PDA

View Full Version : Why are the assassins creed enemy AI so awful?!?

Wolfmeister1010
01-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Over the course of all the assassins creed games, the npcs have slowly become better and better. Alot of people take the ac games for granted. Do you know how difficult to have that many npcs in the world and still have a well running game??? No other game has that many npcs. Even gta cant quite compare. Now, at the point of ac3, the civillian AI has been perfected. You no longer have to blend with extremely artificial looking groups of 4 or 5. Now, all the civillians look unique, have their own jobs, react to others around them, and look very natural. But, still, even with all of the advancements in AI, the assassins creed 3 AI are still awful. They stand still when their comrades are attacked, and ehen the run and move, they look really artificial......i have an idea, let me compare assassins creed 3 enemies to a set of enemies in another 3rd person stealth action game, who are very good. (batman arkham city)

In ac3, when you kill a target, the enemies stand there oblivious for a few seconds, and then suddenly burst into full combat. When they see a dead comrade, instead of freakingout, the say "oh noez!!! Hes dead." without emotion, and then continue to walk on. They have no emotion, and never look scared. The running and moving animations are awful for them. You can see how awful they look while hiding in a hay bale and watching them run around, shaking their arms. Some of the AI ignore shots to the back with arrows in an unbelievable skyrim like fashion.

In BAC, the enemies react like realmpeople when they see you. "holy crap, its the bat!!!!. They get visibly scared and tremble as they walk around looking for you. They murmur things like, "get out where we can see you!!" and fool themselves with saying brave thing with a scared undertone. They freak out when you show your self. When they see a fallen buddy, they also freak out, and their characters are bursting with emotion and panic. They get more wary, and never stop lookingg for you.

The main difference between ac AI, and batman arkham city AI, is that when the enemies see a fallen buddy in BAC, it is lile the end of the world. That is the last thing i want them to do. In ac, if they find a dead body, i dont give a crap, because i know they will just walk back to their posts and forget about it. The ac3 AI look clunky when they are moving, and they go out of their way to harass you for no reason. The only time the AI look good is when in combat. Then their faces show agony and panic.

Ubisoft,!!!!! Please improve the enemy AI in future ac games!! And please dont close this thread and tell me to contact ubisoft support. I already have.

Please, tell me your own experiences with the horrible ac3 enemy AI. And give your opinion on the situation in the poll above. I will start you off...

I shot a soldier with an arrow inthe frontier, who was in front of another guard. They both stopped. Stood still, then continued to walk without saying a word, with a giant arrow sticking out of his chest. So much like skyrim its funny. "mustve been my imagination!!!!!!!!!!"

Wolfmeister1010
01-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Sorry i misspelled "improved" in the poll.

Sushiglutton
01-01-2013, 11:26 PM
I think the AI reacts weirdly in many spots and there are plenty of wtf moments. Def something that can be worked on! To be fair though programming a good AI for the AC games is a bit trickier than what it is for Arkham City, because there are just sooo many situations they can get into.

Another thing to consider is that the AC games have a lot more things going on (it's an open world game, the stealth in Arkham City mostly takes place in a locked room), which limits the amount of RAM available. I don't know hoiw big of a factor this is, but new consoles may give them room to push AI more?

Assassin_M
01-01-2013, 11:55 PM
I`d suggest people actually try to LOOK and follow NPCs in AC III before they vote, because those who voted "Totally revamp" have no idea what they`re talking about...

I did not vote for Perfect, just so you all know...

LoyalACFan
01-02-2013, 12:39 AM
I`d suggest people actually try to LOOK and follow NPCs in AC III before they vote, because those who voted "Totally revamp" have no idea what they`re talking about...

I did not vote for Perfect, just so you all know...

He's talking specifically about the enemies, not just civilians. The civilian AI is pretty good, all things considered, but the enemy AI is positively idiotic.

Assassin_M
01-02-2013, 01:50 AM
He's talking specifically about the enemies, not just civilians. The civilian AI is pretty good, all things considered, but the enemy AI is positively idiotic.
He`s talking about both and the enemy AI does not need an entire revamp as well..It is Idiotic, I agree wholeheartedly, but why revamp the entire thing NOW ?? We`re so close and all it needs are some tweaks....and even at that, I`m positive that many who voted for an entire revamp have done so for all the wrong reasons, such as it being "hard"

Wolfmeister1010
01-02-2013, 01:55 AM
He`s talking about both and the enemy AI does not need an entire revamp as well..It is Idiotic, I agree wholeheartedly, but why revamp the entire thing NOW ?? We`re so close and all it needs are some tweaks....and even at that, I`m positive that many who voted for an entire revamp have done so for all the wrong reasons, such as it being "hard"

I actually think that while the civillians are fine, the enemies are pretty bad. I personally dont think they need a total revamp, but definitely a few tweaks.

OmegaRomik
01-02-2013, 01:58 AM
The stealth mechanic needs to be better and Ubisoft said that Next gen needs to arrive because due to lame tech of ps3 and xbox they cant tell the story they want to tell ,so hopefully next creed is next gen.

Assassin_M
01-02-2013, 02:34 AM
I actually think that while the civillians are fine, the enemies are pretty bad. I personally dont think they need a total revamp, but definitely a few tweaks.
I agree completely. a few tweaks and it`ll be fine, not an entire revamp...There`s no reason for that

ACfan443
01-02-2013, 02:46 AM
In my opinion, the civilian AI is stupid. Where in previous game they'd crowd around and murmur while you were in high profile (e.g. climbing up a building) and react somewhat more realistically, they now don't seem fazed at all by your actions. Yes there are one or two people looking at you for a few seconds while you're stumbling about like a buffoon, but then they carry on about their zombie business like nothing's happening. Another example is pickpocketing, in static groups you can literally stand right in front of a civilian and pickpocket them to your heart's content, and they won't react, other civilians surrounding them won't react a lot of the time either. The worst is during combat, they're not only stupid, but also incredibly annoying -casually walking straight into your fight causing you to either bury a hatchet into their thick skulls or ruin your kill chain. The civilians have the same dumb AI as the previous games, with a few tweaks here and there, nothing amazing. And far from what was described in interviews and trailers. They definitely need improvement.

Wolfmeister1010
01-02-2013, 04:34 AM
In my opinion, the civilian AI is stupid. Where in previous game they'd crowd around and murmur while you were in high profile (e.g. climbing up a building) and react somewhat more realistically, they now don't seem fazed at all by your actions. Yes there are one or two people looking at you for a few seconds while you're stumbling about like a buffoon, but then they carry on about their zombie business like nothing's happening. Another example is pickpocketing, in static groups you can literally stand right in front of a civilian and pickpocket them to your heart's content, and they won't react, other civilians surrounding them won't react a lot of the time either. The worst is during combat, they're not only stupid, but also incredibly annoying -casually walking straight into your fight causing you to either bury a hatchet into their thick skulls or ruin your kill chain. The civilians have the same dumb AI as the previous games, with a few tweaks here and there, nothing amazing. And far from what was described in interviews and trailers. They definitely need improvement.
Most of what you are complaining about has happened in every sinlge game. You are right about the pickpocketing, but nothing else.