PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Battle: Ac3 vs Ac2! spoilers!

Wolfmeister1010
12-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi everyone! I am going to give my personal opinion on which game is better. Please post your opinion in the comments or the poll.

Gameplay:
1. Combat: While the combat in Ac2 was good, i'm sure we can all agree that the combat in ac3 was an improvement in every way. It took some time to get used to, but it is so much more fluid, not to mention the fact that it can be done on an uneven terrain. Ac3 wins!
2. Parkour!!: I sometimes miss the challenge of the ac2 climbing, and the multi-button techniques, I think that the fluidity of ac3's movement is an improvement. In ac3, you dont have to use the "claw grip" anymore, and if you hold down a or b (x or o) then you can vault over obstacles in a truly badass fasion. On the other hand, Connor is a lot slower than ezio. All in all, I think Ac3 takes the prize for parkour.
3. Stealth: The addition of wall cover is welcome, but it doesnt do much to add to the experience. In both games, I rarely find myself blending, and I truly think that all of the ac games are not "Stealthy" at all. It is a tie.
4. Polish: While ac2 was a masterpiece, fully polished to perfection upon release, ac3 was a mess of gamebreaking bugs in its early days in stores. Now, a few patches have restored the feeling of polish, but ac3 still feels rough around the edges. Ac2 wins.

Ac3 wins in the gameplay area.

Environment
1. Npc's: In ac2, everyone was always in groups of 4 or 5, and moving down the street in artificial looking groups. In ac3, everyone looks like they have theeir own jobs, they go where they please, and they talk to each other. They look much more realistic in ac3. Also, the incorporation of animals into the cities and fontier is a fun and brilliant addition to the series. Ac3 wins.
2. Weather: While previous games are stuck in permenant sunny spring, the weather in ac3 is unpredictable, and it adds a huge amount of realism to the game. Ac3 wins.
3. Small details: Ac3 adds a huge amount of small details into the game that makes it so awesome, like how guards finally have their own unique faces, facial animations in combat are added, rats scurry around the city, and the snow that covers the ground is malleaable and changes the gameplay and movement. Ac3 is a marvle of technology, even when the bugs threaten to hurt the experience.
4. Cities: In ac3, the wide streets and lower buildings are justified by the added trees in between them, but still, the cities in ac3 cant come close to the slendor and beauty of ac2's Venice and Florence. It is just not as magical. Ac2 wins.\
5. Gaphics: ac3 wins, i think that's pretty obvious.

Ac3 wins the Environment area.

Story
1. Connor vs Ezio: Ezio is a charming, womanizing, and slightly cliche assassin, while Connor is a serious, noble, and sometimes abnoxious warrior. I personally think that Connor is a better character, because of the following reasons: While ezio grew up in a life of comfort and wealth, Connor grew up in a conflicted and harsh environment. Also, if Connor acted like ezio in his village, he would probably be branded as childish and be thrown out or something. Connor totally has the right to be serious and somewhat humorous. I think players have been spoiled by 3 games worth of Ezio's jokes and prince charming like manner. Connor is sometimes arrogant, sure, but remember he has spent his life being completely conflicted about who he is. While ezios life steadily gets better in ac2 after his family is murdered, Connor has to deal with plenty of twists and turns in his life, like the destruction of his village, the forced moving of his village, and the forced killing of his best friend. He is new to the bustling feel of cities, and has yet to feel comfortable in that setting. Notice how he becomes much more nice and open in his village or at the homested. I think Connor is a better and much more realistic character than ezio, but that is just my opinion. :)
2. Plot: Connor's story is grittier and more realistic than ezio's with a much more grey area between the templars and assassins. But, I feel that ezios story in ac2 is a little bit better because the characters in ac2 are better, and there is just something more magical about ezios story? Also, the developers did an awful job pacing the story of ac3, because you played as someone else for 1/3 of the game, and the tutorials ended at sequence 6!!! . Ac2 wins, but keep in mind that connor's story is just beginning!.......

Ac2 wins in the story area.

Sound
1. sound effects: Ac3's combat noises are so much better than ac2. the clanging noise of the tomahawk and swords are addicting, and even though the taunts from guards are really bad in ac3 compared to ac2's great ones, i think ac3 still wins in the sound effects area.
2. Soundtrack: Ac3 is better! LOL JK ac2 wins!!! Jesper kyd's ac2 was a masterpiece and made me tear up. Rooftops of venice will forever be the best tack in ac history, next to access the animus. The open , nature, and batman like feeling to Lorne Balfe's ac3 is great, and the main theme, fight club, and breaching the walls tracks are amazing, but they can not compare to the magic of Jesper kyd's ac2. Ac2 wins by a longshot, and ubisoft needs to bring Jesper back!!!!!

Ac2 wins in the sound area.

So, all in all, ac3 wins in the gameplay and graphics areas, but ac2 still holds the crown for music and story. WOW. what a hard choice,........I still think ac3 is a better game. But that is just me. Please give me your opinion!

TrueAssassin77
12-31-2012, 10:55 PM
AC2 story is not great.
At the most basic level AC3 story is better in everyway. Only problem is that AC3 paced it horribly since they had to compensate for haythams story

Saltyyyy
12-31-2012, 11:10 PM
So you're comparing a game that was made in 09, to a game that has been developed over time and had a lot of feedback from the community over a span of 3 years (More if you consider it has been in development since AC1)

If anything put it down to story line and enjoyment factor, but that's an opinion.

I enjoyed AC2 a lot more and found it had more re playability factor, AC3 is good and I love what they've done with the mechanics but I enjoyed AC2 a lot more.

Just my opinion though :)

Wolfmeister1010
12-31-2012, 11:42 PM
So you're comparing a game that was made in 09, to a game that has been developed over time and had a lot of feedback from the community over a span of 3 years (More if you consider it has been in development since AC1)

If anything put it down to story line and enjoyment factor, but that's an opinion.

I enjoyed AC2 a lot more and found it had more re playability factor, AC3 is good and I love what they've done with the mechanics but I enjoyed AC2 a lot more.

Just my opinion though :)

Yes. Thats exactly what i'm doing. :) oh snd btw it was developed since after ac2, so...

Saltyyyy
01-01-2013, 12:31 AM
They say it's been on the drawing board since AC1 ;)

SixKeys
01-01-2013, 12:42 AM
AC2 by a mile. AC3 has better graphics and better combat, plus the option to replay missions. AC2 has better story, better characters, better pacing, better tutorials, better side missions, better stealth, better mission design, better environments and better soundtrack.

dragondox10
01-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Its hard to compare the games now (due to the advancements of Ubi's technology).
But, looking at my reaction at the time I finished the game, I would say ACII.
The only thing that I hated in ACII was not having the option to replay missions and the lack of diversity in combat.

TrueAssassin77
01-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Heres how you tell whether a story is good.

ask: What was the morale of the story.
Ask yourself: What was the morale of AC2
Ask yourself: What was the morale of AC3

Once you do this, it will become obvious which has the best story, because you'll notice... one of the games don't have a morale of the story

poptartz20
01-01-2013, 01:11 AM
ahh... This one is hard. I for the most part feel torn between the two. But Assassins Creed III pulls ahead if I had to choose between them.

I feel that ACIII gave so much more to offer. I feel that the game hasn't really received the credit it deserves. I know I can be a little biased due to the fact that they chose one of my favorite time points in history with this game. On the other hand this game has so much that it speaks for itself. Granted, with all good things there comes the bad. The game was glitchy, and there should have been some more fine tuning before it's release date. Even though this was a bit off-putting it doesn't ruin the entire game. The game had a great story, for the simple fact that for the first time in the series they blurred the line of good and evil. We get to see actual attempts at the two orders trying to unite. We question who is actually right and if there is a wrong. That for me is the cherry on top. Then at the same time you have Connor who gets stuck between it all.

poptartz20
01-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Its hard to compare the games now (due to the advancements of Ubi's technology).
But, looking at my reaction at the time I finished the game, I would say ACII.
The only thing that I hated in ACII was not having the option to replay missions and the lack of diversity in combat.

I think they both have the moral... Templars can't be trusted? lol.

Megas_Doux
01-01-2013, 01:25 AM
I am torn, I REALLY DO!!!! However I will try:

1 "After" Game, so to speak:

Aside from the HORRIBLE - at least to me- idea of removing the back ground music while freeroam, I enjoy "just fooling around" much on more on AC3 than AC2, and that despite the fact of both Florence and Venice┤s huge landmarks. It is just that love how the whole lot of those new mechanics "suit" The Frontier and New York┤s docks greatly. So this goes to AC3!!!!!

2 Story:

I find AC3 much more "creative" and thus better.......However AC2 narrates it in an easier way, and since Ezio is a little bit more "cliche" than Connor, that helps a lot. So I will go on a draw here.

3 Platforming levels:

Yes!!!! Ford Wolcott is PRETTY COOL, however it pales in comparison to the GREAT Assassin┤s Tombs mostly Saint Mark and Firenze┤s Huge cathedral! Therefore, AC2 wins!

4 Combat and Freerunning:

AC2 is the most boring one in the series to date, Ac3 however rules them all, and that goest to the Freerunning as well. AC3 wins this one.

5 Extras:

On behalf of AC2 we have the assassin contracts, beat up events, races and THE UBER COOL GLYPHS!!!!!! Meanwhile AC3 has hunting, forts, clubs and NAVAL GAMEPLAY!!!! Another draw!

6 Music:

Balfe did a good job, despite the fact that most of it goes either unreleased or unheard .......... Kyd did a SUPERB Work, my favorite ever in any game!!!! This goes to AC2!!!!

So, on a VERY TOUGH choice, I would say AC3.....

SixKeys
01-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Heres how you tell whether a story is good.

ask: What was the morale of the story.
Ask yourself: What was the morale of AC2
Ask yourself: What was the morale of AC3

Once you do this, it will become obvious which has the best story, because you'll notice... one of the games don't have a morale of the story

Why should only stories with a moral be good?

If I had to say what morals each story presented in the end:

AC2 = Revenge does not bring peace of mind
AC3 = Sometimes, nothing you do matters in the grand scheme of things

FirestarLuva
01-01-2013, 02:14 AM
AC2 or AC3?
Can I love both? :3
And where's AC1? It was just as good.

Toa TAK
01-01-2013, 03:10 AM
My vote goes to III, there are some aspects of II that completely own III (soundtrack), ACIII really got me in all the right places.

Assassin_M
01-01-2013, 03:44 AM
AC III..

didn't even have any second thoughts..

Combat wins in AC III
Graphics wins in AC III
Story wins in AC III
Protagonist wins in AC III
and finally...AC III brought back Investigation. ACTUAL investigation, albeit linear and for me that`s a step..

AC III has TERRIBLE flaws...TERRIBLE, Unforgivable flaws, but with an Awesome story and so much to do, I can`t help but hope for a bright future for this direction. AC II had tall, shiny buildings, interesting time frame and a very lovable Protagonist....MEHHHHHHHHH. Ezio was basically an errand boy for THE ENTIRE GAME. He has everything done for him. Paola finds Uberto and Lorenzo finds the Pazzis...etc Lorenzo SENDS him (yes, sends him. said by Ezio himself) Ezio never grows out of the errand boy character throughout AC II. Connor does. he starts as another errand boy, but by the age of 22 he planned an entire attack and infiltration on a fort...all alone and it works to an extent.

I never felt Ezio`s growth, but twice. After killing Vieri and during the Infiltration of the Vatican. all the rest at the start and in between. He`s a brash playboy who kills people. Connor grows many times. The Innocence of Childhood to Brashness of youth to Anger at Cynicism to Realization and maturity (We don't see much of that in AC III..just a hint in the end) He`s naive and that`s the only thing that keeps him the best for me. He refuses to grow out of it. he believes that the world is what he sees ALONE. not what lies inside deeper darkness. he says it to Adams. he refuses to grow out of saying the truth. to the Police officers if falsely detained, to the people if falsely accused, to his mentor if always brought down. Connor is a much, much MUCH more interesting Character than Ezio. He has so many layers, so much room for growth. He has the best of any moments of video game history. "STOP" "plotted to kill the commander, almost killed you as well..he`s a scoundrel" "But still a man" EVERY bit of my emotions moved during this dialogue. It was so deep and I`m not over reacting. Connor is a hero...and I never thought I`d say this, but he`s a true hero, as corny as that sounds. He`s not Batman. He kills yet he`s the most compassionate human being ever (Strictly talking from a fantastical point here) He angers, he rages...Yes, He`s a Human being. Love Connor...a Genius creation.

At the age of 22 and he plans an entire attack, at the age of 19 and he`s a captain of ship, at the age of 21 and he has more respect for the dead than Ezio did when he was 52. He`s pretty intelligent as well..never seen much of Intelligence from Ezio in AC II. Leonardo builds him gadgets, Mario helps planning, Lorenzo finds the Pazzis, Paola finds Uberto, Teodora finds Golden mask and Marco, Bartolameo finds Silvio, Volpe finds Franceso and it goes on...I never felt like I`m DOING anything in AC II...i`m always helped by someone and i`m not even the one that plans it...No problem with people helping, but at least make me feel like the Protagonist is Intelligent....He constantly insults the genius, because he`s too much of a brick to understand...I`m surprised Leonardo put up with so much...

I need not discuss gameplay. AC III is superior in every way...

TrueAssassin77
01-01-2013, 03:52 AM
Why should only stories with a moral be good?

If I had to say what morals each story presented in the end:

AC2 = Revenge does not bring peace of mind
AC3 = Sometimes, nothing you do matters in the grand scheme of things

Your AC2 moral doesn't make sense man. He never got the ultimate revenge then regretted afterwards. he never regretted killing anyone. nor did he think back over his murders. Your AC2 "moral" does though fit right into one AC3's MANY morals...

TrueAssassin77
01-01-2013, 03:54 AM
AC III..

didn't even have any second thoughts..

Combat wins in AC III
Graphics wins in AC III
Story wins in AC III
Protagonist wins in AC III
and finally...AC III brought back Investigation. ACTUAL investigation, albeit linear and for me that`s a step..

AC III has TERRIBLE flaws...TERRIBLE, Unforgivable flaws, but with an Awesome story and so much to do, I can`t help but hope for a bright future for this direction. AC II had tall, shiny buildings, interesting time frame and a very lovable Protagonist....MEHHHHHHHHH. Ezio was basically an errand boy for THE ENTIRE GAME. He has everything done for him. Paola finds Uberto and Lorenzo finds the Pazzis...etc Lorenzo SENDS him (yes, sends him. said by Ezio himself) Ezio never grows out of the errand boy character throughout AC II. Connor does. he starts as another errand boy, but by the age of 22 he planned an entire attack and infiltration on a fort...all alone and it works to an extent.

I never felt Ezio`s growth, but twice. After killing Vieri and during the Infiltration of the Vatican. all the rest at the start and in between. He`s a brash playboy who kills people. Connor grows many times. The Innocence of Childhood to Brashness of youth to Anger at Cynicism to Realization and maturity (We don't see much of that in AC III..just a hint in the end) He`s naive and that`s the only thing that keeps him the best for me. He refuses to grow out of it. he believes that the world is what he sees ALONE. not what lies inside deeper darkness. he says it to Adams. he refuses to grow out of saying the truth. to the Police officers if falsely detained, to the people if falsely accused, to his mentor if always brought down. Connor is a much, much MUCH more interesting Character than Ezio. He has so many layers, so much room for growth. He has the best of any moments of video game history. "STOP" "plotted to kill the commander, almost killed you as well..he`s a scoundrel" "But still a man" EVERY bit of my emotions moved during this dialogue. It was so deep and I`m not over reacting. Connor is a hero...and I never thought I`d say this, but he`s a true hero, as corny as that sounds. He`s not Batman. He kills yet he`s the most compassionate human being ever (Strictly talking from a fantastical point here) He angers, he rages...Yes, He`s a Human being. Love Connor...a Genius creation.

At the age of 22 and he plans an entire attack, at the age of 19 and he`s a captain of ship, at the age of 21 and he has more respect for the dead than Ezio did when he was 52. He`s pretty intelligent as well..never seen much of Intelligence from Ezio in AC II. Leonardo builds him gadgets, Mario helps planning, Lorenzo finds the Pazzis, Paola finds Uberto, Teodora finds Golden mask and Marco, Bartolameo finds Silvio, Volpe finds Franceso and it goes on...I never felt like I`m DOING anything in AC II...i`m always helped by someone and i`m not even the one that plans it...No problem with people helping, but at least make me feel like the Protagonist is Intelligent....He constantly insults the genius, because he`s to much of a brick to understand...I`m surprised Leonardo put up with so much...

I need not discuss gameplay. AC III is superior in every way...

putting this thread and page nto my favorites JUST for this post

Assassin_M
01-01-2013, 04:46 AM
putting this thread and page nto my favorites JUST for this post
Read it:p once a day xD

Death_Aflame
01-01-2013, 05:37 AM
Assassin's Creed II. Didn't have to think about it.

Ezio > Connor.

Ezio: More indepth character, when he gets sad, we feel sympathetic. He had emotions, anger, hate.
Connor: No depth. Never shows emotions other than anger and some happiness when *SPOILER ALERT* Norris and Mariam get married. He doesn't show any emotion at Achilles' funeral.

Connor's literally a failed Alta´r. He tries to act like Alta´r in terms of tone and emotional control, but it's nothing but a complete failure.

Assassin_M
01-01-2013, 06:04 AM
when he gets sad, we feel sympathetic. He had emotions, anger, hate.

Which reminds me...

I NEVER felt Ezio`s sorrow. a few months after Cristina dies, he`s in bed with Caterina. A few days after his father and brothers are killed he`s flirting with Paola.
Hmm...I can`t think of any other "sad" moments....

Connor on the other hand, sees his mother die, his mentor die, his best friend die an his father die. and each time I see a different kind of sorrow and each is VERY realistic. When his mother dies, he`s screaming, asking about his mother, relieved to see her still alive, anxious to try to save her and that final scream....*Shivers* When his Mentor dies, he`s gutted. He does not really cry. Achilles was ill and in bed, sudden "expected" (Ironic I know) deaths never sink in at the moment. You can feel it when he says "Achilles.." for the last time before discovering he`s just a body now. At the funeral he`s accepted it. Achilles is gone and his face still has sorrow. It was all just very realistic to me. When he kills Kanentokon, you just look at his face and his final patting to his friend`s body...I wanted nothing more. Finally his father, That final look he gave him from above when Haytham fell just SCREAMS "I`m sorry...But you left me no choice" he regrets killing his father. he wanted family...he was all that`s left.

Another thing to point out is the scarring. I never felt that ANY death scarred Ezio. He was always joking, flirting and having a good time. The moments of happiness Connor has actually count.. He`s never happy, because you know....He saw his mother burning alive and all...That scars for life and it works with Connor. Ezio ? Hmm....screwing every living thing in Italia..Even those he does not know "I`ll give a private riding lesson" "Oh SIIIIIIIII" I hated it. After Connor sees his mother die, you feel him broken. his rare smiles as a teen are broken. After Connor kills Kanentokon, you see it when he meets La fayette at Monmouth. He`s sad...face to the ground even as La Fayette boasts their "victory". The most important thing with sorrow is aftermath...I did not have time to feel sad for Ezio, because the next moment..."Ehh he hey...Under the table ah ?"

Moments of Connor`s happiness are selfless and pleasant..During the wedding he`s happy for Myriam and Norris, during the labor, he`s happy for Prudence and Warren, during the exodus of the Brits, he`s happy for the Colonists....He`s never happy for himself..Any action he does is ultimately stripped from all his influence by HIM himself. I found my self smiling throughout the cutscene of Norris and Myriam telling Connor about their marriage..

Oh I`m sorry, i did not mean to attack your Opinion. Yours just reminded me of a point I forgot to make...

TrueAssassin77
01-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Assassin's Creed II. Didn't have to think about it.

Ezio > Connor.

Ezio: More indepth character, when he gets sad, we feel sympathetic. He had emotions, anger, hate.
Connor: No depth. Never shows emotions other than anger and some happiness when *SPOILER ALERT* Norris and Mariam get married. He doesn't show any emotion at Achilles' funeral.

Connor's literally a failed Alta´r. He tries to act like Alta´r in terms of tone and emotional control, but it's nothing but a complete failure.

ill have a piece of whatever you're smoking.

TrueAssassin77
01-01-2013, 06:10 AM
Which reminds me...

I NEVER felt Ezio`s sorrow. a few months after Cristina dies, he`s in bed with Caterina. A few days after his father and brothers are killed he`s flirting with Paola.
Hmm...I can`t think of any other "sad" moments....

Connor on the other hand, sees his mother die, his mentor die, his best friend die an his father die. and each time I see a different kind of sorrow and each is VERY realistic. When his mother dies, he`s screaming, asking about his mother, relieved to see her still alive, anxious to try to save her and that final scream....*Shivers* When his Mentor dies, he`s gutted. He does not really cry. Achilles was ill and in bed, sudden "expected" (Ironic I know) deaths never sink in at the moment. You can feel it when he says "Achilles.." for the last time before discovering he`s just a body now. At the funeral he`s accepted it. Achilles is gone and his face still has sorrow. It was all just very realistic to me. When he kills Kanentokon, you just look at his face and his final patting to his friend`s body...I wanted nothing more. Finally his father, That final look he gave him from above when Haytham fell just SCREAMS "I`m sorry...But you left me no choice" he regrets killing his father. he wanted family...he was all that`s left.

Another thing to point out is the scarring. I never felt that ANY death scarred Ezio. He was always joking, flirting and having a good time. The moments of happiness Connor has actually count.. He`s never happy, because you know....He saw his mother burning alive and all...That scars for life and it works with Connor. Ezio ? Hmm....screwing every living thing in Italia..Even those he does not know "I`ll give a private riding lesson" "Oh SIIIIIIIII" I hated it. After Connor sees his mother die, you feel him broken. his rare smiles as a teen are broken. After Connor kills Kanentokon, you see it when he meets La fayette at Monmouth. He`s sad...face to the ground even as La Fayette boasts their "victory". The most important thing with sorrow is aftermath...I did not have time to feel sad for Ezio, because the next moment..."Ehh he hey...Under the table ah ?"

Oh I`m sorry, i did not mean to attack your Opinion. Yours just reminded me of a point I forgot to make...

i'm so glad i favorited this page

Assassin_M
01-01-2013, 06:27 AM
i'm so glad i favorited this page
And i`m glad you like my posts;)

Also...Ohhhhh I really thought AC II was going to be winning by a mile:rolleyes: /Sarcasm

But What does it matter ?, It`s "Just a poll on the internet", but that`s only because AC III is winning. If AC II was winning, then this poll would`v been hailed as everything the community needed to measure the reception globally..:rolleyes:

Wolfmeister1010
01-01-2013, 06:30 AM
And i`m glad you like my posts;)

And im glad you chose to see my thread! Wow assassin M, you are on like, everysingle thread i make!

TrueAssassin77
01-01-2013, 06:33 AM
And im glad you chose to see my thread! Wow assassin M, you are on like, everysingle thread i make!

get over yourself man. M is like on every thread. you're not special.
*hears the sound of dreams shattering and of the heart breaking... smiles in satisfaction*

Assassin_M
01-01-2013, 06:33 AM
Because most of your threads are either interesting or have a topic that I generally agree with;)

Assassin_M
01-01-2013, 06:34 AM
get over yourself man. M is like on every thread. you're not special.
*hears the sound of dreams shattering and of the heart breaking... smiles in satisfaction*
No I`m not D:

Be nice:p

TrueAssassin77
01-01-2013, 06:35 AM
No I`m not D:

Be nice:p

Sorry. It's just the sound of dreams shattering... *shivers*
and the sound of hearts breaking... *wets lips*

Assassin_M
01-01-2013, 06:39 AM
That`s....That`s so sick and evil D:

TrueAssassin77
01-01-2013, 06:43 AM
That`s....That`s so sick and evil D:

Yeah, I'm sick and evil. Yet I'm constantly fighting to assist your country

Assassin_M
01-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Yeah, I'm sick and evil. Yet I'm constantly fighting to assist your country
Excellently played....

Wolfmeister1010
01-01-2013, 06:47 AM
D: how could you! You have shattered my dreams indeed. You, sir, have ruined my new year. I was having such a nice time but now im going to die from sadness. *curls in fetal position and cries*

TrueAssassin77
01-01-2013, 06:54 AM
D: how could you! You have shattered my dreams indeed. You, sir, have ruined my new year. I was having such a nice time but now im going to die from sadness. *curls in fetal position and cries*

*drinks some kool-aid and watches in ecstasy*

Wolfmeister1010
01-01-2013, 07:01 AM
*drinks some kool-aid and watches in ecstasy*

*sheds single man tear and decides life is no longer worth living. Heads to subway station in newyork in the middle of new year celebration. Stands in way of train as people look on in horror. But, just at the last second, connor comes in and saves me!! He drags me to safety and lectures me on the importance of life and justice. Then, he flies away on his purple unicorn and disapears in a flash of light snd a flurry of confetti! Realizes life is worth living and rides home on a giant talking alpaca* ..........*puts down the crack*

pirate1802
01-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Ok, this is a tough one.

Characters: AC III had not one but two of my favourite AC characters. Both Haytham and Connor, were unique and unlike anything we've seen before. People find Connor emotionless, but I saw plenty of emotions of his face. I saw sadness when he found Achilles's last letter, I saw cruelty and he wrenched that guy's hand to almost breaking point during the final mission, I saw simultaneous surprise and disgust when Putnam called him mad as a march hare. I saw happiness at the wedding, I saw discomfort whenever a stranger touches him. I loved how he joins his hands while talking to people he respects (Noticed this the first time when he explained his motives to Sam Adams), I saw shame when he argued with Achilles before heading to NY. Haytham was revolutionary in his own terms. Since when have I felt that kind of connection to the (or one of the) main antagonist of the game? Since when I found agreeing to literally every word that pored out of a game's main bad guy? Probably for the first time since I talked to Garnier de Naplouse in AC1. Every villain I killed, told me something to think over. Each of them had a different motive than the other. I found myself confused after I killed my targets, whereas in AC2 I was like "Fk yea.. another fat baddy killed. Onto the next one." Achilles too was a gem of a character, though he is very underrated. AC III, although having less characters, have each of them crafted beautifully, AC2, while having more, not many of them are rememberable, almost none outside the Brotherhood.

Story: AC III had the better overall story of the franchise by a long mile. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I liked the ambiguity and greyness of AC1 and which was almost totally absent in the Ezio trilogy. AC III brought that back. The story moved along nicely from Haytham arriving in the colonies to conceiving Connor, him growing up, finding Achilles, Haytham, going on a journey to save his people and eventually losing everything in the process. It was heartbreaking but in a good way. However, AC2 had more Ezio sequences. I felt AC III should have had atleast 2-3 more sequences and arriving at NY should have been the halfway point of the game length, kinda like how arriving at Venice was for AC2. Simply put, there wasn't enough Connor-The-Hero time in AC III

Music: AC2 hand down. That was a magical piece of work. I still listen to them regularly and wonder. AC III had good music too, but the lack of ambient score hurt it.

Sidequests: AC III hands down. While some of them were a little underdeveloped (assassination missions, delivery missions etc) Others were absolutely great (Peg leg, naval stuff, frontiersmen, Brawlers). The sheer amount and variety of them carry them through.

Main missions: AC2 wins here. While AC III had some great moments, AC2 had more.

Locations: AC III beats AC2 by a whisker. On one hand you have the magical Venice and the beautiful Firenze, you have the breathtaking Frontier and the Homestead on AC III's side.

Gameplay: Nothing to say here. AC III is, except a few niggles, the pinnacle of AC gameplay.

So, overall AC III is better by a big margin IMO. And yet, AC2 had that magical something which AC III misses. When you stand on Venice rooftops on a misty morning and that Venice Industry track plays, you feel the magic flowing through your brains. Maybe its nostalgia + the absence of ambient music. Maybe I'll feel the same about AC III thee years down the line.

telcontar7
01-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Characters; ACII by far. ACIII has only 2 or 3 interesting characters. It's no match for ACII.

Story: ACII by far.

Music: ACII by far. ACIII has a bland and uninspired soundtrack. On the other hand ACII's soundtrack makes you feel the atmosphere and emotions of the game.

Sidequests: A lot of improvements in ACIII, so ACIII for this point.

Main missions: I would say they're equal.

Locations: ACII. ACIII has the Frontier, which is pretty much amazing, but it can get boring after a while. ACII has Florence and Venice, and pretty much all the locations are superior to the ones in ACIII.

Gameplay: ACIII. It would've been terrible if it didn't improve on previous games.

kuled2012
01-01-2013, 04:00 PM
It's funny that from what I've seen here, when AC2 was released people complained about it and now it's like the best thing ever. Has it been the same for every game released on here?

BATISTABUS
01-01-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm not really sure why people are saying they like AC2's characters better, though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Liking Ezio over Connor is one thing, but the supporting cast for AC3 was far superior in my opinion. Haytham and Achilles prove this alone...they were much more complex and interesting, not to mention quite likable. Enemies had more interesting motives besides just being corrupt and/or members of the church. The only thing about AC2's side characters was that there were more of them on your side. A more interesting discussion would be AC3's characters vs AC1's characters (Al Mualim, Malik, various members of The 9).

I'm not even going to bother touching the story and music debates...

Noble6
01-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Even though AC3 is better in almost everything compared to AC2 I think AC2 was better because it had better location and charachters (not thinking Templars)and felt nothing like any game I had played before. This is why it had great atmosphere and it was very immersive. As experience it was better than AC3 . If I had played AC3 first things might be different.

lothario-da-be
01-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Its a hard choice and ac2 wins for me.Probably because it gives me a nostalgic feeling if i think about it.

YuurHeen
01-02-2013, 09:40 AM
ac1

lothario-da-be
01-02-2013, 12:40 PM
ac1
ac1 has a lot of great things the others haven't, but it was very repititive, there were barely any side missions and combat was harder then ezio's trilogy but there is less variation. For me ac1 is a big wasted potential in terms of open world aspects. The game is VERY good don't understand me wrong but for me its defenitly the worst of the series.

EzioAssassin51
01-02-2013, 01:09 PM
I don't get how the pacing was bad... Can someone clear that up for me? Cause I honestly don't find it bad at all and I liked all the extra story. Haytham's was a pleasant surprise and something different for the franchise and playing as a young Connor meant more development. Plus, playing as Haytham led to a bigger connection between the player and him as a character and Connor and Haytham, since you had played as both father and son. It made the final moments of the game a lot more emotional and (insert other word I cannot think of here)

TrueAssassin77
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I don't get how the pacing was bad... Can someone clear that up for me? Cause I honestly don't find it bad at all and I liked all the extra story. Haytham's was a pleasant surprise and something different for the franchise and playing as a young Connor meant more development. Plus, playing as Haytham led to a bigger connection between the player and him as a character and Connor and Haytham, since you had played as both father and son. It made the final moments of the game a lot more emotional and (insert other word I cannot think of here)

connors part of the story went by to fast... unlike haythams part

lothario-da-be
01-02-2013, 01:20 PM
connors part of the story went by to fast... unlike haythams part
But we will get at least 2 games with Connor.

exkrima
01-02-2013, 11:50 PM
my vote goes to ACIII

Chariflame
01-03-2013, 01:09 AM
I'm finding the preference of ACIII quite surprising! Everyone I've spoken to about ACIII really didn't like it as much as ACII. How curious.

ACII just felt more polished, to me. Never mind ACIII's initial release being riddled with bugs, but the story just didn't seem as strong and perfected as ACII's. This isn't a case of 'bluh bluh ezio is better than connor', I just think the quality and coherency of the writing was a lot stronger in ACII than in ACIII. The modern plot was strong and leading up to things to come, while ACIII's modern things were a bit... underwhelming. A point I saw brought up elsewhere was that you can tell that a huge team worked on ACIII - it seems a bit inconsistent and slapdash here and there. Different design views conflicting, too many cooks spoil the broth, etc.

I don't know if I'm still just sentimental over ACII, but ACIII was slightly disappointing for me and I've found a lot of people (both online here and on Tumblr/Twitter, and people irl who don't particularly participate in fandom) thinking the same.

Assassin_M
01-03-2013, 01:15 AM
I'm finding the preference of ACIII quite surprising! Everyone I've spoken to about ACIII really didn't like it as much as ACII. How curious.

ACII just felt more polished, to me. Never mind ACIII's initial release being riddled with bugs, but the story just didn't seem as strong and perfected as ACII's. This isn't a case of 'bluh bluh ezio is better than connor', I just think the quality and coherency of the writing was a lot stronger in ACII than in ACIII. The modern plot was strong and leading up to things to come, while ACIII's modern things were a bit... underwhelming. A point I saw brought up elsewhere was that you can tell that a huge team worked on ACIII - it seems a bit inconsistent and slapdash here and there. Different design views conflicting, too many cooks spoil the broth, etc.

I don't know if I'm still just sentimental over ACII, but ACIII was slightly disappointing for me and I've found a lot of people (both online here and on Tumblr/Twitter, and people irl who don't particularly participate in fandom) thinking the same.
There were people who were disappointed by AC II during its Initial release as well...

I`m one of them and I`m the complete opposite of your views...

It`s not really THAT surprising..

BK-110
01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Here are some of my biggest reasons for prefering AC3:

1. I find Connor a much more interesting character than Ezio. Ezio was a very cliche type of character until ACR and Embers gave him a bit more nuance.
2. I'd say that AC2's combat is the worst in the series. While it did add some interesting things like disarming and added the different archetypes, it was really just a stripped-down version of AC1's combat without AC1's options of playing offensively, with heavy and timed attacks. AC3 takes a different approach altogether, one that works very well and gives a huge variety of options.
3. I prefer AC3's story by far. As I said, I find Connor to be a more interesting character and I love how the game gives a much more neutral look at both the Assassins and the Templars, much like AC1 did. AC2's Templars were quite honestly 2-dimensional, cliche villains. The whole conflict over a nation in the making and all the twists and turns throughout are incredible. Also, the Desmond part of the story is a lot more interesting than in AC2, seeing as it's much more crucial.
4. Naval combat. I love me some naval combat.