PDA

View Full Version : Freerunning and parkour

AssassinSteals
12-31-2012, 08:36 PM
I know that calling it freerunning has been a part of assassin's creed since they started, but it's incorrect and to me as a traceur gives off the wrong image. It's not a big deal, but thought it was a good subject because most people don't know the difference between parkour and freerunning or don't even know that there is a difference at all. Parkour itself is the practice of moving quickly and efficiently throughout the environment. Freerunning is essentially this, but with flips and tricks. Freerunning was a term coined in the documentary Jump London where Sebastien Foucan and other yamakasi members showed their "version" of parkour that included impressive corporal feats.

Anyways, a company named Urban Freeflow, started by a man known as EZ who simply wanted to monetize parkour and freerunning by selling shirts, shoulder bags, and other merchandise. The group appealed to younger audiences and they were led in believing that parkour is about flips and showing off as much impressive stuff that you can. With the start of youtube and video sharing, parkour and freerunning became two completely separated things mandated by the beliefs of the new age freerunners and the traceurs who felt the need to distance themselves from such an attitude. Parkour was never about showing off, it was never about competition until now.

However, parkour still isn't very well known. People know about jumping around and stuff because they see it in movies, but the practice itself isn't recognized. David Belle (founder of parkour) even stated that police officers in France often mistook him as a robber or something when he trained. It's very apparent because Ubisoft, being a french company, doesn't know the difference.

There's not really much of a point to this thread, just thought it would be interesting to share.

Off topic, are there any other traceurs on this forum playing the game? I liked the combat and being able to be stealthy by climbing things and using a variety of tools, but I've never been drawn into the game because of its parkour aspects. The game's parkour system actually feels very limited to me, but they've made progress by adding a vaulting system (although the vaults are pretty shoddily done for my tastes) and many new animations. I've always been annoyed at the rolls in the game though, I've always said "ouch..." in my mind because he always does a front roll and not a shoulder roll. The tree climbing is actually really fun to me, if not a bit linear.

ToughGuy31
12-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Well, I haven't physically freeran, but I am a fan of it. And I know what you mean by stuff like the roll not looking right.