PDA

View Full Version : Some tips for careers

Bruusteri
02-06-2004, 02:13 PM
I don't know if everybody knows these tips, so I decided to post them. I'm terribly sorry if I'm posting old stuff here, but maybe some newbies are interested at least.

In another post it was said that after updating to 1.22 a career in 1.11 doesn't work (I still have 1.11, so I'm not sure). Even if it works, I have found that sometimes a career hangs (game kind of hangs after trying to reload a career) or even if it doesn't hang http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif you might be unhappy for some settings...

-- TIP 1 ------
The above problem might not completely trash your career. One of my careers hanged after 150 missions, so I did the following thing. I started a new career from the campaign where I was when the career crashed (in my case it was Kursk). I started it with the same rank I had when it crashed. Then I copy/pasted the medal,kill count,event etc data from the old squadron file into the new file. Same way I copied the flight book data and killed aces, history data etc. Unfortunately I had to refly some missions, because the new career starts from the beginning of a campaign and I had already flown maybe 4-5 of those Kursk missions before it hanged. So if you do this voluntarily, you probably want to do it just after moving into a new campaign (say from Smolensk into Moscow).

If you do this, just check all files in the career folder (open with notepad etc) and copy the data if it is important. Some files can be copied directly (and overwritten), some need that you copy/paste only part of the data. No need to copy the old missions.

After this the mission count shown in the career list (the list showing all careers for his pilot) is not correct, but who cares (it won't do any harm).
-- END OF THE TIP ------

-- TIP 2 ------
Note that the above method can be used to change your difficulty settings in the middle of a career. The new career can be given any settings.
-- END OF THE TIP ------

-- TIP 3 ------
Also if you want to change the planes you picked for each campaign, you can do it by editing a certain file in the career folder (I think it was the .ini file). This works even in the middle of a campaign (the following mission will use the new plane, not the current - just make sure the plane name code you use is a correct one). For example I started to regret I chose 109 F-2 instead of F-4. The 15mm mg is so crap (in the game) that I changed my plane to F-4 in the middle of a campaign - without reflying any of the missions.
--- END OF THE TIP ---

I hope somebody finds these useful, otherwise I've wasted 10 minutes writing this. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

If anybody wants detail info, I can tell exactly what I did and for what files.

Cheers

Bruusteri
02-06-2004, 02:13 PM
I don't know if everybody knows these tips, so I decided to post them. I'm terribly sorry if I'm posting old stuff here, but maybe some newbies are interested at least.

In another post it was said that after updating to 1.22 a career in 1.11 doesn't work (I still have 1.11, so I'm not sure). Even if it works, I have found that sometimes a career hangs (game kind of hangs after trying to reload a career) or even if it doesn't hang http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif you might be unhappy for some settings...

-- TIP 1 ------
The above problem might not completely trash your career. One of my careers hanged after 150 missions, so I did the following thing. I started a new career from the campaign where I was when the career crashed (in my case it was Kursk). I started it with the same rank I had when it crashed. Then I copy/pasted the medal,kill count,event etc data from the old squadron file into the new file. Same way I copied the flight book data and killed aces, history data etc. Unfortunately I had to refly some missions, because the new career starts from the beginning of a campaign and I had already flown maybe 4-5 of those Kursk missions before it hanged. So if you do this voluntarily, you probably want to do it just after moving into a new campaign (say from Smolensk into Moscow).

If you do this, just check all files in the career folder (open with notepad etc) and copy the data if it is important. Some files can be copied directly (and overwritten), some need that you copy/paste only part of the data. No need to copy the old missions.

After this the mission count shown in the career list (the list showing all careers for his pilot) is not correct, but who cares (it won't do any harm).
-- END OF THE TIP ------

-- TIP 2 ------
Note that the above method can be used to change your difficulty settings in the middle of a career. The new career can be given any settings.
-- END OF THE TIP ------

-- TIP 3 ------
Also if you want to change the planes you picked for each campaign, you can do it by editing a certain file in the career folder (I think it was the .ini file). This works even in the middle of a campaign (the following mission will use the new plane, not the current - just make sure the plane name code you use is a correct one). For example I started to regret I chose 109 F-2 instead of F-4. The 15mm mg is so crap (in the game) that I changed my plane to F-4 in the middle of a campaign - without reflying any of the missions.
--- END OF THE TIP ---

I hope somebody finds these useful, otherwise I've wasted 10 minutes writing this. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

If anybody wants detail info, I can tell exactly what I did and for what files.

Cheers

Curly_109
02-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Ok. Thx. Hope it works with changing aircraft in the middle of campaign. It's very frustrating when you fly over 100 missions and then figure out that your plane sucks. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.frenkenstein.com/ww2/croatia/15.JG52_109.jpg

Bruusteri
02-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Ok. Some details:

Tip 1/2:
[File] - what it is and what to do with it
------------
[Archive.dat] - this contains the killed pilots(your squadron). You can overwrite the new one with the old career file if you want to (not necessary, unless you want to view some of your old friends)

[DeadAces.dat] - Contains list of the dead aces. Overwrite the new file with the one from old career (otherwise you might see aces who you killed in the past).

[kills.dat] - Contains the list of your kills. Same as above. Copy the old file over the new file. This is the list which is showed at the end of the mission briefing.

[logbook.dat] - This contains the logbook (Who could have guessed! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif). This is little tricky. Open both the new and the old file. Copy all contents form the OLD file to the BEGINNING of the NEW file, EXCEPT the last DATE,PLANE,MISSION triplet. The flight entries go in the order (DATE,PLANE,MISSION,EVENT*,FLIGHT TIME) (*=0..n times). So the file should end with entries DATE, PLANE, MISSION and a new line(\n) and nothing after those. Save the the new longbook after the changes.

[squadron.dat] - Information about all pilots in your squadron (including you). Open both old and the new files. Make the following entries match in your information (edit the NEW file to match the old one): SORTIES, KILLS, GROUND, NMEDALS, MEDALS. You can also copy all EVENT entries (and even add some of your own). I do NOT recommend that you try to copy the old pilot names from the old career, because then you would have to also change the status.dat file for the current mission (it lists the pilot for each plane). I always leave the status.dat as it is. Save the new career file.

[summary.dat] - Counts of destoyed planes(air, ground), vehicles, ships, etc... by you (NOT by the squadron). Copy the old career file over the new career file.

Note that some of the files might be missing from the new career (then just copy the old one there). For example there is no DeadAces.dat, because you haven't killed anyone yet.

Mission files are also text files and you could for example change the loadout of your formations even when you are not commanding. If you do, take a backup first.

Tip 3:
You just have to edit the "conf.dat" file (NOT the ini file like I was remembering in the first message):

The plane code have to be exactly correct. Few examples:
THESE HAVE TO EXACTLY CORRECT (and also planes which are flyable)!!!

F2A_B239 - For Brewster
BF_109G2 - For ... well I'm sure you guess http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
BF_109G6Late
HE_111H2
ME_262A2A
FW_190A4
FW_190D9
BF_109E4B
BF_109E7 - this is actually E7/B
LAGG_3SERIES4 - early war model
LAGG_3SERIES66 - 1943 model
MIG_3UD
YAK_1B
YAK_9T
MIG_3SHVAK
LA_5FN
LA_7B20 - the model with 3x20mm?
IL_2_1941Late
IL_2MEarly
IL_2MLate
IL_2Type3
... (and so on)

So, you DO NOT have to restart the career, just edit this file.

There is some other data in the file, but I haven't dared to change them.

Cheers

Chuck_Older
02-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Interesting.
I have two in-game tips

1) map the pause key to something like the spacebar. If ever you experience a significant frame drop issue, immediately tap the spacebar, or whatever! This will immediately pause the game. You may save yourself from piling into the ground.
2) the only use I have ever had for 1/2 and 1/4 time: Giving your wingmen commands. I hate having to blindly tap keys trying to tell my wingman to break turn, when I have actually asked him to 'loiter here'. Use the 1/4 time scaling, and get 4X the time to actually choose the correct command.

the sergeant will for, his sergeant's pay, obey the captain 'till his dying day~ Clash

Bruusteri
02-07-2004, 08:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Interesting.
I have two in-game tips

1) map the pause key to something like the spacebar. If ever you experience a significant frame drop issue, immediately tap the spacebar, or whatever! This will immediately pause the game. You may save yourself from piling into the ground.
2) the only use I have ever had for 1/2 and 1/4 time: Giving your wingmen commands. I hate having to blindly tap keys trying to tell my wingman to break turn, when I have actually asked him to 'loiter here'. Use the 1/4 time scaling, and get 4X the time to actually choose the correct command.

the sergeant will for, his sergeant's pay, obey the captain 'till his dying day~ Clash<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that tip 2 of yours is a good one. I've used it too. Actually in some older simulators it was possible to give orders when the game was paused (EAW if I remember) and I think Il2FB should work also it that way!

Actually I just remembered another tips. These are not technical hacking and are instead more like tactical tips.

Tip 1:
You all know that AI formation flying is bad. Most of the cases I have to refly a mission is because my wingman's engine got into my cockpit. To greatly limit AI collisions I do the following...

I order all formation in my command to LOOSEN FORMATION. I repeat this 3-4 times for each formation. Generally I do this immediately at the runway before we take off. I have to repeat this procedure again after each time I order formations to rejoin (that seems to reset the plane separation(distance) in formations). Also after a dogfight when the planes automaticly rejoin, you should do this again. This works only for those formations which you can command, so other formations are still vulnerable for collisions.

Tip 2:
If flying a level bomber mission (I have experience only on He-111), I set the bomb sight altitude and speed to those which will match the bombing situation(you see the altitude in the briefing and TAS speed can be estimated by experience). I also set the angle to 60-70 degrees. This helps a little when you are in the bombing situation, because you often have hands full of work at that point. Of course I have to make some adjustments, but they are quickly made unlike if I would have to set the values all from the beginning.

Tip 3:
If you fly He-111, these also help. If attacking truck columns, trains, tanks and similar unprotected or lightly protected targets, it makes no sense bombing from high altitude. I often break the formation kilometers before the target (OK, this is not realistic to disobey your flight leader, but I rather want to get some targets destroyed instead of "plowing a field" hundreds of meters away from the target). I fly at 50-500m over target and drop the bombs (I've set the bomb delay to 3 secs) without the bomb sight (just like if flying jabo). Actually using the bomb sight is so annoying task that I prefer this tactic. If you have H6 version, the front mounted 20mm cannon is also a nice toy to strafe some soft targets http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif The good old "spade" has brought me home many time even with one engine shot, half of the crew killed and more holes than in a Swiss cheese http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tip 4:
He-111H6. This is a difficult trick and requires lots of practising (you can practise this easily in Crimea with QMB). I don't know if the torpedos in H-6 model are underpower or what, but two of those cannot sink a Soviet destroyer(!). I do this: Bomb delay to 0 secs (this is important), 4x500kg bombs. I fly low(100m or so) and as fast as I can over the water, I drop the bombs some time before the target ship, and they bounce from the water and will hit the ship eventually (if dropped correctly). Now I have to climb like a maniac and turn away before the explosion gets me. This is a lot of fun even if you don't succeed http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Just watch the flak.

Tip 5:
Any plane capable of carrying torpedos (Il-2T or He-111H6). Who said that bridges must be bombed. Just load the plane with torpedoes, fly along the river and drop the eals so that they are aimed towards the concrete pillars (which support the bridge).

Tip 6:
Stuka. Often I have found that flying in formation is THE WAY to get killed. I have a 20 kills record by flying my stuka like a fighter. Stuka can do many aerobatic movements just fine. Remember to keep some speed and use WEP only when doing evasive maneuvers and let engine cool a little when there are no enemies behind. Eventually the enemy flyes over and then it's your chance. Too bad the Stukas in the game have only 2x7.92mm MG forward - it would be easier with D-5 with 2x20mm. However be warned - this works quite well against not so tough opponents. If the opponent is an ace in Yak-3 or a human flyer, you'll be in trouble. Once I even managed to shoot down one I-16type24 and lured the other one to fly into the ground while I still had bombs hanging under. I was the only survivor since they had killed my two friends - I would have died too if I had been flying straight.

Curly_109
02-07-2004, 03:03 PM
THX. It will save me much time.