immersion? I think they want us to make a different game or something, but there's nothing I can do for them." Sorry it's not EXACT but, its something like that.

D.I.D.
01-02-2013, 08:01 AM
I hear people saying that the modern day story adds depth, but my experience is the opposite. To me, the modern day/prehistoric angles are so poorly played that they actually detract from the core and make it feel shallow. I don't see why every single title needs the present day hook. I could quite easily play one game (or two or three in a row) in the past before playing another that reintroduced the 21st century if and when they have a really good idea. So far, I have seen a single good idea connected with 2012, so I'm not very hopeful about 2013-2015.

The glyph/cluster information told us that the ongoing story had always connected to massive events of the day: everything from the assassinations of huge figures such as Jesus, Gandhi and JFK, to the Revolutions of America, France, Russia and China, to the development of electrical grids and the moon landings. So where were the events of this decade in AC: the Arab Spring, the banking crisis, Wikileaks and so on? I can understand the problems of controversy if Ubisoft risked picking sides in something as sensitive as the Gaza blockade, but what about politically neutral matters such as the Neanderthal Genome Project? It's easy to see how that would connect to the First Civilisation story, but AC is currently too narrow to work with it.

DELTA Kristian
01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
I suggest we need one. They were pretty epic, i enjoyed slaughtering with Desmond.

lothario-da-be
01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Ac wouldn't feel ac enymore without the modern day story.

TheHumanTowel
01-02-2013, 01:33 PM
The glyph/cluster information told us that the ongoing story had always connected to massive events of the day: everything from the assassinations of huge figures such as Jesus, Gandhi and JFK, to the Revolutions of America, France, Russia and China, to the development of electrical grids and the moon landings. So where were the events of this decade in AC: the Arab Spring, the banking crisis, Wikileaks and so on? I can understand the problems of controversy if Ubisoft risked picking sides in something as sensitive as the Gaza blockade, but what about politically neutral matters such as the Neanderthal Genome Project? It's easy to see how that would connect to the First Civilisation story, but AC is currently too narrow to work with it.
The Assassin's Creed timeline diverges from our timeline sometime in the 21st century. If you read the e-mails in AC1 you'll see Desmond's 2012 is a very different place than our own. A massive portion of Africa's population has been killed by plague, there's constant hurricanes on coastal areas, Mexico are having to worry about the massive influx of American immigrants not the other way around. That's why you won't see references to recent events like the Arab spring and the recession.

lothario-da-be
01-02-2013, 01:39 PM
The Assassin's Creed timeline diverges from our timeline sometime in the 21st century. If you read the e-mails in AC1 you'll see Desmond's 2012 is a very different place than our own. A massive portion of Africa's population has been killed by plague, there's constant hurricanes on coastal areas, Mexico are having to worry about the massive influx of American immigrants not the other way around. That's why you won't see references to recent events like the Arab spring and the recession.
didn't know that, thanks!

D.I.D.
01-02-2013, 01:43 PM

Ah that's true, I'd forgotten about Vidic's conversations.

Still, why isn't this alternative timeline playing a part? Five games in, and they showed me a modern day world that felt like a tiny island even though I walked in three continents in the present day. There was galactic scale significance, in the danger from the sun, but no real significance on the planet itself.

TheHumanTowel
01-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Ah that's true, I'd forgotten about Vidic's conversations.

Still, why isn't this alternative timeline playing a part? Five games in, and they showed me a modern day world that felt like a tiny island even though I walked in three continents in the present day. There was galactic scale significance, in the danger from the sun, but no real significance on the planet itself.
Yeah they kind of dropped the whole chaos in the world after AC1 or at least just stopped showing it. It was disappointing when it could have been used to lend a sense of scale to Desmond's parts in AC3.

anik_lc
01-02-2013, 02:06 PM
It is indeed, I couldn't think any replacement.

ProletariatPleb
01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I don't really like the present day story the way it has been so far, I might've liked it if it was good but so far, whenever Desmond sections come, I feel "get this over with soon and then I can return to the historic timeline."

Oh an, Aliens doesn't just mean from beings outer space. That's just one meaning, TWCB ARE aliens, humanoids.

Sushiglutton
01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Not to me. If Ubi just pretended the modern part didn't exist I wouldn't miss it for a second. If the game just started with Haytham entering the Opera I would have zero issues with that. Modern day part just takes me out of the experience. It adds nothing interesting in terms of gameplay, as it is just a reskin of what happens in the historical part of the game. The story is getting more and more silly imo and even worse, a lot of it takes place in other mediums (books, comics etc). Let my PC be the Animus, I don't need a middle man :)!

ProletariatPleb
01-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Not to me. If Ubi just pretended the modern part didn't exist I wouldn't miss it for a second. If the game just started with Haytham entering the Opera I would have zero issues with that. Modern day part just takes me out of the experience. It adds nothing interesting in terms of gameplay, as it is just a reskin of what happens in the historical part of the game. The story is getting more and more silly imo and even worse, a lot of it takes place in other mediums (books, comics etc). Let my PC be the Animus, I don't need a middle man :)!
^This, a hundred times this. I cannot pretend to like Desmond just because I'm a fan of the game. He is boring.

TheHumanTowel
01-02-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't really like the present day story the way it has been so far, I might've liked it if it was good but so far, whenever Desmond sections come, I feel "get this over with soon and then I can return to the historic timeline."

Oh an, Aliens doesn't just mean from beings outer space. That's just one meaning, TWCB ARE aliens, humanoids.
What? Aliens does mean extraterrestrial life. TWCB evolved on Earth. They aren't aliens.

ProletariatPleb
01-02-2013, 02:46 PM
What? Aliens does mean extraterrestrial life. TWCB evolved on Earth. They aren't aliens.
No no you're missing the point, what I'm saying is, when someone says Aliens, they don't necessarily mean your typical outer space aliens.

TheHumanTowel
01-02-2013, 02:48 PM
No no you're missing the point, what I'm saying is, when someone says Aliens, they don't necessarily mean your typical outer space aliens.
But that's what alien means.

ProletariatPleb
01-02-2013, 02:52 PM
But that's what alien means.
No it just means foreign/strange. Look we can discuss this on chat later, this isn't what the thread is about.

TheHumanTowel
01-02-2013, 02:54 PM
No it just means foreign/strange. Look we can discuss this on chat later, this isn't what the thread is about.
No it doesn't but yeah let's get back on topic.

Sushiglutton
01-02-2013, 02:55 PM
No it doesn't but yeah let's get back on topic.

According to wiktionary: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/alien

Nounalien (plural aliens (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/aliens#English))

A person, animal (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/animal), plant (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/plant), or other thing which is from outside the family (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/family), group (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/group), organization (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/organization), or territory (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/territory) under consideration.
A foreigner (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/foreigner) residing in a country (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/country). [quotations ▼ (javascript:(function(){})())]

1773, William Blackstone, Commentaries on the laws of England: in four books, Volume 1 (Fifth Edition), page 372An alien born may purchase lands, or other estates: but not for his own use; for the king is thereupon entitled to them.
1831, John Marshall, Cherokee Nation v. Georgia, U.S. GovernmentThe counsel have shown conclusively that they are not a state of the union, and have insisted that individually they are aliens, not owing allegiance to the United States.
2004, Wesley Campbell, Stephen Court, Be a hero: the battle for mercy and social justice, Destiny Image Publishers, page 74Aliens are aliens because of persecution or war or hardship or famine.

Any life form (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/life_form) of extraterrestrial (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/extraterrestrial) origin.

she-assassin
01-02-2013, 03:26 PM
I love the modern day story, but I admit I'm not happy about the way TWCB were handled in the games. I liked how they were just casually mentioned in AC1, like yes, there was an advanced race that died out thousands of years ago and all that remained after them are pieces of extremely advanced technology, but no, we don't know much about them and that's pretty much all there is to it. I just wish the writers focused on the Templars vs. Assassins war more and probably made the launch of the Abstergo Eye the big event of 12/21/2012 combined with the massive solar flare and the end of the world as we know it, but not a literal end of the world which cannot be averted unless one of TWCB comes back to life and enslaves humanity. Seriously, Ubisoft, that's a bit too much.

I just wish they kept the story more simple and at the same time more centered on the characters and their development.

Felix-Vivo
01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
I haven't read through the thread yet... but in short, yes. One of my favourite parts was that the games spans generations, with the modern being that relatable point for us, and events that occur in one century affect individuals hundreds of years later. It would lose something without it. Before I first played the games, I didn't even realise that there was a modern-day section, but it contains a lot of my favourite characters now.

Kaschra
01-02-2013, 06:20 PM
I haven't read through the thread yet... but in short, yes. One of my favourite parts was that the games spans generations, with the modern being that relatable point for us, and events that occur in one century affect individuals hundreds of years later. It would lose something without it. Before I first played the games, I didn't even realise that there was a modern-day section, but it contains a lot of my favourite characters now.

^THIS. This so much. I feel exactly the same way.

AjinkyaParuleka
01-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Assassin's Creed won't be Assassin's Creed without Modern day story.Modern day story fascinated me more than the historical gameplay and yeah Alien doesn't means E.T.,they mean strange or foreign,there are theories that "Ancient Astronauts" came into Earth and modified some human beings which we now call Gods.This is so similar that how Protheans watched and observed the Humans in ME series.I heard that some archeologists found some human skulls bigger than an avg. human's.AC story is so good,that one can easily believe that it is true.

ToughGuy31
01-02-2013, 09:26 PM
I love the modern day story, but I admit I'm not happy about the way TWCB were handled in the games. I liked how they were just casually mentioned in AC1, like yes, there was an advanced race that died out thousands of years ago and all that remained after them are pieces of extremely advanced technology, but no, we don't know much about them and that's pretty much all there is to it. I just wish the writers focused on the Templars vs. Assassins war more and probably made the launch of the Abstergo Eye the big event of 12/21/2012 combined with the massive solar flare and the end of the world as we know it, but not a literal end of the world which cannot be averted unless one of TWCB comes back to life and enslaves humanity. Seriously, Ubisoft, that's a bit too much.

I just wish they kept the story more simple and at the same time more centered on the characters and their development.
I agree with you 100%. TWCB were a little confusing, but I always felt Desmond was the only thing keeping it from getting to LOST territory. And now, from AC3 onward, the story will be LOST territory. They should'v kept the AC1 feel, becuase in terms of story, AC1 was badass.

ProletariatPleb
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I was reading an article about if modern games were text-based. Their description of Desmond is hilariously correct and related to this thread.

http://i.imgur.com/Jj8z3.jpg

Article here:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/26/the-tex-adventures-that-never-were-assassins-creed-iii/

PantherophisG
01-03-2013, 03:00 PM

The overall story of AC is supposed to be about the modern day struggle of the Assassins while each game is supposed to be the story of each of Desmond's ancestors. I recall reading and hearing that in several different articles after AC2 was announced. With ACB it became "every NUMBERED installment is supposed to feature a new ancestor." That being said, I can see each individual game without the modern day, but that aspect has been used as the only thing tying these games together, so on the whole: Yes, the modern day story is needed.

According to wiktionary: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/alien

Nounalien (plural aliens (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/aliens#English))
A person, animal (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/animal), plant (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/plant), or other thing which is from outside the family (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/family), group (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/group), organization (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/organization), or territory (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/territory) under consideration.
A foreigner (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/foreigner) residing in a country (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/country). [quotations ▼ (http://javascript<strong></strong>:(function(){})())]1773, William Blackstone, Commentaries on the laws of England: in four books, Volume 1 (Fifth Edition), page 372An alien born may purchase lands, or other estates: but not for his own use; for the king is thereupon entitled to them.1831, John Marshall, Cherokee Nation v. Georgia, U.S. GovernmentThe counsel have shown conclusively that they are not a state of the union, and have insisted that individually they are aliens, not owing allegiance to the United States.2004, Wesley Campbell, Stephen Court, Be a hero: the battle for mercy and social justice, Destiny Image Publishers, page 74Aliens are aliens because of persecution or war or hardship or famine.Any life form (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/life_form) of extraterrestrial (http://forums.ubi.com/wiki/extraterrestrial) origin.

Even considering this definition, I'd say TWCB were NATIVES of Earth, not ALIENS. They are terrestrial beings native to this planet. I don't recall Minerva, Juno, or Jupiter ever mentioning anything about TWCB coming to Earth.

Paribissee
01-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Maybe if that animus thing was only shown and explained it would be ok but i dont like that Desmond character and the modern day missions at all:rolleyes:

LordWolv
01-03-2013, 05:04 PM
If we died out and sheep evolved to be dominant in the planet, would we be aliens?

ProletariatPleb
01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
If we died out and sheep evolved to be dominant in the planet, would we be aliens?
If they don't know about us? Pretty much, yeah.

pirate1802
01-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Well,modern day setting is what sets AC apart from other games, gives it a surreal touch. I love that. Even if I wasn't a big fan of the actual modern day parts, I love the connection with the past and what it means, but post AC III ending I've come to be very interested in it.

But but buut... devs need to work on modern day gameplay. Those modern day combat in AC III were hilariously weak.

pirate1802
01-03-2013, 05:36 PM
If they don't know about us? Pretty much, yeah.

Well technically anything not familiar to us is alien. So yes we would be alien to futuristic sheep.But, what most people mean while talking about TWCB being aliens is far from that. They think TWCb originated on other planets and came t Earth to create humans, in other words, Ancient Aliens. That is simply not true.

Sushiglutton
01-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Well,modern day setting is what sets AC apart from other games, gives it a surreal touch. I love that. I wasn't a big fan of it, but post AC III ending I've come to be very interested in it.

But but buut... devs need to work on modern day gameplay. Those modern day combat in AC III were hilariously weak.

For me it's the other way around :). It's the historical part that feels unique and like something no other game does.

The problem with the gameplay is that it would pretty expensive to develop two games in one. So they have chosen to just reskin the gameplay from the historical part bascally. I'm ok with that as they allready have sooo much content. Another reason to scrap the modern part ;).

twenty_glyphs
01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't mind if they scrapped most of the modern-day gameplay. I've always liked the atmosphere and framework of the modern-day part of the story, but the boring gameplay and mundane tasks drag it down. Walking as Desmond in AC1 was silly and boring, but at least he could free-run more as the series went on. The conversations are nice and sometimes interesting (mostly Shaun of course), and the emails were tantalizing at times. But there's no reason those have to happen during modern-day gameplay. Surely you could receive emails while still in the Animus (it already tells you you've received new mail, but won't let you read it?), and many conversations could play as audio while you're within the "white room" portion of the Animus. The glyphs and rifts were interesting and were a part of the modern-day story even though you were in the Animus.

It might even be interesting to not know who the modern-day character in the Animus is, only that they are helping a team of Assassins uncover important historical information. Maybe because you can't see who you're working with, you're never even sure that you aren't helping the Templars. Another option would be going down the virtual reality route and having the main character trapped in the Animus with their avatar roaming around cool-looking Animus rooms like the start of AC3 and the VR training rooms of Brotherhood. In short, I like the modern-day framework and atmosphere and would hate to see it go, but the modern-day gameplay is probably starting to drag the series down.

If they do keep modern-day gameplay, I think they should just stick to exploration and platforming like Brotherhood's segments. The combat doesn't work well at all in the modern-day segments for me, and comes off as clunky, dorky and contrived. It really is just re-skinning the historical part of the game for the worse. I'd like to see them create an interesting map of decent size to free-roam and explore for clues between Animus sessions. Maybe have some of the "tomb" platforming levels like the Colosseum from the end of Brotherhood in the modern-day section. I also really liked the connection and passage of time by seeing the villa in 2012 in Brotherhood after seeing it 500 years earlier in AC2. It might be interesting to have a game set in a run-down historical landmark that you explore for physical clues throughout the game, then get to see that landmark in a more pristine state in the Animus sessions. I'm also open to a drastic new type of present-day gameplay. But I feel the only thing that translates well from the Animus gameplay to the present is the free-running aspect.