PDA

View Full Version : AC3 Privateer Contract (The Giant in the Storm) ISSUE!

r3ap3rsg
12-30-2012, 11:34 PM
So out of the whole AC3 game I had zero issues except for this one mission. I have 99 % sync I have replayed this mission 20 times and every time no success. I'm getting very aggravated I hate missions that don't rely on skill but sheer luck of the game giving it to you. I have all the upgrades on my ship I hit the ships in the bow by ramming them and sometimes it destroy their ship with one hit or I hit them again and they get destroyed but sometimes randomly the hit will work on maybe one ship and I can shoot the weak spot/powder spot. This is B.S. You need to fix this mission and make a sure fire way of exposing the powder spot. Any tips that may have worked for anyone else? Ive tried many different tactics but have yet to master exposing the weak spot. An update would be nice! I want my 100% sync achievement.

ACfan443
12-30-2012, 11:41 PM
This mission, and the one where you had to destroy all this ships in 1:30 were a pain in the arse to 100% sync. Since you've upgraded your ram, it's even harder to make sure you expose the powder stores and not destroy the ship.
I suggest that you use the chain shot to stop the frigates, then use the round shot and shoot the front of the ships without too much force (I.e don't hold down R1 too long)
That should expose the stores, but it's still trial and error

cmrggamer
12-31-2012, 12:08 AM
I had the hardest time with this mission and the one ACfan443 mentioned. I honestly watched a few videos and I felt like this guy just explained it the best. After watching his, I went back, it took several times, but it definitely helped me and hopefully it will help you too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHu1UCEAiXE

TheSpong
12-31-2012, 01:23 AM
Ram them, but not head on or at a 90 degree angle, and reduce your speed just before the collision by dropping down to half sail. Slowing your speed and not hitting the bow of the opposing ship with full force reduces the damage that your fully upgraded ram inflicts, increasing the chances of exposing the weak spot instead of sinking the ship outright.

Or you can go to full stop, sit there, and let the opposing boats do all the sailing around you. Predicting their path is a lot simpler if you're not adding to the motion, that way you can time & aim cannon shots at the bow a lot easier, even at a distance.

r3ap3rsg
12-31-2012, 01:26 AM
I got it! Thank you! To anyone else that may read this looking for advice do not ram the ships like the book tells you. Just use your round shot and aim at the front of the boat but try to only hit it with a couple of your rounds. I found that leading the other ships was best so not all the rounds hit it. That way you do no inflict as much damage but all your shots that do hit it, hit it in the bow which opens up the sweet spot! Got it first try once I realized that.

TheSpong
12-31-2012, 01:35 AM
Congrats! :cool:

montagemik
12-31-2012, 04:25 AM
I got it! Thank you! To anyone else that may read this looking for advice do not ram the ships like the book tells you. Just use your round shot and aim at the front of the boat but try to only hit it with a couple of your rounds. I found that leading the other ships was best so not all the rounds hit it. That way you do no inflict as much damage but all your shots that do hit it, hit it in the bow which opens up the sweet spot! Got it first try once I realized that.

I did the same thing , but chain shot each ship first = Then come to full stop in front of their bow & aim only part of your Cannon fire at each bow .

Kraschman2010
01-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Actually I've have good success ramming them. disable the vessels with chain shot, Head at full sail for the man-o-war and half sail for the frigates, and in each case come to a stop just before hitting them. This reduces damage as the poster above noted. It MAY require more than one pass... but then once you have the barrels visible open fire...

Yoshack Fyre84
01-15-2013, 04:38 AM
This mission is ridiculous! And how can you make the chain shot hit even? I've tried firing chain shot, perfect shots, they just fly over the ships doing ZERO damage........

SixKeys
01-15-2013, 05:10 AM
This mission is ridiculous! And how can you make the chain shot hit even? I've tried firing chain shot, perfect shots, they just fly over the ships doing ZERO damage........

You have to be really close to use the chain shot.

TheRealDABhand
01-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Chain shot is designed to take down sails, don't use it on the hull even close up.

Use round shots, just don't hold down the fire button too long (i.e. more widespread shots) this will inflict less damage.